Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
hey guys, Here is my setup:

Console with RGB out via SCART -> SCART to BNC breakout for my BVM -> Huh? -> SC-512N1-L/DVI

The problem is how I use my output from my BVM. It has the RGBs coming in and has an output BNC connection for each (along with csync). Over on the shmups forums I was recommended to get this cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=566

I tried to hook them up every which way I can but I get nothing in AmarecTV. Is there something I am missing for this to work?

Thanks for any help!
Thread title:  
Stand: Devil's Call in your Heart
are you sure the BVM's output is working fine?

also, does the capture card support that kind of signal? have you tried switching inputs and resolutions? i have the startech version of the SC-512N1-L and the control panel has many options. it might be picky enough that this signal only gets recognized by one.
Edit history:
presjpolk: 2016-03-14 07:54:55 am
HELLO!
You can't plug RGBS directly into a DVI port.

Your best bet is to get a video processor of some kind, like a Framemeister or a DVDO iScan. That'll take RGBs and output something you can use.

Note that for a Framemeister you'd need a BNC -> RGB21 cable.  For the DVDO iScans you might need BNC->RCA adapters.
Well it has worked with that cable actually but only if I set the colorspace to YUY2. I am guessing for RGB I'd need some sort of Sync Strip.
thethrillness.blogspot.com
RGB isn't RGB, long winding explanation sorry. Use YUY2 for everything.
Quote from TheThrillness:
RGB isn't RGB, long winding explanation sorry. Use YUY2 for everything.

I guess my question though would be am I actually capturing RGB color, etc if I am using YUY2?

If you have the time I would love to hear the details.
No, still 4:2:2 even in RGB.

Basically what they did was inject DirectShow entries so the cards have an RGB mode. It essentially maps the YUY2 data to RGB but is done horribly. Here's a screenshot comparison I did ages ago:

YUY2 screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/VYf6yaq.jpg
RGB screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Rl9Iv78.jpg

Notice how bad the red is on RGB? All the RGB entries are overblown/bright representation of the actual decent YUY2 capture ability (I say decent... read on).

To be honest if you're using a good scaler like madVR the difference between YV12 and YUY2 is minimal. I've never actually compared true RGB to YUY2 as I don't have the IP 4K but the jump in data rate required is kinda stupid I would never capture that anyway.

I've actually just moved to Elgato for my stuff for a couple reasons. I can tell you Elgato has something cool coming out soon. Smiley

The Yuan drivers are just bad (to even have botched 240p capture in 160) and someone actually did a really great comparison of Yuan vs AVer/Blackmagic: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376473-Lossless-HDMI-capture-devices-comparison-screenshots

tl:dr of that, the HDMI Lossless checksums of Yuan don't match with the other cards. It's not correctly capturing the signal but only slightly. AVer/Blackmagic/Elgato don't have this.
Edit history:
bytesaber: 2017-03-10 02:50:11 pm
TheThrillness, do the formats chosen in Lagortih settings need to be considered?  I would love to better understand RGB, YUY2, etc... in terms of preserving the most I realistically can, if I comprehended what to be responsible for.  I have an esata RAID 0 that let's me write about 160MB/s.  I am not sure that I can produce more speed without going into SSD's.

Right now I am using a PEXHDCAP60L (it's StarTech's version of a SC-512N1-L/DVI) to capture 1024x768 from a Voodoo2 SLI setup. 

Attachments:
No, still 4:2:2 even in RGB.

Basically what they did was inject DirectShow entries so the cards have an RGB mode.

All the RGB entries are overblown/bright representation of the actual decent YUY2 capture ability

Are you describing that consumer capture cards are faking a RGB mode, and this is why YUY2 is arguably the best mode you can capture with?
Edit history:
TheThrillness: 2017-03-11 03:25:57 am
The Lagarith mode should be set to YUY2. You can get potential issues if it's set to RGB Default. In 2017 though Lagarith wouldn't even be installed on my system, far better alternatives out there. Just use x264vfw in Lossless mode with keep input colorspace if you really need lossless YUY2 video. Less CPU resources and ~30% data reduction.

and yes pretty much. Only Blackmagic will give you true RGB.
Edit history:
bytesaber: 2017-03-13 08:45:43 am
bytesaber: 2017-03-13 08:45:01 am
Thank you!  These are the kind of statements and information I'm trying to gather.  I do not need true RGB from a BlackMagic, but I do still want to know about that fact, just as you described.

In 2017 though Lagarith wouldn't even be installed on my system, far better alternatives out there

Oh?  I have not seen this suggestion yet.  Besides getting this kind of guidance from asking targeted questions in various places, is there another thread or guide that can keep me up to date?  There is another thread where you posted some capture guides, but they are offline as your domain is no longer hosted.