Smiley
Sad
<- 1  -   of 32 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Think I might've found a minor time save on DV. So, you guys know how you can clip under the log on the third screen of DV if you time a kick right? Turns out, you can also clip on top of the log with what I think is a small delay after the kick that would throw you under it.
Quote from GregSiris:
Think I might've found a minor time save on DV. So, you guys know how you can clip under the log on the third screen of DV if you time a kick right? Turns out, you can also clip on top of the log with what I think is a small delay after the kick that would throw you under it.

been doing that since forever; stops you dead for a split second when you clip onto it, so make sure you get yourself moving for a sec before boosting or you'll miss the gap in the wall over the corkscrew.
Edit history:
Fladervy: 2015-03-27 06:06:47 am
Here's an improvement suggestion for FD1 as Carol.
Instead of leaving the bike behind at the end, run slower and have some trouble with the hallway, it may be faster to take damage intentionally and lose the bike in the hallway.
Some good places to take damage would be:
1: the last set of spikes;
2: the last set of bombs;
3: the last set of energy pillars (edit: or enemies).
Edit history:
Xinronyr: 2015-03-27 07:11:05 am
Apprentice Freedom Planet runner
Quote from Fladervy:
Here's an improvement suggestion for FD1 as Carol.
Instead of leaving the bike behind at the end, run slower and have some trouble with the hallway, it may be faster to take damage intentionally and lose the bike in the hallway.
Some good places to take damage would be:
1: the last set of spikes;
2: the last set of bombs;
3: the last set of energy pillars (edit: or enemies).

The bike can actually be kept until just before the boss, it would just require some really amazing timing to dismount the bike before the Syntax 2 fight

But yes, this is a potential speedup and thanks for reminding us Carol players =)
Edit history:
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 09:50:33 pm
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 11:46:55 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 11:43:10 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 11:32:52 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 10:12:46 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 10:12:22 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 10:11:26 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 09:38:20 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 09:21:27 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-27 09:19:43 am
Started picking up Jade Creek today. Just got a 5:24 with the first run through with the route. Learning it actually went by surprisingly quick. I think I want to at least cut 5 before moving on.

Edit: Well, that's never happened before. I did damage to Neera as she was putting on the shield and she did the usual attack where she throws ice everywhere with it on. That really threw me off. Now that's even worse; if you get her to do that, she'll throw another shield up without going through the attack for it.

Round 2 of weird things happening: I just saw one of those foot soldiers starts climbing up the way while he was trying to shoot Lilac and he came down when he started running. I guess he slightly clipped into the wall somehow? I was too shocked at what I was seeing to screenshot it.

Round 3 of odd things: So, you know how Serpentine goes up into his drop ship after you beat on him enough? I decided to do the brain damage climb wall climb, dragon boosted into him, and went into cyclone on the rebound. When I hit the ground, either the soldiers wandered off or I somehow managed to despawn them. I think he might've tried deploying some more of them, right as I killed him seeing as a body flew out of the ship. Oh and I manged to hit 4:35 JC with that run.

Been having no luck so far replicating that. I think I might have it. With that cyclone you have to stay up with it as long as possible and the soldiers will completely forget about Lilac and start wandering around. Yeah it seems to work, but they won't always wander off far enough to despawn nor necessarily off screen; however, it still means you don't have to worry about them until they take notice of Lilac again.
Just got sub 42 as Milla:
http://www.twitch.tv/fladervy/c/6416370

This run had a terrible Thermal Base, and one death to Mega Serpentine (by accidentaly reflecting the flamethrower embarassed), but 42 minutes is a great milestone.
My current sum of bests is 39:03, so there's a lot of time to save in future runs.
www.twitch.tv/ghoul02
Hey, so I started messing around with this game a bit, mainly ILs.

I'm terrible, but everybody starts somewhere... Mostly just Dragon Valley as Lilac (3:24 or so PB, I'll make a video that you guys can laugh at criticize), although I'd like to be okay with Milla as well.

I can't quite get Milla's tech to work though... How exactly does the Kamehameha boost work? I see what looks like a quick jump, turn fire and immediate turn back so that you don't fight the momentum. Is that it or am I missing something really easy with it?

Also, do you guys generally use controller or keyboard for it (I'm using a Wii Classic Controller)
I'm a scrub right now learning ILs on Carol, but I've always personally used a controller.
Edit history:
Xinronyr: 2015-03-29 02:42:39 am
Quote from Ghoul02:

Also, do you guys generally use controller or keyboard for it (I'm using a Wii Classic Controller)

I personally dislike using the keyboard and was looking around for a cheap controller with a good D-pad and good capabilities for both digital and analog games.

I purchase a Logitech F310 because it was only around $20 and from newegg the shipping wasn't very expensive. It basically acts like an XBox360 controller but has another mode as well, and I think the D-pad is slightly better...

...that being said, the D-pad still made my thumb sore over time and I switched to using the Analog stick. Although it makes some maneuvers a bit easier and is less strain on my thumb it does make actions slightly awkward and may take some time to get used to it, but I absolutely love this controller.

Mylexsi and Synn [when Synn still had a controller] use an XBox360 controller... well more specifically, Synn used the same controller I did. They're both very skilled speedrunners and I think they both use the analog.

Long story short, if you have a controller that makes it easy to use for a long period of time, especially when you are constantly button-mashing... definitely use it as I don't think anything else other than comfort and ease-of-use matters when it comes to inputs for FP. From what I understand, there's no specific advantage of kb over controller and vice-versa.

Quote from Crawf1sh:
I'm a scrub right now learning ILs on Carol, but I've always personally used a controller.

That makes the two of us. Which levels are you practicing? I gave you a follow on Twitch by the way =)
Edit history:
Crawf1sh: 2015-03-29 02:55:21 am
Quote from Xinronyr:
That makes the two of us. Which levels are you practicing? I gave you a follow on Twitch by the way =)

I'm still only on Dragon Valley right now and I'm just trying to build consistency. I want to know each level in and out before I do a real full run. Has there been anything discovered since Kligan's 3:06.49? Any mistakes or slower strats in the run that I need to be aware?
Edit history:
Xinronyr: 2015-03-29 05:03:51 am
Xinronyr: 2015-03-29 03:55:59 am
Xinronyr: 2015-03-29 03:52:48 am
Quote from Crawf1sh:
Quote from Xinronyr:

I'm still only on Dragon Valley right now and I'm just trying to build consistency. I want to know each level in and out before I do a real full run. Has there been anything discovered since Kligan's 3:06.49? Any mistakes or slower strats in the run that I need to be aware?

Carol's optimal DV has 4 cliffs that save a bit of time. Each jump is considered a point where you latch onto cliff-geometry from the underside in order to reach an objective point faster and/or with less risk.

The 1st cliff is in the 1st section of the stage and something you use to bypass the ladder just before you approach the ramp before the platforms that lead up to the higher platform with the bike of the route. This is probably the easiest cliff to deal with and Kligan's video kinda covers how to approach it so there's no point in me really discussing it in further detail.

The 2nd cliff is optional. In the 2nd section of the stage, it's the platform that holds the cube that Carol must push to progress through DV. It's optional because you could just deal with the two robots that shoot balls at you, but if you want to use this cliff then you can and I don't think it slows you down any but by the same token it may not speed you up much either. It's really up to you to take it, and there are some times when you won't latch on when you expect to because the platform just under the cliff moves slightly.

The 3rd cliff is in the 3rd section of the level near the beginning. It's the one Kligan takes, and learning the right spot to boost and then jump takes practice. Since Kligan takes this jump, I won't really go into further detail with it.

The 4th cliff is the hardest one to take and is something Kligan passes up. I'm not sure if he wasn't aware of it or simply didn't want to risk failing the jump since it is the hardest maneuver in the level to pull off. It's in the third section of the level as well and is under the platform where you hit the switch to cause the boulder to fall. The goal is to reach the cliff geometry just under the platform. You can do this by using the spring-board or the curved-ramp in the water just below it. If you understand the physics of Freedom Planet, using the ramp can be more consistent to gain height to the cliff but the spring-board (which may take 1-2 tries to boost high enough to the cliff) can also be used.

But that's the easy part of this speedup. The hard part is getting from the cliff to the platform to the right of the bridge that will be broken if you hit the switch. There are two ways to do it and I'll just call them the Reverse-direction way [used by Lunadash and possibly others?] or the Sweet-spot boost jump way [Ytxz uses this method].

The Reverse-direction method is extremely hard to pull off and may require a few tries to get correct. Basically, once you're on the cliff you ride up it as much as possible until you get stuck, then it looks like you double jump directly onto the underside of the platform with the monster and bridge on it and if your character changes directions you can simply ride along the ceiling until you reach the edge of the bridge, then wait until you're in a falling state before you double jump, then double jump onto the platform...

That's extremely complicated to try to picture so here's a link to the trick being executed - http://www.twitch.tv/lunadash/c/6273020

The Sweet-spot boost jump way is a bit more straightforward and could possibly be more consistent than trying to reverse the direction of the bike. You basically just boost-jump from the cliff to the platform on the right of the bridge that is bound to break. Here's a link to Ytxz executing this method  http://www.twitch.tv/ytxz/b/639591973  time 44:01-44:09. If you can consistently do this jump on the first try, you can save a lot of time (at least 5+ seconds?) as opposed to going around to get to the platform to hit the switch.

Edit: I'm only calling the 2nd method a Sweet-spot boost jump because if you boost-jump too soon then you won't have enough height to reach the side of the platform to the right of the bridge, and if you boost-jump too late you'll bonk onto the underside of the platform and won't make it to the side before you start to fall.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-29 04:46:09 am
Quote from Ghoul02:
Hey, so I started messing around with this game a bit, mainly ILs.

I'm terrible, but everybody starts somewhere... Mostly just Dragon Valley as Lilac (3:24 or so PB, I'll make a video that you guys can laugh at criticize), although I'd like to be okay with Milla as well.

I can't quite get Milla's tech to work though... How exactly does the Kamehameha boost work? I see what looks like a quick jump, turn fire and immediate turn back so that you don't fight the momentum. Is that it or am I missing something really easy with it?

hey, 3:24 is still better than most people. Keep it up.

For Milla's kamehameha jump, you also need to hold the jump button as you do it.
poof:

Also that video should answer the question of which controller I use ;P
Edit history:
lecorbak: 2015-03-29 06:57:08 am
lecorbak: 2015-03-29 06:56:54 am
lecorbak: 2015-03-29 06:48:02 am
lecorbak: 2015-03-29 06:17:33 am
lecorbak: 2015-03-29 06:14:44 am
lecorbak: 2015-03-29 06:14:08 am
Vanilla H is mai waifu
I don't know if it was found before, and I don't know if it could be useful but I found a glitch on trap hideout with milla at the very beginning.
there is a box at the beginning you can take with milla.
I don't know how I did that exactly, but by taking it, I was projected in the ceiling with the box in hands, and did an OoB.
unfortunately, while trying to advance while in the walls, I think I couldn't advance horizontally and I returned in the bounds of the stage. Sad
and I haven't recorded it. Sad
I think, what happens is that the box is going up (like if you didn't have it) while you still have it in hands, so you fly with the box.

here is a picture where I did the glitch :

it's even possible this glitch works in other stages with every boxes in the game.

EDIT : oh wait, I found someone who did the same as me on a video in another stage.
look at 3:29
Are the geysers in DV on a universal timer?
Quote from Crawf1sh:
Are the geysers in DV on a universal timer?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are. I think it's somewhere around every 3 seconds or something.
Meteor Swarm
Seriously i don't get at all how you get so much speed in this part......
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-30 03:29:45 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-30 03:28:43 am
Skip to 19:40
(And here are my visual cues)

Also yeah I did a run with controller inputs on screen. So if there's anything in future you're not sure how to do, check that; should help =)
It's far from a perfect run but meh.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-03-30 06:56:28 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-30 06:55:44 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-30 06:55:34 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-30 03:39:48 am
Mylexsi: 2015-03-30 03:37:27 am
Oh, something interesting came out of that chat with Strife last night;

All of Carol's damage is modified("slightly") by her speed; The faster she's going when she attacks, the more damage her attacks will do. He mentioned that specifically in regards to her Roll too, so there may be an increased effect on that.
The same goes for Lilac's Dragon Boost.
As an additional note, speed is measured from 0 to 15(didn't mention if that was any kind of unit), and Dragon Boost puts you at 12 or 13(i forget which, but 12 seems more likely)

We actually got a whole list of damage values out of him too, but i didn't write them down because race. I think Beau did, though.

Also, the c++ port directly ported the physics over, so they should be unchanged when that happens.
And he has no plans to fix any of the zips we use.
Edit history:
Xinronyr: 2015-03-30 03:43:21 am
Quote from Mylexsi:
Oh, something interesting came out of that chat with Strife last night;

All of Carol's damage is modified("slightly") by her speed; The faster she's going when she attacks, the more damage her attacks will do. He mentioned that specifically in regards to her Roll too, so there may be an increased effect on that.
The same goes for Lilac's Dragon Boost.

We actually got a whole list of damage values out of him too, but i didn't write them down because race. I think Beau did, though.

I'm thinking that Pounce -> Wild Claw is always going to do more damage then simply doing an in-place roll Wild Claw... however if Carol is at top speed then Roll -> Wild Claw might be better.

Beau = Streetwise? I think several people were writing down the values. I thought the recording would be available to the participants of the event so I didn't bother writing anything down. I guess some editing still has to be done to protect Strife's image since he was pretty much 100% honest with us and there may have been some things said that he felt pressured to answer.
There were definitely things that should be cut out, but...basically I have no video editing software(and a 10-ish hour i-dont-even-want-to-know-how-big file). Someone should be working on editing it and stuff, but as far as i can tell it's that one who who was the loudest and american-est.
Quote from Mylexsi:
There were definitely things that should be cut out, but...basically I have no video editing software(and a 10-ish hour i-dont-even-want-to-know-how-big file). Someone should be working on editing it and stuff, but as far as i can tell it's that one who who was the loudest and american-est.

Uh, yeah... 10 hours of video would take so long to crop. There is free software to edit video files but it can be annoying, and then recompressing it and uploading to youtube would take... forever to say the least XD

This is why whenever I do offstream recordings at higher quality I always limit the files to 15 minutes per snip, but I definitely understand that you couldn't do that considering the nature of the event [a race].
Edit history:
GregSiris: 2015-03-30 08:17:24 am
GregSiris: 2015-03-30 08:00:00 am
Quote from Mylexsi:

Someone transcribed them right here. I just realized we should've asked about how exactly clanking works. Oh yeah, this was that thing that happened during the first race yesterday.
Quote from GregSiris:
Quote from Mylexsi:

Someone transcribed them right here. I just realized we should've asked about how exactly clanking works. Oh yeah, this was that thing that happened during the first race yesterday.

Strife said neutrals and Wild kick did 3 damage for Carol last night, so either the information from that is slightly outdated or incorrect (??)
Quote from Xinronyr:

Strife said neutrals and Wild kick did 3 damage for Carol last night, so either the information from that is slightly outdated or incorrect (??)

I'd rather not sit through that stream a second time; watching it live the first time was enough for me.
Edit history:
Crawf1sh: 2015-04-01 01:49:51 am

Found this last night. Not sure if this is new at all, and even if it is, whether it would even affect the route.