Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Ereanith: 2015-07-31 06:14:56 pm
Double toast
Edit history:
Akitaka1: 2015-08-02 04:13:38 pm
Akitaka1: 2015-07-31 07:06:39 pm
I would like to say something along the lines of "I'm coming for the world record", but since that's really not possible at my current skill level I'll settle for crying in a corner alone with my inadequate splits. Gg wp.
"Quote" -Author
Sub-optimal / 10, but I'm still the king, bby.

(11:18, a skype friend called, it's a little loud because of a custom ringtone. Use caution and in closing, my b.)
"Quote" -Author
Quote from Akitaka1:
I would like to say something along the lines of "I'm coming for the world record", but since that's really not possible at my current skill level I'll settle for crying in a corner alone with my inadequate splits. Gg wp.

Just takes practice, dude. My run is so unoptimal it's funny, but I was tired of this game making me it's beach to put it's towel on and sunbathe on me. Don't let the game get tan on you, dude.
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-07-31 07:59:16 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-07-31 07:51:31 pm
Need to do a loading count for the runs, they are within 20 seconds of each other.

Edit:
Wombat's run has about 20 seconds more loading time, so it is definitely faster, clocking in at 33:00 exactly.

As for the races, Fridays should be good. What is the earliest you 'muricans are free most Fridays? It's probably better we get a time that way, since if we base it on good times for GMT it will likely be too early for you guys.
Hi!  Just got into the game and fell in love with it.  In the past I always wanted to speed run a stealth game, and this just feels right.  I was wondering what category I should work on.  Currently I have been doing a lot of NG Glitched Stealth Pacifist practice, but was told a lot of people here don't like glitched.  I do have a question.  If a dog sees you it triggers what you think is an alarm, but it doesn't calculate it at the score.  Does that count?
Indian Ocean bro!
Of course people here like the glitched look in the first page. If you like the stealth etc. you should run NG Obake, look at Wombat run just above.
^ NG Obake would probably be a good match if you like the stealth aspect of the game but still want to do stuff like wallkicks. As for your question about the dogs, to my knowledge when they fully detect you/trigger an alarm it does show up on the result screen.
Indian Ocean bro!
Hum I would like to know, Wombat you start the first timer when you start to move, is that the right moment? Because I start it when i skip the first cutscene
Edit history:
Wombat123456: 2015-08-02 12:32:52 pm
"Quote" -Author
Quote from Fuzin:
Hum I would like to know, Wombat you start the first timer when you start to move, is that the right moment? Because I start it when i skip the first cutscene

As soon as you get control over the character, you start the timer. This is to cut out loading times easier.

Quote from Akitaka1:
^ NG Obake would probably be a good match if you like the stealth aspect of the game but still want to do stuff like wallkicks. As for your question about the dogs, to my knowledge when they fully detect you/trigger an alarm it does show up on the result screen.

Dogs can't set off alarms, they don't have fingers. Also, it doesn't show up on the results screen so they're fine to just run past. There isn't really a place we see dogs, other than level 3. Even if one barks at you, it doesn't matter unless you get a guards attention.
Edit history:
Akitaka1: 2015-08-02 12:41:04 pm
Quote from Wombat123456:
Quote from Fuzin:

As soon as you get control over the character, you start the timer. This is to cut out loading times easier.

Quote from Akitaka1:

Dogs can't set off alarms, they don't have fingers. Also, it doesn't show up on the results screen so they're fine to just run past. There isn't really a place we see dogs, other than level 3. Even if one barks at you, it doesn't matter unless you get a guards attention.

Huh. The more you know.
Edit history:
Fuzin: 2015-08-02 02:19:18 pm
Indian Ocean bro!
Wombat, i just watched the whole video and I have a few question/suggestion.
- In lvl 10 why don't you do the trick to talk to dosan just once?
- In the very beginning of lvl 11 I don't think that the teleport makes you win time.
- Then when you pass the traps, the cooldown of the teleportation resets so you don't have to restart the checkpoint ans i think you can just teleport past the girl without wallkicking.
"Quote" -Author
Quote from Fuzin:
Wombat, i just watched the whole video and I have a few question/suggestion.
- In lvl 10 why don't you do the trick to talk to dosan just once?
- In the very beginning of lvl 11 I don't think that the teleport makes you win time.
- Then when you pass the traps, the cooldown of the teleportation resets so you don't have to restart the checkpoint ans i think you can just teleport past the girl without wallkicking.

Nerves and forgetfulness, to be honest. In my experience with skipping Dosan the first time I forgot the parameters, but the game would occasionally soft-lock. That left me in a room with Dosan and no way to acquire the tools to free him. It felt like a more safe than sorry situation to just talk to him and get to the next place.

I thought the tele at lvl 11 saved time, I was wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I remembered the cooldown of the tele reset, but my muscle memory told me to reset checkpoint. That really sucked because I was crying in the back of my mind during a lot of this run. (Not to mention the countless skips I missed such as the dart skip and the cutscene skip on level 3.)

Just, don't speedrun like I do. The way I see it, bygones are bygones. I'll run again, this is just a landmark until my next (and hopefully better) run. Smiley
Indian Ocean bro!
Well I just did a run, I'm so happy about it, I didn't do any major fails but there's a thing i don't understand at all, even when i do a good run like this I'm still far behind the WR, I've don 38:31 while the WR is 35:37, and even my sum of best is 36:58. Can you please take a look at my run and tell me what I'm doing wrong, after all this hours practicing I'd hope I could be better but I'm so bad at this game... Please Help!

Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 03:20:36 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 03:17:36 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 03:15:22 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 03:13:59 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 03:12:55 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 03:08:03 pm
I'll watch it now. Note that you are running against my WR (it isn't very good since I didn't do that category that often) and I have put hundreds of hours into this game, so it is natural that you aren't quite there yet. I'll let you know if I see anything drastic.

Notes (updating as I go):
- Your execution seems good, that is unlikely the issue.
- You are 20 seconds slower on level 5 (just checking the times right now, not sure why that is, ill go back and check once I'm done).
- Another 20 seconds down on level 7.
- Another 20 seconds on level 9 (there seems to be a pattern, looks like some of your levels just aren't quite optimal)
- I really can't see anything drastic. I think you are simply not 100% confident in some of the levels. Most likely it is that you are slower at certain things. For example, holding focus too long to aim can eat up A LOT of time in the long run.

What I suggest doing is watching the runs side by side and seeing where you start to fall behind on each level. There seems to be a consistent 20 seconds lost on certain levels, which must be due to slight errors adding up. Your execution looks great based on what I have seen, so you just need to get the muscle memory for the levels a little better.
So after like 100 hours of speedrunning motn, I've found out about the jump cancel glitch. (Due to laziness and general stupidity I had never read the entire first post) So, I have a question for you guys. What cutscenes can be skipped?
Quote from Akitaka1:
So after like 100 hours of speedrunning motn, I've found out about the jump cancel glitch. (Due to laziness and general stupidity I had never read the entire first post) So, I have a question for you guys. What cutscenes can be skipped?

Only level 4, of course you can do the super slide in the dojo of level 9.
Sorry Wombat.

Vod going up soon
Quote:
What I suggest doing is watching the runs side by side and seeing where you start to fall behind on each level. There seems to be a consistent 20 seconds lost on certain levels, which must be due to slight errors adding up. Your execution looks great based on what I have seen, so you just need to get the muscle memory for the levels a little better.

This. I used to do this a lot when Chaz used to beat my records in NG any%, it can be really helpful to see what strats are unoptimal, and what needs to be changed.
Also, anyone have a new app to show the current playing song? I used SMG, but the add-on required for it to work not just kinda links to adware.
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 04:49:52 pm
I'll put it on the front page when I get a chance to exclude loading times.

P.S. Please everyone let me know when you are free on Fridays (doesn't need to be every Friday) and I will try and get a weekly race set up on SRL. If you are from Europe, it will likely be sometime past midnight since we have several long time runners from the other side of the planet and it is only fair to get a time suitable for them. If you are behind GMT by a reasonable about, try and give a time that is relatively early to make it easier for runners near GMT.
Edit history:
Fuzin: 2015-08-03 05:02:22 pm
Indian Ocean bro!
Well okay I'm gonna try this but hell I'm so pissed to have done such a good run and still be that behind... I'll work on it. And I thought about starting to run NG+ Any% or maybe Obake. Is someone interested in this run? Because the current WR is with a glitch that don't work anymore so I'll maybe need someone to challenge me.
I tried for a bit but I'm not very good at wallkicking I gotta train that.

And now I'm a Maths teacher so I'll probably have quite all the Friday free but I live in GMT+4 so we'll have to find a good time.

PS: Right now I played MotN 125 hours.
PS2: with FFsplit there you can add a layer now playing, it's that simple, that's what I use.
Edit history:
Ereanith: 2015-08-03 05:06:01 pm
Ereanith: 2015-08-03 05:05:33 pm
I am off this friday, so I should be good to go any time.
Edit: The friday after that though is not on my work schedule, so it might be hit or miss. If I work that day, itll be after 20:00 EST
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 05:14:55 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 05:13:50 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-08-03 05:13:49 pm
Quote:
Well okay I'm gonna try this but hell I'm so pissed to have done such a good run and still be that behind

You aren't as far off as you think. It's mostly just small things adding up.

NG+ Any% needs an old client. I have it of course, because I ran it, but I can't share it because of obvious reasons. So unless you have it, you really can't do it. You can actually do the run, since all you need to do is wallkick through the wall then Serenity to get the same effect, but you lose time every time you wallkick. You can probably beat that run using the new client since it was done before consistent wallkicking was discovered, but it is still a very tight run and beating it on a sub-optimal client would be.. well.. sub-optimal.

As for times, so far we are looking at 2am GMT, which would be like 6am GMT+4, not really ideal. I don't expect to get the time any earlier than 4am GMT+4.