--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-10 01:56:24 am
Hey. Hey Kligan.

PS - new strat for 2nd submarine screen(i.e. after the screen transition after Neera); Great because it's faster to begin with and independent of the water cycle.
Quote from Mylexsi:
Hey. Hey Kligan.

Well, darn!
That was a great run though, gratz! Smiley
It seems so mucn easier for Lilac to get a perfect Neera fight. Or atleast you make it look easy enough.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-10 01:57:31 am
Not really :|
One slight mistake and she gets her shield, and I have to hit on the way up, in mid-air, and on the way down. Can't miss, can't mis-time cyclone, can't land on randomly-thrown ice that she might also be landing in the middle of... -.-
Neera is such a pain that one of the reasons I get the metal shield in SB is so I can take it across levels all the way to her.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-02-10 02:39:23 am
Kligan: 2015-02-10 02:38:59 am
Quote from Mylexsi:
Not really :|
One slight mistake and she gets her shield, and I have to hit on the way up, in mid-air, and on the way down. Can't miss, can't mis-time cyclone, can't land on randomly-thrown ice that she might also be landing in the middle of... -.-
Neera is such a pain that one of the reasons I get the metal shield in SB is so I can take it across levels all the way to her.

I feel ya! Neera is one of the hardest bosses to do a perfect fight with so far for me.
You made me to invent new strats that utilize a new Carol trick I discovered when I was doing JC. It allows to save a bunch of seconds. Now I "only" need to do a perfect Neera fight and Serpentine fight and I probably can beat your time again Wink

Also, I had to buy a new controller today... Mine dropped from the table on a floor and from all the top buttons (LT, LB, RT, RB) that i don't use, it fell on LB - the one and only of them I use to mash the attack.
Hah, so, on a related subject, funfact about my controller:
You know sometimes when you go across screen transitions and if you just hold flat right it seems to forget you're pressing anything?
Well, I waggle the stick up and down to avoid it; the game's registering up-right, right, down-right inputs - as new inputs - very rapidly so i never get stuck standing still for a moment.
Thing is, I've done this so much I'm starting to actually wear a groove into the side of the analogue stick as it rubs against the controller.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-02-10 05:18:43 am
Kligan: 2015-02-10 05:11:09 am
Kligan: 2015-02-10 04:55:25 am
Kligan: 2015-02-10 04:46:49 am
Kligan: 2015-02-10 03:38:02 am
Kligan: 2015-02-10 03:23:09 am
I never had this problem mostly because I just hold X to instantly boost when I get control over Carol after the screen transition.
I just made 3:55 again. Hold on, Mylexsi! I'm coming for your time! Cheesy
New technique I discovered helps to save alot of time actually. I got 3:55 even when i missed TWO phase skips on Neera and I had pretty bad submarine part.
I called it boost-jump. Yeah, i know, really original. What it does is - it is frame-perfect boost+jump combo that allows Carol to preserve ALL the initial boost momentum into her jumps.
I didn't realize at the time that I discovered it until I uploaded my 3:55 video and SynnChrist tried to replicate my upper route on the first screen. He couldn't get enough momentum to do the same jumps as I did. And when I tried to help him with that we found out that I unintentionally invented a new move and didn't even thought of that.

Edit: 3:53.. I'm coming for you, Mylexsi! Cheesy Cheesy
Edit2: 3:52! Almost there!

Edit3: 3:45! HOLY F....! O_O

I tried to utilize the new technique whenever It is reasonable. Combined with edge-boosting, you can see the results.
It may seems like I just randombly spam boost everywhere, but actually I preserve maximum speed on slopes and when jump-boosting. Also I need to keep my energy bar empty most of the time so that I won't do kicks attack when i do edge-boost.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-10 06:46:03 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-10 06:44:44 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-10 06:40:03 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-10 06:38:18 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-10 06:37:47 am
pfffff.....holy shit dude.
I might be able to match that time at a stretch, but it'd have to be a perfect run and I doubt I can pull that off in any reasonable time-frame

Still though, shit....grats!

Unrelated: Hey look I made a thing! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GXWxdfVSM-M33OT6vmU0nroZjvOGxnIuMgVqGY5YUdk/edit?usp=sharing
Auto-calculates my Sum of Best Splits, average time on each stage(& average single-segment time), and how far off my averages  are from what they should be. Really useful for figuring out where I need practice the most.
Took far longer than it should have because I had to manually teach GoogleDocs how to add/subtract/divide times ¬_¬
There's far too much dark red on the 'difference' column....meaning them numbers are too big. Will fix when i get home from work :Y
(Also, I'm not sure whether it's the game or my scripts that are wrong, but I'm noticing a 0.03 to 0.07s discrepancy between the in-game time total and the spreadsheet time total.)
With all the new stuff being found it's probably for the best that I haven't had time to get back to runs.  Just keep collecting strats/ideas and I'll piece it all together when ready. Tongue
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-11 07:44:39 am
No! Do runs! This is a race to sub-43:00 whether you like it or not ;P

Besides, I think I'm prettymuch done with new strats n stuff. I've scoured every corner of the internet, run it all side-by-side with other strats, combined the fastest stuff, and sat there just thinking about things too, jotting everything down in a notepad file as i go, and that file is now all but empty.
"All the new stuff being found" was basically me just actually going through that file and testing everything.
You know I've been running this game since the alpha stages in February 2013.  I developed strats, optimized, developed more, optimized those, then obsolesced them again.  Never assume everything to be discovered has been found.  Sonic 3 & Knuckles has been scrutinized for 10+ years and people are still finding things in that game.  My current WR has a 20-second time saver that is only half a year old!  That's an eternity for a game from 1994.

No but seriously I actually just stumbled upon a big piece of news (like right after my previous post), but I'm not allowed to disclose it because of the NDA.  I will say this, however, there is a strong possibility that the speed run will be highly affected by it.  So as painful as this might be to some of y'all, I highly suggest putting your runs on hold for now, including ILs.

Works out for me anyway since I have several other projects to work on before getting back into the game.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-11 08:49:17 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-11 08:48:55 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-11 08:48:49 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-11 08:30:35 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-11 08:28:05 am
Fair point, but also a good reason that it shouldn't stop you running.

And in regards to whatever's coming up, i'm not gonna stop running for basically anything; It's fun even if my time winds up being meaningless.
Also, I know how far NDAs can stretch, but I reckon you should be able to answer this: On what sort of scope is the thing? I s'pose you couldn't answer if it's character/mechanic/code-structure/whatever specifically, but small/medium/big/huge should work.
Edit history:
GregSiris: 2015-02-11 07:16:01 pm
Something that will highly effect running the game? Sounds pretty exciting to me.

EDIT: I have theory that I've been thinking about on what kind of change would highly effect runs to the point of suggesting to even stop ILs. My guess it that it's some kind of physics change.
My guess is it's them re-coding the game in C++, since I know that's a thing they want to do and it perfectly fits the bill of "strong possibility that the speed run will be highly affected by it", since it would likely affect the way collision detection and maybe the physics work.
That sounds like a pretty good theory to me. Makes me wonder what might happen to zips in the future.
Meteor Swarm
any trick for sb boss ?.. i just can't stand boss at all...
Best I can say is make sure you come out of  the Earth ship with a metal shield and he's pretty much free as long as you dodge his dive attacks. Metal shield will make you immune to all of his other attacks. There's like two metal crystals on the earth ship, one in the beginning and one near the end.
Quote from Rezard:
any trick for sb boss ?.. i just can't stand boss at all...

p1: uppercut -> divekick. Should take out 7-8 tail feathers if done properly

p2: Stand on left edge of left-most boat missile, facing right. Kick twice as he swoops past you(5-6 feathers gone), run left off the missile, and keep kicking. Aim to take out the 2 right-most feathers before he swoops right again. If done correctly you'll actually take them all out and boot the head before he swoops right, but you can't rely on that.
You aim specifically for those two because his flight pattern after this point is gonna have them hidden behind boatmissiles most of the time, so if you don't get them now they'll be a pain in the arse later.

p3: jump + kick before he charges lightning. Go to his right, and uppercut-divekick just as the attack is ending. Make it up as you go from there.

p4 and 5: Same as p2.

Doing this you can generally knock him into the next phase just as - or even before - he manages to do any attacks whatsoever(except the mandatory lightning in p3). Takes some practice to get down, though.

Also, in general, cyclone is great if there's only 1 or 2 feathers left, since it hits a large overall area than a kick it's good for hitting the last feathers and his head at the same time.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-16 06:42:32 am
YES! HELL FUCKING YES! I DID IT!
42:37.99!

http://www.twitch.tv/mylexsi/c/6116795

edit: youtube finally accepted it.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-02-16 11:55:39 am
Kligan: 2015-02-16 11:55:35 am
Kligan: 2015-02-16 11:54:15 am
I thought I'm ready to move to next levels, but with all those new techniques we discovered for Carol recently I'm improving my current times substantially.
Here's another example.

Almost came close to Lilac's time... But you may sleep tight, Mylexsi. I officially declare that with current Carol routing FN is impossible to beat faster than maybe 4:10 with perfect run. Smiley
Viking it up
I know the leaderboard submissions have backed up a little... I'm having some health issues right now and yesterday I mostly slept, today was useless due to nausea and weakness.  Going to see my urologist on Thursday.
Quote from johannhowitzer:
I know the leaderboard submissions have backed up a little... I'm having some health issues right now and yesterday I mostly slept, today was useless due to nausea and weakness.  Going to see my urologist on Thursday.

No worries! Keep yourself in a good health - that's the most important thing.
Yeah, pretty much what Kligan said. Gotta help yourself first.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-02-17 05:43:01 am
I doubt anyone here will be interested in Trap Hideout since there are literally no Carol runners on this thread... But I can say the same about all my previous runs. So, whatever Cheesy

That was not-so-great run, but that's my first decent time for this level. And I found coule skips that nobody seems to be using. I haven't seen them atleast.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-02-17 06:17:20 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-17 06:16:57 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-17 06:16:47 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-17 06:13:43 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-17 06:07:30 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-17 06:00:14 am
Mylexsi: 2015-02-17 05:57:58 am
Kligan: If you find a faster strat for the boss you can definitely beat FN faster.
Good Lilac splits for FN are:
- End of 1st screen - 0:43
- End of 2nd screen - 1:16
- Into Mall - 2:00
- 2nd Mall screen - 2:30
- Start of boss fight - ....er....i forget. I don't actually track my time for here. I should, though.
(On the other hand, I know I can hit at least 3:54, since I've had 4:01 with a 2:07 mall entrance)
Still, point is you're beating those times to those areas, and it's almost certainly just the boss that's bringing it down.
EDIT: Actually, We don't have to guess where the time is lost. Here. (note: Pause the Carol run while Lilac's being chased by Serpentine; The timer stops during that cutscene.)
I gain some time during the 2nd mall screen but then lose it again. Funnily enough, we get to the boss at the exact same time.

And, PS - It's really weird to hear serpentine shout 'furball' instead of 'squidhead'

Also, I'm more interested in the Trap Hideout one than any other since...well, i haven't really seen a speedrun of that level before ;P
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-02-17 06:54:49 am
Mylexsi, you see, the problem is - Carol has really hard time hitting Robopanther when it's going up. It's a big damage loss during the fight. And there's little I can do to prevent that.

Edit: I could try to manage my energy so that when boss is going up I can hit him with kicks better, idk.