<- 1  -   of 32 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Viking it up
But the upper route is more fun!

Are you talking about the cycle I hit in the highlight video, or one earlier?  Because one cycle earlier than me would require saving like 4-5 seconds, and I don't even know where you would be able to catch that kind of miracle tailwind.  There are too many bottleneck obstacles - the opening roof slopes, the drawbridge, the wall in front of the divekick...

If you can do it again, I REALLY want to see.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-20 07:50:18 am
Kligan: 2015-01-20 05:01:25 am
Kligan: 2015-01-19 07:58:50 pm
Kligan: 2015-01-19 07:57:51 pm
Kligan: 2015-01-19 07:57:39 pm
Kligan: 2015-01-19 07:56:43 pm
Kligan: 2015-01-19 07:54:52 pm
Kligan: 2015-01-19 07:54:36 pm
Do we have any idea what defines the patterns of the serpent boss during the first encounter in DV? I'm trying a new route (getting some paths from Lunadash's run to mix with mine... i feel kinda stupid for not seeing those obvious shortcuts myself). With my previous route the boss always jumps either into second hole (from the right) after his first jump, or into the third . Now its going to second hole (from the left) almost all the time, which is taking away a whole second or more because the boss has to travel further to break the wall for the next section of the level. It's kinda frustrating.

Edit: It seems like his pattern is random... but at the same time the boss consistently jumps into the same hole most of the time. As i've mentioned earlier, on my previous route the hole he jumped in was closer to the wall that will be broken once the boss is defeated. Now the serpent jumps to the farthest hole almost all the time.
I've done my new DV route in 3:31.6. I've got insanely lucky with  where the serpent went this time.

Edit2: DV 3:22. That bossfight was disgusting... Lost so much time.
I've noticed kinda the same thing. I think(but am almost completely UNcertain) that he moves 1 hole to the left per remaining hp on his shells. At least, there've been many times where he got away with 1hp left on 1 remaining shell, and he moved to just the next hole over.

johann: Whatever cycle it is that means that when i accidentally jump over the shield(tried to cyclone 1 frame too late), land near the springs over the drawbridge, run all the way back, miss the shield once with the kick, finally get it, and then go up, it's 23.8 at the stop sign.
Viking it up
I'd like to see a leaderboard form for this game, a la deertier.com.

Thinking top 100 IL records for each stage by character, then full runs for each character on each difficulty.  Runs, even ILs, would be validated before times posted.  For ILs, obviously use ingame time, not sure whether ingame or real time is better for full runs.  If people are interested in this being made, I'll talk to my brother and see if I can learn enough to make it happen myself.  Validation would be by a core group of trusted community members, which would expand as necessary.

The reason I'm interested in doing this is that leaderboards spark competition, and that can only be good for the game and the community.  More people will pick this game up, I think, if they have a way to say "I just reached the top 50/20/10/whatever" or "I just passed so-and-so's IL run for Battle Glacier."  That kind of progress metric can be a huge motivator for new players and veterans alike.  It's worked well for Super Metroid, it should work well for Freedom Planet.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-21 02:08:07 am
I'm completely up for that. Actually one of the first things I did when I got here was go looking for a leaderboard. It's not just useful as competition or  progress metric but also as a quick determination when you start out of what kind of ballpark you should be aiming for with your times, and if everyone's like 20s ahead of you it's an immediate indication that there's probably some trick you don't know about, and the video links make finding out about them nice and easy.
Bit dubious about being able to get 100 people per category, mind. A lot of empty space makes for a dead-looking scene.
Still...overall, it's an awesome idea. Do eet.
I can't say for sure, but i've heard that devs are planning to add leaderboards with patches. They wanted to make it in the first place but for some reason leaderboards wasn't included in the game.
Viking it up
I've heard rumors about that as well, but there are two excellent reasons to make our own leaderboard.

1) Cheating.  Leaderboards have always been hotbeds of hackers, and unless Galaxy Trail does a really good job of making it ironclad against fraud, video validation is the way to go, and that's something we'll have to do ourselves.

2) Ingame time would certainly be used in an official, dev-driven leaderboard, and I'm sure we're all familiar with the issues FP has with ingame time: the autoscroll, pausing, save files allowing infinite retries in each stage essentially creating a "segmented" environment...

So if they want to do leaderboards, more power to them, but I just can't see such a leaderboard being useful for our purposes.  Top 100 was just a generous "don't want to leave people with bad times off the bottom" estimate - would probably start like top 20 or something, and expand as necessary.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-22 12:17:21 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-22 12:16:57 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-21 05:00:43 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-21 04:54:42 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-21 04:52:10 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-21 04:50:55 pm
/shrug. No reason not to do both.

So. Finally got off my arse and started practicing again. Got around to Thermal Base.

Stuff to note:
- Alternate zip method on the first screen. About 10s faster on the first try. It's harder, but even if you screw it up 3 times, you'll still be on even time with the other method. You can do it with both the high and low barrels, but they both require different timing. A little finnickey, but my best guess is you want to start zipping through it just as/before it finished coming down out of the ceiling. And make sure Lilac is completely inside the barrel(but only just) or you'll pop out the side. I use the blue-ish line on the wall next to the window as a marker.
EDIT: There's a way of doing the old method faster(uppercut into the fire & damage boost onto the alcove in the barrel, rather than getting the shield). This method is still 2-3 seconds faster than that.

- Keycard mini-miniboss; killing it with an up-left boost lets you leave a lot faster. Make sure you jump off the slope near the left side so you don't slam into the springs. Normally you land a bit further on than I did there; shouldn't fall onto the piston/platform thing.

- I once got inside one of the little cubby-holes the mooks come out of on the lift at the end. I just clipped back onto the lift and i could never replicate it, but i'm not gonna discount the possibility of an elevator-skip via zipping up the wall.

- Syntax miniboss: I messed up the first phase a bit, tbh. Wanna stick inside it with those divekicks the whole way. You can knock that phase out even before it unloads the lava from the left side.

- The pause later on was just because I was considering a restart.
Viking it up
Can you say sub 3 dragon valley?  Because I can.  And just got said time on aforementioned stage.  WOOOOOOOOOO
I don't have this game yet, but I want it, and if once I get the money there were leaderboards...  yeah, I'd almost certainly join the fray, because this game looks fun as hell.
Quote from johannhowitzer:
Can you say sub 3 dragon valley?  Because I can.  And just got said time on aforementioned stage.  WOOOOOOOOOO

grats! Cheesy

Quote from AlecK47:
I don't have this game yet, but I want it, and if once I get the money there were leaderboards...  yeah, I'd almost certainly join the fray, because this game looks fun as hell.

iirc it's on sale on gog right now. Can't check because webfilter at work, but here
Fortune Night 4:36

I hate those damn paper dragons. They are so troll! Angry
On the bright side - getting pretty consistent time on FN. Usually around 4:40

The level that gives me nightmares though is Relic Maze... No, literally - i had a nightmare tonight that someone's life depended on it and I couldn't make a decent run. Each time I'm going to practice new levels i want to make a run on those i already mastered to keep fresh memory... And each time i'm getting stuck on RM for an hour atleast practicing.
So easy to fail some trick and it will mess up timings on the next part and will result to even more lost time. RM is like snowball of failing. Fail once, fail everything else.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-22 06:11:01 am
Lookin' good.
And dont worry about RM. I felt the same way about SB tbh. Still not fond of it but i've gotten used to it. Keep practicin' and you'll have no more trouble than anywhere else.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-22 01:58:59 pm
Can someone please explain how the Holo-dragon quick-kill works?
I've scoured every resource I can think of, and the best i got was someone saying that they "keep a part of the dragon off-screen"
I can mimic what I see as close as i can and it might work sometimes, but i'll be able to do it a lot better if i actually understand what the hell it is I'm doing.
Viking it up
- Improved DV to 2:56.72, got sub 3 four times tonight and didn't even spend much time on DV.  Getting better at miniboss, maybe 40-50% of the time I one cycle now, and I've gotten the boss first phase half cycle quite a few times.  Cheesy
- Also improved RM to 4:15.74.  Very clean Mantalith fight, despite no phase skip - still haven't learned that, and I'm thinking it's not a critical thing to know.  Still need to get a little better on my boost placement at the start of each phase, I'm missing low sometimes.
- Solidified first two screens of FN, can leave first screen at :44-:46 consistently, and second at 1:21-1:26 consistently.

My fingers are developing callouses finally, taking longer for them to start hurting.

I found a very small improvement in RM during the start of the yellow section, wondering if you already know about it.  When you enter the yellow door, then take the first hang bar down, when you drop off the second hang bar onto the steps, if you do it fast enough, you can get onto the second step instead of the first.  Running off the second step causes you to catch a lot of speed hitting that little downslope.  Inconsistent for me so far, but not super hard to do, and as long as you only miss late, it won't cost you time.  Missing early would cost over a second.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-01-23 12:43:50 am
Rezard: 2015-01-22 11:18:34 pm
Rezard: 2015-01-22 11:11:10 pm
Meteor Swarm
I just ran into a dafuq useless glitch for mantalith... He jumped down w/o is arm back , But i couln't hit is head. he did is annoying jump motion and his claw magicaly poped back..
I won't aim for crazy time on this game. Since there's no way to train a part like you want (especialy at the end of a long level , such as glacier boss or just a small portion of a level). Atm i can do the game all the time almost in 57-58 minutes. If i can go down to 50 it will be perfect. Not gona put in insane work like i did for vp2 or ecco>
improved thermal by 40 second, find a mark for the first skip , but i don't get at all of i can get my full speed after a dive kick so i'm loosing a lot of time before the box room. And did 10 sec improve on relic , i don't like running that much this level.

I don't know how it work but you can hit the glacier boss 4 time before the fight start (2 time is shield, 1 time dail + 1 time is shield) but you won't get any impact effect on the second shield hit. When the battle start if the trick worked only one hit will remove is shield instead of two. I ran into this only two time atm.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-23 01:58:54 am
Mylexsi: 2015-01-23 01:58:50 am
Mylexsi: 2015-01-23 01:58:48 am
Quote from Rezard:
Since there's no way to train a part like you want (especialy at the end of a long level , such as glacier boss or just a small portion of a level).

pause -> restart. Puts you to the last checkpoint with -1 life. Get a game-over if you're out of lives, it has the same effect.

Quote:
but i don't get at all of i can get my full speed after a dive kick so i'm loosing a lot of time before the box room.

I can't figure out what this is supposed to say >.>
Something about not being able to keep full speed out of a divekick? Just hold down-right to start and press the jump & attack buttons like, 1 frame apart from eachother.

Also Holo-dragon. pls holo-dragon quick-kill.
I have Pangu Lagoon itself pretty consistent. The boss is raping my times, though.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-23 06:40:01 am
Kligan: 2015-01-23 05:28:31 am
For any Carol runners who might check this thread.
I found the way to execute that insane trick-jump at DV much more reliable. It's not as fast as the other method, but that way I can make it 8 times out of 10.
Here are the instructions:
http://i.imgur.com/WaASnNV.png

Video example:

Edit:
Improved alot of small things in my strat for DV. My new PB is 3:17. Gettin around 3:20 pretty consistently.
Viking it up
4:13.32 Relic Maze just now... was getting some brief practice in before driving to work, and randomly got a new IL PB.  The stage was above average, but the Mantalith fight was PERFECT except for no phase skips.  All my boosts tore off at least one of his arms and critically damaged the other, and I was able to get the other immediately with a single whip attack, and correctly anticipated where his head would be right after, getting only one swipe to end each phase.  Could not possibly have been cleaner or faster.  Wish I had video.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-23 06:31:40 am
Kligan: 2015-01-23 06:31:24 am
Kligan: 2015-01-23 06:29:55 am
Kligan: 2015-01-23 06:29:40 am
I'm getting pretty consistent with Montalith fight as well. Although he can troll me sometimes by lowering his head and before i could damage it even once he jumps away like "Trololo!"
Now my primary concern is Robopanther. I'm not getting consistent enough times on this boss. He changes pattern depending how much damage was done to him. As a human - i'm not perfect, i can't deal the same ammount of damage each time. So it all gets down to how good I am at adapting to boss' moves. On one of my IL FN runs today he shot autocannon twice, then started to shoot lazer cannon... and then he went to a phase when his head is at the top of the screen. He skipped the move when Serpentine shoots into the air, he skipped the move when he shoots rockets... What the hell was that? I was surprised, but fortunatelly still managed to get a decent kill, lost 4 seconds though.
Quote from Kligan:
I'm getting pretty consistent with Montalith fight as well. Although he can troll me sometimes by lowering his head and before i could damage it even once he jumps away like "Trololo!"

Happens when you knock his arms off while he's trying to jump around and fling shockwaves at you; He always completes his total number of intended jumps(2 in p3, 3 in p4 & p5), even if you interrupt it by knocking his arms off.
This...also happens to be the method I use to get the phase-skip; Make sure he'll jump with head lowered by doing this, damage him into the next phase just as he begins to jump. Boom. Phase-skip.

Quote:
Now my primary concern is Robopanther. I'm not getting consistent enough times on this boss. He changes pattern depending how much damage was done to him. As a human - i'm not perfect, i can't deal the same ammount of damage each time. So it all gets down to how good I am at adapting to boss' moves. On one of my IL FN runs today he shot autocannon twice, then started to shoot lazer cannon... and then he went to a phase when his head is at the top of the screen. He skipped the move when Serpentine shoots into the air, he skipped the move when he shoots rockets... What the hell was that? I was surprised, but fortunatelly still managed to get a decent kill, lost 4 seconds though.

Robopanther's NORMAL pattern(in my experience):
2-3 autocannons
Special (laser sweep or bullet rain)
2-3 autocannons
Special(whichever one he didn't use last time)
2-3 autocannons
Missiles

Once you damage the core 3 times, the whole "those who cross brevon must die" thing replaces "Missiles". Also, on the third damage, he immediately jumps to that point in the rotation as soon as he can.
There has been exactly one time I've seen him deviate from this, where he autocannon'd 4 times, laser sweeped, then bullet rain'd straight after. I don't know what caused it.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-23 02:53:19 pm
New PB for RM - 5:08. That's with couple noticeable mistakes. Killing Montalith faster now.
That makes it two PB's in one day.. I call it a good day! Cheesy
I re-bound standard attack to left bumper. Helps attacking faster, but sometimes I'm derping pretty hard now - not forgetting where the attack button is, but completely "shutting down" for a moment. Somehow changing one button messes up with my muscle memory pretty hard. That's curious Smiley
Viking it up
I don't think Mantalith phase skip saves any significant amount of time over what I did this morning.  Took me 4 seconds to get his arms off, another second to end the phase, and 4 seconds or so for him to return to where I could hit his arms.  Phase skip would only save some of those initial 4 seconds, which unless you could find a setup that requires zero time, means the phase skip will probably break even.  Maybe it would save a second or two, but the added difficulty and potential inconsistency doesn't sound worth it.

I'm very open to being proven wrong, though.  Would love to see a Mantalith fight video that saves time over getting perfect phases.  Smiley
Meteor Swarm
I don't get mantalith here.
http://www.twitch.tv/rezard/c/5950589

Also managed to pull the trick on dail glacier. Now i wonder if i can remove is shield a second time before the fight start or even hit him two time, but for that i highly doubt.
http://www.twitch.tv/rezard/c/5950605
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-23 11:35:30 pm
Quote from Rezard:
I don't get mantalith here.
http://www.twitch.tv/rezard/c/5950589

I told ya that boss is a damn troll Cheesy