Smiley
Sad
page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 .. 7 .. 10 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I've played the original Painkiller and Battle out of Hell. RJ19 did a good job but unfortunately they didn't go up on SDA, so yes please run them and submit Wink
Just call me the cynicism machine

Are these available anywhere else?  I want to see some of the strats used but the size and download speed are atrocious.
Zurreco: As a test, I've uploaded the first video to SSDQ here.
Is this better? If yes I'll upload them all there.
"Time to go to work..."
Haven't seen the original, so can't say if it's better, but I *did* notice that you seem to have encoded them in widescreen (1,78:1), not fullscreen (1,33:1).
It's stretched.
Goggen: I haven't touched the video, I didn't re-encode it Wink I only uploaded it to my own space so that the download speed may be better.
Just call me the cynicism machine
Quote from TheVoid:
Zurreco: As a test, I've uploaded the first video to SSDQ here.
Is this better? If yes I'll upload them all there.

Yeah, it's about 9 times faster.  Could you upload the rest there so I can enjoy these?
Alright, all videos uploaded here. 3 videos were differently named. And 2 videos weren't available anymore Undecided
Edit history:
Ewil: 2009-05-12 09:59:05 pm
I still have this run on my hdd, so when I get back home I'll add it to ssdq.

EDIT: Sorry it took so long, I completely forgot about it. It's all uploaded.
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-07-01 04:01:08 pm
I've always wanted to see some Painkiller runs on SDA, but unfortunately RJ19's runs didn't go up...
So I'm busy with it myself a bit and I've improved C1L2 so far with 6 seconds. It's absolutely not a final run yet but perhaps it'll spur some interest so that others will run some levels too Wink Here's the video.
TIOLET!
Goodness, TheVoid picking up yet another run Tongue
There is no victory without combat
Quote from Kibbo:

Yeah dude, you're getting too old for this shit. In psychological terms: The Murtaugh Effect!!!
I'd never say you would speedrun this game since the basics are pretty close to SS2, which means I'll probably join soon, because I'm sure you're gonna find a lot of nice shortcuts like always Smiley
Quote from Kibbo:

Hehehe

What's this "Murtaugh effect" Kahless_GOA? Wink

Quote from Ewil:
because I'm sure you're gonna find a lot of nice shortcuts like always Smiley

Wink
Well, there's a shortcut in Military Base that skips the first fighting parts, but it can't be done while you're recording... And another little shortcut later in the level which is very difficult to perform fast. I haven't checked yet if this one works when you're recording.

There's also a shortcut in Old Monastery which cuts off like a minute from the current best time, but it requires massive fall damage so that's not possible to do on Nightmare Undecided Although I haven't checked it with some Armor yet, maybe that could help a bit.

Besides these things I haven't really found much else so far, everything in this game is heavily blocked off everywhere. But this game also has weird framerate stuff (I could only do the shortcut in C1L2 while recording, otherwise you can't clip through it) so I should check the levels while recording actually. Who knows what weird clipage one can find... Wink
If recording with FRAPS has a major effect on game physics, consider recording with a DVD recorder.
TIOLET!
The funny thing is that there are shortcuts that only work with Fraps recording as well.
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-06-25 09:27:42 am
Ok sweet, I just checked Old Monastery and grabbed a 100 Armor which didn't require too much of a detour, and I was able to survive the fall. The 1 try testrun ended up at 1:24, which is 58 seconds faster than RJ19's run Smiley
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-07-05 12:12:14 pm
I think it's safe to say that C5L3 "Old Monastery" has been entirely destroyed Wink
I've made a testrun of the level with a time of 0:56. I was surprised myself that I only needed to kill the second guy near the end...

Here's the video.

Also, notice something strange in the stats screen at the end (I'm not talking about the "Card unlocking status")? It's a bit tricky to read the numbers since x264 has problems with the color red.

EDIT: Apparently I also killed the first guy just barely when I went past him (You can see the kill counter increase at that very moment).
You didn't kill 40 monsters! Lies!
Edit history:
TheVoid: 2009-07-02 02:09:37 am
Grin

It seems that when you trigger the exit, all enemies you've encountered/spawned are killed and added to your total amount. The same thing happened in RJ19's run, when he killed the last guy and triggered the exit he got 6 extra kills added. Pretty strange. I'm not sure if this also happens in other levels (It doesn't in C1L2 at least).

EDIT: Doesn't seem to happen in any other level.
Quote from TheVoid:

Also, notice something strange in the stats screen at the end (I'm not talking about the "Card unlocking status")? It's a bit tricky to read the numbers since x264 has problems with the color red.

I'm sure it's rather Fraps having problems with red color. Well, with any bright color Smiley

Anyway, nice run.
Just wanted to say that I tied the time of 0:55 for the boss level C3L4 "Ruins", but at least 1 more second should be possible to knock off.
Not sure if I mentioned it already but I also improved C5L1 "City On Water" with 15 seconds so far (My run is on Nightmare though). The fighting wasn't very good, especially in the end part, so it's not done yet. Also, RJ19 took a really long time to get the secret jump in the beginning done, you can do that much quicker Wink

But there's a bit problematic thing... RJ19 encountered a strange bug during the boss level C4L5 "Tower" where Alastor suddenly disappeared after the first fall and the level was completed (You can find a video of it here). Since I know about this, it actually needs to be included but so far I haven't been able to reproduce it Undecided
Quote from TheVoid:
But there's a bit problematic thing... RJ19 encountered a strange bug during the boss level C4L5 "Tower" where Alastor suddenly disappeared after the first fall and the level was completed (You can find a video of it here). Since I know about this, it actually needs to be included but so far I haven't been able to reproduce it Undecided

This is how I first completed that level. In fact I don't think I've ever completed it since, legitimately or using the glitch. I thought he'd gotten crushed by some falling debris or something. No idea how to reproduce it.
An idea I thought I'd throw out for swamp; I wonder if it's possible, once the swamp monster becomes solid for the first time, to jump out into the water until you're next to him and then button mash to spam the killer into his foot to kill him quickly. I gave this a go and didn't manage to pull it off, but wasn't convinced it was impossible, either; there don't seem to be any invisible walls in the level, but just before getting out to where the swamp monster is you suddenly lose all your speed and it becomes really hard to move. If that can be overcome, this method should be usable.
I tried the same kind of thing with the Guardian once Wink

I just checked Swampy but it doesn't seem useful. Especially not because he becomes invulnerable very quickly. You could maybe deliver a couple of hits (I had a try where I was at his foot quickly and then mashed the killer, but he only got hurt just a little bit. It was as if most hits didn't register), but I really don't see how you could kill him in that short amount of time. And you would also lose time trying to get back to the island.

Good thinking, but I'm afraid it won't help much for this boss.
Keep searching for stuff though Smiley
Ah, that's a pity.

I think all the other bosses where this might be useful have armour on their feet which prevents killer spam.

And I'm not really searching, just throwing out a mostly untested idea :P. There are loads of really obvious skips in Painkiller, thanks to the amazing power of bunny hopping and the bizarre abundance of walls that let you climb to unlimited height by jumping against them, like the invisible ones in Docks and Snowy Bridge, but I don't really want to watch through all of RJ19's videos to find out what's already known. If, however, you get some levels done and post links to the vids, I'd be very happy to scrutinise them for correctable mistakes and search the levels for new tricks - finding ways to improve on a route is always far easier than coming up with routes and tricks in a vacuum, and I'm lazy.

Edit: Oh, while I'm throwing out wild untested ideas that probably don't have a chance in hell of working, though, I'll point out that if two characters' hitboxes are overlapping in Painkiller and one is hit, both take damage (I think, anyway. I know I've witnessed two overlapping monsters dying to one stake before, and I've also killed myself with high health by staking a monster at point blank range). I don't know how the health and attack damage of monsters and bosses compares to yours, but maybe some bosses could be tricked into killing themselves by attacking you while you're touching them. It's a pity none of them have insta-kill attacks (as far as I recall).

Edit 2: Also, what happens if you finish off a boss with an explosive attack that also kills you? We know that the demon morph at the end of boss fights is skippable for Alastor using the glitch that makes him vanish, at least, and in cyody's video Alastor seems to die at the exact moment that the player would have died otherwise. At the very least, testing how the script that tries to demon morph you behaves if you die at the same instant as a boss seems like a worthwhile thing to do.