page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2011-02-21 06:54:37 am
I had about an hour yesterday and instead of trying to come up with a faster route I decided to try and get OOB in Gloria's stage. I believe that I am fairly close to this goal, but the closest I have gotten is getting my view outside of the tent fairly easily. About a week ago I also found a couple out of bounds glitches in the tower climb segment. Though I can't think of a use for these seeing how the "lookw" upwards boost seems like it won't work here.

-- Shows the glitches / almost glitch.

Also comments to Zex20913's comments. Brain tumbler collection is actually the fastest route that I've thought of so far because it eliminates run distance and not needing to reload to get the extra arrowheads. You can't get invisibility via bacon without rank 30 which is why he collected the cards. But thanks for you comments.
New discovery! Though it might no be as exciting as glitching through Gloria's door it gives me hope that it is possible to do because it is fairly easily possible to glitch the view straight through her door which "might" allow you to skip the door.
I Frapsed a couple of my attempts to get through the door but have not yet had time to make them into a video and upload it to youtube so instead I'll just describe the steps required to see through the door.

First - Run up to the door.
Second - Turn around on the red carpet so you face away from the door.
Third - Walk a slight bit away from the door (this is the hard part) and I think you have to keep you camera pointed to the right.
Fourth - Hit and hold shift.

You now should be able to see through Gloria's door and be able to move around freely while holding shift. Hopefully this can extend into a complete door skip in the future Smiley
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
Haven't managed to perform the glitch yet.. I think a video would be really helpful, I'm not too sure of the instructions.

Not sure how viable this is to proceed to a door skip, but that would be incredible Cheesy
I found my Windows Movie maker and but the clips together, but I edited out the parts where I try to jump through the wall for minutes.

I added annotations to help guide what I was doing and what was happening. Please note though that I haven't been able to get through the wall and I'm not sure its possible. But I found this with like 45 minutes of screwing around and accidently putting my view through once and trying to find out what I did Cheesy
I've never felt so much happier after muting a video Tongue

Very cool glitch, but I have to caution against associating camera manipulation with character manipulation. Many games handle them totally separately so although you may be able to convince the camera to move through the door, getting Raj through may well be impossible. It does seem like a game fit for OOB glitching though, from the little I've played.
Thats true character manipulation is different from camera manipulation. But I was reading on the TAS forums and they said certain things could be done by manipulating the camera. And if it is possible to get Gloria into the view and highlight her then we may effectively be able to start the conversation from outside the door. Though I'm not sure if its possible or not.
Edit history:
butt3rs: 2011-05-31 02:56:16 pm
butt3rs: 2011-05-31 10:33:45 am
butt3rs: 2011-05-31 10:33:19 am
butt3rs: 2011-05-31 10:32:10 am
Yeah, that's me!
Guess I have to revive this thread Wink

After a long break from psychonauts I played through it again several times and decided to make a little "library" with tricks / glitches / bugs / etc. Some of them are new, some just improved or altered a little bit. I think this collection of tricks can be useful for everyone who's currently working on the game or might work on it in the future.

I'm currently uploading the first few videos to youtube. New ones will be added as soon as I have the time / discover new tricks.

You can check out the videos on my channel (Butt3rsOnSpeed). I also created a playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL0D55ADE359A7D82B

Available tricks:

Improved Water Skip
Ladder Trick (Children's Cabins Area)
First Figment Skip
Oleanders Mind - Improved skip (Rail)
Phantom Skip - This trick let's you jump over the phantom without having to use the candle.
Float Climbing - Just discovered this new trick in Edgar's mind, hopefully enabling me / future runners to skip all four bosses and directly face El Odio.

Greetz, Butt3rs
very nice butt3rs all of these tricks are very useful in any run of the game. Especially athe ones that allow you to skip the phantom and maybe skip the bosses and go right to el odio.

are you going to redo your run with some of these tricks in mind?
Edit history:
butt3rs: 2011-06-01 05:38:15 pm
butt3rs: 2011-06-01 05:36:42 pm
Yeah, that's me!
My current run is being verified at the moment and hopefully will get accepted. Since I passed my last exam today, I have three months of spare time now, so chances are I might rerun the game. But I'm not sure if I want to go through all the pain once again ;). What I can defininately say is that I will continue to research some new routes / try to find some new glitches and tricks.

Just triggered the El Odio fight by Float Climbing (1 of 4 bosses defeated) - I try to record this trick within the next days (although pulling it off while fraps is running is even more difficult than without recording)

Greetz, Butt3rs
Those are some very impressive tricks you found there butt3rs. Especially the improved water skip, I wonder if doing that would actually be faster then walking on land? Because I could see it being useful in the Milkman level (only place where the ground is level that I can think of)

As of right now I'm with you, I don't think I'm going to be running this game for a while. Its quite tiring though I'll still try to find new tricks especially because it feels like we can break this game pretty well if we keep at it seeing how many things we've already found.
Yeah, that's me!
Yeah, those tricks come in quite handy indeed. I strongly believe that the game could now  be beaten in under 45 minutes, especially if I can discover a method to use float climbing to skip Boyd. I even see potential to skip Gloria's, Fred's and Edgar's mind as well, that would simply be mindblowing.

As for the water skip, I don't believe that it has that much potential. I'm going to do some research in Boyd's mind, but first I'm investing some time in trying to skip the stage completely.

I'm going to work on the game again this weekend and hopefully come up with some new stuff. If I am successful, I will imeadetly record some footage and post it on my youtube channel.

Greetz, Butt3rs
I'm not sure if you already know this, but in the most recent version of fraps there is the ability to hold record until the numbers become pink. This keeps the last 30 seconds of recording in short term storage so if you ever pull of a cool glitch you can just hit record and they will be added onto the clip. The only downside of this is that you have to play the game as if you were recording it. The upside however is that rare glitches don't have to be repeated and you can figure out what steps you have to take in order to repeat it.

Also seeing how you found so many neat tricks I'll probably play this game a bit too and see if I can help find anything, though I'm doubtful that you can skip Edgar's, Fred's, and Gloria's minds because you go into the elevator and it pulls up the loading screen, not you go into the elevator it rises into a loading zone. (I could be wrong about this one)
I spent a decent amount of time today trying to use th float climbing glitch and didn't find many potential uses. (Maybe I'm not doing it 100% correctly though because you forgot to say how to do it.)

How to Float Climb - Find certain walls (must be angled / an object, straight up and down doesn't work.) Then jump while on a levitation ball. At the peak of the jump hit shift to bring the baloon over your head. Hit space while its heading over your head to replace it below you and spam space to jump again. Please note that it is a lot more difficult then butt3rs makes it appear to be.

Gloria's stage -- The back wall doesn't allow float climbing which makes this glitch far less useful here (for skipping rank 30 at least assuming you could make it without calling the balloon down. I didn't really test after opening the door because I'm still hopeful it will be possible to avoid it.

Edgar's stage -- I'm kind of bad at continuously using this so I couldn't test / record getting to El Odio with only 1 boss killed (I'm assuming thats the fastest way to get to Edgar, I tried save warping and it didn't work)

Main Square -- Height limit so you can't climb forever. I don't think that there is a loading zone for the elevator above it or at least not one that we can reach. I'm trying to glitch inside the elevator, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything really.

+ I forgot to say this nice finds :DDD
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2011-06-07 07:19:52 pm
Played around with this a bit and found out a couple of cool tricks / glitches.

Complete Water skip, you never touch it.

The Dancing Ladies stage a quick skip using the float climbing glitch

The Race : I finished it though I wish there was an easy way to avoid the wall crashes which instantly stop you Sad it took 1:29 which is only 7 seconds faster then butt3rs run during his speedrun but I ran into a wall near the end which could be avoided if I had a couple more hours to play which wasted about 6 seconds and lost all my speed.

Enjoy!
Yeah, that's me!
Some pretty neat discoveries there... Especially the full water skip as it skips some cutscenes too... And is way easier to execute, I believe. I also found some new tricks, I'll record and upload them as soon as I'm back home.

Greetz, Butt3rs
Oh Tongue I forgot about the cutscenes, I already skipped them before that so I'll probably go back and retest it as if I didn't run and skip them. I really hope so, though this method still might be a bit faster just that you have to run back in order to perform it. Also I'm looking forward to the tricks you found Cheesy
Yeah, that's me!
So, I'm back home again... Just checked out the Milla's race on foot thing, there's a lot of potential in there, especially towards the end of the track, which can pretty much be skipped as you can jump super high and far there.

I'm thinking about single segmenting the game, I just have to find a method to record it without the game crashing all the time. Practice runs were around 1h 18mins, which is really good compared to my segmented run.

I'll try to record the new found material within the next days if I can find the time.

Greetz, Butt3rs
Wow. 1h 18 minutes for a SS that is extraordinary. I just tried to do a SS attempt and got 1:04 and was stuck at Gloria's because I was 6 ranks short (with only 2 ranks worth of cards). Granted I had several deaths and many mistakes. How do you plan your route with the Entire stage skip and still get to 30? I normally would have barely made it when I reached Gloria's stage but was way to short because I didn't have any figments from there.

Also have you had any progress in skipping Boyd or Gloria recently? Because right now I feel like they are the two requirements in order to progress (level 20, and level 30).

Also I wonder if we skip Boyd would we automatically get the telekentic grab when we faced the boss in Edgar's mind because it would be impossible without it.
Yeah, that's me!
No success in skipping Boyd or Gloria so far -.- . There's a glitch that enables me to get "inside" the asylum, float climbing is also possible there, but there doesn't seem to be a trigger point for the elevator.

Telekinesis: I think there's no way to get it automatically. Rank 20 has to be earned in order to get it.

Getting to level 30 isn't that much of a problem: I collect most of the figments in the brain tumbler experiment as I did in my segmented run. After that I focus on getting more figments in Sasha's mind, as they are worth a lot. I also do the scavenger hunt (7 items) and collect 9 psi cards, which gets me rank 30 exactly when I need it.

I'll try recording a pracitice run within the next month, granted I find a good method to record.

Greetz, Butt3rs
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2011-07-10 01:30:55 pm
Guys, my run has been restarted. After butt3rs' run showing the skip of Velvetopia, I wouldn't have been able to make it to Rank 30 without making the run look completely stupid backtracking in places, so I've had to restart (Thanks for that butt3rs :P).

Thankfully, I've improved a lot due to running as much as I did, so restarting the run wasn't as painful as I expected, and I've managed to get all of Oleander's mind done today. In total, it is an improvement of 50 seconds from my original run.

29 of them are just from the Alt-F4 to skip the tutorial that I didn't include originally, the other 21 are just from play improvements. I have one more segment than last time at this point, but I feel like it's all been improved so much, I'm really happy with it.

Video here!

I would have to say that this run is looking very nice so far. I am definitely looking forward to future segments / stages.

Just wondering but do you have all the way to rank 30 by Gloria planned out already? Because from my couple test runs without Edgar it is very difficult to get everything without collecting many psy cards.
My thought is overall 18 cards/cobwebs, as in my previous run, but at some point (I have 2 chances, either is fine), in which I can grab an extra marker than I originally planned. That easily makes up for it, and makes it totally reasonable for me getting to 30 by Gloria.

It should be fine Cheesy
Hey, so I'm looking to get into running this game for the January marathon.  I've been watching the various videos and stuff over the last little while, pretty cool stuff.  I haven't played in a while, though, so I need to do a once through just to get back into it right now, but maybe eventually I can help planning and junk.

Maybe just a weird question, is there any reason to use mouse & keyboard over a pad?  I'm currently awful with the former, but if the better camera control is a reason enough to switch, I might have to consider it.
I'd say the camera control is a big big plus. When trying to optimise your movement by flipping, if I didn't have the mouse's camera control, it wouldn't be nearly as fast.
I've tried both and the camera control is worth the mouse and keyboard setup. There are several things in specific which are so much easier with precise control --
1. Movement through flipping. As you can see fairly often you can move faster through flipping. The easiest way to turn is by changing the camera.
2. Bunnyhopping - Basically the bunny hopping in this game makes you lose all momentum you gained if you hit an uphill slope so you have to make sure you don't hit any of those.
3. Well in general you can steer yourself better and have more fluid double jumps (not that I can think of anywhere this really helps a ton)

Also if you guys can stream maybe we could all set up a day to race on speedrunslive Smiley I haven't played in a long time but I basically remember the game and it could be pretty fun.