Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 43 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
DemonStrate, I still don't believe you don't want to give backup files to speedruners, not a big deal that its "illegal", we both own the game on Steam, it would be illegal if you share it to public (torrents, fileshare websites). Also the backups files does not contain any information about your account, so you can't get raped by Steam/Valve.
No, it's illegal if he shares it with anyone. :/
So what?
You might not care about getting your ass kicked from Steam, but DemonStrate (rightfully) seems to do. You should respect his decision.
No one said anything about getting VAC'd. Truth is nothing will happen to him if he shares outdated files, stop kidding yourself all of us here know that. But of course it's his decision so I agree with you there, however like a normal person I pass judgement on decisions that affect me.

Let me break it down to in an extreme example.

You meet a starving man, he wants something to eat. There is a buffet nearby and no one is monitoring the service. Do you a) Grab food from the buffet and give it to the man or do you b) Neglect the situation and continue on with your day. If you choose (a), the only people with knowledge of the event are you and the man you helped, if you choose (b), you will live the rest of your life as a bad person (even if you don't consider yourself as one).

The parameters of the situation are similar to that of the one being discussed here, yet in this case there is more than 1 starving person.

Demonstrate, are you a person that walks away or one that provides help?

I don't expect this to change anything but do me the favor and think about it.
Gets the cake.
You guys are being ridiculous. The files are provided in virtually every torrent for the game ever. If someone wanted the files for an outdated version, just download the skidrow version or other illegal version from your favorite torrent tracker site. Since you own the game, it's completely legal to do this, and you get the files you're looking for.
Edit history:
adzicents: 2012-04-13 02:02:02 am
King Laskdjf
No, we won't. We've tried every version we could find anywhere and none of them had BSG working. Demon somehow got super lucky.
Edit history:
Scepheo: 2012-04-13 03:09:55 am
Scepheo: 2012-04-13 03:09:29 am
Quote from Kingpin:
You meet a starving man, he wants something to eat. There is a buffet nearby and no one is monitoring the service. Do you a) Grab food from the buffet and give it to the man or do you b) Neglect the situation and continue on with your day. If you choose (a), the only people with knowledge of the event are you and the man you helped, if you choose (b), you will live the rest of your life as a bad person (even if you don't consider yourself as one).

The guy's a lazy bum who can't even be arsed to pick up the food himself? Let him rot. Depending on the torrents for this game, the metaphor might even hold.

Edit: bolded for clarity due to comment below the below comment. I never said you're lazy, I said that if you can actually find the required version as a torrent, you're lazy. If you can't, you're not.
I'll be the random lurker who posts something even more incoherent than the previous posts in hopes of seeing less bickering and more progress...
Quote from Scepheo:
Quote from Kingpin:

The guy's a lazy bum who can't even be arsed to pick up the food himself? Let him rot. Depending on the torrents for this game, the metaphor might even hold.

You think i would waste time posting if i hadn't already tried what's available?

Make reasonable assumptions next time.
Schepheo, go find outdated game with button save glitch working, go on, do it.
Quote from Scepheo:
Quote from Kingpin:

Edit: bolded for clarity due to comment below the below comment. I never said you're lazy, I said that if you can actually find the required version as a torrent, you're lazy. If you can't, you're not.

I'll just quote my edit. So you don't miss it. It's been said it's easy to find, it's been said it's hard to find. I haven't looked yet, so I don't know. My comment was aimed at the example being stupid, with the addition that if a BSG version is easy to find, certain people qould be lazy. But I never said it's easy to find.
Quote from Scepheo:
Quote from Scepheo:
Quote from Kingpin:

I'll just quote my edit. So you don't miss it. It's been said it's easy to find, it's been said it's hard to find. I haven't looked yet, so I don't know. My comment was aimed at the example being stupid, with the addition that if a BSG version is easy to find, certain people qould be lazy. But I never said it's easy to find.

Alright. #goodluckbro
Just going to say, this conversation is really, really stupid. Just run the damn game and let each person make their own decisions about moral issues.
Quote from FlamingMage:
Just going to say, this conversation is really, really stupid. Just run the damn game and let each person make their own decisions about moral issues.

Do you even know what this is about? Noone has the 'damn game'. So they can't 'just run' it.
Gets the cake.
On another topic, I did a random race of this game last night (late last night, I was exceptionally tired), and was amazed at how fun it is to run single-segment. I might start trying casually to get a decent run.
If we were you, we would quit now.
Here is a great yardstick for us:
Hi DemonStrate.
Edit history:
CBenni: 2012-04-15 06:52:54 am
Compared to Demonstrates routes, that is very slow. Wow. Especially the gel routes, Demonstrate saves haf a minute on each of them. Is sub-1 hour possible?
How about sub 50? 40? 30? 20? 10? Cheesy

cu, CBenni
I'd say yes, there are better and faster routes, plus his execution of the routes wasn't the best obviously, since he worked only 4 days on it.
Edit history:
ablk: 2012-04-17 03:26:44 am
How would one go about a single-segment run, does it need to be live frapsed and have the loadingscreens included or can it be submitted without the loadingscreens and frapsed off consequtive demos of the game beaten in 1 run?
If we were you, we would quit now.
You can't use demos for a single segment speedrun of Source games. The demo system isn't made to be preserved through level loads. I'd use something like Procaster to do a single-segment speedrun. I would record a demo (which would get parsed per map), but that would only be used to make a high quality version. You still need the live one with the level loads for verification.
Quote from DemonStrate:
You can't use demos for a single segment speedrun of Source games. The demo system isn't made to be preserved through level loads. I'd use something like Procaster to do a single-segment speedrun. I would record a demo (which would get parsed per map), but that would only be used to make a high quality version. You still need the live one with the level loads for verification.

Which time will in the end count, will the loading screens be included in the time? If so then someone with instant load would have a big advantage over someone that has a slower PC. For me load screens add about 30 minutes to the total time whereas someone with an SSD and a very high-end PC could then basically demolish my time just by having a better PC instead of actually being better.
Edit history:
Paraxade: 2012-04-17 06:45:23 am
The loads don't count, the point is you just need a continuous, uncut video from start to finish rather than a bunch of demos.

edit: just scrolled up, wow this topic got really stupid.
Then mind explaining whats so stupid about it?