--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
TheCowness: 2014-02-15 02:05:49 pm
TheCowness: 2014-02-15 01:15:41 pm
I was playing this the other day (By which I mean, I'd beaten the remake and didn't care for it and wanted the real thing) and decided to beat it as fast as I could, and it was actually a pretty fun speedrun.  I don't know how commonly-known this game is, but it was one of the Shareware games I grew up with and the full version was one of the first video games I bought with my own allowance money.  It's a top-down racer where you compete in races trying to win and/or destroy the other racers until you can upgrade your car and reach the top of the ranking ladder.  But before you mail in your order for the CD, make sure you've got at least a 90MHz Pentium to run it on; you don't want anything less.

From a speedrunning perspective, it's got quite a bit of RNG to it for a racing game, but most of it happens between races.  In the races themselves, you can manipulate the other cars well enough, scraping them off on the wall if they try to pass you inside a turn and such, but every time you race there's an Easy, Medium, and Hard race (not to be confused with the easy/medium/hard difficulty you select when starting the game), and the two races you don't sign up for still happen -- the top-seeded racer is constantly getting further away from you because he gets several more points from winning Hard than you win from winning Easy.  However, there are twenty racers (counting you) and only twelve of them race at a time, so sometimes the top racers don't even participate.

There's also a bit of strategy involved, though.  There are two goals: You need the best car with at least half the upgrades (if playing on the easy difficulty), and you need to get to the top of the ladder (the "boss fight" race happens when you're seeded #1 and aren't tied with anyone; you don't want to get there until you can win the race).  There are six cars, and I was only using cars one, four, and six (which is unfortunate because the third car is my favorite).  My plan was to win as many races with the first car as I could in Easy or Medium to upgrade it fully and then skip to car four because car four is the first car with twin machine guns: If you destroy a racer, they do not gain points from the race, even if they place second or third.  As soon as I get this car, I jump to the Hard races and try to kill all of the racers to stop them from climbing the ladder.  Unfortunately, this isn't too easy, because if you're stuck against all three racers who have the best car (it happened to me twice in my 24-race run; the luck.) you'll be struggling to catch them, let alone kill them.  However, buying the better cars isn't really an option because the weapon items you buy for each race (spiked bumpers, mines, etc) jump in price at car five and you're on a budget, so I was basically sitting on the fourth car until it was time to race the boss, then spending all of my money on the best car I could get.

I'd like to play the game on the hardest difficulty, but it's ridiculous getting off the ground because you can't win first with the starting car, and your repairs will cost you all of your winnings.  There'd be a lot of resetting if your first couple of races pit you against too many racers with cars two and three.  But then again, that's speedrunning.  I'm not sure I'm serious enough about speedrunning at the moment to do that, though (That is why I am posting in the Casual forum).  My best time in five attempts was 43:54 realtime and 24 total races (I just beat it in 36:48, 21 races), timing from the "Welcome to Death Rally" screen before you select the first race to when I crossed the finish line racing against The Adversary.  I'm curious as to what an optimal time would be; I could easily do it in fewer races if RNG was nicer to me (though fewer races means less money; I mentioned earlier you have two goals), and killing other racers is faster than finishing the race normally, so optimizing that would be even more beneficial than optimizing your lap times for each track.

Anyway, it was cool digging out a game I hadn't played in several years and trying to speedrun it.  Sucks that my computer doesn't meet the specs, though.  When I was building it, I was sure this eight-core AMD would be fast enough, but I had to install this thing called "DOS Box" which I think speeds up my CD-Rom drive to double speed and frees up some disk space so it can copy off all sixteen megs of cinematics?  I don't think I even have any megs, they told me gigs were better... maybe I got ripped off.  Techno-talk, what does it mean.

As an aside, I've got a question I'll need an answer to if I some day decide to play this seriously enough to submit a run.  Would this be considered cheating:  Duke Nukem is a playable character, and if you name yourself Duke Nukem you'll have a higher armor rating than is possible to get through upgrades, and it's hidden (you can still buy armor upgrades but they might be useless).  It's definitely a necessary strategy to at least select him, even if you have to name him something else to not be cheating, so that there isn't an AI Duke Nukem with an impossible armor rating...  Any opinions on this?  There are legitimate cheat codes in the game, but this feels different because you have to play against him if you don't take him.
Thread title:  
Might be magic...
This would be a pretty fun speedrun to watch.

From memory it is quite possible to win the first race, but probably not that viable for a speedrun as it can be either very unlikely or involve killing all the opponents, which can take a while. Is it easier / quicker to just not enter the race, or skip it by hitting ESC?

I'd consider using the "Duke Nukem" name as at least a separate category, if not a cheat.
Edit history:
TheCowness: 2014-02-15 03:19:28 pm
Skipping the first race is a waste of time because you start $5 short of being able to afford the first tire upgrade, and you can't get loans until you buy any of the other cars.  It's really not hard to get first place on the easy difficulty in the first race, but on the hardest difficulty it's hard just to place third.

My general route for easy difficulty is: Win first place on the Easy race twice to upgrade my car, then go to Medium if I can win it (getting first place three times in a row gets you a bonus) or otherwise stay in Easy for one more.  Then grind Medium for a Shrieker, then start racing Hard and try to take out the top racers, even if I can't get first.  Honestly if I really wanted to min/max I'd just race Medium from the start and hope I'm never pitted against any Shriekers.

I don't even know how I'd run the game on Hard.  I definitely could not skip half the cars.  But I think once I was able to win Easy races consistently, it would take off.
Edit history:
ktg: 2015-04-01 07:22:35 am
Here, guns enabled, easy difficulty Smiley

Edit: Redid it, now takes about 12.5mins
Might be magic...
That was awesome! If you have a good quality recording you should submit this Smiley
Hey guys could you ask someone to move this over to PC speedrunning because there was nothing casual about that submission and unfortunately nobody's gonna see it if it's under "casual running". The run was pretty good, I gave advice in my speedrun verification towards making it even better though and yeah... Starting a strategy guide wouldn't be a bad idea either just to get the basic ideas (and that Duke Nukem trick) documented somewhere more easy to find (well at least if you know about the KB. In fact the Duke trick should definitely be used becaused I think it's more an easter egg than cheating and I didn't personally ever notice the extra armor. That could definitely help with risk-taking. Unless the effect is absolutely HUGE, which I doubt because it doesn't enable you to do anything new in a sense just get the same result more consistently, I don't recommend a separate category for it, but the hardest difficulty is another category of course.
Edit history:
LotBlind: 2015-07-28 06:41:36 pm
LotBlind: 2015-07-28 06:36:28 pm
I just noticed you can get out of a race slightly faster after winning by hitting esc - abort race than waiting for the screen to come up. It's basically instantaneous. Sadly this doesn't work if you all-kill the others, only if racing all the way, so maybe it's not good for speedruns.

I also ran into something reaaaallyy freeakkyyyy! I was racing and I took one of the racers out. There was one guy on a Shrieker and the one I blasted was in a Dervish. I thought "okay I've got 3rd place for sure", but then to my sudden alarm a car appeared behind me with rocket fuel and I thought "Shit that's the Shrieker, he's gonna lap me". As a last ditch when they were really close I tried to block them, they crashed into some rocks and died instantly. I was really confused because I thought the Shrieker had almost full health, but that's when I realized: IT WAS THE DERVISH, RETURNED FROM THE DEAD!

I guess all that needed to happen was a wrench spawned directly below them or someone bumped them into one and suddenly they lived again. I wonder what happens if YOU die and instantly hit a repair...
Might be magic...
Quote from LotBlind:
I also ran into something reaaaallyy freeakkyyyy! I was racing and I took one of the racers out. There was one guy on a Shrieker and the one I blasted was in a Dervish. I thought "okay I've got 3rd place for sure", but then to my sudden alarm a car appeared behind me with rocket fuel and I thought "Shit that's the Shrieker, he's gonna lap me". As a last ditch when they were really close I tried to block them, they crashed into some rocks and died instantly. I was really confused because I thought the Shrieker had almost full health, but that's when I realized: IT WAS THE DERVISH, RETURNED FROM THE DEAD!

I guess all that needed to happen was a wrench spawned directly below them or someone bumped them into one and suddenly they lived again. I wonder what happens if YOU die and instantly hit a repair...

Yep, I've seen that happen too. Weird how you can still grab powerups even when at 0% health and have lost control of the vehicle.

I'm glad other people appreciate this run!