Sad
<- 1  -   of 32 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Meteor Swarm
found a big time saver shortcut on fortune night 2.

I know the spring strats, i used it before. I don't like it at all.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-15 05:56:31 am
Mm, yeah, i intentionally miss it in that particular place because the boost meter filling up is a perfect cue for the optimal place to use it next. Still, if we can get a free boost somewhere else then it's worth.

And yeah I know that FN strat. Pain in the arse to get all the way up when travelling at speed down the previous elevator, but definitely a time saver and worth getting used to.
There's also an optimised strat there to ground-boost up-left and bounce off the side of the spring platform halfway up, but it's finnicky as all hell.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-01-15 05:56:30 am
Meteor Swarm
I think the optimal place to boost after the ant in dv is right at the second brige pillar or whatever object is.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-15 06:00:41 am
Mylexsi: 2015-01-15 05:58:00 am
Anywhere that gets you 2 health petals(=crystals=more boost meter=not having to wait on the button) when you kick back down. I just boost as soon as the meter's filled again.
Viking it up
The best place to boost is as early as possible, as the following divekicks will allow you to keep your speed, and speeding up earlier rather than later will be faster.
Viking it up
4:48.06 Relic Maze.  A little routing to clean up and consistency, but I'm reading Mantalith's moves a lot better now.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-20 07:27:44 am
Kligan: 2015-01-20 07:27:08 am
Kligan: 2015-01-20 07:26:48 am
Kligan: 2015-01-20 07:26:09 am
Kligan: 2015-01-18 09:19:44 am
Kligan: 2015-01-17 07:06:12 pm
Hi there! Smiley
I'm currently trying to speedrun Freedom Planet levels with Carol, my goal is to make a full classic mode run with her.
I'm new to speedrunning (in fact, never ever considered doing it before) so have mercy on me! Cheesy ..And also any tips or advices would be welcomed.

So far got my times for Dragon Valley and Relic Maze, will be moving to next levels now.

Here are my runs:
Dragon Valley (edited: this run is outdated, got much better time now)

Relic Maze. There's a room for improvement. Mostly in Mantis fight department. Missed some hits on his arms, lost precious seconds.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-18 03:36:25 am
Hey, welcome. Kinda cool to see someone running one of the other characters ;P
That said, I only run Lilac, so I'mma have a fair bit of trouble helping you with Carol's routing/etc. There is some stuff on Relic Maze you can do with any character to save quite a lot of time, though:

- Whenyou first get into the yellow switch area, after you grab the first switch that moves the platforms, just grab it again and drop off(down+jump). You can make it into the moving platforms before they go down, so you go down with them, and it saves you going all the way around to the right.

- When you come back up, do the same thing but from the right, and try to make one of the platforms hit you on the head. you'll clip through it and wind up zipping to the purple area(where you come in means you dont have to press any switches, too.) (to everyone else: yes, you CAN do this with anyone; You only need a well-timed jump; Cyclone just makes it easier.)

- After killing the block thing in the purple area, pause/restart. The coloured blocks stay removed, but you get warped to where the barriers were.

Or just watch from 0:25 on this, because my explanations suck.

Also aren't there any motocycle pickups in relic maze? I find it kinda weird that you didn't get any...especially if you can get under the truck's claw-arm miniboss with it?

That's....honestly as much help as I can be.
I think HDL's done routing for Carol, so he might be able to be more help.

Anyways, again, welcomes. Have fun Smiley
That's a nice tip, thanks! I'll try it out!
And if there is a motorbike in Relic Maze, I'm not aware of it.
Viking it up
Lunadash and Synnchrist on Twitch both run Carol, you should check out their channels.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-18 09:37:09 am
Kligan: 2015-01-18 09:32:05 am
Kligan: 2015-01-18 09:30:48 am
Thanks, johannhowitzer. I will check them out!

I've updated my Relic Maze run in my previous post - this time with the zip skip.

At first i coulnd't make it with Carol, so I went to check what makes it possible with Lilac. Turns out - it's the cyclone. When Lilac uses cyclone her sprite clips throught moving walls and the zip is possible.
So how to make it with Carol? I found out that I can do a walljump on the right spot of the moving wall so that Carol's sprite will clip through it and that makes the zip possible.

P.S. You know what, I just figured out - why the hell i was pushing that button in the purple section lol Cheesy Old habits die hard i guess... I could just go without it. Welp, atleast now I noticed.
Viking it up
- Failed several possible sub 3 DVs tonight, consistently getting under 3:10.
- Figured out a few more things about RM and got 3:26 4:26.  Mantalith is a lot easier... again.
- Learned up to the first appearance of Serpentine's laser ship in FN, consistently reaching the stop sign in that area around :22-:26.  Made a minor improvement over what I saw in HDL's and Mylexsi's videos.  Right after the first drawbridge goes back down and you divekick down to where the first rotating platforms are, instead of immediately boosting up to the right, jump to a reference point and boost from there, with that you can get a dive onto the leading slope of the roof up there.  Probably saves a second or so, since that's normally a stretch you have to cross at a crawl.  Comparing my time versus HDL's and Mylexsi's at the stop sign, that would appear to be accurate - I was getting :22.20 or so and both videos showed around a :23.40.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-19 05:57:21 am
Quote from johannhowitzer:
- Figured out a few more things about RM and got 3:26.  Mantalith is a lot easier... again.

3:26 on Relic Maze? Either that's a typo or you know something I don't O.O (36 seconds faster than my PB)

Quote:
Right after the first drawbridge goes back down and you divekick down to where the first rotating platforms are, instead of immediately boosting up to the right, jump to a reference point and boost from there, with that you can get a dive onto the leading slope of the roof up there.  Probably saves a second or so, since that's normally a stretch you have to cross at a crawl.  Comparing my time versus HDL's and Mylexsi's at the stop sign, that would appear to be accurate - I was getting :22.20 or so and both videos showed around a :23.40.

I'll give it a go. cheers.

Quote from Kligan:
At first i coulnd't make it with Carol, so I went to check what makes it possible with Lilac. Turns out - it's the cyclone. When Lilac uses cyclone her sprite clips throught moving walls and the zip is possible.
So how to make it with Carol? I found out that I can do a walljump on the right spot of the moving wall so that Carol's sprite will clip through it and that makes the zip possible..

Hm...I've done it(accidentally) as lilac without a cyclone. It only requires that the block is moving down fast enough compared to you; both cyclone and a wall-jump make your own vertical momentum upwards, so that automatically works.
Edit history:
Rezard: 2015-01-19 07:18:36 am
Meteor Swarm
Unless you can compress the game pixel under the schwarzschild radius and make a black hole within the game to compress the time  there's no way to do 3.26 in RM, its 4:26

I now have almost the full routing. And training for battle glacier and still full game run My pb at is is around 57. And with optimisation i will be able to go to 50-52. 55 igt (around 1.05 rta) will be perfect for me.
Edit history:
HDL: 2015-01-19 12:53:23 pm
Unless you don't care about quality and only want recorded proof I highly suggest running the game at its native resolution (426x240) and recording it that way.  Increasing window size scales the pixels and applies a filter so the recording won't be pixel accurate.  Downscaling it back to 240 after recording a scaled window will be blurrier than recording native resolution.
Meteor Swarm
Totaly not possible for me to play with a small windows like that I need to go full screen.
Viking it up
Yeah, it was 4:26.
Viking it up
Watched Lunadash's 58:24 and wow we done goofed on the Relic Maze puzzle section.  Instead of doing the tumbler in the yellow lower section, then zipping above, we should just zip above in the first place, restart after the block boss, re-enter the yellow section and do the tumbler, then restart AGAIN after hitting the final button above the tumbler.  Saves the backtrack up to the ladder, at almost no cost.  I'm gonna go try it and see what time I can get.

EDIT: Nevermind, it wouldn't let me past the purple barrier to the left of the block boss.  I figured it wasn't loading the collision for that barrier because we were entering the yellow door... turns out it's despawning the barrier along with the one at the top of the ladder in the yellow section because we pushed the buttons.
Edit history:
Kligan: 2015-01-19 02:45:38 pm
Personally, I'm playing in fullscreen windowed. And I find out that putting on my gunnar crystal glasses helps me focusing the attention alot since they are slightly increasing my field of view. That's not an advertising by any mean, don;t get me wrong (i would not actually recommend buying those because you never know if its gonna help you or give you a migraine - each person is different). It was just something that helped me to do better... Regularly i'm using those when i need to draw something with my pen tablet Smiley
Quote from johannhowitzer:
Watched Lunadash's 58:24 and wow we done goofed on the Relic Maze puzzle section.

That does not sounds like ALOT of saved time, but that's saved time nonetheless. Should keep that in mind next time i'll be running relic maze
Viking it up
Turned out to be false hope because I misunderstood why the barrier despawn was happening.
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-19 05:14:57 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-19 04:22:31 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-19 04:21:42 pm
After a little test, i reckon it'd be slower even if the collision did work how we thought it did. Ironically, because there's too much backtracking; The time it takes to get all the way back down into the yellow area is longer than the time it takes to get from the turntable to the zip(which is all you'd really be cutting out)

Also, johann, I've no idea what you're doing to hit that stop-sign at 22.2x, because while messing around with your improvement, I improved it further(by not bothering to land between divekicking and dragon boosting). I'm getting through there fast enough that i'm being cockblocked by the previous cycle sometimes, and the best i've gotten is 22.5

EDIT: I did find a pixel-and/or-frame-perfect jump-divekick-thing coming out of the loop that lands you exactly on the middle path(i.e. in front of the earth shield) at full speed. Though I' pretty sure you weren't talking about that...As for how much time that saves, no idea; I was so surprised by it that i immediately messed up the opportunity. Long & short of it is: do a floatey divekick on the very last moment before you're on level ground coming out of the loop.
Edit history:
johannhowitzer: 2015-01-19 05:14:36 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-01-19 05:14:16 pm
johannhowitzer: 2015-01-19 05:13:50 pm
Viking it up
Actually I hit the stop sign at :22.08, because I was timing it between the stop sign and the wall, I just mentioned the stop sign to avoid being more wordy than necessary.  Here's proof, but you'll have to freeze frame at the stop sign since I paused after it:

http://www.twitch.tv/johannhowitzer/c/5919074

Also after the ground cyclone on top of the loop that goes into a jump toward the dragons, I haven't yet tried an up input there to level the cyclone out.  That would probably save a little time, due to less time being dragged backward by the dragon.
Ah. I haven't been divekicking after that last boost.
Also I've been going through the loop rather than over it.
Viking it up
I love momentum dives.  Really cool piece of subtle tech.

Also, rewatched your DV 2:55 video, and I'm doing everything you do except for the cyclone jump into cancel before the end of the first screen (you know the one), but still leaving the first screen 35-36.  I think that proves I can get like a 2:51 if I can get everything to come together!
Edit history:
Mylexsi: 2015-01-19 05:42:19 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-19 05:40:56 pm
Mylexsi: 2015-01-19 05:39:42 pm
You can get a 2:47-48 if you do everything perfectly.

And honestly I give up with that start bit of FN. Turns out if you do everything perfectly and chain a bunch of stuff you can skip a whole cycle on the paper dragons. I'll likely win the lottery before I pull that off again, though.
I'mma just throw it in the 'IL strats' section of my mind and continue as I have been.

EDIT; semi-unrelated but before I forget: By all accounts, taking the upper and lower routes after you knock the first log over in DV are the same speed....if you push the log out of the way. I've never been able to replicate it but you can clip through it.