Fight Lord Crump (jump, superguard, jump). Get 9 Star Points
Goombella joins party
Break Zess T.'s contact lens
Enter store and order contact lens
Buy 10 Fright Masks
Store 10 Fright Masks
Receive Mushroom
Buy 9 more Fright Masks
Store Mushroom and 1 or more Fright Masks (keep at least 3)
Buy 1 more Fright Mask to reduce coins to 0
Receive Ice Storm
Exit store
Get the Star Piece behind the crates on the right
Go right, bandit doesn't steal anything
Go to Frankly's house, refuse Action command tutorials
Go down the pipe
Save

New Segment 3  (Created by  Infinite1up)

Fight the Goomba family: Goombella uses Tattle on one of them (not sure which one yet), Mario uses Fright Mask, get 1 Star Point
Use moving platform to go down pipe
Fight the other 2 types of Goombas: no first strike, Tattle, jump or hammer to finish, get 3 to 4 Star Points each
Get Fire Flower from ? block
(Possibly get Mushroom from ? block)
Break a yellow block, go down pipe
Watch Punio enter crack
Avoid Spinias
Get Pretty Lucky badge in invisible block directly across from crack
Hit switch
Climb stairs
Drop to Black Key
Climb stairs again
Talk to Black Chest
Unlock Black Chest
Get cursed with Plane Mode
Fly to TTYD
Get Sweet Treat
Refuse Star Power tutorial
Get Power Smash
Refuse badge tutorial
Equip Power Smash
Re-enter sewers
Save

my other thread was closed so i opened this one. BTW this is a beta route i will organize it to make it faster later
you don't have to save at all I just did it to make the route easier to make
please do not spam this thread i am serious this would be a good run. I also want a mod to make some guidelines for this game! Thanks, sincerly SmashKing

Thread title:  
Edit history:
LadyKrile: 2008-08-03 03:22:45 pm
If this really is serious, I have some corrections to the route, which shouldn't even be started without a 100% definition, anyway.

First of all, you don't fight Grodus until Chapter 8. You fight Lord Crump at the beginning of the game. I think it's already been determined that the fastest Lord Crump fight is jump, superguard, jump.

Since you have to enter the shop, it's better to buy more Fright Masks for use in Glitzville.

The Star Piece on the roof should be saved for when you're about to get Ms. Mowz, unless you need it for a badge before then.

I'm not sure if it's faster to spend all of your coins so they don't get stolen, because you need to enter the bandit's house anyway for the Star Piece. If you do spend all of your coins, save the bandit's house Star Piece until after the Super Boots when you get the Spin Jump panel Star Piece nearby.

Again, save the Star Piece behind the fake wall for when you talk to Darkly before Chapter 4.

OK then, this is a modified version of your route. Not necessarily the fastest, but faster than yours.

100% definition: At least one of each badge, all Star Pieces traded, all Shine Sprites collected and used (including on Ms. Mowz), all Tattles, the Troubles that give you Pianta Parlor cards, Zess T.'s cookbook trouble, Strange Sack. Recipes and the other Troubles would be optional.

Segment 1

cutscene
save

Segment 2

Fight Lord Crump (jump, superguard, jump). Get 9 Star Points
Goombella joins party
Break Zess T.'s contact lens
Enter store and order contact lens
Buy 10 Fright Masks
Store 10 Fright Masks
Receive Mushroom
Buy 9 more Fright Masks
Store Mushroom and 1 or more Fright Masks (keep at least 3)
Buy 1 more Fright Mask to reduce coins to 0
Receive Ice Storm
Exit store
Get the Star Piece behind the crates on the right
Go right, bandit doesn't steal anything
Go to Frankly's house, refuse Action command tutorials
Go down the pipe
Save

New Segment 3

Fight the Goomba family: Goombella uses Tattle on one of them (not sure which one yet), Mario uses Fright Mask, get 1 Star Point
Use moving platform to go down pipe
Fight the other 2 types of Goombas: no first strike, Tattle, jump or hammer to finish, get 3 to 4 Star Points each
Get Fire Flower from ? block
(Possibly get Mushroom from ? block)
Break a yellow block, go down pipe
Watch Punio enter crack
Avoid Spinias
Get Pretty Lucky badge in invisible block directly across from crack
Hit switch
Climb stairs
Drop to Black Key
Climb stairs again
Talk to Black Chest
Unlock Black Chest
Get cursed with Plane Mode
Fly to TTYD
Get Sweet Treat
Refuse Star Power tutorial
Get Power Smash
Refuse badge tutorial
Equip Power Smash
Re-enter sewers
Save

Another thing: If you've read the Paper Mario 100% thread, you'll notice that there's no route yet, because there's the issue about if max level is required. A 100% definition should come before a route. This max level issue does not occur in PMTTYD, but there are other things, such as troubles, which could potentially be required.

By the way, I would expect at LEAST 15-20 hours for 100% by my definition. This is way over the site limit, which, as far as I know, can only be broken by a really well done run.

The Pit of 100 Trials segment would be especially hard, because you would need to Tattle on every enemy that only appears in the Pit, get Movers in the right positions so you can skip as many floors as you can without skipping any badges or losing a chance to get a Tattle, AND not make a mistake, since you would be doing a 1 1/2 to 2 hour segment while probably using Danger Mario. Note that the badges on floors 10, 20, 60, and 70 could be skipped by my definition, because there are 2 copies of each of them.

Edit: Segment 3 is way too short. There shouldn't be a 45-second-or-so segment that has no luck manipulation when the run would have a really long Pit of 100 Trials segment, anyway. I merged it with Segment 2.
Bring me the flaming voodoo canonball!
Mike posted in the Paper Mario 100% thread that max level is not a requirement.
hey hey hey!!
why would you say close paper mario 100% one too?  Angry  haha, anyway, i wish you a ton of luck.  especially on the pit of 100 trials segment.  make sure to watch radix's demonstration of the pit of 100 trials, it might help you with the basic strategy.
Quote from pyromaniac:
make sure to watch radix's demonstration of the pit of 100 trials, it might help you with the basic strategy.

It would help if you weren't allowed to do the pit with Danger Mario. Since it could be done at any point in the run, there would be no need to use Art Attack and appealing with Super Appeal badges. Instead, use Danger Mario (5HP max) with 12 Power Rush badges (enough to defeat a Dark Koopatrol in one jump with Ultra Boots), Multibounce, Spike Shield, Ice Power, Quake Hammer (for the occasional ceiling enemy), Power Bounce (for Bonetail), Close Call / Pretty Lucky / Last Stand (as many as you have to lower the chance of accidental death). Flower Finder may also be useful, although you should be leveling up so much that you might not need FP recovery. You should bring Boo's Sheets for in case you fail a Multibounce, and also to use during the Bonetail battle. Also bring Life Shrooms in case you get frozen by the stage effects or otherwise take unexpected damage. Your partner should always be Goombella so you can Tattle on the enemies, since Mario can defeat most enemy groups, if not all, in one attack. The random Movers will likely cause some restarts because they can prevent an enemy you need to Tattle from showing up, either by replacing the enemy or, if you use the Mover to skip floors, skipping the enemy.

By the way, does anyone have anything to say about my 100% definition? It's based on various 100% topics that I've seen earlier.
Quote from Infinite1up:
100% definition: At least one of each badge, all Star Pieces traded, all Shine Sprites collected and used (including on Ms. Mowz), all Tattles, the Troubles that give you Pianta Parlor cards, Zess T.'s cookbook trouble, Strange Sack. Recipes and the other Troubles would be optional.
I am not a NERD or a GEEK I am a N33K
I asked Mike and he should get a definition for us soon
everybody wanna tell you the meaning of music
I don't remember this game very well, but FYI the current suggestion looks like some overkill.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Quote:
100% definition: At least one of each badge, all Star Pieces traded, all Shine Sprites collected and used (including on Ms. Mowz), the Troubles that give you Pianta Parlor cards, Zess T.'s cookbook trouble, Strange Sack. Recipes and the other Troubles would be optional. does that sound right if it isn't can you post what you want the definition to be in my paper mario TTYD 100% thread

That was a PM from Smashking.

At least one of each badge? It sounds like badges can be bought and sold. Or is there some kind of in-game method of keeping track of badges?

Why would the Shine Sprites need to be used?

Why would  you only need certain Troubles and skip others? That doesn't make any sense.

What is the Strange Sack and why would you need it for 100%?
Edit history:
Paused: 2008-08-04 03:44:15 pm
Quote from mikwuyma:
Why would  you only need certain Troubles and skip others? That doesn't make any sense.

Agreed.  The troubles are quests, in a list.  Based of the precedent example of 'Chrono Trigger,' I would say all Troubles would have to be done.  (Though I admit the 'lists in those games are quite different.) 

Quote from mikwuyma:

Shine Sprites are Items that improve your 'other' party members (ie; not Mario) abilities.  Mario Levels up by exp, in the standard RPG way.  The other Party members 'level up'  (ie slight improvements to stats, but more importantly unlocks there other 2 in battle abilities) by using Shine Sprites.  1 Sprite per level.  2 Sprites per person, and there are the Number of Sprites in game to level every one twice (ie; max level for everyone with none left over.)

IMO should be needed.

Quote from mikwuyma:

Doubles the amount of items that you can hold.

Quote from mikwuyma:
At least one of each badge? It sounds like badges can be bought and sold. Or is there some kind of in-game method of keeping track of badges?

Badges can be bought (and sold), found in chests etc, won of enemies and so and and so on.  They are basically the Paper Mario version of weapons, Armour and accessories in other RPGs.  The most important parts of the battle system.  And you can keep track by simply looking under 'badges' in the item screen.

IMO; Should be needed.  Badges are the bread and butter of the game.

Oh and for whoever said it... I also do not agree with needing Tattles.  They are basically the same as 'Scans' in Metroid Prime.  Waste time in battle to get a picture for your log, and some text suggesting a weak point.  If Samus does not need it for 100%, why should Mario?  (Well other than Mario does not have a built in % tracker in his HUD.) 
I think maybe all badges, all star pieces, all troubles. Honestly I'm not sure about anything other than star pieces, but whatever.

Levels and buffs are never needed for 100%. Neither are items like Strange Sack.
Quote from Paused:
Quote from mikwuyma:

Agreed.  The troubles are quests, in a list.  Based of the precedent example of 'Chrono Trigger,' I would say all Troubles would have to be done.  (Though I admit the 'lists in those games are quite different.) 

Quote from mikwuyma:

Shine Sprites are Items that improve your 'other' party members (ie; not Mario) abilities.  Mario Levels up by exp, in the standard RPG way.  The other Party members 'level up'  (ie slight improvements to stats, but more importantly unlocks there other 2 in battle abilities) by using Shine Sprites.  1 Sprite per level.  2 Sprites per person, and there are the Number of Sprites in game to level every one twice (ie; max level for everyone with none left over.)

IMO should be needed.

Quote from mikwuyma:

Doubles the amount of items that you can hold.

Quote from mikwuyma:

Badges can be bought (and sold), found in chests etc, won of enemies and so and and so on.  They are basically the Paper Mario version of weapons, Armour and accessories in other RPGs.  The most important parts of the battle system.  And you can keep track by simply looking under 'badges' in the item screen.

IMO; Should be needed.  Badges are the bread and butter of the game.
I agree on the badges, but the shine sprites why if we don't have too level mario all the way up why our partners. The reason we said some of the troubles is because most of them give you coins and the ones we were talking about doing give you important items. I know you did not say we did need the pit of trials and we shouldn't Just like in Twilight princess it really is only a overworld change but we do have to get the items that are in it and maybe even the tattles
Quote from Enhasa:
I think maybe all badges, all star pieces, all troubles. Honestly I'm not sure about anything other than star pieces, but whatever.

Levels and buffs are never needed for 100%. Neither are items like Strange Sack.

sounds good Enhasa thanks for helping out
Quote from SmashKing:
but the shine sprites why if we don't have too level mario all the way up why our partners.

Because of this quote from the Paper Mario 1 100% topic recently...

Quote from mikwuyma:
Also, 100% is generally...  and/or collecting everything that permanently upgrades you (leveling isn't collecting),
Edit history:
LadyKrile: 2008-08-04 08:39:51 pm
Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote:
100% definition: At least one of each badge, all Star Pieces traded, all Shine Sprites collected and used (including on Ms. Mowz), the Troubles that give you Pianta Parlor cards, Zess T.'s cookbook trouble, Strange Sack. Recipes and the other Troubles would be optional. does that sound right if it isn't can you post what you want the definition to be in my paper mario TTYD 100% thread

Quote from Infinite1up:
By the way, does anyone have anything to say about my 100% definition? It's based on various 100% topics that I've seen earlier.
Quote from Infinite1up:

Apparently SmashKing decided to act like my definition was his. Did anyone notice that I posted my definition twice before that in this topic?

Quote from mikwuyma:

In TTYD, badges can be bought and sold. There are some badges that you can buy as many times as you want. All badges that have been in your inventory are recorded. Also, there are some duplicate badges, some of which are well-hidden in invisible blocks. One of each should be enough, unless having more copies would be faster.

Shine Sprites power up partners. You need 3 of them to power up one partner once, and there are exactly enough to power up every partner twice. If they were not required, that would be like saying that Heart Pieces are not required in a Zelda game. (They have similar effects, except that 4 Heart Pieces take effect immediately, while Shine Sprites need to be taken to Merlon.)

Out of the Troubles, 4 of them give key items, one of them uses up a key item that you can collect at any time, and one of them gives an optional partner. All others give coins or usable items as a reward. They are recorded in the Trouble Center, but that's not on the inventory screen. (Remember, this is based on previous PMTTYD 100% topics.) It's OK with me if they're all required, but it would add another hour or two to an already 10-20 hour run.

The Strange Sack is a key item that doubles the item capacity, allowing you to hold 20 items instead of 10. It's on floor 50 of the Pit of 100 Trials. Since you pass right by it (on the way to the badges on floors 80, 90, and 100), it stays in the inventory, and there is no other way to get it, it should be required.

Quote from Paused:
Oh and for whoever said it... I also do not agree with needing Tattles.  They are basically the same as 'Scans' in Metroid Prime.  Waste time in battle to get a picture for your log, and some text suggesting a weak point.  If Samus does not need it for 100%, why should Mario?  (Well other than Mario does not have a built in % tracker in his HUD.) 

Unlike scans, which mostly don't have any effect, every Tattle has an effect: revealing the enemy's remaining HP. Also, no Tattles are missable: boss and 1-time enemy Tattles can be found in Frankly's trash can in Rogueport after completing the chapter containing that enemy/boss. I've heard that scans were not required for 100% in Metroid Prime games because the game has its own percent counter. PMTTYD does not have any percent counter, but it does have lists of collected badges, Tattles, and some other things in the pause menu. (The lists include recipes, but recipes are very repetitive, with the same 10 second cutscene for each one, and only give you a usable item.)
Quote from Enhasa:

Then why aren't all the Zelda 100% runs 3 heart runs with all optional inventory items? Shine Sprites have more of a function than Heart Pieces/Containers, because they (when you have 3 of them) teach the partner a new move and increase attack in addition to increasing health.

One more thing: SmashKing edited his first post to copy my route. You can tell: he normally doesn't capitalize the beginning of lines, and the post was edited after my post. My post was an attempt to make this a serious discussion, and it looks like SmashKing decided to take the credit.
hey hey hey!!
i know what your saying infinite!  DAMN YOU SMASHKING!!!!!!!
Quote from Infinite1up:
The Strange Sack is a key item that doubles the item capacity, allowing you to hold 20 items instead of 10. It's on floor 50 of the Pit of 100 Trials. Since you pass right by it (on the way to the badges on floors 80, 90, and 100), it stays in the inventory, and there is no other way to get it, it should be required.

If something is overlapping or irrelevant, it should be excluded, not included. If everyone is going to get the Strange Sack (hence irrelevant), there's no need to include it in the definition.

Quote from Infinite1up:
Then why aren't all the Zelda 100% runs 3 heart runs with all optional inventory items? Shine Sprites have more of a function than Heart Pieces/Containers, because they (when you have 3 of them) teach the partner a new move and increase attack in addition to increasing health.

Actually I don't agree with it in Zelda either, but at this point that's grandfathered, so nothing to do about that. I do want to say that a lot of people would agree with all hearts in Zelda, that wouldn't agree with say max HP in an RPG, so really it's not that black and white.

Ok, since troubles are only tracked at the Trouble Center, it looks like it's all badges and star pieces. Lord knows this run is going to be long enough already. Tongue
do you really want to do this? 20-30 hours in who knows how many segments, is it really worth doing & even interesting?

theres just...soo much junk to collect and so many tasks to complete that I doubt there would be any sense, imo any% completion is the only run suitable for this game.

sorry to be negative but I am just REALLY concerned with how 100% may be waaaaay too much to handle. goodluck if you really want to though.. but my god route optimization will be ridiculous, even if you plan for a month you will probably have an hour or two or unoptimization, it'd take 10 years with loads of people to get every variable and detail down perfectly here... no way will that happen  Tongue
Quote from Infinite1up:
Quote from mikwuyma:
Quote:

Quote from Infinite1up:
Quote from Infinite1up:

Apparently SmashKing decided to act like my definition was his. Did anyone notice that I posted my definition twice before that in this topic?

Quote from mikwuyma:

In TTYD, badges can be bought and sold. There are some badges that you can buy as many times as you want. All badges that have been in your inventory are recorded. Also, there are some duplicate badges, some of which are well-hidden in invisible blocks. One of each should be enough, unless having more copies would be faster.

Shine Sprites power up partners. You need 3 of them to power up one partner once, and there are exactly enough to power up every partner twice. If they were not required, that would be like saying that Heart Pieces are not required in a Zelda game. (They have similar effects, except that 4 Heart Pieces take effect immediately, while Shine Sprites need to be taken to Merlon.)

Out of the Troubles, 4 of them give key items, one of them uses up a key item that you can collect at any time, and one of them gives an optional partner. All others give coins or usable items as a reward. They are recorded in the Trouble Center, but that's not on the inventory screen. (Remember, this is based on previous PMTTYD 100% topics.) It's OK with me if they're all required, but it would add another hour or two to an already 10-20 hour run.

Quote from Paused:

Unlike scans, which mostly don't have any effect, every Tattle has an effect: revealing the enemy's remaining HP. Also, no Tattles are missable: boss and 1-time enemy Tattles can be found in Frankly's trash can in Rogueport after completing the chapter containing that enemy/boss. I've heard that scans were not required for 100% in Metroid Prime games because the game has its own percent counter. PMTTYD does not have any percent counter, but it does have lists of collected badges, Tattles, and some other things in the pause menu. (The lists include recipes, but recipes are very repetitive, with the same 10 second cutscene for each one, and only give you a usable item.)
Quote from Enhasa:

One more thing: SmashKing edited his first post to copy my route. You can tell: he normally doesn't capitalize the beginning of lines, and the post was edited after my post. My post was an attempt to make this a serious discussion, and it looks like SmashKing decided to take the credit.

I am sorry I didn't take credit After the route was done I was going to credit anyone who helped or corected me. I also wanted to add it to the first part of the post but there is not enough room. the reason you need all the hearts in TLoZ is because you have to collect them in paper mario you don't literaly get them
alright i gave you credit
evidently doubles are needed now
hey hey hey!!
thats for the first paper mario because the doubles are unique, unlike this game where you can buy the same badge over and over, don't pay attention to the first paper mario 100% requirement because they are different
okay never mind then I haven't played Paper Mario 64 forever i am getting it on virtual console
pyromaniac is completely correct.

To sum up: Paper Mario (NOT this game) is all badges, super blocks.
Paper Mario TTYD is all badges, star pieces.
okay i get it now
hey hey hey!!
yes!! so you're actually going through with it?  i can help you with the route if i finish mine before yours.