Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 43 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I've been testing fast strats for the new level 11 beginning, and I've found a route that seems to be pretty fast. I timed it against some different runs, and it's 2 seconds faster than pre-patch NG+ Any% and 5-7 seconds faster than post patch.

Would anybody be up for a race after Vyreck gets back from SGDQ? I feel like it would be fun to do something as a community again.
Quote from Akitaka1:
Would anybody be up for a race after Vyreck gets back from SGDQ? I feel like it would be fun to do something as a community again.

Why wait? Smiley I could race any evening (CEST / UTC+2) this weekend including Friday. I'm also off work next week, so I'm available at almost any time then too.
Go for it, but I'm booked solid till the event.
Edit history:
Akitaka1: 2016-06-30 05:34:04 pm
Akitaka1: 2016-06-30 04:48:57 pm
Akitaka1: 2016-06-30 04:48:30 pm
Akitaka1: 2016-06-30 04:47:53 pm
Akitaka1: 2016-06-30 04:47:36 pm

I finally brought any% to sub 27! There's no doubt that running NG+ made me a better at general movement, which makes a huge difference.

Video:
Indian Ocean bro!
Vyreck I'm commentating your run on the french restream, would you like me to say something in particular?
Quote from Akitaka1:
I finally brought any% to sub 27! There's no doubt that running NG+ made me a better at general movement, which makes a huge difference.

Well, aren't you just cranking these out like there's no tomorrow. Great work! Cheesy Timed and updated.
Quote from Fuzin:
Vyreck I'm commentating your run on the french restream, would you like me to say something in particular?

Awesome! Nothing especially important. I will be going for full control over On Ive since that's kinda my one big find. Are you confident on all the new skips/tech in Noobake? Last two months had some notable changes.
Edit history:
Vyreck: 2016-07-01 09:14:38 pm
By the way, I've really been thinking about trying to get the auto splitter off the ground.

1. More consistent 2. Saves Em some trouble 3. Easier to get speedrun.com involved 4. MUCH easier to compare splits/runs

What I'm asking is what people think is on which side of the line?  Obviously loading screens are out, cutscenes should be out. But then it's a bit less clear cut. What doesn't count as a loading screen? For example. Akitaka sold me on keeping the shopping screen, but I personally don't like the score screen as it can lag sometimes do no obvious reason.

I expect people to be on board with the idea, but we should really get a unified idea of what IGT should count as in the process.

I'm planning on asking around at SGDQ for a good process on making an accurate timer, so hopefully we can get this done in the future.
That would be really cool. I don't agree that cutscenes should be out. In my opinion, exactly two things should be out: Loading screens and "uploading score". To be honest I haven't been cutting the score upload times when I've timed runs, since they've seemed consistently short, but we'll need to if/when we push the competition down to 10 seconds or less.

Anyway, those are the only things where the player has absolutely no control. Even skipping cutscenes is an input, and doing it quickly is arguably a skill just like navigating the shop and resetting quickly. In-level cutscenes allow some control, like at the beginning of level 1, or can be skipped entirely like at the beginning of OoB lv6. So what I'm proposing is to cut all and only frames where "loading" appears somewhere on the screen.

For simplicity and consistency with many other games, we could also consider moving the timer start to the instant of level selection (or lv1 reset) and just add a flat baseline to existing runs.
Edit history:
Akitaka1: 2016-07-02 05:02:50 am
Akitaka1: 2016-07-02 05:02:15 am
Quote from emlun:

Even skipping cutscenes is an input, and doing it quickly is arguably a skill just like navigating the shop and resetting quickly. In-level cutscenes allow some control, like at the beginning of level 1, or can be skipped entirely like at the beginning of OoB lv6. So what I'm proposing is to cut all and only frames where "loading" appears somewhere on the screen.

I completely agree about in level cutscenes, but from my understanding the game loads the next area during cutscenes that play after the score screen as well as during the "level transition" screen. As such, if you skip the cutscene within 2-5 seconds depending on the level, the cutscene could be considered to be part of the loading time.

The problem with this, however, is that the "are you sure that you want to skip this cutscene" screen pauses the loading (I think? Haven't tested it yet), giving the act of skipping cutscenes some degree of skill.

Imo we should keep loading times as they are, as the time loss from skipping cutscenes is practically negligible. I'm not sure what you guys mean by time lost at the  "uploading score" screen. Can't you just mash through it like any other screen in the results sequence?
Edit history:
emlun: 2016-07-02 06:19:40 am
Quote from Akitaka1:
I completely agree about in level cutscenes, but from my understanding the game loads the next area during cutscenes that play after the score screen as well as during the "level transition" screen. As such, if you skip the cutscene within 2-5 seconds depending on the level, the cutscene could be considered to be part of the loading time.

Ah, that could complicate things. Sounds like research is needed.

Quote from Akitaka1:
I'm not sure what you guys mean by time lost at the  "uploading score" screen. Can't you just mash through it like any other screen in the results sequence?

Maybe you can, but the game's been known to crash if you cancel it. It happened to me a few days ago when I canceled it after it had taken several seconds instead of the normal half second.

EDIT: Right here: https://secure.twitch.tv/emilun/v/75788639
Edit history:
Vyreck: 2016-07-02 12:51:12 pm
Vyreck: 2016-07-02 12:46:49 pm
Vyreck: 2016-07-02 12:46:21 pm
Yeah, Em's vid hits home pretty bad for me. I once had the next level start with that box still there, and it also crashed on clearing it. That's why I say just remove the whole score screen to prevent things like this.

And I get the "skipping cutscenes is active" but waiting on it to load in will very by rig. Just something that concerns me.

Edit: if we managed to separate the loadin part from the active part in a cutscene, that would be ideal.
Quote from Vyreck:
if we managed to separate the loadin part from the active part in a cutscene, that would be ideal.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm proposing. Smiley
Akitaka, you need to see this... https://secure.twitch.tv/emilun/v/75886402
Sorry. :>
Edit history:
Akitaka1: 2016-07-02 05:34:19 pm
Quote from emlun:
Akitaka, you need to see this... https://secure.twitch.tv/emilun/v/75886402
Sorry. :>

You've certainly gotten helipad skip down quickly. xD
Quote from Akitaka1:
You've certainly gotten helipad skip down quickly. xD

Well, I did give it quite a bunch of practice making the demo video Tongue
Indian Ocean bro!
We agree that the serenity storage isn't an OoB so Vyreck will do it tomorrow !
Quote from Fuzin:
We agree that the serenity storage isn't an OoB so Vyreck will do it tomorrow !

w00p w00p! Been looking forward to this run all week! Cheesy
Indian Ocean bro!
So he'll break WR Wink
Wohoo! Awesome! Cheesy
Indian Ocean bro!
emlun in your run you get an indirect kill, but it is still Obake?
We go by the score screens, so "accidents" like the one in level 10 don't count. Smiley
Edit history:
Vyreck: 2016-07-08 01:54:33 am
Had so much fun up on stage! Absolutely worth the trip and all the hard work getting here.  Thanks everyone for making that possible along the way.

Sorry I didn't do as clean of a category reveal as I'd hoped (how did I manage to miss 11 skip? Sad and I'm kinda bumbed out about dojo too) but it sounds like people really enjoyed it. That's all I really wanted anyway. People finally got the run they wanted. Smiley
It was a blast to watch, and your commentary was really good too. You can be proud of a job well done. Cheesy

Oh, and LIVE FIRST TRY FULL CONTROL? Seriously man, I lost it. Such swag! Cheesy And then the suspense when you went for checkpointless lv11 sniper. The courier incident was also nerve wracking to watch, and your backup was really impressive. And hey, nailing the lv6 double focus jump skip like it's nothing! There were a few hiccups, sure, but overall it was a really solid run.

So, when do I get to be obliterated in a race? Cheesy