--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/EarnestEvans.html

Earnest Evans (ntscus) (genesis) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Phillip 'ZELLLOOO' Shanklin!
Thread title:  
Run Information

Earnest Evans (ntscus) (genesis) [Any %] [Single Segment]

Verification Files

http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/EarnestEvans-20220131/

Please refer to the Verification Guidelines before posting.

Please post your opinions about the run and be certain to conclude your post with a verdict (Accept/Reject). If you wish to remain anonymous, you can also send a pm with your reply to 'sdaverification' (please state clearly in that case which run you have verified). This is not a contest where the majority wins - Each verification will be judged on its content.
Edit history:
Worn_Traveler: 2022-02-08 10:51:23 am
Worn_Traveler: 2022-02-08 10:50:30 am
Formerly known as Skullboy
A/V is good. No cheating detected.

This game seems to be at an impasse in terms of speedrunning. Outside of this run and a new TAS, which inspired this run, Earnest Evans has not been seeing much activity. Checking the SRC leaderboard shows that and the current SDA run is from 2014.

As the runner said in the submission notes, little has changed in the world of Earnest Evans over the years. This submitted run is less than a second shorter than the currently published run. This is primarily through new "routing" through Stage 1, or in other words, sending Evans flying in the wanted direction faster.

That seems to be it for improvements. Some parts of the run go better than the currently published run, like the fish fight, but then other parts do not seem to go as well, leaving us with a small incremental improvement. Could more time be saved with better execution and luck? Possibly. Is it likely to be done by human on console? It's possible but there seems to be no interest in pushing the game further. The runner stated that this is their last SDA submission (I wonder if that El Viento cart is still laying around they mentioned in the last Evans verification thread) so that might be it for Evans here, like it has become for so many other games.

Maybe one day something more broken than Evan's joints will be found and the time will become lower.

It's an improvement for a difficult game, even if it's extremely minor.  It's Wolf Team. Accept.
Not sure exactly how this is timed, but I get the run on the site to be 8:33,2 and the new to be 8:33,1. Despite not agreeing with the run comments, it's faster than the current run.

A/V: Very good and definitely a big step up from the currently published run.

Gameplay: One route change in stage 1 saving a couple of seconds is pretty much the extent of route improvements. The rest of the levels differ from the previous run because of the game's RNG and also of course on the execution. This game seems to have extremely janky controls and unintuitive hitboxes, so not unexpected that some things go better, some worse than last time. It has to be said that it's mostly worse though, but then mainly compensated by a much better fish RNG in stage 11 (and the time saved from the route improvement in stage 1).

Very small improvement and still improvable, but I believe the runner when saying that it's mainly up to RNG grinding. This seems confirmed by comparing the current run on the site and the submitted run. Accept from my side!

If I understand the run comments correctly, this is the runner's last submission. Not only for this game, but period. If that's correctly understood, a thanks from my side for many well done and entertaining speedruns!
Decision posted.