<- 1  -   of 26 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Here's a little more info about it:
Didn't expect a 2014 release

Honestly not liking the look of it myself, but I'll play through it for sure.
All Story Levels [NG] - 0:49:46.90.
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-04-16 01:17:51 pm
Quite hyped for the new game as well.

Today I learned something new, if you level up while taking a core/shard, you can't do the duplication glitch. At least I think this is why while trying out routes I can never get the Hanging Garden dupe.

EDIT
Okay now I'm not so sure about the level up thing, though now I get less exp for before the Hanging Gardens, but I'm still leveling up though that might be the exp from the duped core.
Well if you do a quick search you would find a Bastion thread already made in the PC section. But the duplication glitch is done by using/interacting the core/shard 2 times in rapid succession. You would do this by binding the interact/use action to the mousewheel scroll and scroll really quickly when you are taking a core/shard.
Edit history:
moooh: 2013-04-16 01:13:25 pm
Exoray
Merged that lone thread with this one. The original question ended up 1 page back though.
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-04-16 04:42:56 pm
mazei: 2013-04-16 04:21:23 pm

Got it on video but I want to get sub 16:30, had some falls at Colford(as per usual). Its nice to know that my laptop could run Bastion and record at the same time though since I don't have access to my desktop right now =/

EDIT
Here's the video
Quote from mazei:
Today I learned something new, if you level up while taking a core/shard, you can't do the duplication glitch. At least I think this is why while trying out routes I can never get the Hanging Garden dupe.

You can't get it if it level you up.  The same reason you can't get a dupe in Mount Zand. It's because some kind of animation plays that causes loss of control of the kid.

I don't run NG Any% but the few times I have, I leveled up on the black tonic that's a little bit before the core area. You should be fine if you pick up all the black tonic and health tonics in melting pot.
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-04-17 02:19:52 am
Well I've been trying to figure out how to remove Melting Pot from the route but I'm afraid there is nothing else that can compare to the current route. Using the normal route I would level up during Melting Pot after killing the first Scumbag.
The only time leveling affects whether or not you can duplicate the core/shard is if the exp from the first core causes the level. If you don't level off of the first one then you're fine.

Also I currently have a 14:45 any% ng+. That is easily beatable at this point all it would take is a good day of attempts.
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-05-01 03:37:45 pm
mazei: 2013-05-01 12:51:47 pm
mazei: 2013-05-01 12:08:47 pm

Late split at Colford

Still streaming attempts but got sub-16:30, I'll get the video up here once I'm done streaming attempts for today. btw, my stream is twitch.tv/mazei513

EDIT
Here's the run
http://www.twitch.tv/mazei513/c/2230429

That screw up at the end just devastated me
Hey.. Started running this NG+ any%! Wanted a game to run, but couldn't find one I enjoyed! But after a full play through of bastion I loved it, so I looked into speedrunning it. I pretty much just copied the run everyone does, and practice that. Im wondering a little bit about weapons.. Seen people kill the queen thing in Roathus Lagoon on the first pop-up. I always need two (tried mortar and musket with different upgrades) is it somewhat based on crit luck as well?

Also, after Burstone Quarry, when you return to the Bastion, you're supposed to walk to the skybridge only to kill yourself in the next area, what's the deal with that? I'm assuming it is because you need to get INSIDE the bastion before dying? Sorry for my lack of knowledge about the levels and storyline, like I said; I played the whole game casually like 6 months ago. Just picked it up and started practicing the newest route out there. Smiley
oh and the mouse movement stuff.. Is it clicking and rolling at the same time, or just the fact that you move with left mouse button? I use mouse to move (hold down left button and 'aim') and space to roll.
Ok first off welcome! It's great to have new people!

Second, when its comes to killing queen anne in one cycle it takesone pike attack then a musket shot then two pike attacks provided you have the correct upgrades (which would be the left side of both weapons). You have to make sure you get the first hit in quickly though so that the last hit doesn't miss though. I don't know what is done with the mortar because I don't use it.

Yes you have to die inside of the bastion after Burstone Quarry. Dying outside respawns you outside of the bastion and does not lead into the cutscene.

Finally, when rolling all that matters is that you are using the mouse for movement. You do not have to click then roll or hold it down. All that matters is that you are in fact using the mouse for movement.
Thanks a lot for the response... Tried to read through the thread, but there's so much information, and old information.. I'm going to play around with this game a lot more, get more familiar with the details on my own as well.. Grin

I've only ran a few full runs, currently at 19:15 NG+ any% haha Grin Need to practice the jumps(skips?).. I screw those up so much!
Yeah a lot of different strategies and routes through levels have been discussed (and sometimes not discussed) which can make it difficult to discern what is current and what isn't. If you ever have any questions though feel free to ask and someone should be able to answer.

Practice makes perfect! 19:15 is not a bad time to start with either. The jumps are for the most part what gets screwed up the most but all it really takes is getting really comfortable with the movement inside of the game.
I'll just mention the #bastion channel on the SpeedRunsLive irc. Most Bastion runners are in there regularly. Not much discussion happens but if you want a quick answer I'm sure somebody will help. You can also bug Incalex if you want your times posted on the Bastion leaderboards. Welcome and good luck! Smiley

Leaderboards are actually outdated at the moment... I'll let Alex know next time I see him Wink
With mouse movement your roll movement speed is added to your walking speed instead of replacing it. If you roll without also holding down the mouse to move you will do a normal roll, which can be potentially helpful if a fast roll would make you go fast enough to fall off the level before it forms.
Hey, I haven't been around in a while, been busy with college and other boring real-life stuff.  Glad to see a new face or two in the game.  And gratz to mazei on the wr.  I haven't played in a little while but I might come back to it this summer and try to get a successful ng+ any% run.

Anyways, I updated the spreadsheet, let me know if there's anything else outdated or incorrect.  Also, if anyone else wants permission to update the spreadsheet, just send me a message here or on steam and I'll hook you up.  Keep running!
Edit history:
Lawyer Dog: 2013-06-12 03:57:35 pm
There's a couple changes to the New Game All Story Levels route since the 49:46 record, hopefully I'll eventually get a run with them in it. I think the changes save roughly 15 seconds, and something like 15 seconds can also be saved by just playing optimally.

Distillery is built second instead of third. Werewhiskey can save a few seconds on Melting Pot and Werewhiskey is now the only spirit gotten, so it's still only one trip to the distillery. It's second instead of first because the first building you make you can immediately roll away from without the little fist pump animation, and this is wasted if you have to enter the building. Building order after Arsenal -> Distillery doesn't matter.

Pike Vault is not gotten anymore. Grenades save a ton of time in a few levels, and it costs a lot of time to switch to Pike Vault.

Colford Cauldron's first barricade skip is harder without Pike Vault, but you can still get past it in about as much time.

Burstone Quarry is harder and requires killing more enemies and doing a little bit more of the level, but the tradeoff is you can activate Werewhiskey by the time you get to Lunky, and you can hit him with Werewhiskey Grenades.

In Urzendra Gate you can hit burrowed Rattle-tails with Grenades, making the last segment faster by ~2 seconds.

In Zulten's Hollow you can use grenades to kill some debris faster.

For Tazal Terminals, the Ura boss you fight in the circular arena you activate Werewhiskey before going in, hit him with a Pike once, lock on, throw a Grenade, and then throw a second Grenade. You don't want to move at all for this fight until he's dead, he will follow a pattern that keeps you perfectly safe until he dies from the second grenade if you do it right.
Edit history:
Lawyer Dog: 2013-06-15 07:21:41 am
NG ASL 49:38, gonna be working to beat it as I practice more for Seamergency.

Edit: NG ASL 49:28
NG ASL 49:21

I'm going to be running Bastion for the Seamergency marathon at 11PM PDT(UTC-7) on Saturday, June 29th. https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/shark_stream_2013__seamergency.html
Grats LD, I updated the leaderboard.  Good luck at the marathon!
Edit history:
Lawyer Dog: 2013-06-30 02:43:51 am
Lawyer Dog: 2013-06-30 02:42:11 am
Lawyer Dog: 2013-06-27 01:16:37 am
Lawyer Dog: 2013-06-27 01:16:17 am
oops new record NG ASL 49:11. This is probably as low as this will go unless other people start running this category again. I am going to be done with Bastion for a while after Seamergency.

Edit: Run could go to around 48:40 with a near perfect run.
Edit history:
Lawyer Dog: 2013-07-11 02:07:31 am
Planning on making a Knowledge Base page for Bastion. Did a stream of walking through NG ASL that should cover everything except some of the specifics of any% and NG+. I also tried to cover all the NG+ routes that aren't just easier versions of the NG routes. http://www.twitch.tv/lawyerdogsr/c/2558534
Gonna cut it down to individual levels later for posting on a Knowledge Base page.