Flip: 2012-11-07 08:40:08 pm
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/DeadlyTowers.html

Single Segment Any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Time: 31:42
Decision: Accept.

This is over a two minute improvement to the current run. The time saved comes from route changes. He forgoes all healing potions, which enables him to buy an extra orange scroll to warp out of the Great Burn's tower rather than walking out. In the last run, he chose to do that to acquire the double shot, but it turned out to save less time than it required to pick up.

Time Differences:

A little over 30 seconds saved on the grinding portion. Subtract 3 red potions, add 1 orange scroll = 50 less ludder needed. So that's less grinding and 2 shop visits, which more than makes up for the extra trip to the scroll shop.

Nearly two whole minutes saved using the extra orange scroll after the Great Burn. Upon getting the bell after that fight, it's still reasonably close to the old run - about 45 seconds ahead. But by the time they each get back to the flame, it's over a 2.5 minute difference.

From there to the end, the old run is faster by about 24 seconds which can probably be mostly accounted to the double shot. Clearly not worth it.

The only shaky part was the shield/helmet/Centipede section. While it certainly was thrilling to watch him go down to 1 HP on three separate occasions, the section as a whole ended up 30 seconds slower than the old run. That's the number one place for future improvements to gain time.

Quote from Dragondarch:
I'll let others time it. I'm lazy Tongue

Audio/Video: Fine.
No Cheating detected, except Death Wink

Gameplay:
It's pretty much the same route with better grinding, more risks taken (except a few...I'm looking at you Wheeler), and skipping the Double Shot. Obvious time savings.
I was going to be much more picky and precise, but I don't see any need. I think we're starting to reach the limit of what this route can do. I think any major improvements would require a re-working of it. I've been tossing ideas around in my head since this run was added to the verification thread, and have a couple theories, but I'd need to test some things out before I could even begin to hypothesize how much time it could save, if any.

Either way, ACCEPT.

PS: This is Dragondarch.

Decision: Accept

Congratulations to Jeff Feasel!
Thread title:  
Is PJ
Sorry you couldn't do better in the "have the oldest run in the queue" contest, feasel.
Professional Second Banana
That's only because you haven't given me Whizz comments, PJ. Wink
Is PJ
Hahaha.  The good news is that I haven't forgotten.  The bad news is that despite that, I still haven't written anything.  Maybe tonight will be different.
Master-88
Is Mike first verifer. He said last time: He never verifer this game again.

Congrats Feasel i´ll watch this run. I hate this game too, but i am played it and iam really proud your progress. Yeah this game are suck ass. Feasel rock.:)
Sandbagging
Congrats Feasel! A game worthy of a speedrun ;P
Edit history:
feasel: 2012-11-08 09:18:40 pm
difficult and stupidly random
Thank you everyone for electing Deadly Towers as president.
Please enjoy a preview of the next four years:
I'm just stopping by to say that this is a very underrated game.  Considering it was made in 1986, I think it was above average.

Props to the runner for showing this game some love.