--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2016-01-29 07:35:08 pm
Cool Matty: 2016-01-29 06:59:34 pm
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Hey everyone, now that AGDQ2016 is over and the feedback thread is up, it’s time to start talking about the future. As the first of a series of threads GDQ will have over the coming months, we just want to take a moment and thank everyone for their input and assistance with the events. We’ve grown a great deal since the days of Mike’s basement at Classic Games Done Quick.

The topic of this discussion is “What charities should we consider for AGDQ2017 and beyond?” There’s a large number of fantastic charities out there, and we’ve also built up an amazing rapport with our current charities. We know that everyone will have some specific charity in mind, so this discussion might take a while, and that’s fine. We’re providing a list of charities that our staff have looked at closely in interest, as a starting point, but it should not be seen as an exhaustive list. That said, if you make a recommendation, make sure to keep in mind the following:

Reach - Charities should be US national at the minimum, with international charities being preferred. They must have a US presence for us to work with them easily.
Rating - Not the end-all of selecting charities, but remember to investigate charity ratings and their finances. https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities is a good start. You can also browse http://www.charitynavigator.org/
Impact - There’s a lot of great causes out there, but if the charity is too specific or unknown, it may not reach a large audience. Humanitarian and health are the best categories to look at.
Politics - Try to avoid charities that may have strong political ties. It should be a cause that most people feel comfortable supporting.
Size - Although not critical, smaller charities stand to benefit more from our fundraisers.

We should point out that there is one charity that we are going to take off the table immediately: Doctors Without Borders. They are a fantastic charity, but we already have an event (SGDQ) for them. We do not expect to change that relationship anytime soon.

It’s important for GDQ to be varied and maximize its reach. It gives potential donors a choice, and also avoids us being lumped into “that DWB event”. Furthermore, there’s a strong concern that one event might end up cannibalizing the other. Holding two events for the same charity could be a high risk. It could damage the impact and reach GDQ has. It could also eliminate opportunities for our community to run and volunteer, when an event shrinks from lack of interest.

Otherwise, the discussion is open-ended. Our goal is to narrow down the options with the community. From there, we can reach out to the charities we’re interested in, pitch our fundraiser to them, and see where it goes from there!

As for our starting picks, this is what the staff has come up with so far.

Prevent Cancer Foundation
http://preventcancer.org/
Cancer has a huge impact.
Still on CharityWatch’s Top-Rated list (B+).
They are expanding internationally, read more here: http://preventcancer.org/our-work/our-global-reach/
Long-term relationship, in the DC area.

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
http://www.nami.org/
A- on CharityWatch
Mental illnesses have a large impact worldwide.
Is national, but may be able to negotiate something outside the USA. Also headquartered in DC area.
Does not have a large amount of existing funding, so would benefit greatly from GDQ.

Charity: water
https://www.charitywater.org/
Rating of A on CharityWatch.
Global impact
Is a humanitarian effort similar to DWB.

Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF)
http://www.jdrf.org/
Rating of A- on CharityWatch
Global impact, international charity
Good for those looking to fund a cure.
Already has a great deal of funding, GDQ may not make a large impact.

Brain & Behavior Research Foundation
https://bbrfoundation.org/
Rating of A on CharityWatch
Mental illnesses have a large impact worldwide
Primarily funds research, which has global benefit
Is national, but may be able to negotiate something outside of the USA.
Does not have a large amount of existing funding, so would benefit from GDQ.
Thread title:  
NAMI or Charity: water would be my picks, definitely.
When I came for RPG Limit Break last year (another live marathon), we had NAMI as our charity, and a chapter representative from the state came and gave a short spiel before the event. I also did a run for the event and was also able to share personal insights about my own mental illnesses and struggles as well as overcoming them thanks to therapies and the like during the run, making it more personable to me. Granted, this was a smaller marathon space and easier to probably do in that setting than a larger charity, but I feel much more connected as a result.

I would go with either NAMI or BBRFoundation, since they seem to have the greatest benefit from us and both go towards funding mental illness and have potential for global growth.
Seconding NAMI or BBRFoundation. It's really personal to me too and I'd imagine a number of other people.
Edit history:
Mr_Shasta: 2016-01-29 07:16:19 pm
Charity:Water gets my seal of approval. It's the charity me and others will be raising money for in Californithon on March 25-27 and they've been very supportive of the event. Back when I was in high school they also had fundraisers every year, so I'm familiar with their work too.
i don't see anything wrong with being "that DWB event"
Edit history:
Cronikeys: 2016-01-30 04:34:39 pm
I'd like to throw in World Wildlife Fund. They have an excellent rating and give generously to fundraising events. It would also provide the opportunity to take a certain Super Metroid bidding war to the next level.

http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/b/320030817
[EDIT: since this was deleted after I posted it here is the new link: http://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/38099941?t=1h26m35s]

http://www.worldwildlife.org/
Call it.
Lot of good potential charities suggested, and I'm really glad that you've responded some to feedback, Matty. My personal suggestion would be a charity like NAMI or the WWF. If I can recommend it, the website Charity Watch is a good tool for finding out how much of the money a given charity makes actually winds up helping those in need. Take care, man. https://www.charitywatch.org/top-rated-charities
Stay Swampy
There's nothing wrong with being associated with Doctors Without Borders. I don't see how having two charity events half a year apart would bring damage to a world renowned organization. Otherwise, Chairty: water is an amazing organization dedicated to directly affecting the lives of millions of people in impoverished areas. Plus 100% of public donations directly fund water projects, something that others charities (especially PCF) don't do. Water born illnesses kill over 1.5 million people each year, so this charity is directly and immediately saving lives. They do more than put out pamphlets. 
Edit history:
z1mb0bw4y: 2016-01-29 07:52:43 pm
z1mb0bw4y: 2016-01-29 07:52:31 pm
Gets the cake.
Quote from lurk:
i don't see anything wrong with being "that DWB event"

edit: as someone personally affected by cancer, I feel like DWB has better international reach and impact than PCF. I don't see a problem with supporting a cancer-related charity, but I think that a charity that actively supports areas currently facing crisis has the edge in my book. I think it's disappointing that the staff dismisses this option by default.
I just want to reiterate what I posted in the feedback thread.

IF cancer prevention/treatment/cure is chosen again as the focus, you can support PCF and another charity like:

Cancer Research Institute
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3417#.VqwjVbIrLIX
http://www.cancerresearch.org/
"Partnering with Other Nonprofits to Maximize Impact"

You can spread awareness and prevention education through advertisements on screen, while the money goes towards better research programs for not only prevention but treatment and cures as well. It's a win win for everyone.
NowOwnsAFreaking Plane
Charity: Water also gets a large seal of approval from me.  When you have lived in an area that always has had clean water, you don't realize how difficult it can be.  When you've lived in a small village without running water or electricity as I have, you have no idea how hard getting safe drinking water is and what that continual worry of getting sick from bad water feels like.  Buying just two gallons of safe water cost $6 where I was, which really is a much larger amount than you would think on a low income.  Carrying water in buckets from the river back to the house is hard work several times a day.  A single water filter changed a lot.  Simple stuff like that saves lives.  But, I'm obviously biased here.
I strongly support having separate charities for the two events.
Reasons for AGDQ and SGDQ to have different charities include:
1. Variety for donors and viewers between the events.
2. Some distinct personality for AGDQ and SGDQ.
3. Experimentation and exploration; better understanding for GDQ of what is performing well, and what is available.
4. Some stability and ease during times of changing one of the charities (especially if one charity becomes problematic).
5. Avoiding having one charity gain so much influence and control over GDQ; avoiding GDQ being more of a charity's property than a community's.
6. Avoiding having GDQ staff resembling the charity's staff too much (this is especially a threat to the community and event).
7. Maintaining a mindset that charities also have to be competitive; GDQ needs competitive charities for it also to be competitive.
8. Keeping GDQ as it's own entity, and not being known as "that MSF event" or some other charity's event. (what Matty said)
9. Spreading support around; helping the world in more than one way.
A quick update:

What zeronin said is definitely all valid regarding MSF and us. They're great but there's a lot of reasons to avoid putting all the eggs in one basket.

One thing I'll point out about Charity: water, personally is the "100% public donations" seems to be mostly marketing to me. They have operations costs, and whether it's paid privately or publicly, it's still coming from donations. It's something that looks great on paper, but doesn't really matter when you look at it dollar for dollar. The operation costs are going to be from donations no matter what, so does it really matter where they take it from?
in that mindset, it seems to imply that DWB would never be the charity of choice for AGDQ specifically (or PCF for SGDQ), despite that event typically bringing in more donations than SGDQ.
Gets the cake.
If we are certainly discounting DWB/MSF on the grounds of "we don't want to be the DWB/MSF event", then I guess I'll toss my vote in WWF's box. I still disagree with that reasoning, however.
to clarify, i understand that changing SGDQ17's charity isn't an option. if you then have AGDQ17 also be for DWB, you feel it might become stale and you'll bring in less donations. however, i feel like DWB has a larger international focus that is already working and would be more encouraging than cancer prevention in the US. i also feel that people are excited to donate to AGDQ not because the charity is PCF, but because it's apart of twitch culture.

perhaps maybe AGDQ18 could have DWB as the beneficiary? discussion for another time? unless what i posted above is true.
It has nothing to do with which charity gets which event. We could in theory have DWB for AGDQ at some point later on. However, I also want to point out that SGDQ may not always be the "smaller" event, and in fact is even getting a similar cap size as AGDQ for this year.
Formerly known as Skullboy
I may be in the minority on this but I think PCF is still the best way to go for AGDQ. We have a great working relationship with them, they are local to where we have the marathon (if we stay in the DCish area and I hope we do.), and there is a lot of good that could come from continuing to support them. I know that there are a lot of questions about what the money goes for and that people get killing cancer and preventing cancer mixed up but with better communication, advertisement, and work on both our ends and PCF's, we can continue to do good. If PCF is starting a good international reach program that makes things even better. I realize that "cancer prevention in the US" does not necessarily bring in as much interest from international viewers but (and I am admittedly biased here) when someone you know and are close to has cancer or even a cancer scare, prevention (and treatment, which we could also look at) becomes very important.
Why did you delete that video I linked?
Stay frosty my friends!
I'm putting my vote toward charity: water.

1. Impact. Cancer affects millions. So does mental health. Fresh drinking water affects everyone and many people may not even consider it while taking clean water for granted. The charity raises awareness of the issue and actively works to fix it.

2. International reach. We have people all over the world watching the event and they want to donate money to a cause that affects more than just the United States. Mention the global outreach and we'll have more donations faster than you can say greetings from Germany.
This is not the giant
Quote from EvenSteven02:
I'm putting my vote toward charity: water.

1. Impact. Cancer affects millions. So does mental health. Fresh drinking water affects everyone and many people may not even consider it while taking clean water for granted. The charity raises awareness of the issue and actively works to fix it.

2. International reach. We have people all over the world watching the event and they want to donate money to a cause that affects more than just the United States. Mention the global outreach and we'll have more donations faster than you can say greetings from Germany.

Wording this so hard
Edit history:
AlecK47: 2016-01-29 09:47:10 pm
AlecK47: 2016-01-29 09:45:37 pm
First off, there isn't a single bad choice on that list.  There will always be more excellent charities in more areas of need than GDQ will be able to benefit even if every single event benefited a different charity.  I would be fine with any of the ones currently listed.

I was at both Crystals for Life events, in addition to being on the RPGLB team, and my experiences with both NAMI and JDRF are almost entirely positive.  And as regards NAMI, I am among multitudes who have struggled with depression, which is something many probably don't realize NAMI helps with.

That said, I think I'd slightly favor NAMI for two reasons.  First of course that I have experience with them, but more importantly:
Quote from Cool Matty:
Does not have a large amount of existing funding, so would benefit greatly from GDQ.

I'll finish with an aside.  In regards to the non-international organizations (I'm including PCF here for the time being), they all fund research.  And as Isaac Asimov said, "There is a single light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere."
Cronikeys: you linked to a broadcast file, it probably expired. All our past broadcasts are on the VOD URL now.
Quote from Cool Matty:
Cronikeys: you linked to a broadcast file, it probably expired. All our past broadcasts are on the VOD URL now.

It was up when I posted it.