Smiley
Sad
1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Hello SDA, I've been here many times to read posts etc, but I just recently became a memeber to make this post about the game I'm interested in submitting a run for.
I figured I would make a post first to see if anyone has any input for me, or if this game is even popular enough to make it worth submitting the run. Did anyone play this game?! It was a big piece of my childhood and I'm also a big puzzle fanatic.  Since about 2 years ago I have been watching speedruns for all sorts of games, which got me interested in doing a speedrun for it.
Quick background on the game:
It's called Pandora's Box, it was released in 1999 for PC and was designed by the creator of Tetris.
The story mode for the game is what I speedrun, because the puzzle play is just all the different puzzles, no actual objective involved.
The storyline is that Pandora opened the box and 7 different evil beings escaped to wreak havoc on the world. It's up to the player to travel around the world to different cities, solving puzzles which start easy and get progressively harder,  in order to find clues about where the being is and eventually capture it. There are 10 different types of puzzles in the game, which are all quite unique from one another.
In a casual playthrough it took me well over 3 hours to beat the game, but over the past 2 weeks I have refined my route, only solving puzzles that are necessary and using a trick to quickly gather free puzzle tokens (which are used to solve a puzzle instantly) and I have knocked my time down to about 42 minutes.
If I keep working on my puzzle solve times and utilizing my route to its most efficiency I believe I can easily do sub 40 minutes.
The part of the game that takes the most amount of time sadly is traveling around the world map and the small cutscenes after completing each city. Most of the puzzles that I do in the run are completed in less than 1 minute, and one of them I can complete in 5 seconds (my PB on that puzzle) if i do it correctly.
The one thing that makes me somewhat worried that this game will not be viable as a speedrun is that there is ABSOLUTELY NO RNG whatsoever. all the puzzles start with their pieces in the same place, same manner, etc, all the hidden tokens in each city are in the same place, they don't change at all. 
So memorization of every detail is what really makes a person able to speedrun the game, which I have memorized very well at this point since I have done each required puzzle dozens of times.
But the fact that there are so many details for each puzzle makes it somewhat difficult to commit everything to memory. (requires good visual memory, spatial memory)

Sorry if this was a long post!
tl:dr  are there any other runners interested in Pandora's Box 1999 Pc game? Or would it be worth attempting to submit a run for the game?

I haven't done any recording as of yet, but I could do a rough draft and post it somewhere for people to watch if they are interested. Thanks for any feedback!
Thread title:  
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2016-02-07 10:47:56 am
LotBlind: 2016-02-07 10:45:57 am
LotBlind: 2016-02-07 10:45:03 am
This will get you started:
http://speeddemosarchive.com/lang/rules_en.html

It lists things such as what categories you can run your games in. In this case it sounds like you could do either Single Segment in story mode as you say or you could tackle individual puzzles to fill and "ILs" table. If there's lots of optional puzzles, you could even do a 100% run where you do all of those as well.

I haven't personally seen the game. Feel free to post a WIP upload to show what it looks like when you've got that set up and maybe someone will be able to give that feedback. Because there's so many games out there, the playerbase here isn't always familiar with every single one, or they just don't keep track of the threads.

Believe me, people memorize crazy long runs... see these for example:
Kula World
Lolo 2