Smiley
Sad
page  <- 1234567891011121314 -> <- 1 .. 8 .. 14 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
can't you just time the recording?  See when the run starts and when it ends?
DXHR runner
That doesn't work well for streamers like me that do multiple games in a day. I would have to turn my stream on and off just for one run
I used the "highlight" to get the final run, and when it wasn't good, I just deleted it.
But now, llanfair do the work well : http://xunkar.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/llanfair-1-2/
(user is banned)
Edit history:
SlayerOfBabies: 2014-02-03 07:41:44 pm
I haven't seriously run the game in months, my pb of 36:33 was from March IIRC.

I didn't see any record videos on Youtube from looking over the thread quickly, and I can't watch Twitch VODs, when you say Single Segment you do mean no Quicksave + Quickload right? I can't see a sub 34 happening SS unless the player has an SSD, utilizes block boosting, or utilizes the Dam skip. Just curious if something new has been found or what.

Edit: Just saw RyderC's longer post, so now I'm really curious how the time got so far down, I'd love to see a video of the run.
DXHR runner
Even if it's Quick load and Quick save, it still counts as single segment by SDA standards.
SDA standards are stupid though, SS and RTA are defined to separate runs like this since they utilize separate tricks. Not to mention SDA has the implication that if a certain trick (Like Resets or Reloads) saves time, it can warrant a separate category, in this case it should as RTA can save 2+ minutes that SS can't.
DXHR runner
Seeing how majority of the community accepts it, I don't see a problem. You can believe what you want, but we go by SDA standards. For example: in the main game I run (Deus Ex 3) if you fail a glitch you can get stuck in null zone forever, or die, etc. and you HAVE to reload a save. It's close to impossible to get a solid 100% consistent run with the glitches you use, unless you get very very lucky AND good at the same time. Not like there's any reason to quick load or quick save in Fallout anyway.
Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-02-03 08:15:01 pm
Quote from PlagueFather:
In Deus Ex 3, if you fail a glitch you can get stuck in null zone forever, or die, etc. and you HAVE to reload a save. It's close to impossible to get a solid 100% consistent run with the glitches you use, unless you get very very lucky AND good at the same time.

This does nothing to negate his point.  He would classify this as an RTA.  A single segment run of the game would probably avoid such risky glitches.

Quote from PlagueFather:
Not like there's any reason to quick load or quick save in Fallout anyway.

If Slayer's estimate of 2+ minutes saved is accurate, that'd be a reason.  Does Ryderc's time use this feature?

Unrelated: 75% of this topic's discussion is Bronzeleaguer replying rather than editing his posts
DXHR runner
RTA would be a sub-category within Single Segment. If you avoid those glitches you would be using Glitchless category, which does exist. Stop trying to validate moot points in this thread. This is a fallout thread, not a discussion on whether or not SDA standards are BS or not.
i understand each community comes to an agreement about the rules for timing and categories but generally quick saving and quick loading, resetting or quitting to menus during the run are considered RTA not SS.
Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-02-03 08:25:36 pm
Quote from PlagueFather:
Stop trying to validate moot points in this thread.

In what way is this a moot point?  Clearly defining a ruleset is pretty damn important.

Quote from PlagueFather:
If you avoid those glitches you would be using Glitchless category, which does exist.

I said risky glitches, as in glitches that heavily rely on quicksave/load.  Not all glitches.

Quote from PlagueFather:
This is a fallout thread, not a discussion on whether or not SDA standards are BS or not.

I wasn't talking about SDA.  I was talking about the ruleset amongst runners of this game.  It's as relevant to Fallout as the entire page of "which timer should I use" discussion
Quote from PlagueFather:
Not like there's any reason to quick load or quick save in Fallout anyway.

Not only is there dialogue skipping, jump extending and fall-damage cancelling, there's quicksave clipping which can allow you to skip the entirety of the inside of the dam during the battle of Hoover Dam much easier than item hovering, which is extremely hard to do in a SS run. This is relevant to Fallout speedrunning discussion as they would be two separate categories (I don't know when SDA defined the categories, but outside of SDA in regular Fallout speedrunning discussion, we've had the RTA/SS split since a couple weeks after New Vegas came out, since that was the way everyone had agreed for FO3 to work.)

And I'm still curious of what is done to get a 34 minute run SS, is it just better routing, or is there a new trick?
DXHR runner
We don't do the inside of the dam...we skip it entirely.
Edit history:
BronzeLeaguer: 2014-02-03 08:47:31 pm
sorry for posting i guess o well. Slayer its just better routing and dam skip.
DXHR runner
Simple put: I'm running SS. Meaning I play the game from start to finish, only loading saves if I fuck up and take fatal damage, or my game crashes. There are no skips in the game that require re-loads due to difficulty, if you practice them enough. I used Deus Ex as an example because the glitches are semi-RNG reliant. They're frame and angle perfect, which is why you fail them a lot. That's why SS is still in play if you have to load a save. In segmented, you practice a single part over and over and over until it is FLAWLESS. Absolutely NO mistakes at all, and you compile all of your successful tries of each section of the game into one run, which is the difference betwen SS and Segmented. RTA would be a subcategory of SS if you do NOT load any saves. Start to finish, no pausing, no bs.
Quote from PlagueFather:
RTA would be a subcategory of SS if you do NOT load any saves. Start to finish, no pausing, no bs.

How is your reading comprehension this bad.
DXHR runner
You're obviously not grasping the whole reason why saving and loading is allowed in SS. I'm trying to use terminology you will understand.
Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-02-03 09:28:29 pm
jymotion: 2014-02-03 09:02:58 pm
jymotion: 2014-02-03 09:02:45 pm
jymotion: 2014-02-03 09:02:10 pm
jymotion: 2014-02-03 09:01:18 pm
Quote from PlagueFather:
You're obviously not grasping the whole reason why saving and loading is allowed in SS. I'm trying to use terminology you will understand.

All you did was reverse the terminology completely.

segmented run: multiple game segments spliced together (ignoring the real time it takes to create and splice the segments)
single segment run: one game segment
real time attack: beating the game as quickly as possible in real time using multiple game segments (e.g. resetting the game or reloading a save)
Quote:
RTA would be a subcategory of SS if you do NOT load any saves. Start to finish, no pausing, no bs.

seems like you've gotten rta and ss mixed up.
DXHR runner
I seriously don't understand how you guys are so ignorant. Please leave this thread immediately.
Lord Of The Beards
http://speedrunslive.com/faq/glossary/  please look at the glossary and go to both Single Segment and RTA.  Single Segment: A speedrun that never loads a save.  RTA / Real Time Attack: A speedrun done in real time.  We are not ignorant we are just trying to correct you.
twitch.tv/letterswords
this argument is hilarious. I love when people can't admit they are wrong.
Edit history:
PlagueFather: 2014-02-03 09:37:46 pm
DXHR runner
Then why is loading and saving allowed in SS? By SDA standards
Edit history:
jymotion: 2014-02-03 09:41:01 pm
jymotion: 2014-02-03 09:38:45 pm
edit: no longer relevant after the above edit
DXHR runner
You are linking SRL rules in an SDA forum. My argument stands. Please, the door is to your right.