Sad
1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hello!

We have just rolled out an exciting new update on SRL which consists of a significant upgrade to the front page, a complete restructuring of our FAQ, and many smaller changes. We published an announcement on our site which you can find HERE, detailing not only these changes, but also answering many outstanding questions.

The announcement is fairly long, but we feel that it was warranted. If you don't wish to read it all we understand, and hope that you enjoy the new features anyway!

We'd love to hear your feedback, and all of staff will be monitoring this thread for the upcoming week or so.
Any additional feedback following that can be sent to staff@speedrunslive.com, our respective twitters, or simply reaching out via PM on our IRC server.

The feedback we are looking for is mostly regarding our ideas on how season 2 should be structured, front page features and performance, and whether or not any work has already been done towards an event calendar like the one mentioned in our announcement. While feedback on the latest visual design is welcome, we do not plan to focus on minor design tweaks until the next set of features we have planned are in place.

The announcement already contains our thanks to everyone involved. However, a special thanks goes out to our developers and staff who have been working hard to bring you this update, and of course all the users and racers of the site!
Thread title:  
I've been wondering this for a while, but Hitbox streams on SRL have had the option for people to follow them off front page, but Twitch streams still have not had that option. I feel like an embedded Follow button would be a good addition to front page Twitch streams. Only current way to follow is to go to their profile then to their Twitch stream to then follow them from there, but that's not obvious to most people watching.

Btw the front page looks really awesome now and you and others did an awesome job on it. Good luck with season 2! Cheesy
@tiburonCS
SRL frontpage not being an arcane mystery is long overdue. Thanks to everyone who worked on the site.
Nice update
Edit history:
ItsMarill_: 2014-11-12 11:29:17 pm
ItsMarill_: 2014-11-12 11:29:06 pm
I don't think there's enough charact
Are the old requirements to join the SRL front page still needed?
(Having race stats to a certain degree. I forgot the hours needed).

-Edit: Never mind, should've looked around more before asking the question. Awesome update. It's looking a lot better, and we're finally moving forward with what we wanted.
Thank you for the effort.
Quote from Mr_Shasta:
I've been wondering this for a while, but Hitbox streams on SRL have had the option for people to follow them off front page, but Twitch streams still have not had that option. I feel like an embedded Follow button would be a good addition to front page Twitch streams. Only current way to follow is to go to their profile then to their Twitch stream to then follow them from there, but that's not obvious to most people watching.

Btw the front page looks really awesome now and you and others did an awesome job on it. Good luck with season 2! Cheesy

When we looked into adding the follow button for Twitch it was fairly complicated. Esi says it's been changed now and he will look into it.
Looks pretty good.
Since I mostly do attempts instead of racing. It feels nice to be able to be on the front page.
Smörgåsbord
Will bans related to the leaderboards be lifted now?
Quote from Svenne:
Will bans related to the leaderboards be lifted now?

This update won't affect any bans.

Quote from MeGotsThis:
Since I mostly do attempts instead of racing. It feels nice to be able to be on the front page.

Yeah, the old system worked for awhile but this change was definitely long overdue.
Edit history:
TrUShade: 2014-11-13 12:23:20 am
The TrUest of Shades
I guess my one question for this is...

With the auto-detect feature happening now. If say the title was Something something practice [nosrl] which would be picked up? Does the [nosrl] have priority in detecting if the stream should be on SRL or not. Just to make sure I don't get banned and such

-edit-
Page is working amazingly now
Quote from TrUShade:
Looks great overall. Was a little buggy before i signed in.

I guess my one question for this is...

With the auto-detect feature happening now. If say the title was Something something practice [nosrl] which would be picked up? Does the [nosrl] have priority in detecting if the stream should be on SRL or not. Just to make sure I don't get banned and such

Bad words have priority over good words! If you are racing you will always show when using auto-detect though. So yes, using [nosrl] will remove you when using auto-detect.
Looks like a pretty solid update, only thing I can kind of think of (Haven't experimented much yet) is having the SRL front page give default (higher?) priority to pinned Steamers/Games when selecting a stream to show when you load it up.

Not a huge deal by far, but just what I would kinda expect.
Quote from iotku:
Looks like a pretty solid update, only thing I can kind of think of (Haven't experimented much yet) is having the SRL front page give default (higher?) priority to pinned Steamers/Games when selecting a stream to show when you load it up.

Not a huge deal by far, but just what I would kinda expect.

It doesn't for now but it shouldn't show your hidden streams.
Pretty much everything in the update is amazing.  I really like the idea of shorter seasons because I remember playing alttp during that time, and the first month of races was great, and then it trailed off a little bit after that.  A 1 or 2 month competition might make it a bit better in that regard.  The one question I'd have is how many games will be run at a time, and will there be repeats that are constant?  Super popular games like ALttP, SM64, OoT, etc. always have new players coming in and constant races, and it could stand to reason that it wouldn't hurt to have those games "in season" for each iteration as long as it doesn't detract from other games that won't get in each season.
I think the new changes are pretty cool. It would be interesting to know how many SRL viewers a particular stream has instead of just Twitch viewers. I guess it would just rank them roughly the same with smaller numbers though, so I'm not sure how useful that would be other than thinning the gaps between view counts when super popular streamers are at the top.

The two main things I use SRL's front page for are easy browsing and discovering new streamers, so the new requirements are good. I haven't really used it much in awhile, but I wanna give new features a go.
INTJ
Looks neat, I like it. Thank you for your work Smiley

The login doesn't work yet, right? Else my browser might have a problem
Quote from Yagamoth:

It works for me (But I get logged out fairly quickly it seems), should just be your irc nick/ nickserv password
my only question is, if you have the box checked to always appear on the front page, will [nosrl] still work? Great job guys and thank you for everything you do.
Quote from StingerPA:
Pretty much everything in the update is amazing.  I really like the idea of shorter seasons because I remember playing alttp during that time, and the first month of races was great, and then it trailed off a little bit after that.  A 1 or 2 month competition might make it a bit better in that regard.  The one question I'd have is how many games will be run at a time, and will there be repeats that are constant?  Super popular games like ALttP, SM64, OoT, etc. always have new players coming in and constant races, and it could stand to reason that it wouldn't hurt to have those games "in season" for each iteration as long as it doesn't detract from other games that won't get in each season.

This is the kind of feedback we are looking for regarding seasons! Thank you. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to the amount of games, but it should probably be fewer games. One of the criticisms that we have tried to consider is that if we keep including popular games, there's no incentive to learn the less popular season games. I don't have a strong preference whether or not to have repeats but definitely something to consider.

Quote from nathanisbored:
I think the new changes are pretty cool. It would be interesting to know how many SRL viewers a particular stream has instead of just Twitch viewers. I guess it would just rank them roughly the same with smaller numbers though, so I'm not sure how useful that would be other than thinning the gaps between view counts when super popular streamers are at the top.

The two main things I use SRL's front page for are easy browsing and discovering new streamers, so the new requirements are good. I haven't really used it much in awhile, but I wanna give new features a go.

Thanks for your comment, I hope you enjoy the new features! Regarding the SRL viewers, it seems a bit trivial to me. The viewer count would probably be roughly within the same scope as it is at the moment, just a lower number. I guess that's sort of what you already said though. We do have some ideas for helping out new streamers, but nothing solid yet.

Quote from Yagamoth:

Quote from iotku:
It works for me (But I get logged out fairly quickly it seems), should just be your irc nick/ nickserv password

The log in should work fine using your IRC nick and password. We did have some trouble for a while earlier where we might have closed everyones active sessions, but you shouldn't get logged out unless you log in elsewhere or reset your password on IRC. If you do get logged out using the same browser on the same computer, let us know of the details and we'll look into it.

Quote from loafofbread13:
my only question is, if you have the box checked to always appear on the front page, will [nosrl] still work? Great job guys and thank you for everything you do.

[nosrl] will not work in this case, it will always display your stream no matter what tags you use.

INTJ
Well, it appears to me, that the [Login] button doesn't do anything in the first place for me. Neither in FireFox nor in Chrome... I even tried IE, same result. Could that be because I'm missing some sort of update? Java? Flash? Something?
Edit history:
Sluip: 2014-11-13 04:13:55 am
Quote from Yagamoth:
Well, it appears to me, that the [Login] button doesn't do anything in the first place for me. Neither in FireFox nor in Chrome... I even tried IE, same result. Could that be because I'm missing some sort of update? Java? Flash? Something?

I'll pm you on IRC

Edit: It seems you aren't online, my bad! PM me when you have the time.
Talk to the Hand
Question! I know there was a small blacklist of certain games from the frontpage for awhile, is that still in effect? I think Minecraft and Starcraft 2 were two of the games off the top of my head.
Quote from Emptyeye:
Question! I know there was a small blacklist of certain games from the frontpage for awhile, is that still in effect? I think Minecraft and Starcraft 2 were two of the games off the top of my head.

The only game currently on the blacklist is Hearthstone. For everything else, we hope that people will use the auto-detect or front page preferences accordingly.
I have a question about speedrun.com: Is it aiming to get all the best times like the SRL Leaderboards were intended to do or only submitted times?

And an idea for Seasons: Maybe a commentated race between #1 and #2 after the end of the season to determine the winner? Would of course be slightly unfair to #1, but if several races could be done at once that may be a nice event for the viewers?