Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 ... 11, 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Just fantastic, SMK.  A minor miracle. Congratulations on finally breaking that door!

And yeah, it's a good solid trick, makes me wonder if it can be used anywhere else.
Edit history:
FlamingMage: 2012-01-29 10:49:18 pm
This thread is so sexcellent.
SMK you honestly are absolutely mind blowing at finding glitches in this game. Great job! Now the only requirement of the run is level 20 for telekenisis and the cobweb duster right?
Quote from bloodisblu:
SMK you honestly are absolutely mind blowing at finding glitches in this game. Great job!
Thanks!

Quote from bloodisblu:
Now the only requirement of the run is level 20 for telekenisis and the cobweb duster right?

That is correct.  Right now the hardest part is figuring out what figments/ranks that can be dropped from the route.

Here's what I have so far:

- The psi cards: either one still does all 3 ranks, or don't do them at all, due to the nature of how you convert them to ranks.  That being said, I'm pretty sure the last trip to the store for the cobweb duster can't be avoided, so it doesn't really cut out _that_ much time if you still take at least 3 ranks on it.
- The scavenger hunt: The key to this is the extra trip that one has to take through the campfire area, the problem is that also encompasses at least 1 psi-challenge marker (3 if you count the GPC ones as well), and at least 6 psi cards (which is 2/3 of another rank).
- The psi challenge markers: They're all just a little out of the way.  If one were to cut any of them, I'd say cut the campfire one, since its the most out of the way.  The other big question is whether the one above edgar is worth getting, since its technically out of the way (since now one can do the asylum minds in the order Gloria -> Fred -> Edgar), but even then, it probably doesn't waste too much time to go grab it and do the minds Edgar -> Fred -> Gloria like I was doing before.

- Figments: ugh, figments.  This is the hardest thing to time/compare.  I think that if one were to take ALL the figments within reason in all the minds up to and including Boyd,  I could cut out a total 8 ranks from other sources.  The question is how much time does that save.

In other words, lots of timing comparison. (i.e. what you were doing in your last post bloodisblu).

From what I can see:

Kids Cabin: 9-card, 1 rank vs 2 card 1 rank vs 0 or 1 card (all of these still include whatever arrowheads I collect, since that's a thing)

Main lodge: 4-card, 1 rank vs 1 card 1 rank vs no rank

Sasha's Lab: fossil, 2 card vs 2 card vs nothing

Sasha's Mind: 4 points where I can grab extra figments, almost 1 rank each

Lake after mila: 1 rank, 3 card, comic vs 1 rank 1 card vs nothing (highly unlikely since I need to return to shore anyways)

Main lodge area: 2 scavenger item, 3 card vs nothing

Campfire: 6 card, 1 rank, 3 scavenger hunt item vs nothing

GPC: 2 rank, 2 card vs 1 rank 1 card vs nothing

Asylum: 1 rank (doing Edgar -> Fred -> Glora) vs Gloria -> Fred -> Edgar

Anything I'm missing?
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2012-01-30 07:01:25 pm
bloodisblue: 2012-01-30 07:00:23 pm
For the Edgar +1 Rank I would definitely say that doing the stages Edgar -> Fred -> Gloria still makes the most sense because all three require telekinesis or the cobweb duster (I forget if you need it in Fred's mind but telekinesis saves a lot of time collecting snails) so ignoring that rank up would probably cost less time than getting a +1 rank from a different place. If you are already level 20 by reaching Gloria we could probably cut out another rank and still make it perfectly to head back to the lab right before Edgar.

Also now that you found this skip I'll probably start doing basic timings again. For the minds I'll do two runs each per mini zone. One where I rush to the end getting only the figments on the fastest path. Another one which I'll be getting all the figments around the right path in order to compare times. I do expect that we could cut out all cards and scavenger items though by relying solely on rank ups and figments by collecting most of them in Agent Nein's Mind and in Raz's Mind.

*Just remembered doing the race on foot probably isn't a good idea anymore, you lose out on about 30-40 figments and gain maybe 6 seconds. :/
Quote from bloodisblue:
For the Edgar +1 Rank I would definitely say that doing the stages Edgar -> Fred -> Gloria still makes the most sense because all three require telekinesis or the cobweb duster (I forget if you need it in Fred's mind but telekinesis saves a lot of time collecting snails) so ignoring that rank up would probably cost less time than getting a +1 rank from a different place. If you are already level 20 by reaching Gloria we could probably cut out another rank and still make it perfectly to head back to the lab right before Edgar.

That's a pretty good point (fyi, of course you need TK in Fred's mind, you need it to move the pieces! :P)

Quote from bloodisblue:
Also now that you found this skip I'll probably start doing basic timings again. For the minds I'll do two runs each per mini zone. One where I rush to the end getting only the figments on the fastest path. Another one which I'll be getting all the figments around the right path in order to compare times. I do expect that we could cut out all cards and scavenger items though by relying solely on rank ups and figments by collecting most of them in Agent Nein's Mind and in Raz's Mind.
Cool, that'll help a lot.

Quote from bloodisblue:
*Just remembered doing the race on foot probably isn't a good idea anymore, you lose out on about 30-40 figments and gain maybe 6 seconds. :/
Possibly, though bunnyhopping is just so much fun!
Hey guys its been a while
congrats on FINALLY getting past that door SMK that was a pain in the butt to have to reach.

I have a question though now that this has been discovered i know the routes will now change but how much time do u expect to shave off now?
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2012-02-04 09:04:01 pm
The other day I was streaming a run (low fps which made the flying glitch hard to do) and found that if you simply follow the expected path for both Raz's mind and Agent Nein's mind along with the 2 GDC + 1 Beach + 1 Edgar + 1 Milkman + 1 Campground + 1 Shop rank ups you easily end up at rank 20 or above. It costs a small bit of time (not completely sure of how much) but would probably be less than collecting cards to get to rank 20. Unfortunately I ended up encountering the no plane glitch in Lungfishopolis and gave up the run. I attempted a couple of bunnyhops to Kochamara's island but none of them were successful.

To lookw I'd probably expect this glitch to easily shave off around 8 minutes (or slightly more) due to eliminating many of the longer ranks we had to obtain.

Also I found a neat glitch on Agent Nein's Mind. If you walk near the edge of the cube do a double jump then head sideways slightly so your above the empty air then do a dive bomb you gain enough speed to do a very fast bunny hop. While I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be very useful in a SS it could save a couple seconds in a segmented run and is very fun to play around with when not running. (I got really high up, very similarly to the brain on the loading screen)

And how could I forget about the pieces >.<
i've been trying to run this game a little, congrats on the invisibility skip! I'm having a lot of trouble getting the black velvetopia boss skip to work -- I did it successfully the first time I ever tried it, however every time since I've beaten the first wrestler, returned the cards to edgar and then used flying to get up there and haven't been able to find the loading zone despite flying all over the place. am I missing a trigger or something?
I'm pretty certain that you have to talk to Edgar first before trying to get the skip to work. If you just keep floating around the center of the ring (a little below it) you'll get the skip eventually. Glad to see another person trying to run this game though Cheesy good luck!
Thanks! It was just a much smaller loading area than I was expecting. Been doing a couple full single segment runs recently, my best time at the moment is 1:09:10 but I think that's pretty bad and it's definitely possible to go sub 1 hour with this invisibility skip stuff -- just gotta figure out where figment collection is most efficient...
Massive bump

Well  now that we have gotten all of these new tricks and skips is a new run being done? It seems like there aren't anyone who is running it but considering the new tricks found the time from butt3rs run can be decreased.
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2012-05-29 02:21:12 pm
I actually have two really small tricks to share in Oleander's Mind (boot camp).
The first is that you can skip the first figment cutscene by doing a double jump over the fence to the left when you get really close to the edge of the platform.
The other is that you can actually jump straight past the wall climb with the kid if you jump at the very edge of the ledge.

I haven't really been working on a run yet or worked on the rough timings like I said I would >.< but I definitely want to see a run completed (and will probably start working on it very slowly)

Videos of tricks:

Together they probably save about 5 or 6 seconds.
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
I've uploaded vids for both of those before mate :). The first one was in my run, and the second, if not in my started re-run, is at least in my video on some of the weird bunnyhop stuff you can manage at the start of Boot Camp Cheesy
I remembered seeing you do the second one with the bunny hop but I just wanted to show that it was possible to do without it (which might be more manageable for SS) and I guess its been a while since I watched your runs or I didn't really notice the jump >.<

Also you are able to slightly move during the fade in towards the dive palm game and can pretty much be on top of the switch by the time you can see it.
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2012-09-06 06:08:09 pm
I just started to practice doing SS runs of this game and got 1:55. I was on pace to get around 1:30 before the meat circus (and a really bad entering the boss fight for velvetopia) but found out a couple things about the extremely high bounce glitch that I think Butt3rs found a while back.

When you do a ground slam into the trampoline you manage to grab onto the swing before Raz's father uses it to swing across. This causes the game to freak out and give you way too much velocity. I forgot how to actually do the clip but if you hit space (without holding shift) you will be launched way out of bounds and forced to load from the most recent save (autosave is right before the first Meatman boss fight). If you don't touch anything the swing will eventually end up in its regular position and Raz will still be holding onto it. As I said earlier I forgot how to do the trick I ended up hovering which takes about as long as 2-3 failed attempts + the actual trick so hovering is definitely viable rather than doing the clip.

(Edit because I'm really bad at explaining things the first time)
well after some attempts i figured out something. well as seen in butt3rs attempt as soon as u get launched out of bounds just don't press any buttons and it auto-launches you to the end of the area. So try that in the level though the glitch was a bit difficult to consistently do it shaves off sooo much time. though i've never been launched so far out of bounds that i couldn't get to the end of the area.
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2012-09-08 04:19:15 pm
bloodisblue: 2012-09-08 11:51:50 am
bloodisblue: 2012-09-08 11:50:20 am
You're right, if you don't hit any buttons it will launch you to the end of the level so we figured out how that trick works.

Pretty much you dive bomb the trampoline in order to get enough height fast enough to reach the trapeze/swing before Raz's dad. The levitation floating is used only to make sure you don't over shoot the trapeze. Once you hit the trapeze Raz's dad will jump onto it hitting you incredibly far oob, stay on the trapeze and it will eventually hit the trigger for the very top of the level.

And I just did another run and got 1:25:41 Cheesy getting better every run. I messed up the route a bit, lost all my lives on the tower climb (which resets you by the milkman), still don't understand the kochamara fight and had trouble with hovering to the first boss of meat circus but overall much better. Sub 1:10 should be easily possible SS once I clean it up a bit more with the goal of beating Butt3rs run due to all the new tricks that have been discovered Cheesy

Just got 1:16:26, so I improved a bit. I tried out a slightly new route which saves about 30 seconds compared to the route I had been using.

Essentially the goal is to hit 19 by Black Velvetopia / Gloria's theater without getting the +1 from above the main lodge. Use bacon in the world, get ignite, warp to the main lodge and get the +1 rank up. Buy the Cobweb Duster (and 3 dream fluffs). Then head back to Ford's ... I mean my Lab and it will teleport you right where you have to go saving walking time and somehow skip the annoying cutscene where he asks if you are ready for the task (with the default answer of no). All in all it saves a lot of walking time making it worth it.
Hey time to necro-bump the thread.
so now people are doing SS runs? any major changes to the route or keep the same tricks?

is there a new goal for time in the game? i see around 1:15? possibly lower since people only need to get lvl 20?

what path is optimal to get levels?

Also in butt3rs run i think thats the optimal kochamera strat since he doesn't fly as often
I just restarted working on this game again and found this glitch for some reason when I turn V-Sync on it the flag will raise and when V-Sync is off the flag won't raise. In addition to this when V-Sync is off it appears that flying is a lot easier than when it is on (I gained height far faster than when V-sync was on). Has any body else had any problems with V-Sync because I don't remember ever having to pay attention to my graphics settings until today.
Yeah, that's me!
Yeah, I know this glitch quite well. Messed up some recordings when I did my segmented run, though it only seems to occur when recording. Without recording I never encountered the glitch, v sync on or off. So, how's that run coming along, bloodisblue?
So time to necro bump the thread

im guessing no one is working on a run?

if some one is working on a run how would they use the flag glitch? Or is that just a time wasting glitch?
I believe the flag glitch only wastes time and I mainly posted it in case somebody else has the same problem and didn't try toggling V-Sync on and off. And I gave up running Psychonauts a couple days after I made that last post, for some reason whenever I tried to stream or record me playing the tricks would be much harder and the game would crash far more often causing me to not want to play it anymore Sad
Hello there ! For the past four to five months I have been running psychonauts. There have been many changes that you all are probably aware of.. but first bloodisblue I have also gotten frequent crashes . The only solution that works for me is to run in compatability mode for Windows 95 and then going to task manager and put psychonauts on all four of my cores.  I keep vsync off for the flying glitch.. however poles behave weird with it off . Raz sometimes bounces off of them and the brain tumbler caravan door opens much slower with vsync off .

In any case I am not sure how far a long blood is.. but I am willing to show everything I know . My current PB in single segment is 54:19 . I love this game and am very grateful to everything those before me that have found all of these incredible skips .  I refuse to have this game die out .
Edit history:
Grimdonuts: 2014-02-24 05:34:04 pm
Bacon Choke Artist
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuLNaf5TcXiOUdTZHEqB3FnhZKo3ALQsG A short playlist showing off some things that were and weren't used in my recent submission. Including the major Kochamara breakthrough with his flying phase.