Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Get over here!
No. The static post is there to keep an overview over existing strats.

I'm still updating it. I'll probably come back to it later and strikethrough some outdated routes/strats to make it more clear what's currently being used.
Edit history:
sychotix: 2015-10-17 12:31:12 pm
New strat for curie inside. Will likely only be used in segmented runs due to its high time constraint. There are other clips that I've found, and the ladder was the only way I found to get back inbounds. I couldn't seem to swipe the omnitool into the escape pod from oob (even with side swiping)

As for timing, I think my timing was around 10 seconds faster, with minor mistakes in both times.

EDIT: This trick may be easier than I thought if you pull the farthest plug first.

MATHEMATICS
Quote from ShadowDraft:

I'm still updating it. I'll probably come back to it later and strikethrough some outdated routes/strats to make it more clear what's currently being used.

Yeah but do I really need to see that everytime I open up the thread? I appreciate the work you do for it, really, but it's just annoying to have to look at something I've already read 6 times.
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-17 05:13:49 pm
Just to bump and announce that I've made a ingame timer mod for SOMA. You can find the link to the mod in the static post.
It's not an active onscreen timer. After completing a map, the mod will notify you with the map completion time along with the total time.

It should remove all load times, auto-save stutters etc. If you do find this not to be correct, please let me know.

Any feedback about the mod is appreciated.

EDIT: Only works for single-segment at the moment.
Quote from 161803398874989:
Quote from ShadowDraft:

Yeah but do I really need to see that everytime I open up the thread? I appreciate the work you do for it, really, but it's just annoying to have to look at something I've already read 6 times.

I think the real problem is that you can't make it any smaller.  I use window snap on my 1920x1080 monitor, which makes this Firefox window only 960px wide.  The fact that #staticfirstpost has a css min-width of 458px makes the actual posts of the page really hard to see (especially when they contain YouTube videos) Undecided
Quote from amzblk:

I've used the mod from Steam by setting the launch options to "-mod IGTMod/entry.hpc" and it's working as expected as far as I know.  There's just a couple oddities that I'd like to point out.

The first is that it seems to start the game completely from scratch, including game settings and keybindings.  Obviously the autosaves don't matter because we always start from scratch, but it would have been nice to have carried over my mouse sensitivity because that kinda thing is hard to get just right.  I don't know if there's anything you could have done about this though.

The other thing is that it seems to work really well for single-segment, but when you exit (without saving) and continue from your previous save, the timer seems to get messed up.

This was after quitting and reloading right around the Catherine meet cutscene.  This kinda makes it hard to use for anything but SS runs (which I guess is optimal, but support for safety saves would be nice).
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-18 05:57:35 am
amzblk: 2015-10-17 06:58:23 pm
amzblk: 2015-10-17 05:38:07 pm
amzblk: 2015-10-17 05:36:11 pm
Quote from ZOMandKatgarr:
The first is that it seems to start the game completely from scratch, including game settings and keybindings.  Obviously the autosaves don't matter because we always start from scratch, but it would have been nice to have carried over my mouse sensitivity because that kinda thing is hard to get just right.  I don't know if there's anything you could have done about this though.

That seems to be the way that the game handles running a separate mod. There's nothing I can do about that, sadly.
EDIT: Under Documents\My Games\Soma\ you will have two folders: Main and MainWithAddons. Simply copy the stuff you want over from the Main folder, like user_keys and user_settings or even autosaves.

Quote from ZOMandKatgarr:
The other thing is that it seems to work really well for single-segment, but when you exit (without saving) and continue from your previous save, the timer seems to get messed up.

This was after quitting and reloading right around the Catherine meet cutscene.  This kinda makes it hard to use for anything but SS runs (which I guess is optimal, but support for safety saves would be nice).

Right now it only supports timing for single-segment, but I'll try to see what I can do.
EDIT: Adding support for exit & load is not that easy right now due to the way the engine works.

I believe if done well, this new strat can save around 30 seconds.
Quote from sychotix:

I believe if done well, this new strat can save around 30 seconds.

Nice route. Also, make sure the box doesn't touch the railing on the bottom floor. For some reason, it can disappear. Hope this saves someone's run!
Quote from amzblk:
Just to bump and announce that I've made a ingame timer mod for SOMA. You can find the link to the mod in the static post.
It's not an active onscreen timer. After completing a map, the mod will notify you with the map completion time along with the total time.

It should remove all load times, auto-save stutters etc. If you do find this not to be correct, please let me know.

Can you please test something with your mod? I'm not big on mods, and I probably won't be using the in-game timer. When entering Omicron outside from Theta exit, there's like half a second of overlap between the brain and the visible level. How does the timer react to that, and how should that part be timed? Just want to ensure accuracy with your mod. In my run, I counted the overlap. Thank you.
Quote from Teravortryx:
Quote from amzblk:

Can you please test something with your mod? I'm not big on mods, and I probably won't be using the in-game timer. When entering Omicron outside from Theta exit, there's like half a second of overlap between the brain and the visible level. How does the timer react to that, and how should that part be timed? Just want to ensure accuracy with your mod. In my run, I counted the overlap. Thank you.

Here's a debug video with the timer running each tick on the left bottom corner:
Edit history:
sychotix: 2015-10-18 06:47:42 am
Quote from Teravortryx:
Just want to ensure accuracy with your mod. In my run, I counted the overlap. Thank you.

The point isn't to make the timer 100% accurate, but instead 100% consistent. If the timer causes us to lose a quarter of a second at the beginning of the run before we technically gain control, and a quarter of a second at the end of the run after the screen has gone black... that is fine. As long as everyone has that happening so we can compare our runs.
Quote from amzblk:
Quote from Teravortryx:
Quote from amzblk:

Here's a debug video with the timer running each tick on the left bottom corner:

Thank you. That transition really is an oddity, since there isn't an autosave after the load. The brain still stutters as usual before the level appears, suggesting an autosave.
After not being able to get the theta_outside transition skip consistently I came up with a setup that has worked for me 100% so far:

You want the handle side of the panel against the door so that it's slanted against the door a little. By pushing it against the door you make sure that the panel is completely parallel.
Slows the door down when it's closing and it doesn't get stuck between both doors until you jump back in.
Edit history:
Teravortryx: 2015-10-18 09:45:50 pm
Teravortryx: 2015-10-18 09:18:46 pm
I just completed a SS run, and I got too excited and accidentally mashed escape for too long in the credits and opened up the menu. I immediately closed it. Is my run still valid(it better be)? If yes, I'll include the menuing in my final time, since half of it is while the ARK map loads.

Also amzblk, WSplit got a time of ~1:05:23 with loads, and your ingame timer lite told me 01:05:21:06, so it must include loads then. Is it something wrong with the timer, or did I mess it up by opening the menu? Thank you.
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-19 02:14:47 pm
amzblk: 2015-10-19 06:16:37 am
amzblk: 2015-10-19 06:09:10 am
amzblk: 2015-10-19 06:04:44 am
amzblk: 2015-10-19 05:29:18 am
amzblk: 2015-10-19 04:02:06 am
amzblk: 2015-10-19 03:47:43 am
amzblk: 2015-10-19 03:42:22 am
Quote from Teravortryx:
Also amzblk, WSplit got a time of ~1:05:23 with loads, and your ingame timer lite told me 01:05:21:06, so it must include loads then. Is it something wrong with the timer, or did I mess it up by opening the menu? Thank you.

That's really weird. I can't think of any reason why it would be that close to the time with loads.
I've verified that it does not include loads, it must be something else. Maybe something in the later maps - I'll look into it.

EDIT: The only logical explanation I can think of is that it might have counted in the intro map in the Lite version
I'm going to have to rerun the game with both mods again to see if the same occurs.
I made a stupid mistake in the Lite version (no timer reset) - my bad.
Fixed version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/er3xxfo5vt73cjc/SOMA_IGTMod_1_6.rar?dl=0
Edit history:
Teravortryx: 2015-10-19 06:44:33 am
Quote from amzblk:
Quote from Teravortryx:

That's really weird. I can't think of any reason why it would be that close to the time with loads.
I've verified that it does not include loads, it must be something else. Maybe something in the later maps - I'll look into it.

EDIT: The only logical explanation I can think of is that it might have counted in the intro map in the Lite version
I'm going to have to rerun the game with both mods again to see if the same occurs.
I made a stupid mistake in the Lite version (no timer reset) - my bad. I'll fix it and edit this post with the link.

Ah. I'll have to rerun the game too, to get more conclusive results.

EDIT: When I do runs, I delete all previous saves, and start my game. If I have to reset, I delete all my saves again. If I resetted in the apartment, does the time between the apartment appearing and the reset get counted the NEXT time I start the game? That's the only logical explanation I've reached from what you told me. My loads are about 1m 30s, so it'll be hard to find the culprit.
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-19 06:53:08 am
amzblk: 2015-10-19 06:50:30 am
Quote from Teravortryx:
Quote from amzblk:
Quote from Teravortryx:

I made a stupid mistake in the Lite version (no timer reset) - my bad. I'll fix it and edit this post with the link.

Ah. I'll have to rerun the game too, to get more conclusive results.

EDIT: When I do runs, I delete all previous saves, and start my game. If I have to reset, I delete all my saves again. If I resetted in the apartment, does the time between the apartment appearing and the reset get counted the NEXT time I start the game? That's the only logical explanation I've reached from what you told me. My loads are about 1m 30s, so it'll be hard to find the culprit.

The timer starts when you enter the main_menu map - in the normal version the timer gets reset when you enter the 00_01_apartment map.
So in the time you got, the time in the main menu and 00_00_intro were included which I'll fix in the next version once I am able to.
Quote from amzblk:
[...] which I'll fix in the next version once I am able to.

I highly recommend that you merge these into a single version for easier maintenance. The easiest way to do this would be some sort of settings section at the top with booleans for what will be enabled/disabled.

Also, we should probably discuss everyone who is willing to do the SOMA run at AGDQ 2016. I can probably make it to the event for a couple days. Nord, ZOMandKatgarr, and Imscoot have all submitted SOMA with the comment "Sort out who is running later."
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-19 02:09:33 pm
amzblk: 2015-10-19 08:07:35 am
Quote from sychotix:
Quote from amzblk:
[...] which I'll fix in the next version once I am able to.

I highly recommend that you merge these into a single version for easier maintenance. The easiest way to do this would be some sort of settings section at the top with booleans for what will be enabled/disabled.

Also, we should probably discuss everyone who is willing to do the SOMA run at AGDQ 2016. I can probably make it to the event for a couple days. Nord, ZOMandKatgarr, and Imscoot have all submitted SOMA with the comment "Sort out who is running later."

The next version will be packaged in a single package, but there will still be two separate mods as there is no easy way of letting the user configure a variable in the script.
I have also merged the script into one and the only difference between the mod scripts will be a single line containing the bool whether it is the lite version or not.
EDIT: I also might have figured out RTA support for the mod
Edit history:
sychotix: 2015-10-19 08:23:36 am
Code:
//-------------SETTINGS------------------------------

static class Settings
{
	/// <summary>
	/// If true, the load times will only be displayed
	/// at the end of the run (when blah blah space map loads)
	/// </summary>
	public static bool isLite = false;

/// <summary>
	/// If true, the timer will support RTA
	/// </summary>
	public static bool allowRTA = true;
}

//-------------END-SETTINGS--------------------------

Could this not be inserted at the top of the HintHandler and a couple of if statements added within the respective functions?
Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-19 02:10:44 pm
amzblk: 2015-10-19 08:30:48 am
Quote from sychotix:
Code:
//-------------SETTINGS------------------------------

static class Settings
{
	/// <summary>
	/// If true, the load times will only be displayed
	/// at the end of the run (when blah blah space map loads)
	/// </summary>
	public static bool isLite = false;

/// <summary>
	/// If true, the timer will support RTA
	/// </summary>
	public static bool allowRTA = true;
}

//-------------END-SETTINGS--------------------------

Could this not be inserted at the top of the HintHandler and a couple of if statements added within the respective functions?

If the only way of configuring the settings is by editing the script files, then I'd rather have separate mods with the variables already set. I think it's better for users to simply alter the -mod parameter than go in and edit, save the actual script.
EDIT: The RTA will be noloads & no pause time (Esc in the game). Simply put, your timer won't fuck up if you exit and load back in
Got RTA with no loads working in Debug mode - did not work on the normal game. Scrapped it. It's a pain.
Quote from sychotix:

I've been practicing regularly to improve my time, and I will continue to do so if I'm accepted as a runner.  I'd also be willing to do a race if either of the other runners are interested.

Technically the runner would be "ZOM" as our channel is used for both me and Katgarr, my roommate.  I'll bring him and our friend Lozan along as couch commentators if I can.
Edit history:
Teravortryx: 2015-10-19 06:08:18 pm
I found myself rarely getting the Shuttle station clip first try, but after practicing it, I found an easy method that I'll be using from now on.

For grabbing the extinguisher, look between the middle and the right edge for the direction, and for height, look at about the bottom of the handle. If you grab it from far away, tap R to bring it closer. Then, stand in the corner shown in the video, look straight away from the door, and look as far down as you can look. Regrab. Done. Another reference you can use, is standing at a 45 degree angle from the extinguisher like in the video, you can grab the bottom left of the handle.

Hope you guys find this useful.

Edit history:
amzblk: 2015-10-21 03:03:04 pm
I've been doing some digging in the game files regarding the load times, in order to make sure we get the ingame timer absolutely right - where times would be comparable from computer to computer.
At the moment with version 1.6 it is not the case. I'll explain exactly why and what I did in version 1.7 to fix it.

The 1.6 timer grabbed times during the OnMapEnter and OnMapLeave engine events. This implementation was flawed, since we could notice that in theta_inside the time spent with the message "Loading..." was not removed.
I quickly implemented a fix, making use of a map timer I saw created in the map script. All of this nasty code was written to execute every tick just to ensure we don't count the time spent with the "Loading..." message in theta_inside:

It only worked for theta_inside, being completely exclusive. Most importantly it's wrong:
The next map is requested as soon as you see the change in colors when you enter the map change trigger. IF 5 seconds elapses, and the next map is still not ready (loaded), the "Loading..." will appear.
Theoretically it means that on slow computers your map might change after 6 seconds of touching the trigger with 1 second of the "Loading" message while a fast computer will load the next map within 2 seconds, never even seeing the "Loading..." message.

The above focuses only on one map, but the "Loading..." message can appear on 14 other maps if your computer is really slow or you're going really fast. I needed a way to catch-all and remove the variable loading time.
I've replaced the nasty theta_inside exclusive code with the following:

Now every time the game queues up a map change, the timer is stopped. I see this as the only way of getting a comparable time.
Here is an example of the new timer in theta_inside if all of the above was too confusing (Red TODO messages appear in the bottom left corner for both when the 1.6 and 1.7 timers stop):

Following is a detailed list of maps with similar behavior as theta_inside.

Timer names:
ChangeMap - Load next map if next map is ready (preloaded) and if not, retry after an interval
ChangePrio - Set background loading priority to High using Map_SetPreloadPriority(eWorldStreamPriority_High);
ChangeMapNotReady - Set background loading priority to VeryHigh using Map_SetPreloadPriority(eWorldStreamPriority_VeryHigh); and exclusively for theta_insite set the player MoveSpeedMultiplier to 0
Map_SetPreloadPriority(eWorldStreamPriority_VeryHigh); is the call that displays the "Loading..." message on screen.

Maps containing map timers:

01_01_upsilon_awake
Timer exists 5 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.5 seconds - no priority timers

01_03_upsilon_outside
Timer exists 0.25 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.25 seconds - VeryHigh priority after 3 seconds

01_04_transport_station
Timer exists 0 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.25 seconds - VeryHigh priority after 3 seconds

02_01_ms_curie_outside
Timer exists 3 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.55 seconds - VeryHigh priority after 8 seconds

02_02_ms_curie_inside
Timer exists 0 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.6 seconds - VeryHigh priority after 3 seconds

02_03_delta
Timer exists 13.6 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.55 seconds - After 15.6 seconds load priority is set to High - After 17 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh

02_04_theta_outside
Timer exists 10 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 1.1 seconds - After 14 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh

02_05_theta_inside
Timer exists 0.7 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.25 seconds - After 5 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh and player MoveSpeedMultiplier set to 0

02_07_theta_exit
Timer exists 0.6 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.6 seconds - After 2 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh

03_01_omicron_outside
Timer exists 0 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.6 seconds - After 3 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh

03_02_omicron_inside
Timer exists 0 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.6 seconds - After 3 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh

03_03_omicron_descent
Timer exists 0 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.1 seconds - no priority timers

04_01_tau_outside
Timer exists 0 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.6 seconds - After 5 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh

04_02_tau_inside
Timer exists 0 seconds before "ChangeMap" triggers - retry every 0.6 seconds - After 5 seconds load priority is set to VeryHigh

04_03_tau_escape

The new changes mean that the ingame timer will stop as soon as the "ChangeMap" timer is created by the game. It will lead to an extra (33.15 + variable load time) seconds removed from the ingame time.
1.7 timer should accurately display a comparable ingame time that excludes loading screens, preloads, auto-save pauses etc.

Download IGTMod 1.7: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw8kugknhskxcmz/SOMA_IGTMod_1_7.rar?dl=0