Smiley
Sad
<- 123456 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
A video would be nice but if you can describe it good enough I guess it could suffice Tongue I like doing risky stuff in the runs Tongue
Hit me back on that PM i sent you
Alright, well...now that you know my secret strats...I better actually start recording segments for my run.    And here's hoping that we both find more skips and tricks!  thumbsup
Hopefully the both of our runs will be on the website. A more updated segmented and an actual single segment thumbsup
Edit history:
sandstormify: 2014-02-17 10:18:05 am
I have a few questions about your route on a few of the levels, since it seems very inconstant for timing on a few of them.

On Hunter there have been some situations where the segment would be like 5:02-5:04 then on another run getting 4:50-4:55 being completely based on the killing of the nosalises. From what I can tell, it is based on either what order or how fast you kill them, you can skip a whole sequence of the nosalises spawning and go straight into the dialogue. ex. Starting dialogue at 4:45 other than 4:55.

On my PB of Chase I got a 7:13.18 because of something I really don't understand, once again I believe it has to do with the speed of which you kill them. With this time the nosalises that knocks you off the hand car spawned really early compared to when it would normally. It actually glitched me when he knocked me off and made it so when Artyom goes to hide he was way farther back than he should be, then when the running starts he gets quickly teleported back to where he was suppose to be. There are also other situations where I killed them really fast and they suddenly stopped running up to the hand car and it was this awkward ride until Boris woke up and the guy came down to knock me, with this split I got a 7:20 or so. This game is weird...

btw all these times include the loading screen before the level starts, so if you knock off about 2-3 seconds for the exact time for the actual level.

I'm not sure if Lost Catacombs is affected by killing the nosalises but it is very possible.

I'm sure you already know about killing the patrol on depot to save about 50 seconds. (I always have trouble shooting that bastard)

Obviously in D6 and Biomass it's best to use the MGA on the amoebas to progress faster.

On the crane level I found that After you pull up one of the cores it is faster to keep holding down the crane button then once you are over top of another one you do a quick up and down to get it to start.
I'm also pretty sure you don't need to go all the way in the corner for you to jump out, you can probably run jump or something.

On separation, it is faster to use the MGA to kill the nosalises since you cannot run ahead.

I am just trying to share as much as possible which can benefit the both of us in our runs.
happy

And also, finding out my sum of best splits it is a 2:41:15.24 with ladder climb and ending credits (about 4-5mins)
The actual timing of the run starts when you gain controll of artyom once you climb the ladder, and when you kill the final dark one at the end.
So if I do it right and get a perfected run i'll get like sub 2:37:00 or a even a sub 2:36:00 which is about 5 -6 mins faster than the current segmented WR
Hmm...

My current best time for Hunter is 5:02, I'll have to go back through that and do some more tests.  I know exactly what you're talking about though...it's sequences like that one in Hunter--lost catacombs, chase, defense, etc.  I can never tell if the time is based on a set number of mutants spawning, a set number of mutants getting killed, a set amount of time passing, or some sort of weird combination of all those things.

On Chase, are you shooting the nosalisis as soon as they start moving away from the 'pack' chasing the railcar?

The Patrol section yeah, you definitely gotta hit that guy.

On the crane part, it's really funny, it was just last week that i realized you can lower the crane-arm while you're moving from post to post so that it reaches the next post faster.  I've been working on getting the best position to jump from the crane back to the control room, but i'll work more on that in a few days or so when I get to recording that segment.

Once you get out of the missile silo, there isn't really a reason to NOT use MGA.

I had gotten sub WR segments recorded up to Lost tunnel, but once i started watching them and encoding them I noticed that when I play the game at 16:9 resolution I get weird visual hiccups and stutters ocassionally.  Just like....tiny fps drops.  The game doesn't lag (times are unaffected and the audio is also unaffected) but visually, I hate it.  Soooooo....I'm going to start over at a slightly lower resolution for playing the game, but record at a higher resolution than I have been.  (I had been downscaling the 1600x900 to 800x450 while recording with fraps).

Thanks for the info on how SDA times the game.  The way I time my segments is starting the timer when I hit the 'any key to continue', which is starts the level (i hit my fraps hotkey and my timer hotkey at the same time) then i hit stop on fraps and the timer as soon as i see the loading screen for next level.  Obviously this doesn't work exactly the same for your single segment, but I assume that the official timing for the single segment wouldn't include load times.

SO ANYWAY...I'm going to start recording again tonight and I'll put some extra time into attempting to pin down exactly how to get the best times possible on those areas with large mutant battles (hunter, chase, catacombs.)  I'll try and post some more info tonight, as I find it, on a level by level basis.
Quote from sandstormify:
There are also other situations where I killed them really fast and they suddenly stopped running up to the hand car and it was this awkward ride until Boris woke up and the guy came down to knock me, with this split I got a 7:20 or so. This game is weird...

I've had similar experiences when fighting the watchmen at the end of Dead City 2.  Where I kill one or two of them and then just stand there with Bourbon for a bit doing nothing.  And then suddenly the demon comes swooping in and the level is over.  Shit is definitely weird.
Cool cool, that sounds great. And to answer your question, I don't shoot them untill they start to jump up to the car. I usually use the shotgun and shoot them in mid air (for fun) since it's pretty boring.
I've never had the fps or stutters with my recordings. I also use fraps. The only occation where it does stutter is if my computer is loading something in the background. Else it's very smooth.
I'm pretty sure that my tiny fps drops (i'm talking like...watching the fraps counter drop from 60, 120, whatever, to 2-5 frames below that number for a second or two.  I'm 95% sure this is my computer because this happens when i'm playing metro 2033 even if fraps isn't recording or even if i dont even have fraps going at all.  Which is odd, because I can play Metro:Last Light on max settings and never have this issue.  My computer is crazy. 

Mostly it's just annoying to me.  According to Nate, it's not a problem, but i want the videos to run as smooth as possible so I'm trying to fix this issue.  It's really just a cosmetic thing.

For example, in  the video i just attached, right at like 7-8 seconds in, when i run up to the abandoned ammo booth, that's what i'm talking about.  Do you see it?  Or am i just nuts?

I'm considering using Nvidia's shadow play recording option, or at least trying it out, since apparently it consumes less resources than fraps.  or something.  I dont know.

Anyway, i gotta stop worrying about this stuff and get back to testing those levels....

Attachment:
Tongue If nate says it's good then it's good. Yeah don't worry about it, I'm sure it wont cause much of a problem.
Quote from sandstormify:
On Hunter there have been some situations where the segment would be like 5:02-5:04 then on another run getting 4:50-4:55 being completely based on the killing of the nosalises. From what I can tell, it is based on either what order or how fast you kill them, you can skip a whole sequence of the nosalises spawning and go straight into the dialogue. ex. Starting dialogue at 4:45 other than 4:55.

I just ran the level from start to finish like 8 times. 

Side note:  Nvidia shadow play....totally didn't work.  bleh.  Then spent like an hour messing with antialias settings in my graphics card.  Then spent 30 minutes messing with my user.cfg file to see if i could get fps quality.  Then spent 40 minutes reverse all the problems I had caused.  Done with that. 

Anyway, ran it like 8 times...so here's what I think...

I'm not keeping track of what time the dialogue starts at the end of the level.  I'm just keeping track of when the level/segment ends which is when i get the loading screen for the next level (pretty much as soon as you can skip the cut scene)  And I start the time for the level as soon as it starts--In my times i'm including the section of the intro cutscene before you can skip it. 

Best time I could get for the level from start to finish is still 5:00-5:02 ish.    This is with all the nosalisis dead and hunter and peter start talking at 4:45ish and then entering the cutscene, skipping it, and stopping the timer as soon as i see the next level loading. 

Are you ending your segment timing when the dialogue starts or when the cutscene starts?  Either way, i think we are talking about the same thing, just timing it differently.  During many of my attempts on Hunter i get times of 5:10+

I've found the best method to be to stand directly in the middle of the room where they drop from the ceiling.  As far as i can tell, the first mutant to drop is non-interactive and there's nothing to do with it.  Then 3 mutants drop.  You can shoot these, but if your standing right underneath where they drop, i'm finding that your buddies kill them just as fast as you can shoot them, so it may or may not be worth it. 

Then i just keep standing there and do my  best to just rotate around and shoot the ones in the vents as fast as possible.  Which is sometimes frustrating because i think their spawns are randomized and sometimes a dead mutant will get in the way of the living one and you have to leave that area in the center of the room. (which, IMO gives you the best vantage point to quckly shoot at any of the 4 vents.

I'm thinking that if you keep the vents as clear as possible, as fast as possible (obviously) the next 3 (i think) nosalisis to drop from the ceiling get taken by your buddies and then there is only one or two more in the vents and then you are done. 

I'm gonna grind out another few runs and see if i can make it consistent.
Edit history:
sandstormify: 2014-02-17 08:27:28 pm
sandstormify: 2014-02-17 08:26:25 pm
I stop the timer after the cut scene where you press E I just remember one time where the dialogue happens so fast and I got sub 5 mins I basically killed all the ones in the vent and once I killed one of them I think hunter killed the one that was running around and it started the dialogue. I know it's possible for sub 5:00 at least a 4:55. Idk it's weird.

Plus the nosalises only need 2 shots to kill. if you're fast and you kill them as soon as they start running to the vent you can do good.

I might have time tomorrow and grind out a few myself to see what I can get, hopefully record one so I can upload.
Yeah, after grinding out a few more tries I was able to get sub 5min as well.  I'm also thinking I'm finding the pattern of which vents they spawn in.  Killing the mutants in the vents ASAP seems to be producing the best results.
There are situations when hunter and alex wont kill the one that runs around. Either they miss or w.e. You end up losing time from that as well. So there is rng to it.
Trying to figure out how you could've bugged out on Chase and gotten 7:13.  Played it for the last hour and cant get anything below 7:20.  I feel like...if it's reproducible bug I need to be able to do it for a segmented run.  Pls game...why...
I'm on my ipad so I can't log in so.

I've been able to averagely get about.. 7:16-7:18. On chase cause it still glitches a little bit where I am teleported when I get up. It's really weird. I think I do remember what I did prior. It was a really good run so I it's not hard to. I believe I used the shotgun and I never missed a single nosalis, I also only used single shot other than both barrels at the same time. Basically hit them in mid air as they jumped onto the car. I remember laughing because one of them flew past me pretty fast.

That's basically all I know. I also choose to do kind of side ways jumps since some part of me thinks that jumping is faster.
Basically w+d and jumping. I so wish I didn't screw up depot that run... Would have a sub 2:40:00.

Anyway I will test a few things in the morning hopefully to get a better understanding. 
All right.. that went better than I expected. My first run I got a 7:17, and then my second run was a 7:13.37.
I will post the video after I get it uploaded to YouTube.

It was basically the same situation as the what I said earlier, I shot them in mid air (I did miss a few but it seems it doesn't even matter), and I don't even think the glitch when you fall off is even needed since it didn't happen there.
I did notice that the guy spawned as soon as I killed the last nosalis so idk.
Edit history:
sandstormify: 2014-02-18 12:41:42 pm
Here it is, my fraps messed up and made it so it doesn't have sound... Sad I added music to make it less quiet.. If you don't like it just mute it..

Hm.  Awesome.

Well I guess I just need to keep trying. 
Okay, I did Hunter and I got about a 4:56.37, It seems that when I stop the timer it is when the dialogue stops and it switches to the cut scene. Other than after you press E to skip it. So it's about a 4:58, I feel like it could be faster, but I doubt by much.

I'll upload this video as well. Tongue
Yeah, that's pretty much the fastest time I've been able to get on it as well.
Edit history:
sandstormify: 2014-02-18 02:15:19 pm
Yeah, you have to really focus on the vents, and the vents do spawn the same way every time. It's the matter of learning the spawns.

Just check my youtube channel in like 20-30 mins, I'll post the video on here later tonight.
Indeed, the vents.  I'm going to just grind on Chase till i get a comparable time and then, thankfully, move on to new levels tonight.  Riga should be cake.  Lost tunnels will be one of those levels that I play for hours, think I have a 'best' time on, and then try it again tomorrow get a lower time, or find out that you've already clocked a lower time.  Ha.  I'm not too worried about it.  Hoping to at least get through bridge tonight.

Also, as a side note, what do you know about this  (the following is from bebe's description of the current WR run)

"l14_cursed:
This is a very ugly part of the run. I did everything correctly but It seems there is another improvement but I didn't know anything about it.(Kekskiller -10sec)"

I haven't timed my runs of cursed, so I'm not sure if my time would beat his already.  What is this 10 sec time saver that's being talked about though?
I have no idea lol

The time on Cursed for him is 3:36, and my time on it is a 3:26, but idk what that is. I basically do the same thing he does, I guess I do it faster o.O.

I've always had trouble on lost tunnel, but my best time is a 3:12 which is actually pretty good since his is a 3:40. I'll have to test it because idk if I split early or not since my on my PB I got a 3:36.97 (it was horrible).

How do you run lost tunnels? Do you buy the 3 nades like bebe does? Or do you do another one of your "secret strats". But anyway I'll look at that tomorrow or something.

I also gotta get a better route set up for bridge, I want to use that jump that you use to bypass one of the flags that spawn the nosalises, i'm also sure it saves a little time. But at the same time It is really risky.. I end up missing it a lot which is a pain when you do single segment.

Also here is the Hunter run.