Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Paul 'The Reverend' Miller!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Quest for Glory V: Dragon Fire () (pc) [Any %] [Single Segment] [Large-skip glitches]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/questforglory5-20151114/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). This is not a contest where the majority wins - I will judge each verification on its content. Please keep your verification brief unless you have a good reason otherwise.
What's that gemma?
Spell hotkeying right at the start was slow.  I think about 5 seconds were lost in the first 10 seconds of gameplay, which is kind of weird.  The rest of the run is quite solid.

I believe he was trying to loot Minos's body to trigger the next scene but the body was blocked by a couple goons who died earlier.  Apart from positioning himself differently during the Minotaur "fight", I'm not sure what could be done to avoid that.

I do wonder whether just attacking the first phase of the Dragon would be faster than dealing with the pillar + sacrifice nonsense.  It might come down to needing to find more MP somewhere.

IIRC, the rate at which damage over time is applied in this game (most notably, by the Frost Bite spell) is affected by processor speed, whereas the duration of the spell is not.  Thus, Frost Bite positively wrecks enemies on modern computers compared to the ~100 MHz Windows 95 ones the game was designed for.  I don't think there's any real solution to regulating that, though, so I'm not going to throw a fit about it.  (ALL magic in the game is totally broken anyway; you can cast about 20 spells a second if you have the MP and your fingers and CPU are both fast enough.)

A note regarding timing:  SDA starts the timer when you gain "character control".  I don't remember whether you are allowed to swim around while Erasmus is talking to you right after character creation; can you confirm?  If you can't, then the timer would start when you are teleported to town, rather than when you appear in Erasmus's chamber.

Anyway, this run is solid.  I'd Accept it.
Edit history:
mrprmiller: 2015-11-18 01:01:46 pm
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
Quote:
A note regarding timing:  SDA starts the timer when you gain "character control".  I don't remember whether you are allowed to swim around while Erasmus is talking to you right after character creation; can you confirm?  If you can't, then the timer would start when you are teleported to town, rather than when you appear in Erasmus's chamber.

I can confirm that you are able to "swim" around Erasmus' room at the start, although, you can't interact with anything and are ejected in the same amount of time anyway.  So moving around in that room is pointless.  You can technically move around, but no matter where I move in the room, the time and exit will be the same.  You can't go anywhere, except via teleport.  But I am skipping dialog.  I did my estimate timing from when I clicked "start," because you could just let Erasmus talk and I did skip it all.

Quote:
I do wonder whether just attacking the first phase of the Dragon would be faster than dealing with the pillar + sacrifice nonsense.  It might come down to needing to find more MP somewhere.

You cannot damage the dragon until the pillar is upright.  After the pillar is upright, you can damage the dragon, but the dragon's defense is not weakened; the damage is MUCH slower.  Eventually, he flies up anyway, but maintains that stronger defense, so the second phase still takes a good amount of time.  I tried all the combinations.  This was the fastest.

Quote:
IIRC, the rate at which damage over time is applied in this game (most notably, by the Frost Bite spell) is affected by processor speed, whereas the duration of the spell is not.  Thus, Frost Bite positively wrecks enemies on modern computers compared to the ~100 MHz Windows 95 ones the game was designed for.  I don't think there's any real solution to regulating that, though, so I'm not going to throw a fit about it.  (ALL magic in the game is totally broken anyway; you can cast about 20 spells a second if you have the MP and your fingers and CPU are both fast enough.)

Agreed, magic is totally broken.  I can cast quite a few Frostbite spells in a row, and all spells can be cast while using the arrows to move.  Smaller spell costs are for all practical purposes, bottomless.  In all of my attempts, I only ran out of MP one time while trying to open the gate to get the potions.  I can't speak to the processor speed glitches, but that wouldn't surprise me.  Every QFG game seems to have issues with CPU speed.  Smiley  But you're right; I'm not sure there is a solution if that is the case.  This is a fresh install from the GOG.com release.
I cant type on this keyboard so Ill keep this brief.

accept Tongue
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
A/V: Good
Cheating: None
Gameplay: Wins, quickly.

Accept.
Decision posted.
Everyday is puppies and sunshine...
I appreciate all the verifiers and their work.  Smiley  It's nice to know that QFG will now has all five games represented on this site.  Now to work on a proper Any%.
QFG REPRESENT!