Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 43 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Gotcha. Thanks anyways! I'm thinking about just running  another category tbh.
Akitaka1, I am probably the most knowledgeable resource on Obake if you are still interested.
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-06-20 07:02:29 am
I am running NG No-OoB Obake currently, it's a lot of fun. I can't play that much since I'm busy with other stuff as always, but the category definitely has potential to be an entertaining watch. It is quite mechanically intensive though due to the massive amount of item switching required to get past some guards that are skipped in OoB Obake. I'll try getting a run up some time for discussion, I would love to optimize it.
Yeah, it's really a lot of fun. I was drawn towards the category because for me it held the aspects that drew me to the game in the first place while having a healthy amount of glitches. I've been learning from Ereanith's WR run and currently hold a PB of 36:15. I've dabbled in NG OoB Obake but haven't even scratched the surface of learning it. Finally, I have a couple of questions about the rules regarding the "no gunshots" aspect. 1.) do flare guns count as gunshots? I've been looking for a way to consistantly prevent guards from firing them, and I'd like to know if it's even neccesary! 2.) This one is a silly question, but I thought I'd ask all the same. Do the bombs during chapter ten count? Obviously they're not gunshots but since during my run I detonate one to save some time I'd like to make sure.
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-06-22 09:42:09 am
I find the gunshot rule a bit strange personally. It was imposed by Wombat, the original runner of Obake. The only gunshot you really need to worry about is Kelly at the end of level 5. He will take a shot if he sees something from far away without triggering an alert, which is why you must use darts to lure him into the spike trap since he won't fire if you do this. I'm pretty sure Kelly shooting doesn't actually trigger an alert, so I don't know why Wombat imposed this rule. Throwing the dart to lure him is way more consistent anyway, so it never really comes into play.

So basically, gunshots aren't really a thing and you shouldn't worry about them. A gunshot occurs after an alert 99% of the time, which is obviously not allowed. I think the rule is due to Kelly's really strange behavior, since he takes a shot intended to be lethal despite not alerting, but any other guard will not act with lethal intentions when being distracted but only use means to investigate (such as the flare gun you mentioned). For the same reason, bombs aren't an issue; they aren't the result of a guard acting with lethal intentions.
Okay, thanks. I'm sorry for bothering you some more, but I have a question about chapter 2 in the room where you bypass the laser blocking the grate. (I'm sorry if this is vague, I'm not sure how else to describe it) How does the skip where you go through the laser without cutting the power work? I've been pulling it off by positioning myself in the same place every time and aggresively mashing space upon getting close to the grate, but I would like to know how it exactly works. I'm sure that there's an explanation in the thread somewhere but I'm far too lazy to scroll through the entire thing.
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-06-23 08:43:07 am
ChazneySR: 2015-06-23 02:48:17 am
ChazneySR: 2015-06-22 08:02:51 pm
It's timing based, positioning isn't important. Press the jump button just as you hit the grate. There are a few frames of error, so you can press it twice, but make sure your first press is when you hit the grate. Mashing will give you inconsistent results since the correct frames may end up between two presses. The timing is quite lenient, so once you get the hang of it you should very rarely fail.

I have controller inputs on my stream, so you can see (I actually only press the button once, I still recommend pressing it twice): http://www.twitch.tv/chazneysr/c/3816221?t=3m18s

EDIT:
In other news, I just did a no reset run of NG No-OoB Obake clocking in at 57:25. Far from perfect and includes a ridiculous amount of alert failures, but the category is so damn punishing it will be a while before the extra 15 minutes or so of mistakes are shaved off.
The NG No-Oob Obake run looks really interesting. I'll try to catch your streams when I can, but I keep missing them!  As soon as I have access to a decent computer again, I'll be sure to play around with the category myself. Additionally, I'll try to put up a video of a regular Obake run soon, as I would appreciate some input about what I can do to improve.
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-06-25 08:24:04 am
ChazneySR: 2015-06-25 08:21:19 am
ChazneySR: 2015-06-25 06:18:14 am
ChazneySR: 2015-06-25 06:18:01 am
Apologies if you watched the run on the past broadcasts, it was terrible and mostly just for gathering myself times to work against. =) I won't be posting a run until I feel satisfied with the route. As I said, I won't be streaming often. I'm very busy with work so a lot of my streams will be 1-2 hours, at most twice per day and likely not daily.

I have considered imposing a non-lethal rule to Obake, which is certainly possible in no-OoB, and then by definition also in OoB. My route has very few casualties, and I feel I can remove them all with very little time losses. The current Obake record is owned by Austin which means it is not in my power to change the rule and invalidate his run, but while non-lethal wasn't a rule, it looks like he performed a non-lethal run anyway, which is great since this allows anyone to impose this rule without invalidating any runs.

How does adding a non-lethal rule to the Obake category sound? It will then be the ultimate stealth category and would prevent creating YET ANOTHER category that we do not need (we have enough as it is).

EDIT:
Killing the helicopter pilot on level 8 counts as a kill on the statistics screen, which means detouring to destroy the communications machine instead. This doesn't take much longer (about 15 seconds more), but OoB actually skips this kill! This means we can still impose a non-lethal rule.
Edit history:
Akitaka1: 2015-06-27 01:06:25 pm
Akitaka1: 2015-06-27 01:06:20 pm
Akitaka1: 2015-06-27 01:06:20 pm
Akitaka1: 2015-06-26 07:36:07 pm
Akitaka1: 2015-06-25 10:24:16 am
I compeletely agree about adding the non-lethal rule. My current Obake run is already non-lethal except for the absolutely neccesary kills, of course (Kelly, Karajan, etc.), so non-lethal sounds fine to me. It's relatively easy in Oob because of the huge skips, but I can see it being pretty difficult in No-Oob. At least it will make for some interesting strats, I suppose
"Quote" -Author
I'm coming back for my record. Two minutes with that kind of level 1? Not on this watch. B)
"Quote" -Author
This game blows.

Indian Ocean bro!
Lol. It happens pretty often to me...
Edit history:
Akitaka1: 2015-07-29 05:44:07 pm
Akitaka1: 2015-07-29 05:43:51 pm
Akitaka1: 2015-07-29 05:43:35 pm

I'm not sure that this actually saves time, but I think it's really funny so I'm putting it here.
"Quote" -Author
You may have just changed that section forever. I don't even know if I'm being sarcastic in saying that, but that's the funniest and most useful technique I've seen for that section of level 10 yet.
Good evening/morning/day/what order am I doing this in? Mark of the Ninja runners, new and old.

Me and Wombat have been talking and would love to get races going with as many people as possible. I still don't have time to run, unfortunately, but I can definitely take time out to do some races. Please keep in touch and I will try and contact the old-school runners for some racing action.
Indian Ocean bro!
I could race but for now just the NG+ No-OoB and I'm the only one who run this category ^^'
"Quote" -Author
It's no problem really. I only run Obake and I still play in any% races. It's just for fun anyway, so don't stress if it's a category you don't run. Cheesy
No NG any% races with Chaz any more. That record stays as is.
"Quote" -Author
Why don't we do a NG any % randomizer and try to pick a date? I remember those races being pretty hype.
Indian Ocean bro!
If we could send someone to the agdq it'll be great too
Edit history:
ChazneySR: 2015-07-31 04:49:12 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-07-31 04:47:22 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-07-31 04:45:06 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-07-31 04:43:31 pm
ChazneySR: 2015-07-31 04:42:58 pm
Quote from Wombat123456:
Why don't we do a NG any % randomizer and try to pick a date? I remember those races being pretty hype.

I still have the application I made, so that is a possibility. By the way, how does it sound that I put an option to remove 'good' items, like bugs, from the random generation, along with Serenity (actually, looks like I already removed Serenity)? Should make them even more interesting. I think we already banned bat gliding.

Quote from Fuzin:
If we could send someone to the agdq it'll be great too

#TooPoor.jpg

As for dates, we will see. We can do a regular friday/saturday night run, perhaps change the category every week (minus NG Any% because I once got a really lucky run and Austin will never forgive me for it). Probably best to pick a day first.
Edit history:
Wombat123456: 2015-07-31 05:58:36 pm
Wombat123456: 2015-07-31 05:55:30 pm
"Quote" -Author

Video's gonna be up in a few minutes.

Edit: Prepare for false hype, btw. I need to check for casualties. (2nd Edit): Nope, we clean. GGs.
"Quote" -Author
Quote from ChazneySR:
I still have the application I made, so that is a possibility. By the way, how does it sound that I put an option to remove 'good' items, like bugs, from the random generation, along with Serenity (actually, looks like I already removed Serenity)?

Sounds good to me.

Quote from ChazneySR:
Probably best to pick a day first.

If we can get some tomorrow, that'd be great. It's one of the only Saturdays I'm free, actually. (Fridays are better for me, unless we want to do the races at Late O' Clock EST.)
Edit history:
Ereanith: 2015-07-31 06:14:43 pm
Ereanith: 2015-07-31 06:13:53 pm
Hey wombat

just kidding this is sum of best, but im comming for that back. All of my runs tonight were solid close to under 30 min pace, then went south on one level. Get ready for the booty blasting.