<- 1234 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
berserker status
iirc we had to put a down payment for sqdq last year and the price range was fairly similar.  Although, not having a personal chef and homemade root beer kinda is a deal breaker.  And a mountain of bacon...I can't believe nobody took a picture of that!  -_____-

I'd like to go, but I might go on a trip with a friend during that time frame.  Also, I haven't really picked up any new games so I'm a bit reluctant to learn something new just for the sake of having something to run at the marathon.  Would like to focus on submitting runs on SDA as well (I know marathon practice and recording attempts aren't mutually exclusive) in the near future.  I'll be donating a couple prizes for sure though.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-02-20 10:35:21 am
Not a walrus
Ok, quick update. Talked to the A/V guy from the hotel today, who ironically is named Nate. Turns out the internet line is still being installed, so he's trying to find out if it'll be ready soon. It's been run to the building but apparently isn't run into the conference rooms yet. And I don't think anybody wants to commit to a place that we can't verify has good internet, because I'm sure a good portion of us remember what happened at CGDQ. I have a couple of slightly more expensive alternatives nearby if for some reason we can't go here, so please don't panic yet. I'll be checking one of them out in the morning.

Edit: Got a call while on my way there that the conference rooms are in use today, and I'll need to come by on Friday instead. Still waiting to hear back from the Sheraton DTC on the internet situation, they said they'd try to get back to me this afternoon. If I haven't heard anything by the time I leave work I'll buzz their phone again.
I just ran into some clips on youtube from agdq and sgdq, and I must say, as a former gamer, I am really impressed of what you all are doing! Not only bringing good gamers to play awesome games in an awesome way, you also make it for a good cause!
I can´t wait to follow the next live stream, wich will be my first!
Keep it up !
Big up!
No pain, no gain
Thanks, Sectoid!

And UA, thanks for all the work you're doing. It's a great help to get this together for the marathon. Hopefully arrangements go alright!
Evermore Extrodinare ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ
If those are the correct dates (And I'm assuming and hoping they are) then I can pretty much 95% guarentee I'll be able to make it down there. I did see that week was available to drivers still though it would be the beginning of the week of the 25th so I'd be able to make it through the 29th. I'd have to drive home Monday. Ironically my birthday is the 25th of that month Tongue so it'd be a sick birthday getting to hang with so many of you from the community. That and Billings isn't that long of a drive to Denver.

Basically as things look now count me in and if they change I will let you know.
wibbly wobbly timey wimey
Well, apparently I'm highest seniority in my department at work, so I can 90% guarantee that I'll be able to come and help out with rides, setup, or whatever else might need to be done.  Best-case scenario is I use my vacation time and get that whole week off.  Will know for sure once times/location get nailed down.
Here's hoping the Sheraton DTC pulls through!
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-02-22 12:47:27 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2013-02-22 12:47:08 pm
Not a walrus
So this morning I checked out a slightly more expensive alternative, the Westin. It's in Northwest Denver instead of South Denver, about the same distance from the airport but in a slightly nicer part of town and closer to the mountains. I was able to verify internet speed (was getting 6.3mbps up from the wall jack and they said they could give us more if we asked for it), so if the Sheraton DTC isn't able to satisfy us we might end up at the Westin instead. It would be a bit more expensive (about an extra $20 a night per room, plus the conference rooms wouldn't be free), but it's comparable to the Sheraton DTC offer.

As for the Sheraton, apparently their fiber optic conduit got crushed and they're having it fixed on Monday, but after THAT CenturyLink still needs to come out and hook up their stuff, so I don't have a good ETA on when I'll be able to test that out again. I've made it pretty clear to them that we need an answer soon or we'll have to go with an alternative (which right now is looking like the Westin), but they offered us the best deal and they'll be sufficient so it's still my first choice if we can get the internet situation figured out.
wibbly wobbly timey wimey
Hey UA, which Westin would that be? The page you linked gives two. (I'm guessing the north one, but that's technically Westminster so best to be sure)

Wonder if the Sheraton might extend that deadline for confirming based on the internet situation... I'd guess not but it'd be nice.
Not a walrus
The issue with the deadline is twofold. The other hotels won't hold onto their offers forever, and we want to get this part nailed down soon so we can start the rest of the event planning. The Sheraton itself is being pretty flexible about it, but neither I nor Mike thinks we can be.

And yeah, I mean the Westin in Westminster. That's still Denver. It's right next to the Westminster Promenade, which has a ton of awesome shops and restaurants, and it's right off the highway so it's easy to get places.

I still have one more place to look at next week, but unless they can come up with something really awesome to convince us, I doubt we'll go with them since their offer was objectively worse than the Westin as far as price.
HELLO!
Westins have treated me well in DC and Atlanta. I'm optimistic.
This is actually making me insanely excited thinking about this. UA, if I am actually able to make it, I will most definitely thank you in person.
Viking it up
Whether or not I get to run something on main stream, I'm hoping to be there.  The timing is looking really good all around for me, both for time off work and having my game practiced up.  I'm going to be following this planning process as closely as possible.  I am always willing to help with menial / tedious tasks, as well.
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-02-24 11:21:22 pm
UraniumAnchor: 2013-02-24 11:09:02 pm
Not a walrus
main room at the westin, it's got a balcony right there for people to enjoy the view or have a smoke or whatever
secondary room at the westin, yes that's a built-in projector so we won't have to bring our own, this will be the practice room if we end up here
shot from one of the sleeping rooms

http://www.westindenverboulder.com/assets/u/FactSheetRev3.pdf I believe the main room is the Longs Peak room, with the Terrace being the balcony, for some reason I don't see the secondary room on this floor plan but it's just down the hall from the main room
Personal text
I like the dates! Maybe I can come, but that would mean I would actually go somewhere on my vaccation (lol)
Edit history:
Cosalich: 2013-02-25 10:09:16 am
I've decided to come out from my years of lurking SDA to say I'm working on getting time off & securing plane ticket funds for SGDQ, as well as offer my assistance with any marketing/sponsorship plans that you might want to put in place this time around. Hopefully I can be helpful this time, instead of just sitting around the house and watching!
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Looks really nice, UA.

Also, a thought:
What about using the "secondary" room as the main marathon room? I know it's got the projector, but I'm thinking in terms of the stuff IN the room. The "main room" has a bathroom, a bar area, and more from what I can see. It might make more sense to use that as the practice/eating/whatever room?
Edit history:
UraniumAnchor: 2013-02-25 12:26:28 pm
Not a walrus
The secondary room doesn't have any network jacks in it, so I don't think that would work very well. Tongue

(It's apparently something that got converted recently.)
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2013-02-25 12:38:04 pm
Cool Matty: 2013-02-25 12:38:04 pm
Cool Matty: 2013-02-25 12:38:03 pm
Cool Matty: 2013-02-25 12:38:02 pm
Quote from UraniumAnchor:
The secondary room doesn't have any network jacks in it, so I don't think that would work very well. Tongue

(It's apparently something that got converted recently.)

Psh, internet is overrated. Tongue

BTW, it does have Wifi though, right? Would be kinda pointless to have the projector if we can't use it for the stream anyway Tongue
Not a walrus
Yes, there's Wifi throughout the hotel. Might want to bring our own access point, though.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Also, if we declare we are staying at the hotel by the 27th, then the internet is free (normally $150/night).

What month? If it was January I take it we've lost out on that opportunity?
Not a walrus
That deadline isn't an issue any more, so don't worry about it.

That said, Sheraton DTC is out because they won't have their fiber line fixed for almost a month and that's too long for us to wait.

The current choices are the Westin (pictured above) and the Sheraton Downtown. Mike is discussing pricing with them and he'll let you know more when he's made a decision.
If it makes any difference, I looked at Sheraton Downtown, and the location looks MUCH better as far as food is concerned. Within literally ~2 blocks of the hotel, there's:

1. Quiznos
2. McDonalds
3. Starbucks
4. Subway
5. Jimmy Johns
6. A local deli
7. Johnny Rockets
8. Noodles & Company
9. A local Teriyaki place
10. Hard Rock Cafe
11. Chik-Fil-A
12. And a whole food court that has mystery food (I can't see what it has)

That's on top of a bunch of other restaurants around. Also, there's a mall in that same distance, which is good in case any emergency supplies are needed.

Of course, on the other hand, Sheraton's guest room internet/wifi isn't free (unless Mike negotiates otherwise).

But in general, if they end up being very close in price, I'd go for the Sheraton just on location.
Not a walrus
While that's certainly true, both of them have a free guest shuttle that will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel and parking downtown actually costs money, so it's probably not as big of a deal as you might think.
Good point, but I would hope people wouldn't have to drive to go two blocks. Even I can manage that walk. Tongue
Not a walrus
I'm not talking about people driving to go get food, I'm talking about the 8 or so people I can think of just off the top of my head who are going to need to park a car at the hotel the entire week.