Smiley
Sad
page  <- 123456789101112 -> <- 1 .. 6 .. 12 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Yhea. Inexistence's aproach to get to 30 makes his run considerbly faster (and of course his level of optimization and bug use Smiley ) Seeing that he doesn't ever go out of his way and still can get to 30 in time (or at least plans to) it seems much more speedrun like than collecting the segments.

I still kind of plan on finishing my run, the meat  circus drives me insane with a copule hard skips.
Yes, Inexistence is a word.
I wish I'd gone a little more out of my way during the more valuable minds. I'm really going to have to scrounge in the next few segments. I'll manage, but I'm not looking forward to it.
Strange days, incredible days
If it's any consolation, that makes for a more exciting run for those of us that know you need to get to level 30, seeing you at lower levels through Linda, Boyd, and the inmates, thinking "how is he possibly going to catch up?"
Any news on your run being uploaded butters? Looking forward to seeing it :). Sorry there's been no progress on this run in a while, I've had exams to do and my Half Life 2 stuff usually takes priority. I'll get around to continuing at some point
Yhea. I haven't really had much time to work on this run either. (Its also that the Meat Circus drives me insane  Roll Eyes ) But I did find a very fast route for the Meat Circus (though it is highly unoptimized)

I hope that Inexistence and butt3rs finish their run especially seeing how much more optimized Inexistence's run is then my as of now.
After nothing on this run for a while, I've finally gotten around to running it again. I've just completed the first segment of Waterloo World. As of the end of this first segment, I'm almost 13 minutes ahead of bloodisblue. I still await butt3rs uploading his run, perhaps there are some shortcuts I've missed from it.

Still not liking the look of how my figments are going. I'll get there, but it's annoying having to forsake time just to get a couple of figments that I have to trust will add up later on. It'll be such a relief once I'm past Gloria and don't need to get any more at all.
Hey guys. I'm nowhere near good or patient enough to be a runner, but I adore this game and I'm really excited about all the runs underway! I hope they'll come together soon. Smiley I'm rooting for ya.
Yeah, that's me!
He guys...

Sry that it takes so much time to finish the run. I'm having major problems recording at the moment. The game constantly crashes, nearly 90 % of my attempts end with the game crashing.

I'm using fraps, I tried camtasia and gamecam, nothing works. I'll try to solve the problem and get back to you as soon as I can. Only 5 segments are left, so when the problem is solved the run should be up soon.

Greetz, Butt3rs
Wow. Thats great to hear butt3rs Smiley I'm really looking forward to your run. + About where are you in regards to your run? Because at the start of the tower there are many memory leaks / problems that caused me countless frustrations in my run. + I hope you don't give up, because I've lost just about all motivation I had to finish with only about 5 segments / 4 segments left during the meat circus and it is quite frustrating + being beaten by such a great margin by inexistence doesn't really help Tongue
Edit history:
butt3rs: 2010-12-09 11:05:15 pm
Yeah, that's me!
The last segment I was able to record was Doctor Lobotos Lab (after at least 500 crashes of the game Wink ) . . . Now I'm working on the fight against the brain tank and the first part of meat circus. . . It would be no problem at all, but almost every time I manage to beat the tank the game crashes before the small cut scene. What annoys me the most is that the only times the game didn't crash was when the attempt wasn't that good. My best attempt (around 40 sec or sth) ended on the loading screen to meat circus  -.-
Another problem: frame rate drops during the fight. Even though I record on a quite good computer (Quad Core, Radeon HD5700...) the frame rate drops below 30 fps during the cut scenes of the brain tank fight.
It looks like I have to accept small mistakes as long as the recording is useable, but I really don't like the idea of  mistakes in a segmented run.
Typically I found that if you pause ~second / wait for the cut scene to fully load then you experience quite a number less crashes. (Though I haven't played the game in 3 months so I might have forgoten.
Yeah, that's me!
Yeah, I noticed that, but still most tries end with an error message -.- ... But I'll keep trying, too much work was involved in this project, giving up is not an option.
A few ideas on your crashing problem:

- upgrade your Radeon drivers, to the very latest; or try earlier versions of the drivers. Maybe one version works better.
- make sure your FRAPS is going to a different drive than the drive Psychonauts is on, to lower overall contention for the disks.
- maybe it's an overheating? Sometimes dust builds up and messes with the fans inside. Shoot some air through the case to clear out the dust bunnies.
- crashes in graphics drivers are often "sticky" - once one happens, the next one is far more likely. The bad graphics memory can stay resident after the program crashes. Try rebooting every time it happens. It might lower the rate a bit.
- upgrade Psychonauts to the latest (duh, and maybe not possible if you're using particular glitches)
Quote from usernameguy:
A few ideas on your crashing problem:

- upgrade your Radeon drivers, to the very latest; or try earlier versions of the drivers. Maybe one version works better.
- make sure your FRAPS is going to a different drive than the drive Psychonauts is on, to lower overall contention for the disks.
- maybe it's an overheating? Sometimes dust builds up and messes with the fans inside. Shoot some air through the case to clear out the dust bunnies.
- crashes in graphics drivers are often "sticky" - once one happens, the next one is far more likely. The bad graphics memory can stay resident after the program crashes. Try rebooting every time it happens. It might lower the rate a bit.
- upgrade Psychonauts to the latest (duh, and maybe not possible if you're using particular glitches)

The problem with Psychonauts is that there basically aren't any updates. And while the beggining portion of the game is perfectly fine (and apparently tested quite a lot because I experienced almost no crashes while running) the later portion of the game appears to have a lot of memory leaks / crashing problems. While nothing game breaking in a regular play through (the cutscenes are the most enjoyable part and normally its skipping them that breaks the game) while speed running these issues are quite major. Also the sticky crashes do exist and are present so thanks about that.
Yeah. Figures.

Oh well. Good luck!
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2011-01-28 02:22:15 pm
bloodisblue: 2011-01-27 06:57:46 pm
Ok. I have once again taken an intrest into this game. However I do not plan on finishing my segmented run at the moment. Primarily because of how Inexistence's run is by far faster, and I believe that there are many things left unexplored / discovered along with new routes which could work very well hence I decided to take a couple playthroughs taking notes on things that I believe could be interesting. Also due to the 6 month or so break I've lost most of my platforming ability in this game. I also got a new computer, so i could actually record it higher than 30 fps at 640X480 Smiley Though please note that I am not saying I will complete / record a run yet seeing how my last attempt ended with me avoiding the game for many months.

Current Playthrough
"The Dream" - For some reason the camera always seems off, which is very annoying because right goes left and I have to manually switch it. I will be making sure this doesn't happen during a "real" run through the game. Besides that nothing important can really be done here.

The Boarding Are
Well as of right now there are several things that can be done here (which may depend on how many cards must be collected, though the free rank is a requirement so we might as well get them.)
Because of where the start off is you can quickly run to the outhouse, grab that card. Go to the hill. Jump onto the cabins. Collect the three cards up there then the free rank up. (getting purple things as you go)
Jump down.
Instead of climbing the circular staircase climb the telephone pole. Grab the card up here then swing to the ladder. Use the increased ladder climb speed trick and I believe you get the the top faster, without as much need for precision Smiley (I haven't tested this yet)

Oleanders Mind
Grab figments that are on the way. This basically sums up my plan for this game. The primary route which they expect you to take has many figments on it which are easily recremended to collect (because if you can hit 30 without cards it will be such a large time saver). But occasionally time savers are greater then the figment time saver in my opinion.
Instead of jumping on top of the wall during the tightrope walk you can jump off the platform and slide on the netting for longer and make it to the rails.
Circling room. Collect the figments here. Even if you have to skip the shortcut the 60ish figments are worth the 7 extra seconds it takes.

Campground
Right now I am definetly going to try to figure out how many shards you have to collect and when, because I really don't think that grinding shards by reloading an area would be the efficient.

Tumble Chamber Test
Gather every figment, they are very close together and are very valuable.

Agent Nines Mind
Ugh. This was one of my least favorite parts of the segmented run but playing through it again it seems much much much better.
While around 1 minute can be saved by abusing the super jump glitch performed by double jumping around a corner you lose out on many potential figments. By simply playing through the levels as intended you gather about 60 figment points (each one counts as 8) per platformer area. This increase in figments will cost about 40 seconds but save many many minutes later on in the game.
The final boss can be attacked with melee attacks while you are stuck to his hammer. This probably makes melee slightly faster then ranging the boss, however I will still have to test this eventually.

Anyways this is all I have done so far but it is still a good start back into this game.

Important run things :
Do not head straight to the GPC / Wilderness area. It is much faster to run around the main lodge (collecting shards) enter the beach area. Then go into the GPC Area through the cave. This saves time (being closer) has more shards. And most importnatly allows you to use the quick port to the beach which saves a lot of time Smiley
Hey, kind of funny that you decided to come back and post on this game, but it's a nice surprise.
I've been getting a feel for the game to see if it's something I'd be interested in working on (probably single-segment).
Are you running the steam or other PC version? I ask because I've been getting some troublesome graphics glitches during the asylum levels where textures stop displaying, meaning I lose the menu and other useful features.

For the rotating room, the skip saves more than 7 seconds, probably closer to 20, though those figments are still really tasty at 20 per.
As far as arrowheads go, getting as many as possible during the Tumbler segments is fairly efficient, there are several objects you can attack which can drop a few arrowheads at a time. It'll help reduce the amount of time gathering the last you need in the camp grounds.
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2011-01-28 02:24:45 pm
I know your right about the skip saving around 9 seconds. However from my experiences with my segmented run and Inexistences run the biggest problem is by far the amount of ranks you have. And those 60 figments in later levels would cost roughly 20 seconds or varying card hunting.

As for what version I'm playing it is the steam version. Though I believe for non steam version people there is a patch somewhere that you can download which fixes several of the problems you might have. Also I read that if you are experiencing the glitches on Gloria's level. Go play the painters level and use smelling salts / finish the level and you should get out and the level won't have the glitches (I read this online somewhere)
And also good luck Smiley

EDIT : I just was playing through the Tumbler segment again and tried out your idea of collecting shards from and in a single segment run its probably a bad idea. Due to the amount of randomness in the shards. And the shards randomly hop around Making collecting each one take a couple seconds. So I would expect that using a better routes to move from level to level would be a btter idea then collecting them in the experiment Smiley
Ok. Sadly the edit seems to be messing up for me so I'll just post what I want to say in another comment for now.

Mila's Mind
I'll probably have to replay this one a couple times to get a feeling of when and when not to get figments. But as of right now I'd collect every figment in my path and go slightly out of my way to collect the figments in the bubble room. In the bouble room you can collect about 40 figments at a 5 second hit.
I absolutely love Inexistence's trick to skip the first bouncing part it saves so much time.
However on the climby wall it is not very useful and can only get you up to the first platform and climbing is useful due to the stars being worth 3 figments each. The rest of the mision can be done fairly quickly without worrying about figments because from this point on they are all worth 1 point.
The race is pretty fun Smiley just hit the highrises, and hit every required opening and you will win the race with seconds to spare.

The Beach :
immedately suicide.
Go gather the +1 rank up at the beach.
If not at 50 shards yet go through cave to GSD area.
Collect the expesive shards there (shouldn't be needed, but just in case)
Go and buy the dowsing finder. I might make a map of the figments on the required path. Almost all will be in the underwater area which is very nice Smiley

Underwater Area :
Just starting this part.
But I just learned that in the fight with the lungfish you can psyblast(I forget the actual name) the box of nails and can defeat him much faster.

Once again I will probably be making a map of this area to see where the rich shards are and where they are not Smiley
hey its good to know that people are still working on this run ive been keeping an eye on this thread 

i have a few hints for a couple sections in the meat circus that may help.....of course only butt3rs is there so this may help him and Inexistence when he gets there.

1st part-helping Oly
this part is annoying but there are a few good ways to speed up the segement. bloodisblu's video on the first part is the fastest route that i found out so far. so check out his video....unless there is a faster route that im not aware of.
one thing that you can do is when your helping oly catch the bunny you can just lock on and use a confusion grenade to stop ith. also when you do that just remain locked on and you can pick it up from far away so you don't have to run up and grab it. This causes a skip-able cut-scene of oly taking the bunny and the typical cutscene of him flying to the next platform. This way you don't have to care about the monsters and little oly.

2nd part-tunnel of love grind rail
This part can pretty much be skipped by going into the place where the rail starts and just activating invisibility and using the levitation ball jump off the upper left corner and psi-float down(though be careful about the knife throwers they will still throw at you unless your invisible so release and reactivate psi-float periodically so to dodge the knives once invisibility runs out.) to the end part of the rail and bunny hop into the tent.

3rd part boss fight w/ the butcher (1st time)
This part has a pattern that you need to survive. a strategy is to run towards him since in this fight he needs to do a certain attack to be able to deal damage to him. He has a pattern to his attacks.
pattern- he does a sweep attack and then he does the multiple chop attack then he does the sweeping attack again then he does swing that gets his cleaver stuck in the ground enabling you to hit him.
The pattern seems to works like when he uses an attack it flags it as used so he goes to the next one and when he kicks you it flags it as the next attack. I think If he hits you with the chop attack that should allow you to hit him he reverts to the beginning of the pattern. A way you can speed up the pattern is to use invisibility when hes just about to use the attack. At the right time it cancels the attack animation and flags it as used and when you deactivate invisibility he moves on to the next attack. This allows you to skip the attacks and speed up the animation of him pulling the cleaver out of the ground.
BUT this if done wrongly this could glitch up the level and cause an invisible object in the path which causes the boss to get stuck behind it and unless your right next to him will never attack (of course this means you have to get over the invisible object and take a hit)
This could speed up the fight by allowing you to skip some of his lengthier attacks and you have to make sure he is about to use the chop attack and not cause him to skip it.

4th part Don't drown- this part can now be skipped thanks to the glitch that I found
here is the video

5th part final boss fights
Flaming Butcher- just use invisibility to stall the boss and throw the flaming pins into his leg
Dad two headed boss-  try to deal the most damage when your big and evade him using invisibility and levitation. Also you can use invisibility to get close when the power reactivates which allows you to maximize the damage output. It may be possible to kill the final boss with only 2 transformations. Also you don't have to keep invisibility up you can constantly switch on and off and they have to keep switching in and out of the animation of looking for you which saves the effort of evading them but this could also cause all of the invisibility to drain so be careful about that.

sry about the wall of text and i hope this helps you guys to finish your runs
Ok. I've played up to the meat stage twice today (I can't stand the meat circus and will probably practice it a ton) and learned several cool speed tricks and greatly refined my plan.

Firstly getting figments - Shouldn't be too too hard. As long as I get all of the figments in my path and slightly out of my path I will be 27 Gloria's stage. Then with 27 cards found (I could find about 4 easy webs in Gloria's mind along with ~1 rank worth of figments.) I can get to 30. Though in my first playthrough where I got lost several times I was 29. My second playtrhough I barely managed by scrounging up extra cards / webs (I planned on only needing 2. But I was wrong).

Getting Arrowheads - My route prior to Linda's mind involves a lot of GPS farming. There is 2 arrowheads there together worth about 12 so I go there as often as possible and "waste" (though its faster this way) time collecting them compared to jumping into the stumps. After this the water world can easliy have ~1000 arrowheads found if you collect the 4 "jackpot" holes. I always miss one in my practice run though however I will make sure to collect them all.

Assorted speed tips :
Only five arrowheads are required to leave the Camp Area (I thought it was 10 Tongue )

Agent Nein :
I'm having a lot of trouble on this stage balanceing figment collection with speed. This is because the wrap around jump glitch allows such quick access to the levers however the figments here and in the tumblar experiment are the main sources of ranks. AKA I can easily be level 14 - 15 after finishing the first tank boss.

Dancing Agent :
The bubble figments are not worth what I believed they were they are worth 1 each with 1 figment worth 10 (It floats around sadly).
DO NOT DIVE BOMB / GROUND POUND during the race. I tried to see if I could gain speed and ended up basically losing do to it.

Linda's Mind :
Gather all figments on the way to the jail where you release the blimps.
First major speed glitch / tip that I found recently :
If you target one of the tiny tanks you should be able to keep a lock on only on it. Then use back flips to cover ground. This allows you to avoid the messy front flip control while very quickly moving around. Only problem is that you lose out on several figments by doing this which may be very important to the success of the run.

Milkman :
Suicide to regain ammo. It may seem cheap but saves well over a minute.

Waterloo :
Basically Inexistence's and my runs are about as fast as you can go route wise so just copy this.

Bull Stage :
I'm guessing that this stage is the deciding point on whether or not I can collect enough figments so it is vital to go out of the way slightly in order to collect several more. And if I'm way behind (And decide not to reset the run) I will probably pop into the sewers and collect several figments there to boost my level slightly.

Gloria's stage :
Another fairly big skip in my opinion - On the rafters there should be a part where you ride a curtain that looks like a slide. On the levitation ball do a ground pound and if you can time your jump correctly you jump over a very large portion of this stage. Though then again the rafters design leaves a great deal of skipping around so I'm certain there are many skips which haven't been found yet.

Tower Climb :
Do the early cutscene skip trick that I found (allows you to jump through the hole the elevator is supposed to be in) and basically climb the tower and hope not to get lost Smiley This part could easily be trimmed down greatly.

Boss Fight :
Eh. I'm still not sure how to finish this one quickly single segment. In my last run I basically took my time and finished it in about 4 minutes compared to my segmented runs 1.5 minutes. But that difference might be acceptable.

Meat Circus :
Follow the route I have in my video earlier on in the thread (p 6)
But add in confusion grenades to keep the bunny still and throw the monsters off using telekinesis Smiley (1 hits them btw)
Probably follow LookW's flooding part glitch. Thanks a ton for finding that, because I would probably lose all hope yet again if I had to master that part.
I probably will accept time lost at this stage of the game single segment. I absolutely hate it. Though I'll probably practice till I can get it every time Smiley

And my times for my single segement trial were
Up to finishing Gloria's stage : 1:37:XX
Up to finishing the Tank Boss : 1:47:XX
Both of these had many minutes of mistakes and I didn't even attempt much of the meat circus Tongue

Though I'm not sure if I'm actually going to record a run of this game. Its difficulty scales so fast. And speedrunning takes the fun out of the cutscenes and characters :(((
Do you have videos of waterloo onwards up somewhere?
I'd be interested in looking at how you do it and the levels after.

When I do waterloo, moving the carpenter near the drawbridge lets you climb up him to get a lot of height, basically skipping the intended paths to the musket and the bridge release mechanism.

I did read about the smelling salts fix, since you won't have invisibility for velvetopia, I'll probably do it before waterloo to prevent the texture glitch.
I have all the way up to the meat circus recorded. However if I'm going to post the videos I'd probably redo them, because I'd want to show off what my current single segment route looks like, however performed at a much higher level of optimization. Though if you want me to I will / could post what I currently have recorded but I'd expect there to be many changes which would greatly improve the ones I have recorded. Especially in Gloria's mind seeing how the upper area has so many shortcuts that haven't really been explored seeing that Butt3rs hasn't posted his route / progress through it (that I know of) and Inexistence's run hasn't gotten there. And typically I would take Edgar's mind slightly slower then perfect speed due to the fact that figments in his mind are worth a decent amount and are the last chance at reaching 30 by Gloria's mind.

And seeing how I have to practice the Meat Circus like a madman I proabably will finish my segmented run after some practice. Because if I have to perfect it anyway I might as well finish off my segmented run Smiley though I'm not sure if I would submit it as of right now, because I'm certain it could be performed much faster with a better route. (I think my single segment attempts are "close" to the same speed.

Also I spent 30 minutes trying to hop through the door to the actress's room in Gloria's mind but it appears to be near impossible Sad Which also reminds me that suiciding after the second under beast in the Milkman's world would be a good idea, because Gloria's boss requires lots of ammo to perform quickly and that is the last chance to obtain this ammo.

Also in regards to moving the carpenter I was not aware that you could skip the bridge release mechanism that way, I thought the jump was to long so instead I jumped on a monsters head and made it that way. And instead of moving the carpenter I tend to jump onto the ladder near the bridge get rid of the web then use a leviation jump and reaching the roof where the musket is held is very easy Smiley I actually didn't even know what the "correct" path was for a long time.
Yeah, that's me!
@lookw

Thanks for your advice. I already knew about those tactics, but I find it really nice of  you to support us runners in the final stages of our runs. I also discovered that glitch some time ago, it was supposed to be an suprising element to my run Wink

I'm currently recording the last 3 or 4 segments, I think the run will be finished in less than a month now (if recording goes to plan)

Greetz, Butt3rs
Edit history:
bloodisblue: 2011-02-02 06:19:34 pm
Ok. I was just practicing meat circus and it is actually a lot easier then I believed it would be. The climbing part I can do about 80% of the time on the first try because I changed the route from jumping from head to head to jumping to the first ones head, onto the finishing ledge then back onto the platform with Oly. Using invisibility also makes this quite a bit easier.
The rail part can be skipped entirely through one good levitating jump / bounce straight off the left hand corner.
The boss fight is fairly simple if you shield every attack besides the cleave ones.
The "Don't Drown" part is simplified greatly due to LookW's skip glitch (thank you so much, that glitch is a complete life saver)
The final flaming boss isn't too bad if you shield and use the mental throw correctly.
The final final boss just requires invisibility and shielding (or just shielding) while waiting to turn giant.

In all seriousness if I have a snowday tomorrow the chances of me finishing my segmented run are quite high because of the no stress practice I had today Smiley
[EDIT] Ok. This is a bit harder then I thought it would be so no run yet Sad  Though I found another shortcut in the climbing segment after the swing ladder thing (not sure what to call it, but the thing that requires swings) right after that instead of jumping onto the swordthrowers head it is much easier to back up to the near right side of the stage and just jump right up to the platform above you. This saves about 5-6 seconds and takes a skill jump and makes it much much easier. Smiley Though the second sword thrower head jump is still required to get to the next platform Sad