List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Footlight Theater time save comparison using controller to do a dialogue skip

Edit history:
penta: 2015-07-27 03:03:47 pm
penta: 2015-07-27 03:02:14 pm
Referring to my last post, the dialogue can be achieved by doing the following:

Change your keyboard layout on windows to Spanish (Spain) and to open the menu press Fn+F12.

Spanish or French dialogues are potentially faster in Neptune's Bounty I'll do tests.

E: After I did the change once, the game started to accept the shortcut Fn+F12 even on my default kb layout. Maybe the spanish layout causes some kind of glitch in the game that can't be reversed. It's a guess though.

E2: All the languages appear to have the same speed of dialogues in Neptune's Bounty, although I found it easier to get faster times on spanish, could be just an impression. Anyway, it's a matter of a 2-3 seconds only
Nice find Penta (and Ser), Spanish + Fn+F12 didn't work for me but I messed around a bit and noticed why it does/doesn't work.

BioShock seems to have some hidden functionality bound to certain virtual key codes, not sure why. Any key that sends VK_VOLUME_UP (VirtualKey 0xAF) is a key that will allow you to open up the map/messages when you usually wouldn't be able to. There's also four keys that let you navigate various menus (diary messages, hacks, locks) without a mouse:

* VK_MEDIA_NEXT_TRACK (VirtualKey 0xB0) moves left
  * VK_MEDIA_PREV_TRACK (VirtualKey 0xB1) moves right
  * VK_MEDIA_STOP (VirtualKey 0xB2) moves up
  * VK_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE (VirtualKey 0xB3) moves down

Those four mostly useless, although if you press VK_MEDIA_PREV_TRACK twice you end up in the diary messages screen without having to move the mouse which would save a small amount of time for each diary skip. These are just standard keys available on most keyboards (not macros) without any modification, so I guess they're okay to use?
Edit history:
SIVIURFY: 2015-08-20 01:07:45 pm
It's Smurfy spelled "creatively"
Heres the new skip for the Electro Bolt cutscene

The skip works by picking up the plasmid and pausing at the same time, then save and reload. You should now be able to access your wrench and electro bolt. The game is now constantly trying to pull you back to the Gatherer's Garden to trigger the cutscene so you have to jump through the rest of the level.
Edit history:
penta: 2015-08-20 06:20:47 pm
penta: 2015-08-20 06:18:17 pm
penta: 2015-08-20 06:17:41 pm
Sorry for the late response Glurmo, I think it's more than fine, since we're only balancing hardware differences (kb with/out Fn key).

As for the amazing find SIVIURFY showed, controller isn't requiired because Fn+F11 works to open the menu in order to save the game (I think it stands for VK_VOLUME_DOWN, Glurmo can you confirm it?). I noticed it's a frame perfect press for me in which I have to press "E" (my key to interact) and "Fn+F11" at the exact same time, if either is pressed later than the other, the saving option goes dark.

Judgy made a video showing how to get rid of the weird movement:

The problem is, it uses the difficulty change from Easy to Hard to make the suicide possible. It saves 30-35 seconds from what I timed. Going with the weird movement all along, the skip saves about 10-15 seconds and can possibly make you lose time because it's easy to mess the movement.

How we will handle this?
Nice SIVIURFY! Makes me want to do a few runs again... but I haven't played the game for months so everything else will be bad.

Quote from penta:
controller isn't requiired because Fn+F11 works to open the menu in order to save the game (I think it stands for VK_VOLUME_DOWN, Glurmo can you confirm it?). I noticed it's a frame perfect press for me in which I have to press "E" (my key to interact) and "Fn+F11" at the exact same time, if either is pressed later than the other, the saving option goes dark.

Yeah, it is VK_VOLUME_DOWN that opens the pause menu, you can actually get the glitch on keyboard just using the standard pause key (escape) with the frame perfect press though.

If you suicide to fix the glitched movement can you still skip the theatre cutscene by breaking the lock (on PC) or does fixing the movement prevent you from being able to skip it again?
Edit history:
Judgy: 2015-08-21 07:09:04 am
Borderlands 2 Glitch Hunter/ router.
Quote from Glurmo:
If you suicide to fix the glitched movement can you still skip the theatre cutscene by breaking the lock (on PC) or does fixing the movement prevent you from being able to skip it again?

i'll test this now.

Edit: Saddly not, you can do the dialogue skip for the theatre but not keep your weapons because by finishing the cutscene the game gives you items it then takes away again. Sad looks like the derpy bunny hopping is the true time saver.
Edit history:
penta: 2015-08-21 09:24:04 am
penta: 2015-08-21 09:19:48 am
Not really Judgy, doing the bunny hopping is much slower than using the suicide method, at least for me. Somehow it makes me dizzy to do it too :p, I'd rather not.

Edit: Interesting how making your HP low before you do the glitch doesn't matter, you get healed after you enter into the glitch state.

Btw, I saw the thread you created on SDA Discussion Judgy and I was wondering if Any% could be a category where the difficulty change is allowed or difficulty change gets a separate category. I think 30 seconds too small of a save time to justify a different category.
Quote from penta:
Edit: Interesting how making your HP low before you do the glitch doesn't matter, you get healed after you enter into the glitch state.

yeah annoying that any damage before the save + Reload is healed Sad and yeah I find the suicide method easier and quicker but not sure it outweighs the time loss from not being able to break the lock instantly. :/
Edit history:
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 09:49:02 am
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 09:47:59 am
Quote from Judgy:
Edit: Saddly not, you can do the dialogue skip for the theatre but not keep your weapons because by finishing the cutscene the game gives you items it then takes away again. Sad looks like the derpy bunny hopping is the true time saver.

Damn :(, I was hoping there was going to be a way to still skip the theatre.

I tested from the wrench -> medical pavilion loadscreen, old way with the theatre diary skip was 5:38, tried 3 times with derpy bunnyhopping getting 4:59, 4:31 and 4:58. Looks like if you get lucky (or know what you're doing) the bunnyhopping stuff can save over a minute on PC.
Edit history:
penta: 2015-08-21 09:49:46 am
WOW, yeah, maybe with lots of practice.

With the suicide version I was able to save 46 seconds over my PB and I derped at the ending sequence. Both methods can save a good chunk, one takes more practice than the other.
Edit history:
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 10:46:11 am
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 10:11:57 am
I must be doing something really slow with the suicide method because I can only save around 20 seconds. If I do runs anytime I'll probably just use the derpy bunnyhops to get a time with the new glitches and hope I get lucky, it's definitely not something I'm going to practice.
Edit history:
Judgy: 2015-08-21 10:16:55 am
I think the only practice that can be done is finding optimal movement stratagies such as when jumping through the crashes plane if you look towards the tail of the plane and jump diagonally "W" +"D" or ("E" + "F" if you BT) you can get through a lot easier than attempting to jump purely forward up it. little things like that can save a big chunk of failed pulls backs.

Edit: also the trick of keeping the slicer alive at the elevator to help him push you in is a nice find by BT.
I was able to do the suicide method then the theatre skip with no problem getting the wrench back but im on xbox so maybe thats the difference. Also when the camera tilts my controls get completely flipped upside down and backwards.
Edit history:
Judgy: 2015-08-21 12:18:25 pm
Judgy: 2015-08-21 12:18:08 pm
Judgy: 2015-08-21 12:14:52 pm
did you save and load again ? in the theatre because each time i tried to do that I couldn't maybe cus i was using KB

Edit: also yes after the first blackout you controls become opposite forward = back etc etc i would assume due to the fact that the cutscene turns you arround before the fall and this is actually just flipping your camera around instead of your whole character ... it rights itself after passing through the electro bolt door though.
Edit history:
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 12:25:15 pm
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 12:24:11 pm
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 12:23:55 pm
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 12:23:40 pm
Glurmo: 2015-08-21 12:22:11 pm
The theatre/lock skip works differently (independent of the new glitch) on 360, for some reason the 360 version doesn't blank out the save option, Pabiloz found it last year but I could never replicate it on PC even with a controller:

Yeah Judgy I save and reload again. The controls mess up again later in the level when the cutscene reaches the point where you stand back up, luckily its just enough time for me to get in the elevator so it doesnt affect me.
Get over here!
Quote from penta:
Btw, I saw the thread you created on SDA Discussion Judgy and I was wondering if Any% could be a category where the difficulty change is allowed or difficulty change gets a separate category. I think 30 seconds too small of a save time to justify a different category.

By definition Any% is always the fastest route through any given game using any given method outside of cheating. I don't think using an ingame feature such as adjusting the difficulty should be considered cheating.
Edit history:
Judgy: 2015-08-22 03:26:50 am
Quote from Glurmo:
The theatre/lock skip works differently (independent of the new glitch) on 360, for some reason the 360 version doesn't blank out the save option, Pabiloz found it last year but I could never replicate it on PC even with a controller:

https://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=uaP5ZB6GmRE

Regardless of this I'm not willing to give up on this yet, mainly because I don't operate that way and I still think some things can be tested, so who know persistence might end up revealing the answer. (^_^)
wow, this is a really neat find.  i figured there had to be a way to skip this considering some of the skips in 2.  definitely looks like difficult movement to learn though.