Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Contra3.html

Jonas 'Hurblat' Martinsson's hard difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Contra 3 Verification respond

Damn this run was awesome. Its take MR Mike time down by 17 seconds.
Im not pick up many mistakes here.

-I think wall boss level 3 could be done in one round, but its might be really hard and requires  alot luck
-Rope boss level 4 could be one seconds faster
-There was stops end of the level 5, because runner have bad enemy locations.
-Taking S-weapon look like accident level 6.

I was really happy to see really good level 4 boss fight. Also runner did really nice silver Dragon fight level 6. I think these both was faster than Mike did.

I will
ACCEPT. this run
REASONS. Im not was believe anyone can take Mike run down soon like this

Let see can "BIG BAD" dictator of the SDA Mr Wuyma take his WR back in future. He have to make a lot job with this.

Yeah and i forget to say:

DAMN THIS RUN LOOK LIKE TAS.

Quote:
Master-88 (come on everyone knows it's him): Destroying the level 3 wall boss in one round requires a different pattern. The boss has to stab the wall twice to make that possible. Also, taking the Spread looks weird, but I don't think the runner lost any time collecting it.

This is Mike Uyama. I don't really care about making my identity a secret, and I can safely say that if any run beats mine, I'm glad it's this one. The 14:53 run on the forums honestly pissed me off because it looked like Hurblat beat me with better strats but worse execution, but this run definitely flat-out beats my run, and it's a damn fine addition to the site.

To be honest, this run makes me feel stupid, because some of the new strategies he discovered are based on concepts I already knew (point-blanking means faster killing, and slowdown management).

Stage 1: Hurblat failed to mention I used the S-C combination in both my CGDQ and AGDQ runs, but I forgive him. Wink I'm not sure how much time he saved getting less lag but backtracking a bit in stage 1, but I guess it was .1 second like he claims? I'm not tompa. I don't enjoy counting frames. Tongue

Stage 2: I never thought of going backwards to minimize lag on the final turret, smart! That stage 2 boss strategy is not only really fast, but it's a lot easier than it looks once you get the positioning down.

Stage 3: Funny how you make the same mistake on the rotating platform before the rail with the alien flies. AHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU MESSED UP THE MINIBOSS QUICK KILL. IT WAS FEATURED IN THE CGDQ TRAILER, HOW DARE YOU SCREW UP SOMETHING SO IMPORTANT. REJECT REJECT REJECT REJECT. Okay, moving on. I don't know how moving around manipulates this boss, but Hurblat got a faster pattern than me, so whatever he did worked.  The bomb/wingman boss was kind of bad, but the robot twins more than made up for it - more aggressive play and better luck on the robots (though not perfect).

Stage 4: The tightrope boss and weird boss before the helicopter went a bit worse than in my run. You know I think I tried doing what Hurblat did against the jetpack boss once or twice, but I couldn't get it down that quickly so I gave up on it. The two slower fights I mentioned don't even matter because that was the best fourth boss I've ever seen. I actually figured out the better position for taking out the top gun (like in this run) and that using a bomb was pointless after I did my run (I think Mr. K told me that too), oh well. :-/ Anyway, the fourth boss is definitely the highlight of the run to me, especially since it's faster than I've ever done it.

Stage 5: Why didn't I think of taking the bottom to skip rather than the top? Sad I was never very good at dealing with the swirly sand even though I knew what to do (make sure the moment you tap L the second time is the moment you enter the sand), so Hurblat does better than me there, but he gets really fucked on the enemy spawns near the end of the stage, forcing him to stop and kill. The 5th boss strategy is really smart! It's a bit tough to do, but it's by far the quickest way to beat the boss.

Stage 6: Like I said earlier, collecting the S doesn't waste any time (or if it does, it's negligible). Hurblat says he is deliberately shooting, which is true, but what's funny is that I died in my CGDQ run because I fired downward too early (or I should have just fired backwards), and he would have died in the same spot I died in my AGDQ run because he didn't fire up and to the right where I died. He says that's because he didn't see anything there, but those aliens are fast, so I'll believe it when I see it. Tongue

Anyway, the strategy against the Gargoyle is good, better than mine because it one-rounds the Gargoyle consistently. It is possible to one-round the Gargoyle without a bomb, but it's so hard to do (every single shot and explosion has to connect) that I'd say bombing it for one-round consistency is a much better idea.

The brain battle is better than in my run. It's funny, because whenever I screw up timing, it's because I shoot too late, and whenever Hurblat screws up timing, it's because he shoots too early. Cheesy

Basically most of the things Hurblat screwed up on were a lot smaller (except the first miniboss in the third stage!) than the things he saved time on, and the timesavers he found are really great. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. K (the PHD in Contra 3) found a couple of those timesavers.

Accept Accept Accept!

P.S.  I really doubt I'm going to try to improve this run. It would probably take me at least 5000 attempts to shave maybe a couple of seconds off the time. The only chance of it happening is if Mr. K finds a significant time saver, and even then, I'm not sure.

Quote:
This run is approximately 17 seconds faster than the current run.  The main improvements are in the boss fights.  What will be particularly striking to most viewers will be the improvements made to the stage 4 boss fight, the stage 5 boss fight, and the less frequent use of bombs in some difficult areas of the run.  The rest of the improvements are small optimizations in each stage.  This run is not as "lucky" as the current run in that there are some unlucky random spawns of enemies in top view stages, however better planning on these stages makes up for it.  Execution of all of the timesavers in each stage is extremely difficult to pull off and while there are a few areas of the run that are slower than the current run, on a whole it is top notch.  This is an excellent run and I am very impressed with it.  It's also great to see that people are still running this game and finding new tricks.  Here are some technical comments I do not expect you to care about.

+ is time saved over the current run
- is time lost over the current run

*I am too lazy to calculate the exact amount of time
**This list is not comprehensive

Stage 1
+Does not "feint" as much while clearing the base walls
+Does not "feint" while collecting bomb and barrier
+Uses spread/crush on tank
+Goes under second rising fireball
+Very Slightly faster second boss kill

Stage 2
+Uses only three crush missiles on first bunker to reduce lag
-Two rough spawns cause delays after destroying second bunker
+Destroys last bunker off screen to reduce lag
+New boss strategy with point blanking and timing saves more than a second

Stage 3
-Very slightly slower on first spinning pole
-Slightly worse luck getting grabbed on approach to the mini boss
-Did not destroy first phase of mini boss while still on the pole
+Better manipulation (Some say luck) on second phase of mini boss, goes down in two cycles and does not feint
-Mistimed first salvo of crush on bomb-dropping UFO
+Quicker kill of "terminator" robots, dispatches second phase of them much quicker saving several seconds

Stage 4
+Destroys tank slightly faster
-Worse luck on positioning of tightrope enemy
-Bad timing on "walker" enemy costs some time
+Boss fight is optimized, improvements include quicker kill on the upper and lower turrets and a more aggressive strategy with the core.  No bomb is used during this fight.

Stage 5
+Moving backward immediately after crush missiles are fired saves time
+Better approach on bunker in the shifting sand
-Bad spawn of centipede approaching final bunker
-Bad spawn of red spider approaching final bunker
-Bad spawn of two red spiders approaching final bunker
+New boss strategy involving the use of the invincibility frames at the start of the fight to point blank the eye.  This also destroys the reaching claw and prevents it from blocking the eye which saves seconds over the current run

Stage 6
-Collects spread due to difficult spawns approaching the first mini boss.  Slight loss of time, however runner quickly recollects crush
+Does not use a bomb on the path to the heart
-First volley of crush was slightly off target making the first phase a bit slower
+Kills gargoyle in one cycle with the aid of a bomb
+Slightly faster brain fight

Decision: ACCEPT
Reason: Stage 4 boss fight

P.S. Mr. K is always finding new timesavers

Quote:
Contra III FT effin' W

All technical aspects and no cheating check out.

Seeing this run come up was a shocker.  A shocker like two in the pink and one in the stink.  Did somebody really beat Mike's run?!

Level one: Standard, nice run under the jumping fireballs towards then end.
Level two: Nice, and the boss got eye gouged, skull f*$%d and mega bonus points for humping his ass while he's exploding.
Level three: As mentioned, the first mini boss was noticeably messed up.  The twins and master robots all get raped, especially the first two.
Level four: After the tank mini boss out of the tunnel, was he fapping in the corner?!  This may be my new favorite runner.  Some trouble with the acrobats.  That boss fight was hot, really hot.  Get naked for Bill hot.
Level five: New rock skip is sexy like triple D's.  Some bug trouble, but it's handled.  Boss fight was sexy like triple F's.
Level six, the finale: The S doesn't bug me at all.  Everything through the first round Gargoyle is smokin'.  Did this fool really get four straight short worms on the Alien Queen?!  WTF?  Amazing, like my horse.  Brain fights were definitive.

Overall, the run is Excellent.  The funny part is, Mike's run was epic and looked like it was pushing human limit.  This run shaves off a noticeable amount of time, but still has some errors and bad luck indicating we could be looking closer to 14:30 for a possible human limit, well done indeed.

This run is hot like spray on abs.  ACCEPT!

Decision: Accept

Reason: This run doesn't just look like TAS, it looks like DAMN TAS!
Thread title:  
Willing to teach you the impossible
Grats Hurbalt. Are you done with this game? Whats your next project?
Quote:
Its take MR Mike time down by 17 seconds

Wow.
Edit history:
PJ: 2011-03-27 05:42:21 pm
Is PJ
Oh oops!  I was supposed to verify this.  Here are my late comments:

Quote from PJ from the past:
Mad good.  Needs moar blue orb pattern.

Accept.

Seriously though, this run is amazing, Hurblat!  Congrats x100!
Master-88
I was verifer number one.

Congrartulations man. Let see can you keep this record your own or take Mike back his WR. Right now i think even Mike can,t beat this very soon.
Hail Discordia!
I admit I'm not monitoring the Contra scene closely, but who's Mr. K?
Is PJ
Mr. K invented Contra 3.
Willing to teach you the impossible
Mr. K is with Contra III is as I am with Super C
Edit history:
Hurblat: 2011-03-28 04:16:07 pm
Thanks to all the verifiers, and kudos to all of the community for doing what you do!
I'm very grateful for the acceptance.

This is my first speedrun, and the fact that it was accepted makes me very happy. I did put a lot of thought and practice into it.
I had audio commentary finished by the time I submitted the run, however I forgot to include it. Whoops.
Hopefully you'll find the commentary entertaining once the run hits the front page. Mr. K and I had fun recording it anyway.
There is also a Swedish commentary. Kanske inte lika många som uppskattar den dock Cheesy

Heidrage, PJ, MASTER-88: Thank you! I don't have a next project planned. Who knows?

Until it's posted, you can watch the run on YouTube:

If you have a weak stomach and/or heart, please disregard the following. This run is rated R.

Quote from Marko The Man:
-I think wall boss level 3 could be done in one round, but its might be really hard and requires  alot luck
-Rope boss level 4 could be one seconds faster
-There was stops end of the level 5, because runner have bad enemy locations.
-Taking S-weapon look like accident level 6.
Hyvää Ruotsi!
- The wall boss in stage 3 rarely does the double penetration attack that enables a one round kill. I haven't been able to figure out a way to provoke it.
- Picking up the S in stage 6 was a mistake, but it didn't waste any time since it does great damage up close.

Quote from HEMAN-88:
DAMN THIS RUN LOOK LIKE TAS.
DAMN THIS GUY SMELL LIKE LAKUPIIPPU.

Quote from Ukie Mayma:
AHHHHHHHHHHHH HOW DARE YOU SCREW THE MINIBOSS REJECT IN THE TRAILER. MESSED UP. 
Dude, I'm from Europe. Stuff's legal here.

Quote from UKIE!:
Anyway, the fourth boss is definitely the highlight of the run to me, especially since it's faster than I've ever done it.
This is my favorite part of the run as well. The one part I practiced the most on emulator was this fight, so I'm happy it paid off.

Quote from UKESTER:
whenever Hurblat screws up timing, it's because he shoots too early.
That's what my girlfriend says too Sad

Quote from Ukie Mayflower:
However, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. K (the PHD in Contra 3) found a couple of those time savers.
Actually by the time I contacted Mr. K most of the time savers were already there. K helped a lot with motivation and inspiration though.

Quote from 'Serious' Mike Uyama:
The only chance of it happening is if Mr. K finds a significant time saver, and even then, I'm not sure.
I was kind of nervous that the brain could be killed in three cycles, but Mr. K's research seems to show that four is minimum. The possibility of a three cycle kill would have been a heartbreaker Smiley I'm sure Mr. K will find more time savers. The question is how major they get.

Quote from Verifier #K:
Really I have nothing to add to your comments. Thanks for the support!

Quote from Verifier #4:
Seeing this run come up was a shocker.  A shocker like two in the pink and one in the stink.
I love you.

Quote from Awesome verifier, like Donkey Kong awesome:
Level two: Nice, and the boss got eye gouged, skull f*$%d and mega bonus points for humping his ass while he's exploding.
Level four: After the tank mini boss out of the tunnel, was he fapping in the corner?!
You've really noticed all the subtleties in this run. You'll probably enjoy the audio commentary Wink
My priorities when running the game were as follows (in order of decreasing importance): humping, fapping, posing, speed.
I should probably explain the incident at the stage 2 boss. My plan was to ask it out to dinner, but it refused.
I therefore proceeded to do what I had to do: grabbed it by its deformed legs, bent it over and did it dry.

So basically this run is verified by K and DK, OK?
Has to be the only time it's okay with decay..?

Här lägger vi en till mening på svenska så att amerikanerna kan få översätta den och inse sitt misstag.

Anyways, enough rambling. Go watch the run already!
General Kong - Bullets and Bananas
Quote from Hurblat:
Quote from Verifier #4:
Seeing this run come up was a shocker.  A shocker like two in the pink and one in the stink.
I love you.

And I love you too.

Quote from Hurblat:
Quote from Awesome verifier, like Donkey Kong awesome:
Level four: After the tank mini boss out of the tunnel, was he fapping in the corner?!
You've really noticed all the subtleties in this run. You'll probably enjoy the audio commentary Wink
My priorities when running the game were as follows (in order of decreasing importance): humping, fapping, posing, speed.
I should probably explain the incident at the stage 2 boss. My plan was to ask it out to dinner, but it refused.
I therefore proceeded to do what I had to do: grabbed it by its deformed legs, bent it over and did it dry.
Why thank you, I do consider myself Donkey Kong like, hence the name.  thumbsup  And definitely honorable mention for penetrating all the orifices of the level five boss too.

And your "did it dry" comment is hilarious considering my comment at the end of this, I was the last verifier.  And it's even for the same game. LOL.  This game just brings out the best in people.

But as it's been said, it's truly an amazing run Hurblat.  Uber Congratulations my Man!!! This will definitely go on my list of runs that I watch on the job when I don't feel like working.
Quote from DK28:
And your "did it dry" comment is hilarious
That's just me paying homage Wink Consider yourself a source of inspiration.

Quote from Heidrage:
Are you done with this game?
I don't think I am. There are still things left to do with it.
Another Swede of Speed? Smiley do you go by another nickname perhaps in swedish forums?
Guest1: Technically this is a Swederun Smiley I'm not registered in any Swedish forums. Not for gaming anyway.