Smiley
Sad
<- 123456789
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Laser segment shouldn't be too bad. I certainly would not minding grinding out a perfect laser.

As for feros segments, the old timeh run got several segments during the fight. Some of them took a while to clear out every enemy, but a couple seemed doable.
This part seems the most difficult to plan, as how much we can segment depends on our build, and our build depends on how much we segment.
twitch.tv/letterswords
did my first "real" run through with the route (only went up to citadel 2 since that's where it equals out and my stream was dropping in and out a bunch because of my internet). Here's some things I noticed:

Level-ups don't seem to be an issue really; I ended up the exact same level by the point in virmire where I typically level up by going therum->noveria->virmire. I think we will want to do our level ups on those three planets as well (could also do one on feros I suppose). We also can only hit 8 intimidate by Virmire (we don't have enough renegade points), but from what I saw, that was sufficient to give me the intimidate option with Saren on Virmire. We'd probably also want to level up on Therum for the Krogan fight so we can get lift and keep him stunned while we kill him.

Thorian fight seemed noticably faster, and Benezia fight seemed a bit better too. All in all, I think the route Therum->Noveria->Virmire->Feros definitely saves time. Having Liara for some of the fights is definitely useful too (we also have 2 party members for the Krogan breeding grounds fight on Virmire now).

The post-Feros cutscene skip seems to be quite tricky. I'll have to practice it a bit and see if I can figure out what exactly I need to do to make it work, but it seems like you may also need to have your weapon drawn after you hit the decontamination button (which I think you do by quickly switching weapons after you hit the button) to be able to pull off the cutscene skip.

There are also a few cutscene skips that probably don't save time: the Eden Prime digsite (at least if you stack it with the Ashley skip) and the Dock Worker skip. The digsite one I think is hurt by not being able to sprint since you are storing the Ashley cutscene still and can't sprint while weapon swapping. Maybe if you QS+L for the ashley one and then do the skip for the digsite separately it would save time, but I think skipping at least the Ashley one if not the digsite works. The dock worker one seems bad because even if you store it you seem get teleported back to where the dock worker is once you hit a certain part on the tram, and since you are in combat you can't QS+L right away.
Uh, yeah. Skipping the dockworker doesn't make any sense if you're skipping Ashley, since the potential gains are around under half a second, and you're spending way more than that to do it. It would pretty much only be worth it if you could get an immediate save, since the only thing it does is teleport you a small distance and kill your momentum. And, definitely, the ashley/digsite skips should be done on their own. Having to carry the Ashley cutscene all the way forward to the digsite to make it unload was why it wasn't in the route before.

I wasn't even thinking about having liara for the thorian fight. That seems like a pretty big help.

For therum, killing the armature on foot is a nice source of xp if you need it.

As for the feros scene skip, it seems that the first save doesn't have anything to do with weapon switching. You just spam the quicksave button, and correctly time hitting escape to be able to load it before the cutscene starts. The window isn't super precise, but it does require you to time it properly.

After learning to do that, I realized that I could do a similar thing in the post-eden prime cutscene. I could make the first save. However, I couldn't do anything after that to skip the scene. It's a shame, because if we could skip that scene, it just might lead to a citadel 1 skip.
Edit history:
letterswords: 2015-02-22 04:49:50 pm
twitch.tv/letterswords
Just thought I'd mention here that i got DrTChops to help make a no-loads plugin for livesplit, which I have tested out and seems to be working. Should be able to show it off in my next stream, and should also be in some upcoming version of livesplit by default.
Sounds useful. Should really help with comparing new route to old.
Hey guys, thanks for all the work and research so far. I'm tinkering around in ME1 and am tempted to do some runs. Has anyone come up with criteria for 100% runs? Seems like getting all achievements could take more than 4 playthroughs. Would 100% consist of all missions & assignments, or maybe more like a completionist% where you go until you hit the completionist achievement?
twitch.tv/letterswords
100% would be all missions and assignments. I think there's some discussion earlier in the thread about it.
Ah - You're right. I hadn't gone back in the thread far enough to discover all of that. Still catching up.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be contributing soon - I only recently played ME1 through for the first time so I'm still getting familiar with everything. By far my favorite game though, so I can't wait to run it.
twitch.tv/letterswords
I have a (slightly outdated) tutorial made for the any% run here, if you're interested in that too: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQeT9_Qq1xIYJyJARfMBhIRWmVOywx6Qk . Also probably worth checking out one of my newer runs to check out the new trick (although you can read about it in this thread too) which may be useful to apply elsewhere in a 100% run.
Going through that now - thanks alot for taking the time to put that together. Outdated or not - it's a starting place so that is very helpful.
I'm going to try to get started with a segmented run. If you want in, PM me and I'll invite you to a planning google doc.
twitch.tv/letterswords
I've been pretty busy lately so I think I'll have to pass for now. Might join you eventually though.
I'm not sure how much time I'd be able to give it either, but I'll let you know if things open up.
Edit history:
Lord Shadow Z: 2015-09-20 10:32:28 pm
Hello, I decided I wanted to try a speedrun, and this being one of my favorite games of all time my decision of which game was pretty easy. I'm planning on going for single segment NG+ any% just for fun and there are a few things I'm not too clear on. My biggest questions are for NG+ does Infiltrator or Vanguard have any significant advantages over the other in terms of speed? And is there a specific order of planets that is particularly faster or more efficient than other routes aside from probably going to Therum last? Also, are there any tips you guys could give to help me plan the run, things I should watch out for or might overlook, or anything else important I should know about speedrunning this game? Thanks in advance.

Also, thanks for breaking one of my favorite games. I enjoyed your runs and I can't wait to try these glitches and skips for myself.
Edit history:
letterswords: 2015-09-21 03:39:46 pm
twitch.tv/letterswords
Since you had a bunch of questions, I'll tackle them all one by one

1. Vanguard vs. Infiltrator. As far as I know we never ended up definitively one way or another on which is faster. The only real major difference between the two is that Infiltrator can do the kill on Fist from OOB which is faster than the clip into his room that Vanguard has to do. Conversely, there are certain powers like Warp that the Vanguard has that can make fights faster. So really I'd just say personal preference? There's some saves and stuff here you can use: http://www.speedrun.com/masseffect1/resources

2. Order of planets: Actually, now it shouldn't matter at all what order you do planets in. No one has done a run of NG+ with the new trick (I've done runs of NG with it), and the new trick makes the time losses from doing Therum earlier no longer relevant. I honestly forget why I settled on the route I ended up with for NG of Therum->Noveria->Feros->Virmire, but it was definitely the faster there and should still be pretty fast for NG+. If you aren't doing the new glitch though, just copy the route from the NG+ run I linked below.

3. Other tips: I made a tutorial (for NG) that might be of some use to you. Unfortunately, it predates the trick I mentioned, so that combined with it not being for NG+ may limit its usefulness, but I do describe how to do all the OOB stuff, which is probably the hardest thing to learn from just watching a random run. So with that in mind, here's the tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQeT9_Qq1xIYJyJARfMBhIRWmVOywx6Qk plus the NG+ record by your_name_here http://www.speedrun.com/run/9yo797mx and my current NG pb (only run to really show off the new trick): http://www.speedrun.com/run/nz1jx89z

4. Briefly describing the new trick I mentioned above: First off, I should mention outright that I'm pretty sure this will only be doable if you have a free-scrolling mouse wheel, so if you don't, just stick to the old route. But anyways, you want to have mouse-wheel bound in one direction to swap weapons, and the other direction as your text skipping (tutorial explains how to rebind text skipping). Basically, weapon swapping allows you to delay the start of certain dialogue scenes (mainly the cutscenes you get upon returning to the Normandy after completing any of the planets). If you quicksave very fast and then load your save all before the cutscene starts playing, you can skip some of the cutscenes. My PB should show you every location where this is useful.
Yeah, I already watched a bit of your tutorial yesterday and took extensive notes on the route and glitches for the first few areas, and tested out the glitches for myself to make sure I could do them. It was pretty awesome. I'll continue to watch and take notes over the next few days. I'll probably use one of those save files from now on so I don't have to worry as much about a good build which was another thing I was struggling to figure out. I don't have a free-scrolling mouse but I wasn't planing on trying that trick anyway. My goal is just to get a sub 2 hour run which I'm thinking about recording and posting just for the hell of it. I don't really want to go for WR territory, I'm doing this just for fun, but I might set higher goals if I start doing these tricks consistently well. Thanks for the tips, your tutorial has already proven extremely useful.