Smiley
Sad
<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
So, trying another million times to get 7:13-7:15 on chase and NEVER getting anything under 7:20ish STILL....I went back through to watch your video again and time when certain things happen in your segment.

I noticed you regain control of artyom, which happens right around the time the level saves a check point, at 4:37ish in your video.  This was the same time I had noted that I get in my attempts.  Then i realized...your video has 6-7 seconds of dead space at the beginning....meaning you were getting control of artyom/hitting that checkpoint 6-7 SECONDS FASTER THAN ME CONSISTENTLY. 

So, because i'm insane and over-think everything, i made a small adjustment and tried the level again.  And got 7:09.  My first try.  I'm going to go back and make sure this wasn't a fluke.  Because if this happened for the reason i think that it happened...then my mind is going to explode and i will probably scream and throw my monitor out the window. 

We will know shortly...
I'm not sure what you mean by the 6-7 seconds of dead space... but if you actually got a 7:09...wtfff?

What small adjustment did you make? lol I'm intrigued now.
6-7 seconds of menus and loading before the level time started, that's what i mean.  Stay tuned, giant post inc.  almost done with it
Okay, this game is broken and dumb and something I thought either didn't matter, or was entirely negligible totally matters.

I will expand upon it here, even though i dont want to.  Because i might have to start my run over.  Again.  And that would make me sad.  And also because what I think I just found is just...annoying to deal with in general.  But in the interest of full disclosure and information....

(btw I'll say some things about lost tunnels and the bridge after i address this first point)

So, I could never ever get anywhere near your time of 7:13 on Chase.  So, I changed something and on my first try after that I got 7:09. 

You know what I changed?  The spoken language.

RIGHT?  WTF!?

I had been playing the game with Italian dialogue for the last month-ish for several reasons.  I like italian.  I dont speak it, but it sounds nice.  And after putting like...300+ hours into this game over the last 6 months, it was a nice change of pace from english.  Also, I was secretly hoping that, maybe, for some reason, it would make the run faster just a teeny tiny bit overall.  Like, kinda how the japanese version of Super Mario 64 is 'faster' than the north american version because the menus and dialogue boxes convey the same amount of information but take less time because it's written with japanese characters rather than english ones. 

I've played through the game at least 10 times with italian audio, and it never actually seemed to make any difference.  Like, any time that some NPC would say something 'quicker' with italian, they would just stand there afterwards for a second or whatever and then the scripted event would continue.  So, i figured it totally didn't matter.  Especially after we started comparing times for the first few levels and yours were either comparable to, or even faster, then the times i was getting.  And you are playing with english dialogue.  So yeah....figured it didn't matter.

But...yeah.  I'm starting to think maybe it does.  I changed one thing...i switched the audio back to english and my first try i got that awesome time.  Then i went back to italian, played it again, got 7:19ish. 

What stuck out to me the most was the timer when you regain control of artyom/the game saves a checkpoint, as i described previously.  Basically waht i'm thinking is that...the cut scene where hunter shoots the dark one takes LONGER with italian dialogue.  Both languages enter into the scene at pretty much the same time, but the italian audio doesn't return control of the game to you as quickly as the english audio does.  (note:  I'll have to time the cutscene one more time to be sure)

I'm thinking that those types of cutscenes might be faster in some languages than others, BUT in-game dialogue either isn't affected by different languages, or we just have noticed it yet.

What does this mean for my run so far?  If this is the case, I've done the first 3 segments in Italian, and now got this time with english. 

ad;goiahd;khgajdlhkgja;dja;kljgsdfdsa;lkgjadh

Or, i could be crazy.  and something else is causing this....but i really dont think so.

LOST TUNNELS AND BRIDGE:

I only use 1 grenade on lost tunnels, but it's because of a secret strat.  But, trust me, your time on lost tunnels will be faster than mine and what i'm doing there would be wayyyy too risky for your run.  But at the same time, it doesn't really affect any other part of the run.  It's something i'm still working on, will let you know if/when it works.

Bridge--that jump, I'm assuming you're talking about the one off the end of the bridge, over to the wall, across those cables?  If you have the stamina to do a running jump it should be easy to make like 95% of the time.  It's all about finding the sweet spot between how far you jump for distance and how much you aim yourself over towards the wall.
I honestly didn't even think about asking you about why you have it in a different language, I kind of assumed that you spoke it so I didn't think it mattered. I still don't understand how you got the 7:09 though, when do you start the timer yourself? Is it when you gain control of Artyom or do you include the map loading?

Have you tested any other languages other than Italian? Maybe they made it so some of them allow the cut scenes to go faster.

And for bridge yeah it is those cables, I think I found the sweet spot earlier but I found that I do end up falling off by being off by a little bit..
Edit history:
Duane Jones: 2014-02-18 07:57:52 pm
I have not tested other languages, and comparing the two videos is showing that language may indeed be a factor in time.  There's no way i'm uploading these anytime soon though.  I have no interest in encoding anything tonight.  I'm honestly kind of frustrated.  Not knowing how to proceed.  Sent you a PM regarding the videos
that's fine. I just did a run of German and I got a 7:20 and it seemed a lot slower for some reason too. I probably think that English is the ideal language.
I still want to know when you start the timer. Cause I am kind of jelous because you got like 7 seconds on me. Cry
Edit history:
Duane Jones: 2014-02-18 08:19:08 pm
Duane Jones: 2014-02-18 08:17:01 pm
According to what I'm seeing in the two videos, the audio totally affects the speed of the ingame scripts and the cut scenes.  How much it affects the speed and which areas it impacts it the most....who knows. 

I'm just going to keep going with the Italian, cause that's how I've started.  If i'm finding that a language may be faster in some level...I might just do that level in a different language.  I dont know how this sort of thing is dealt with 'officially,' but i have an opinion.  I see no problem (obviously, since it benefits me) to having the different segments done in various languages for a few reasons:

*Changing the language can only be done from the main menu, it cant be done while in any level.  Technically you could quit a level, change the language, and then continue from the last checkpoint inside that level, but since checkpoints in this game are wonky as shit, I dont see that ever being considered legitimate.  The most accurate way to time this game is from the start of a level to the end of the level. 

*aside from the 'speed,' changing the language doesn't affect game stats like ammo, health, etc. 

Anyway that's just my opinion.  Would be great to get an official say or something so i dont continue on with this run only to end up having it not be 'valid' or something. 

As far as the timing goes, I time EVERY level the same way.  When i start the level, i wait at the loading screen until it says in the bottom right  "press any key to continue..."  Then i hit F1, which starts fraps recording and counts as 'any key' and starts the level.  (I also hit a hot key to start my timer on second monitor so I have an idea of my time throughout the level.)  As soon as i see the loading screen for the NEXT level, I hit F1 again, stopping the FRAPS recording.  The length of the fraps video is my unofficial time.  This is the time i use, and have been using, when talking about level times.   

NOTE:  I need to learn how to spell.  And type.  So many edits...
I think you will have to post on a different thread about switching dialogue language for different segments.

And for your timing, It is ideal for you as that you are doing a segmented for you to time it that way, but when I do my single segment run I use splits, so I'll start the timer at the beginning of the game then for every level I split as soon as the level ends. Then the next level includes the loading which is about 2-3 seconds. I think that will be the cause of a big time difference between our finished runs.

I also have issues with always messing up what I am typing, I tend to stutter a lot when I type.. Like i'll be typing regularly and I'll stop on a word to think what to type next.. then I'll type the last word again and continue.. (I like to to play games):example) You don't understand how many assignments I ended up losing marks on because of this.
Yeah, timing ourselves is different since we are doing different runs, but I think when they are verified, the criteria for what actually gets 'timed' is the same on a level by level basis.  Your videos are going to be longer since you have to show/prove that you are playing the levels in order, without stopping, without resetting, without reloading, etc.  But I don't think those loading times count towards official time.  At least that's my understanding.  Either way, that aspect of it isn't up to us.  : D

I've changed my mind, I'm just going to continue the game in english.  Until I find out more about the language issue.  Luckily, Chase is the first level where the things you do (ammo/health packs/battery/etc) actually carry over to the next level.  So, if I need to re-do the first 3 segments in english, I can just go back and do those without having to re-do the entire run---(since each of the first segments is exactly the same as far as those previously mentioned stats, and do not have an effect on the starting stats of Chase)    (except for exhibition, which could have a different effect on how you start Chase, but only if you pick up any of the MGA in the level, which I didnt) 

I used to be more careful of spelling, grammar, etc (especially when typing).  Writing a Master's thesis will do that to you.  That was two years ago though.  I've gotten lazy...my professors would not be proud.
While grinding on bridge hoping for the fastest fast fast fast time...found a new jump. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o1xfmsln2skdck/bridge%20jump.mp4

It's surprisingly more difficult than it looks.  At least it was for me.  It's frustrating since it's right at the beginning of the level.  If I didn't make it then I had to exit to the main menu and load bridge again.  Actually...it's kinda nice that it's so easy to get back too...

Anyway...I'm moving on from Bridge now, finally.  Current best time is like... 1:20sh. 

Ahaha oh yeah that definitely saves some time, great find. I've been taking a small break from metro cause it's been getting to me.. single segment can do that to you.. I will get back into it within the week.
My run is done.  WOO HOO.  Actually it's been done for like a week.  I've been encoding off and on for a few days now. 

I found a new trick in the Tower level that skips the first two cutscenes and saved me over ONE MINUTE.  I'll post a video of it sometime in the future.

I haven't totalled up my times yet (i will edit this post when I have done so) but i'm guessing it will be 10-15 minutes faster than the current WR. 

Of the 38 segments in the game, only two of mine are NOT faster than the current WR.  DRY, at 0:31 seconds (for the WR) is the same time I could get.  I bet there is some way to possibly shave frames or milli seconds off, but that's a goal of mine for another time.  Also, my time for LOST TUNNELS is 2 seconds SLOWER than the current WR.  But there is a reason for this, as it affected the rest of the run and made it faster.  I will explain in the notes I'm writing to accompany the video.  Every other segment is faster than the WR.

I'm actually much less excited than I thought I would be.  These encodes are taking forever.  The next time I do this, I'm keeping my native monitor resolution and downscaling through fraps while recording.  For this game, I was playing on a non-max monitor resolution and had fraps set to capture at that full resolution, which was still WAY to fucking high.  It made running the game with fraps a pain, and left me with giant files to encode.  The raw files for the run are over 400gb combined.

I know I'm being a raincloud on my own parade...but...whatever...

I'm going to finish encoding these.  And I'm also going to start a new run that will be faster and look better.  So...if it just so happens that the verification and actual site update for my run haven't gone through by the time I finish and encode a new and better run...well I guess that's life.  I'll deal with that if/when it happens.

YEAH    Cheesy  Cheesy    Cheesy  Cheesy
Wake up and be awesome
Nice dude, keep up the good work
Nice job man, I've just been taking a long beak from the game, and to be honest I don't think I will record a run to be submitted to SDA. But, I think I will still do a SRL based thing. I set up my OBS so it's all ready for streaming, and I'll just do runs on there. I'm now going to start getting into running in the mornings so I'll be getting up early enough to complete a few runs.

But yeah good job with that time, I was never even close to that on any of my runs, My Sum of bests was only like a 35-36 without the beginning/credits. So idk, I doubt I will put down the game until I get a good time, but at least right now I do hold the single segment WR >:P It's just horrible compared to where it should be right now with all the new stuff. Anyway good luck with encodeing.. that is such a pain. I was annoyed encoding the 20 second clip that was for quality test.. and that look like an hour... ANYWAY I'll get into it soon. GL thumbsup
Thanks dudes!

I totaled up my times.  I was a little bit off in my estimation.  Judging from straight-up video file length  (not worrying about the beginning/ending madness)...

Bebe's current WR totals up to roughly 2:43:48  (Hours:minutes:seconds)
Mine totals up to roughly 2:34:35.  So, roughly 9 minutes faster.  Ish.  So like...2:31-2:32 without the credits and opening. 

I think I'm going to start doing some single segment attempts also.  In the end, it seems that single segment eventually becomes the final standard type of run for a first person shooter once a game has been ran a bunch.  Unfortunately, in our case, with such a teeny tiny number of people still actively running the game...not only are we missing out on community consensus on issues like changing languages between segments, what version of the game is being ran, etc....we are also missing out on breaking the game even further.

In a previous post by bebe, he said something like (totally just paraphrasing) that, after several attempts, he could never get better times on his segments.  I always suspected that it could be done faster, and i would spend hours trying to find new sequence-breaks, skips, out-of-bounds, etc.  I found like...maybe a few things that saved a few seconds here and there, but nothing major.  (Side note:  it's like the developers of this game made it specifically to frustrate speedrunners.  Seriously...so many invisible walls...so many...)  It wasn't until I saw your skips on Bridge and Dead City 1 that I felt that there HAD to be more optimization possible.    (side note:  in hindsight, the skip in dead city 1 seems obvious.  After i saw your video I was like..."i'm retarded for not noticing that."  I probably spent like...well over 100 hours on this game and never even though about it.)

TLDR:  What i'm trying to say is...I wish more people played this game so we could hopefully find some bigger and better skips.  Like...real out-of-bounds shit and more sequence breaking. 

Anyway, there are so many issues with this game (good and bad) that I could keep going for quite some time.  I'll try and refrain from going blah blah blah blah here in the forums.  I'll save the rest of the diatribe for the notes accompanying my run.

If you ever want to race the game, let me know.  That sounds like a great time.  I'm gonna start working on my single-segment chops.  I'm sure i'd get like 3+ hours if i tried it right now.  I'm way too used to being reckless. 
Edit history:
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:16:18 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:16:09 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:14:39 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:14:07 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:07:38 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:07:00 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:06:19 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:05:48 am
Duane Jones: 2014-03-24 12:05:30 am
Oh, and here's the video

Uh...apparently i'm retarded and don't know how to embed a video properly...

This was just a really sloppy attempt.  The final one is (a bit) better.
The only thing I know about that has to do with OoB is on I believe the level before Child, and depository, If hit in a certain way by an enemy, they can knock you up above the map through the wall. I'm pretty sure that it's probably not worth it, but if it can be made consistent, and there's a way you can hit a loading zone or cut scene trigger, it may be useful. But from what I saw from the vids I've seen is that it's completely random whether or not you make it, and it seems completely closed off.
This one is the one before child, It might be possible to find the loading zone through this but I doubt it. TBH I don't even know if it's even real.
(this isn't my video)
yeah wtf, those jumps are so risky in single segment, you miss it and it's run over, and that's 2 hrs into the run too. A lot of the stuff you do in segmented might not be possible to do in single. You need to have the most perfect run ever for that to be possible, but you'd have like a  75% to get run over every level o.O. But I guess that might make this game even more interesting if you can get that good at them and to be able to do it consistently in one sitting.
Finally finished my notes for the run and submitted.    Woo hoo!

Here's one of the harder segments that I just put up on Youtube.

Oh, and the run was done on Ranger Hardcore.  Grin
I think this game should be divided into 8 segments(chapters):
1. Prologue
2. Let the journey begin
3. Bourbon
4. Khan
5. War
6. Hope
7. D6
8. Tower.
And then if someone wants to find specific "thing" in game he will load adequate chapter(or subchapter) and just grind it till he finds something new.
Well, my run is currently in queue for public verification (hasn't made it there yet, should be in the next round.  No one volunteered to verify    Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry ).  In the mean time, I've worked on a level or two and found a few new tiny time savers. 

After too much grinding, I finally saved 1 (one) second off the shortest segment in the game.... Dry Station.

What was your time?
I'm still waiting on verification for an official run time.

The raw time for all the segments is roughly 2:34:20, but this includes the opening sequence, before you take control of Artyom, which isn't counted towards game time.  It also includes a good bit of time in the last segment, after you lose control of Artyom and enter the final cutscene.  So the official time should be somewhere closer to 2 hours 30 minutes.  Ish.