Sad
<- 1  -   of 26 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames

here ya go!
I think it might be caused by lag. It is taking you almost 4 seconds more for the game to start after clicking continue. I had the same issue before when trying to stream and record at the same time. Does the same thing happen if you are running just Bastion and a timer?
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-01-09 07:50:31 pm
mazei: 2013-01-09 07:50:00 pm
mazei: 2013-01-09 07:40:30 pm
mazei: 2013-01-09 07:37:48 pm
Yeah, still 17/18 seconds, though probably had some other thing hogging stuff. Hmmmm....I'll try playing it without anything else running next time I try, else I guess new computer time =P

EDIT
HAHAHAHA, I figured it out, Vsync. I turned it off just as I do in every other game, silly me.

EDIT2
Okay, got 3:34 on Wharf District with mistakes, died before first fountain and took the gun first after respawn -.- missed the first swing for the skip as well. Though it feels promising since its still close to ClockworkSeal's split on it =D
Hey guys,

I'm a new one, too. I just recently got into speedrunning and started my first Bastion run the day before yesterday (Any%), and today i got 19:01, which I think is a quite good time considering I'm totally new here, and only watched some speedruns on twitch.
I didn't start recording my runs yet, but I think I will as soon as I practice my runs a bit more, since I often fail at the jumps and some other things.
Welp just found a softlock.

Missed the double core on wharf and had this route:
Workmen -> Melting Pot -> Cinderbrick
So now I have to build something on the foundation but there's nothing to build =/
Yeah any% allows for a lot of soft locks. Fortunately there is only one that can happen if the route isn't messed up.
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-01-10 07:02:15 pm
mazei: 2013-01-10 07:02:12 pm
mazei: 2013-01-10 07:02:12 pm
mazei: 2013-01-10 07:00:41 pm
Well afaik for now, never go Cinderbrick as the second/third place, softblock occurs that way, happened again =(

Got a full run down for NG any%, sadly when I was pressing my split button, I hit the stop button next to it...I should change my keys

EDIT

WOOOO! Got a sub-18, sadly not on video. Time differences are compared to ClockworkSeal's run, I used his route. Screwed up Colford Cauldron quite a bit, died once even, though I expected it since I kinda hate that place.

Edit history:
Red_Buddha: 2013-01-10 07:05:41 pm
Red_Buddha: 2013-01-10 07:05:19 pm
Nice! Nvm that should have known. I'm not too well versed in new game but It's an improvement. I think I might try a run or two of it just to see how I do.
new game =)
Edit history:
Red_Buddha: 2013-01-10 08:10:13 pm
Yeah I'm going to stream some attempts of both new game and new game + any%. If you would like to watch: http://www.twitch.tv/redbuddha

So much for that idea. My computer barely held up for one run. Sad
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-01-11 11:47:21 am
I'm just trying out a different NG route, basically just following the NG+ route because I feel getting mines isn't worth going through Melting Pot. Workmen is still fast with just whirlwind, maybe just 5 seconds lost at most, then Roathus, 2 cycle don't kill from my first run on it, Burstone is the slight problem though, not sure if its faster than going through Melting Pot, haven't timed it, but something like about 5-6 jumps from the boss, and he should die, probably could do better if I set up for Werewolf spirit. I'll just try out to see how fast this goes.

EDIT
Just tried the route, got 18:00, and I don't think I could get something like 30 seconds off of it
Melting Pot and Burstone Quarry take about the same time on new game +. Melting Pot should be faster on new game simply because of the skips you can't do in Burstone and the fact that you have to die twice afterwards rather than once. Plus trip mine does save quite a bit of time because there isn't much else that can deal as much damage as it.
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-01-11 02:50:46 pm
Yeah the cutscene after Burstone Quarry just kills the time I feel, else it would be a good alternative.

EDIT
god damnit.....i keep getting -30 splits....and in the end, fails a double shard =.=
I've been failing it quite a lot recently. My computer just won't stop lagging every time I record or stream.
that's it screw it for today, failing double core/shards left and right
I'm a scrubby noob
For funny softlock that killed some of my runs :
Ura's attack, if you instantly die after using the skyway to the monument (during the attack), you can't do anything and it don't trigger the event like "ura's beaten you then leave". You can reset here Cheesy
The level before Tazal terminals, an Ura killed me when I was talking to Zia, so the Bastion level before going to Tazal was ... a beautiful black screen with overlay ... cost me 3 min, when I had -1:30 :'(, finding the skyway without the map is really hard.
If somes of you are interessed racing that game, I'll be on SRL's IRC every night (6-7pm to 1am GMT +1).
And good luck for the new ones, and good job Red Buddha for the NG+ any% record Cheesy
Quote:
For funny softlock that killed some of my runs :
Ura's attack, if you instantly die after using the skyway to the monument (during the attack), you can't do anything and it don't trigger the event like "ura's beaten you then leave". You can reset here Cheesy

Yeah, that's what killed some of my runs, too.
I managed to improve my NG+ any% runs, with my new record of 16:36(screenshot below) , but still failing the jumps sometimes.. Unfortunately, I won't have much time to improve in the next months because of exams and some other stuff.

Btw, did someone already test if the game gets much slower when having subtitles activated? Because I didn't turn them off yet, as you can see in my screenshot.

OMG LOL, I had a -31.6 split at after colford, at the bastion, i selected zia's conversation by mistake hahahahahaha, still a better record though for NG

the splits compared to my previous time

current splits

So minus the conversations and 4 times falling off the world, a sub-17 is possible for NG I feel
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-01-13 08:29:39 pm
mazei: 2013-01-13 08:29:24 pm
mazei: 2013-01-13 07:35:39 pm
Got it! WOOOOO! Did a sub-17 on video, uploading it to youtube right now.

finally up, some encoding problems, audio video not synced even after all that...oh well, still a video

splits
Not bad! There is definitely time still to be saved, but that was a pretty solid run. I'd like to see if it's possible to make the new game time within a minute of new game + or at least really close to it. By the way, the most common time of when people hit each split is as soon as the next level is chosen. It doesn't really matter when you do it but it is a lot easier to compare times if everyone does it the same.
Edit history:
mazei: 2013-01-14 04:32:54 am
mazei: 2013-01-14 04:03:03 am
alright will do that the next time

and yeah, a few deaths here and there, and me being scared as hell of Caulford as usual. Maybe should see it could go down another 10 seconds first, then we'll see if that run has a ton of mistakes as well or not.

some comments on the run, I feel like Melting Pot times might be affected by lag from hitting enemies. like when you hit enemies there is that short, probably .2 seconds or something of a slowdown during the hit. I'm not sure if this affects anything but just putting it out there, what do you guys think?

an initial test, I just went to melting pot, did a run hitting as much stuff as I can, then tried again and just fell out of the world and didn't get up(so nothing hits me, I hit nothing), there isn't a difference in time as far as I can see from hitting or not hitting.
Caelondian Mason
I've decided to give speed running Bastion another shot, going to do All story levels NG+; if anyone has any tips they'll be much appreciated Cheesy
Edit history:
OBJ: 2013-01-15 12:22:47 am
Hey, since there's been a little spike in interest, I went ahead and updated the spreadsheet.  I also added a leaderboard for fun.  Check it out: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aukvn1VrKwqMdHRDRnJEN1ZOTEdnaVk0UzdDU2s4a1E#gid=1

I put in all the times and info I could find, let me know if anything is wrong or if there's a run I missed.  Also, let me know if you can't view the spreadsheet.  Keep up the good runs!
You have new game + any% labeled as all story levels. Also my new game any% time is 17:35 and new game is 54:44. I don't have videos of either though.
the twitch stream wasn't saved under past broadcasts?