Sad
12345 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Jack of all Trades
Does anyone here have it? I played the demo of it but meh...I dunno.

How fast do ya think you could finish it?
Thread title:  
Well, there is a lot of loading screens. I think you could do it under and hour if your good. Then again, what do I know? I'm the worst time predictor in the world. Be sure to play the P.C. version; it cuts down the loading times by a lot.
m00
you can only walk, not run in diablo 1, making everything a little slow. Just rushing past the enemies will not always be easy (say hello to skeleton archers). Good news is, you can often close a door behind you. Wink

Spells have to be found or bought, just leveling isn't enough. Yes, dungeons are fixed in singleplayer, so you can memorize the dungeon and shrine/book pile positions before starting to run. I don't know if shrine types are fixed though - some good shrines could help you a lot.

Quests.. most of them can be skipped. There are also no level-requirements I'm aware of in SinglePlayer.

A pure mage is dependant on mana potions, mana doesn't regenerate. And a pure mage will start being strong only later on. A low lvl warrior will have trouble surviving (I never played one though).
I'd personally go with a rogue, try to get down to diablo as fast as possible, use the telekinese-tricks and then carefully and slowly approach diablo.

Segmentation.. IIRC when loading you start back in town with town portals closed (not sure, didn't play SP for a while). There are only 4 locations where you can enter the dungeon, resulting in 4 segments.

Everything else you might ever want to know about the game is explained in jarulfs guide:
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/view/751/110/
I dont quite understand this part:

"Yes, dungeons are fixed in singleplayer, so you can memorize the dungeon and shrine/book pile positions before starting to run."

Uh everytime I have played it (new game) the levels had a layout I at least didnt recognize. Well except for the quest-levels and last level of hell.
Quote:
I dont quite understand this part:

"Yes, dungeons are fixed in singleplayer, so you can memorize the dungeon and shrine/book pile positions before starting to run."

Uh everytime I have played it (new game) the levels had a layout I at least didnt recognize. Well except for the quest-levels and last level of hell.

The maps are the same for that character you've created, not the same for every character. Or, at least I think that's what he means.
m00
yes, fixed for each character. Just like in D2 singleplayer. As opposed to D1/D2 multiplayer, where you'll get new dungeon layouts each time you join a game.
Quote:
A pure mage is dependant on mana potions, mana doesn't regenerate. And a pure mage will start being strong only later on. A low lvl warrior will have trouble surviving (I never played one though).
I'd personally go with a rogue, try to get down to diablo as fast as possible, use the telekinese-tricks and then carefully and slowly approach diablo.

I'd personally go with the Warrior, since he has the most vitality. In case you don't know what vitality is, it gives you H.P. Also, the Warrior can carry the strongest weapons and do the most damage. The only real advantage the Rogue has is that she can shoot from a distance. The sorcerer has good magic, but dies way too easily.
for the run\walk, if you play it with the expetion : hellfire
you can run in town ( i think )

and yeah, a warrior would be the best to play cause you can use all th magic and ur good with melee

i think a d1 run would be "harder" then d2

for a fastest time you sure need to look wish monster is in each level before start it

and i got the d1 cd ^.^ original yeah Tongue ( i dont got hellfire anymore Sad )
Ah ok I get it.
oh yeah, if you start one on d1, i will try to help ^.^ i played some lot of time on this
i dont work tommorow, maybe i try some stuff tomorow morning
m00
Quote:
In case you don't know what vitality is, it gives you H.P.

when I link jarulfs guide you can expect me to have read it.
Quote:
Also, the Warrior can carry the strongest weapons

true. I wouldn't rely on finding strong weapons in a speedrun though. Rogue is safer and can kill almost anyone with a shoot-and-retreat tactic.
I don't know what's faster, I'm just not sure about the chances of a lowlvl-warrior with crappy equip against diablo. And I doubt it's fast to spend time leveling up.

But I haven't played d1 SP in a while, I guess only tests will tell.
Quote:
true. I wouldn't rely on finding strong weapons in a speedrun though. Rogue is safer and can kill almost anyone with a shoot-and-retreat tactic.
I don't know what's faster, I'm just not sure about the chances of a lowlvl-warrior with crappy equip against diablo. And I doubt it's fast to spend time leveling up.

I'm not expecting you to find godly items, but exceptional items with little or no add-ones. (+ strength, posion resistance, give magic) This game isn't too challenging to finish on Normal, so you won't need these godly weapons.  Basically, what I mean is, Warrior can use the exceptional items, which are more then enough to beat the game without a hassle.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote:

Diablo is very easy to kill in D1, it doesn't matter what equipment you have really.
Edit history:
Gorash: 2005-06-19 03:43:14 pm
${$uid.$user}{' usertext'}
Quote:
Diablo is very easy to kill in D1, it doesn't matter what equipment you have really.

Provided you have scrolls of Teleport and Firewall.

But honestly, a lone warrior without the exp from at least 2 playthroughs is going to get pretty whipped in stage16. The mages down there have the nasty habit of spamming you with spells and teleporting away once you approach them, rendering the beloved life leech of the Undead Crown useless.
The only way you can finish it fast is if you have LUCK.You need a killer sword and armour which you can get at either chambers of bone and/or Steel knights boss(rare to get)
Telekenses will help you steal the armour,weapons,spells and book from shelf and stands without fighting the boss or minions of any level

you could upgrade dex and vitality to make you Char immortal
and have firewall level3 when you fight Lazruras cast when talking as soon as hes done hes already dead.You could buy tones of elixers to boost your skills and you`ll teleport to evade monsters (tons of mana potions)

still  it will be hard to do in less than 3hours
Oh yeah sorry for the grammer anyway yes ive got the game but its got a level genarator there never the same so there were you need more luck agian

have to get back to my speed run
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote:
Provided you have scrolls of Teleport and Firewall.

But honestly, a lone warrior without the exp from at least 2 playthroughs is going to get pretty whipped in stage16. The mages down there have the nasty habit of spamming you with spells and teleporting away once you approach them, rendering the beloved life leech of the Undead Crown useless.

That's not true at all, I beat Diablo with a warrior on my first playthrough, the boss died to a short period of bashing.
新世紀進歩的羽扇子 音楽
marshmallow...how could you?  You don't own D1?  I thought you were so cool, I read your Super Metroid and Legend of Zelda: OoT guides (after all these years I still hate the Fire Temple), watched your SC/BW videos with great interest, and now... Shocked

Just kidding.

I think Rogue wins this run, hands down.  Basically,
-She doesn't need that good of a weapon.
-She doesn't have problems with To Hit %
-Good range allows for lower life/armor
-Bow damage means you only need two spells: Heal and Stone Curse

Other speed things:
-Skip all quests except Zhar the Mad (quick, easy, and free books) and Lazarus/Diablo
-Buy potions from Pepin.  Yes, full rejuvenation potions are kind of a waste of money.  Too bad.
-Find the Slain hero (Level 9).  I've gotten great stuff from him, well worth the time.
-Skip 12, 13, 14.  These floors totally suck.
-Magic 35.  I think this is how much Stone Curse takes.
-Vitality ?.  I think you can get away with 60 or 70 health.  Any less and Lazarus' lair will be nigh impossible.
-Dexterity ?.  Put as much in as possible.

This game will be HARD to speed run.  You need either levels or weapons.  In a speed run you can't depend on either.  I kind of like the idea of doing this, but I don't think I can record, and I'm not convinced I could produce an entertaining video anyway.  I mean, I don't know any tricks that will make it exciting to watch.

"OMG he's running past all those monsters!  I've never seen that before."
Edit history:
marshmallow: 2005-06-19 09:04:05 pm
Jack of all Trades
Quote:
I mean, I don't know any tricks that will make it exciting to watch.

"OMG he's running past all those monsters!  I've never seen that before."

Sounds like a speed ... run to me.

What's the lowest one could be expected to beat the game on normal? I've been reading a lot of Diablo 1 things and one guy says he can get to level 30 as a mage in about 5-6 hours. Is that good?

As fpr me getting Diablo...working on it.
Lvl 30 in 5-6 houres is good. You have to know that the max. lvl in Diablo 1 is 50 (in Diablo 2 it's 99) The speedrun will be dificult to do becouse you cant just add skills when you lvl up like in Diablo 2. You have to get some discent items and some  books like stone curse ect. And ther's no running in Diablo 1 and the running in Hellfire is more of a faster walk than run. Well gl with the speedrun i would like to see it happen. Smiley
Jack of all Trades
Yay I have the game now. Let's see how bad it is...
Edit history:
Gorash: 2005-06-20 12:30:13 am
${$uid.$user}{' usertext'}
Reaching lv30 in single player should be out. of. reach.

I never played the game in multiplayer, and without hellfire you don't have the option to play in nm or hell in singleplayer.

I remember clearing the whole game about 4-5 times to get my mage to lv30. Yes, the whole game 4-5 times.

It's been a while but Diablo himself is not that hard. The worst thing is to get past base 10-15, especially 15 and then reaching a safe spot in base 16.

Without spoiling too much, the 16th basement level is not randomised, instead you have to find a switch in 3 of 4 quarters of the map to open the spot where Diablo is. If you got Teleport and Firewall Scrolls/Books you can just port into his room, set a firewall in front of your feet, port out of it and stupid Diablo will stand where he expected to be able to hit you.... in your firewall. Repeat about 2-3 times and he's history.

Scrolls of Infravision will help there (I'll never know why there are none in Diablo2).

Oh and while you're there... keep your eyes open for a super unique knight by the name of Sir Gorash Wink
Jack of all Trades
I don't think you have to worry about spoiling me, I've read so much about the game over the years because I was curious about it.

But I think you're wrong. You can make your own LAN game and play like it's multiplayer except by yourself.
m00
multiplayer is way different. Most of the quests aren't there, you can enter hell right away with level 1.. it's a crippled version of diablo. Without the possibilities to memorize dungeons by the way.
Oh, and you can't play your SP char in MP, so switching during the run won't happen. No short visit to nightmare for leveling up.

I think a speedrun should be done in SP.
新世紀進歩的羽扇子 音楽
Quote:
Yay I have the game now. Let's see how bad it is...

This game was, like, the coolest thing ever for five years.  Now you can buy a copy at EB for 1.69 (or at least that's what my quick replacement cost last October).

Thinking about it, this run will be funny.  Hordes of 10-foot blood knights chase the character around.  And the Rogue will just walk daintily away from it all  Grin .

Anyway, you don't need to be that high leveled to kill Diablo.  20-22 is probably the minimum, but honestly killing Lazarus was the hardest part of the game for my rogue. 

This game is not D2.  You don't pick up 100 monsters and slaughter them all with massive Area of Effect spells.  You stand in strategic spots and knock down one monster at a time (first with the Butcher, then on every floor after 5 or 6).  Over and over and over.  Turning this into a speed run will be an interesting challenge.  Sure, the sorceror can lay down fire walls but you don't just "get" mana so he buys many more potions.

The fact is, I'm predicting 3+ hours at this point.  The game isn't huge, but between slower combat, more loading screens, walking everywhere, and killing enough to beat Laz/Diablo, I can't imagine anything less.  That's about 15 minutes each on floors 3-11 plus an hour for the shorter floors and Laz' Lair.