Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Nice, sounds like it'll be pretty sweet.
Are you not going for the butcher attack manipulation with invisibility then?
Yeah, that's me!
I actually did go for the invisibility manipulation for the butcher. I also used what I like to call "Invisibility Hit" (push attack and invisibility at the same time) for the second butcher encounter. This tricks the game into believing that I'm invisible when actually I'm not.

Btw: THE RUN IS FINALLY FINISHED Wink

I'm currently uploading it to youtube, it should be up in a couple of hours ;).
I'm so excited to see your run butt3rs!!! I'm so glad somebody finally finished this game Smiley though I'll probably have to restart my segmented run because I'm already behind yours Tongue And by the way I can verify when you are planning on submitting it (or at least I believe I could, I know quite a bit about the game seeing how I'm planning my own run and SS run).
And just curious but what is your youtube channels name? Is it butt3rs33? because thats the only one I could find with a similar name Smiley
Yeah, that's me!
I'm really glad I managed to finish the run, too... Should I ever decide to rerun the game, I certainly will use another method to record, allowing the game to run at normal fps and without crashes Wink

So, here it is, my finished run in about 01:06:32

Btw, my channel's name is Butt3rsOnSpeed, as Butt3rs was already taken Smiley

It would be great if you could verify the run. After all this work it would be stupid not to submit it Wink

Greetz, Butt3rs
Okay. I'll be updating my post with my comments regarding the run as I watch it so I'll probably edit it a lot.

So far my only concerns are saving right after an autosave, but that really isn't that big of a deal, especially since your execution is so good.

The Dream :
As of right now I have mixed feelings that you included this, seeing that if you Alt+F4 after typing your name you completely skip it using the auto save feature. But I'm betting most people wouldn't realize this and might believe you didn't record it and it is part of the game.

Campgrounds :
Wow this collection segment is amazing. Your route is great and very fast. I'll probably copy some parts of it if I restart my segmented run. Though I didn't see the double jump ladder climb glitch Tongue but I don't belive that was discovered when you recorded this.

Oleanders mind :
Another save after an auto save right as you get in.
Great platforming, but you skip a lot of figments. I want to see how you make up for them later on.
The board punching could've been a bit better, especially since you saved right before hand. But I understand how frustrating it is and you only lost ~4-5 seconds.
The slide jump skip was executed amazingly. I had no idea that you could do a double jump and finish the swining portion before the flames appeared.
The rotating room skip blew my mind. I had no clue it existed Smiley though in a SS run you'd probably value to 60 figments more then the 30 seconds, but maybe thats just me.

Overall great job on this mind. Basically flawless exectution and without any major skips / tricks it will be near impossible to beat Smiley

Campground again :
I really liked the rail to floating bunny hop. That was genius.

Ok. I have to take a break and I'm at the 8:46 mark right now but this run seems absolutely amazing so far. I can't wait for it to be posted.
Yeah, that's me!
Thanks for your comments so far Smiley

I didn't use the Autosaves because I had lots and lots of attempts on every single segment (average like 250 tries+ i guess), and they got overwritten much too often. Copying the Profiles folder all the time didn't seem very practical to me, if I did that I believe the run still would be unfinished. I know it costs me some time (as I always use my own saves except one autsave like max 39 sec) and it really gets on my nerve now that I completed the run, but I think that the overall quality of the run profited from the avoided stress :).

I know that there is still room for improvement, I personally believe that sub 1 hour is possible. In this run, I rely on psi cards and upgrades to get to rank 30 half way through boyds mind, after rewatching the first segments over and over and doing some more research I found that collecting more figments would've probably been faster. Also, there's plenty of time I could've saved in Millas Mind, but as you said, many tricks weren't known yet when I started running.

But I guess that's the nature of speedrunning. There will always be room for improvement and runners will never be entirely satisfied with their finished run. Wink

So long and good night,
Butt3rs
SS - sucky speedrunner
Although I don`t post too often (I`m a little creep on this forum, hiding in the shadows) I would like to say that I was waiting sooooo long for this run to complete and would like to congratulate You on getting this run done (I`m waiting to see the meat circus.. this stage is just.. ARGH..)

Anyway I don`t think I`ll be of any help about giving comments (since Psychonauts was my first PS2 game and it was like 8 mln years ago) but all in all THANK YOU

YOU`RE GREAT Smiley (and so is the run I bet.. 1 h SERIOUSLY ? :D)

... running away to youtube... :D:D
Procrastination Nation!
@Carosh I lurk on the forums to so don't feel bad =]

@ Butt3rs I'm watching your video, and while I don't have time to watch all of it you spend twoish segmants at around 25 min mark collecting all the items you need for levels I guess.  I'm assuming you calculate it accurately but wouldn't it be faster to take a bit extra time on the levels and during the lungfish chasing scene to get everything you need?  That way you wouldn't need to spend as much time farming for items and such.  I of course could be completely wrong on this =].

So far I'm at the 30 min mark and it's looking fantastic!
Edit history:
DeliciousPi: 2011-02-03 09:35:49 pm
Awesome, thanks for sticking through to the finish!
Can't wait to pick it apart. :]

Edit: Watched the whole thing, really nice execution, if anything stands out in the run, it's the boss segments. Had no idea Kochamara could be taken out in a single round.
The Velvetopia last card skip is great too, it's nice that the game gives you confusion for the fight. Tongue

Is there a reason you farm the 800 for the duster before Linda's autoscroll? I don't recall plucking any cobwebs before that point. Seems like a lot of time could have been saved from digging up arrowheads around camp.
nice job butt3rs

i watched all of your run and am really impressed with the shortcuts you used in all of the levels

of course this run can be improved but as of right now it is really good

i really liked the shortcuts you used against kochamara, the jumping in the nightmare fight to speed up the fight and in black veletopia since you just skipped the green card altogether and saved alot of time.

of course some of the new glitches and paths can help improve the time on the run such as the water skip on the lake instead of the oarsman badge and the  fact that confusion grenades allow you to pick up the bunny from a distance in the meat circus and getting the cobweb duster arrowheads while Linda is chasing you. But these are minor complaints and wont take that much away from the final time. 

So awesome job and congrats on finishing the run

Yeah, that's me!
When planning my router, I tried to get the cobweb duster before entering Boyds mind so I  could collect the cobweb in the post office and immedeatly return to Ford Cruller to getpyrokinesis, telekinesis and invisibility.

I think I might rerun the game in the future, but for now I need a break.

Greetz, Butt3rs
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2011-02-04 02:08:46 am
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
Great run Butt3rs, I'm watching it all through now, just on Sasha's mind at the moment. While I don't particularly aagree with the amount of cards you're grabbing, there are some excellent shortcuts in here that I've missed. I haven't ran the game for a while, got very frustrated in Waterloo World, My thought now though is that I'm so frustrated because I'm in such a need of figments and they're barely worth anything in Waterloo and in Velvetopia.

With some of the shortcuts you've brought to the game, I kind of want to restart my run, adding in some of the shortcuts you found and far better figment management than before (Though I don't know what pain I'm trying to inflict on myself rerunning some of these segments. I must be such a masochist). I don't have much time for running nowadays, but I think I'm going to look into restarting mine. Hopefully I'll still have the segments practiced enough that it's not overly hard, and there'll be less annoyance and stress with the figments.

Still, great run, I'll probably end up posting some comments on it when I'm done watching and decide to rewatch it. Can't wait to see this in verification, Psychonauts really deserves a run up, and you've given it a great one.
Edit history:
butt3rs: 2011-02-06 09:37:06 am
Yeah, that's me!
Thanks for the nice comments Wink

@inexistence: You have to be a masochist to run this game. Believe me, I know that rerecording sucks, I started over a few times especially in the early stages of the run. It is one of the hardest thing one can do to delete 10 well played segments just because a new trick is found... And than theres's recording the last segments which is undescribably painful. At least it was for me: 2 attempts, crash, 1 attempt, crash... argh... Wink

Quick question: Could some of you guys verify the run? Which filehoster should the run be uploaded to?

Greetz, Butt3rs
I'm sure there will be enough of us to verify the run when it gets done. I've no idea about uploading to be honest. Must say, the Velvetopia skip really blew me away.

I've been looking into the best ways to find an optimal route for the run. My plan is this: I plot my route, not including figments and cards at all. This can go up to the point I decide I need a certain level, probably Boyd's mind.

Then, from this route, I record the off-route time it takes to acquire any figments, cards, or cores. Then put each of these in terms of seconds per level. Cores are just time taken, cards go in groups of 9, in ascending order. The first 9's total time is the value to compare to. Then any figment's value at all is divided by 100. The time taken divided by this value gives the seconds per level for that figment. Now all you have to do is record all figments and cards and cores, and their offroute times. Then just choose the lowest value each time until your required level is reached. # of cores + # of cards/9 + total figment values/100 is the level you're on. Oh, also, time needs to be added for the buying of each individual cores, only a second or two, but it could make a difference. So yeah, long method, but it'll give an optimal route...
My feelings on The Demon Rush
This run gets 5 Shocked out of 5 Shocked Seriously, I never knew this game could be completed under 2 hours, let alone under an hour and a half (real time), and I never knew the bouncy ball was so broken. Those were some great skips and shortcuts you pulled off. I have to say the Meat Circus slide skip was one of my favorites, especially since that slide killed me so much. Angry

Two questions:

I'm guessing the game just assumes you have the confusion grenades for the bull fight, since you skipped the part when you're supposed to collect the grenades.

How does that second meat circus skip (the one with the crazy camera angle) work? I was so confused when it happened.

Also, from all of these responses, I'm sure you have enough verifiers for this run. Tongue
Quote from mikwuyma:
This run gets 5 Shocked out of 5 Shocked Seriously, I never knew this game could be completed under 2 hours, let alone under an hour and a half (real time), and I never knew the bouncy ball was so broken. Those were some great skips and shortcuts you pulled off. I have to say the Meat Circus slide skip was one of my favorites, especially since that slide killed me so much. Angry

Two questions:

I'm guessing the game just assumes you have the confusion grenades for the bull fight, since you skipped the part when you're supposed to collect the grenades.

How does that second meat circus skip (the one with the crazy camera angle) work? I was so confused when it happened.

Also, from all of these responses, I'm sure you have enough verifiers for this run. Tongue

hey heres a video of just the meat circus glitch

essentially when you palm bomb the trampoline it glitches sends you to the roof of the tent (therefore out of bounds) i at a guess is because the game doesn't expect you to be up to that point yet and defaults you to the top of the level and he just walked around the edge of the tent and jumped into the area which ends the level. since the level  has to adjust when you reenter the level it throws you in the direction rally fast so he glitched to the end of that section.
Yeah, that's me!
@mikwuyma
First of all: Thanks for the nice comment. Smiley

Now for the questions:

Yeah, in that case the game just assumes you have beaten all four wrestlers and therefore gives you the confusion grenades. I think the trigger for this is already there when you enter Edgars mind and you normally can't reach it without defeating all wrestlers.

The Meat Circus glitch is pretty strange, yes. As lookw said the game thinks you're in a higher place than you actually are. I always trigger it with:

- Double Jump
- Turn Around
- Palm Bomb
- instantly press down the right analog stick Wink

So, stuck in the ceiling I move the camera back and forth in a pretty obscure way and so I get to the top. Sometimes the glitch doesn't work and you fly back through the whole level, landing on the trapeze that is above the trampoline.
Once again great job Butt3rs. I might restart my run eventually, but until then I will probably just help out with tricks / things. (or route plan into a run, who knows)
And I was wondering how to get to the top of the tower asap with the rank 2 upgrade and I created this route :

Though this wouldn't really be feasible in a real run do to the level 30 requirement of all runs and how easily these cards could be collected.
I love the SC audio in the background Cheesy Can't tell if the commentator is discussing sc1 or sc2.
Edit history:
Inexistence: 2011-02-13 04:12:51 pm
Inexistence: 2011-02-13 04:12:38 pm
Inexistence: 2011-02-13 09:26:44 am
bloodisblue, quite scary that you've gotten that video. Those use half of the shortcuts I've been considering to restart my run with. Oh, and what you can do with the trampoline, if you jump underneath it from the right spot, you get transported above it. And I think with that you'd get a high enough jump to grab the card and ladder straight off. I already figured out the let go of the ladder and pound thing, which is creepy how we both found it so close to each other. And also, it's very, very difficult, but you can actually get right on top of that platform for the 3rd card from a bunnyhop from the hut. I've only managed it a couple of times, it's very difficult, but it can be done.

Also, first segment of my restarted run. Not official, as I need to plan my route, but I had to show some of the shortcuts I've come up with.

EDIT: Also, been looking at Oleander's mind, and found this:
Now THAT was excellent work.
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2011-02-13 07:20:30 pm
Wow. That Oleander's mind bunnyhop is incredible Smiley I'm thinking we might have to look for more things like that throughout the game seeing the speed you did it. Also I belive you might want to change up your first segment a little. The execution was basically flawless but it appears you forgot about the required 5 arrowheads to get past the little girls and if you collect all 5 before hand you can do the little bunny hop butt3rs showed us in his run by grinding the rail into a jump. I'm actually really looking forward to trying this again (if I have time to run) or at least helping plan.

[EDIT] I'm wondering but would it be against the rules at all if I bundled up a bunch of save states (well save files) that I have from my previous run attempt and posted a link / them here so everybody could go practice the indiviual stage with the proper level of everything without having to restart the game? Or is that against steams rules / SDA rules? (though I'm pretty sure not SDA's rules Smiley )
Who is it that said you need 5? You only need 1. And hmm, I'll look into grabbing an arrowhead before Oleander. Can we not destroy things and grab an arrowhead in his mind, or is it all mental health?

I don't see why that would be a problem, and it would be helpful for people. To be honest, I could use a lot of help planning if anyone wanted to help. I'm trying to find the time taken off the fastest route for every reasonable figment/card/marker in the game. Reasonable being if it's going to be 10 seconds off route for 2 figment points, it's not worth it. I'm working it out to the frame, which is tedious work. I'm halfway through Oleander's mind at the moment. If anyone would be willing to help me, it would be incredible, but no worries if not.

I'm thinking that by doing this, we can finally figure out the optimal method for collecting cards/figments/markers, rather than guessing and hoping it works, as we kind of have been before Tongue
You're right is only one, and you probably could find it in Oleander's mind. And your plan on figuring out the optimal number of cards/markers/figments is about the same as my plan. I kind of planned on creating fast routes through every stage, figuring out how many figments I get per stage with the optimal route (and cards / spider webs) the looking where I could find the rest of the figments the fastest if they are required. Though currently I don't have the time to do this yet. Also I have all my save states from my run so it is possible for me to go and practice any stage just by changing the saves around a little Smiley (I might organize these and give them out if I get approval from mike or if there are any Valve/Steam rules against it then I won't)

Or we could spend many many hours looking for a way to break the game to the point where we can skip Gloria Smiley (I doubt its possible though, or at least by jumping through the door. I've spent a good hour just trying to jump in at different angles.
I've been playing for a while, and have a couple of techniques (though no recordings.)  These are my comments on Butt3rs' (awesome) run.  Please forgive me for jumping into the conversation with what may seem to be nitpicks at times.

Overall, this is incredible.  I've watched it at least 3 times.

Oleander's mind:  It is possible to get the railskip without going to the ladder platform.  Run through the metallic plant, and leap towards the low-hanging piece of wood.

Sasha:  It is possible to shoot the first valve without entering the bedroom zone.  Shoot from the corner below the valve.  I'm not sure if this saves time over what butt3rs did, but it does allow for the on-route collection of a couple more figments.

Looking for arrowheads in the brain tumbler looks sloppy.  If you go to GPC after Brain Tumbler II, there is a nice collection of 3-arrowheads by the path to the lake.  This is probably my biggest route difference (I do the scavenger hunt as well.)  I do Milla before getting the dowsing rod.  In short, I go Milla, comic book, to the lodge, inside the lodge, voodoo doll (allows fossil skip), dowsing rod, 80 arrowheads near picnic table, gold doubloon, 30 arrowheads there, the roof's core, eagle claw, reception area, which follows butt3rs' path.  Cards are entirely unneeded for rank 30, especially as many as he gets in his run.  This skips buying cores as well.

Milla:  It is possible to use the momentum after the pinball bumpers to avoid jumping on the ring.  Wait a bit longer, til the platform gets to near the top of its path, and you can make the levitation to the necessary ledge.

Milla's race:  The first lower path is faster than the first upper path, by about a second, if you jump over the launchramp.  I suspect the third lower path is faster as well, though I haven't tested that.

Great brain tank fight.

Great Lungfishopolis, super-awesome Kochamara.

Learning pyrokinesis can give you enough ammo for Boyd's nightmares, esp. for a segmented run.  That way, the house is avoided.

I think getting invisibility via bacon in Gloria is quicker than gathering all of those cards.

Gloria:  You can grab the first candle from below its ledge while floating.  Saves about 3 seconds.

As far as I can tell, everything after that is gravy.  Your last three levels have an incredible amount of skill.  The Edgar skip is a supremely nice find.  It sure made my jaw drop.  This is quite the extraordinary run, and I thank you immensely for sharing it with us.