--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Omnigamer: 2015-11-21 09:30:39 pm
Omnigamer: 2015-11-21 09:27:37 pm
All the things
With the schedule now out and most runs and runners resolved, it's time to drill into some of the finer details of needs for particular runs. Most runs won't hit any of the points below, but absolutely make sure you think through whether or not you need to bring something up. Please go through the following bolded lines and consider whether or not any of them apply to your run(s).

==========================================================

I need a special console to play my game.

Special consoles and games are defined as:

-PAL-region consoles and games
-Unusual consoles (Not one of the following: NES, SNES, Gameboy / GBA, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Sega Genesis, PS1/PS2, PS3, 360)
-Supergun/Arcade games
-Modded consoles or games
-Region-locking issues, i.e your game only works on a Japanese-region console
-You require a flash cart to play your game for whatever reason

I am a PC runner with unusual requirements.

Unusual is defined as:

-You need special drivers or hardware [Motion in Joy will NOT be allowed, alternative PS3 drivers available]
-You need to play the game on your personal computer/laptop
-Your game cannot be copied via USB or installed via Steam
-Your game has known problems running on Windows 8.1 and needs workarounds (provide details if available)
-Your game cannot run in windowed mode OR at 1080p/720p
-Your game requires a special network setup of any kind beyond regular internet access
-Your game requires administrative privileges to run (VERY RARE)
-Your PC commonly has electronic cooties and would probably infect our machines if you brought the game on USB

I want to do something special with my run.

Such as:

-Developer commentary
-Hand cams
-Gimmicky music/sounds/graphics on stream, etc. (We will not accept all requests, you need to sell us on it really hard)
-Special commentary setups (a la Super Metroid race at AGDQ2014)
-I am doing blindfolded/other trick category that would benefit from technical assistance
-I have an incentive that requires a Game Genie or other device

If you hit on any of the points listed above, please let us know. If you have any other concerns about your game or run from a setup standpoint that aren't listed above, also please bring it up with us. This can be done by posting in this thread, sending me or TestRunner a PM here on SDA, or sending me (@TheOmnigamer) or TestRunner (@Test_Runner) a DM on Twitter. The goal from all of this is to make sure we can be as prepared as possible for each game and to keep things moving smoothly.

Here are a few things that are NOT special requirements:

-I need a laggy TV because I use a laggy setup at home. (Go get a CRT for free on Craigslist, we cannot possibly hope to match the same lag you have at home, and the delay in setup is not fair to other runners)
-I can't bring my game. (Go buy it or arrange someone to bring it for you. If you don't have it at the time of your run, your game is cut)
-I can't bring my controller. (Bring it or arrange someone else to. Every runner has a controller they prefer. We will not likely have any controllers you will want to use on hand.)
-I need a bigger TV than provided. (Sit closer)
-I need a smaller TV than provided. (Sit further away)
Thread title:  
DS Dictator
Game: Shadow Complex for Xbox 360

Solution, I can bring in my USB external hard drive that has both the game and gamertag and connect it to any Xbox 360.
If the Xbox 360 I am using did purchase the game then I don't need an internet connection.
If the Xbox 360 I am using did not purchase the game then I need an internet connection to bypass the trial version barrier by signing to my account online (no download full game necessary as my hard drive will have the game stored).

twitch.tv/letterswords
Game: Dragon Age Origins

I'm going to need to use a disc version of the game to be able to get on the unpatched version of the game (Steam/Origin go to latest patch automatically and there's no way, as far as I know, to go back to the patch I need). I'll either bring a disc copy or something on a USB to install it myself. Also, I have to save and quit a few times during the run so I probably will need to be set up to play in windowed mode (and be aware for capturing purposes that I'll be on the desktop?)
Pudding%
Game: Hero Core

This is mostly for those who are making the layouts, but Hero Core uses a 1:1 aspect ratio (400 x 400 resolution). Full screen is VERY preferable due to it being a bit difficult playing at that small of a resolution.
I don't have a Windows 8.1 machine to test it out on, though I think my roommate's machine has it. I'll get back to you on that.
Edit history:
dailymc: 2015-11-22 12:07:10 pm
dailymc: 2015-11-22 12:07:09 pm
dailymc: 2015-11-22 12:04:59 pm
dailymc: 2015-11-22 11:55:28 am
dailymc: 2015-11-22 11:54:26 am
dailymc: 2015-11-22 11:52:29 am
dailymc: 2015-11-22 11:50:56 am
Game: Left 4 Dead 2 for PC

A router/switch/hub will be needed for four computers to communicate with each other so that 3 computers can connect to the 1 hosting the game server. Port forwarding, or any other special software on the networking hardware won't be needed of course because it's being run on a LAN.

Also the runners are interested in having sprays for in-game. I can't say what because I don't know, but I'm sure they would be willing to tell you.

(Last edit I swear!) It was brought up to my attention the most important thing. Four PCs capable of running the game. I don't think bringing their own PCs would be too much of a problem if needed.
Quote from Greenalink:
I can bring in my USB external hard drive that has both the game and gamertag and connect it to any Xbox 360.

This is fine, just make sure this is setup sometime before your run.

Quote from letterswords:
I'll either bring a disc copy or something on a USB to install it myself. Also, I have to save and quit a few times during the run so I probably will need to be set up to play in windowed mode

As with all PC runs, make sure you install and test it well before your run on the stream PCs. Windowed mode is fine, but try to avoid moving the window when the run starts since it'll mess up the capture cropping.

Quote from Dragondarch:
This is mostly for those who are making the layouts, but Hero Core uses a 1:1 aspect ratio (400 x 400 resolution). Full screen is VERY preferable due to it being a bit difficult playing at that small of a resolution.

We'll put your game on the 4:3 layout. We won't stretch, it'll be letterboxed. Fullscreen at that resolution shouldn't be an issue, although if for whatever reason it does, maybe you could see if a program like ShiftWindow to resize the would work. This would just be as a fallback.

Quote from dailymc:
A router/switch/hub will be needed for four computers to communicate with each other so that 3 computers can connect to the 1 hosting the game server. Port forwarding, or any other special software on the networking hardware won't be needed of course because it's being run on a LAN.

Also the runners are interested in having sprays for in-game. I can't say what because I don't know, but I'm sure they would be willing to tell you.

(Last edit I swear!) It was brought up to my attention the most important thing. Four PCs capable of running the game. I don't think bringing their own PCs would be too much of a problem if needed.

We'll can provide an LAN/Internet connection for your machines. Sprays would have to be approved, so make sure you run them by us first.

4 PCs is a bit of an issue. We would have to move practice PCs in which is really not ideal. We generally provide only 2 PCs, so I'd recommend bringing in 2 of your own so that you and other runners could at least practice. Laptops are usually preferred because of physical space and setup time, but we can work with desktops if that's what you have. Since your run is particularly complicated, it is imperative that things are tested and ready before your run starts to avoid a 30 minute setup between runs.

Also we will only be capturing two PCs (of the two we provide). So you should also figure out who you want to have their games on the stream. Thus, the PCs you provide do not have to be capture ready. Also our current audio setup cannot properly handle 4 runner commentators (same for 4 way races). So you should decide which two of you will be commentating.

Let us know what you guys decide to bring in.
(I'm posting this on Yashichi's behalf because hes banned from the forums. Can we get this fixed?)

The Left 4 Dead 2 runners were thinking on two possible sprays: either their sprays were going to spoil the end of Fallout 4, or they were going to be pictures of dogs dressed up as airplanes. What do you think they should go with?
Edit history:
Cool Matty: 2015-11-22 04:12:10 pm
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
I don't know the circumstances behind Yashichi's ban so I can't unban him. For all I know it was something non-GDQ related.

Can you post the images?

Also, another factor for bringing your own machines: since there's two practice machines, you'd still need two more if you want to practice at the event outside of the event room.
Edit history:
dailymc: 2015-11-22 04:23:27 pm
(Again on Yashi's behalf. Can we get it figured out then? It is kinda important he be able to talk, hes IN the marathon.)

Potential sprays:

Unable to find another dog dressed as a plane picture, here is the current placeholder until we find another one.

EDIT!! WE FOUND ONE!
This is not the giant
Game: Devil May Cry 3/4

3 has an insane amount of technical issues so I'll be running it on my own computer where I've managed to eliminate most of those issues. I might need to wear headphones (which I can supply myself) during the run as audio cues are extremely important for timing attacks and I might not hear them over a loud stream room. Calling for "serious time" won't work because I need constant consistent audio.
Edit history:
JRP2234: 2015-11-22 08:08:42 pm
Game: Metroid Fusion

All my equipment is in pal format,  I am not sure what to do when I am up for my run because I have only have a pal GameCube and australian Game Boy Player disc. Would I need to borrow any ntsc hardware or would the crt tv's support pal?
Game: Shovel Knight

The developers at Yacht Club Games are available for commentary if we'll have them. 
Edit history:
Studio: 2015-11-22 08:23:48 pm
Game: Iji

Windows 8.1 slows the game to a crawl, so I have 2 laptops with HDMI-Output ready for the marathon (One of which was successfully used at SGDQ 2014).
Also the game captures at 4:3 instead of 16:9
Quote from PvtCb:
3 has an insane amount of technical issues so I'll be running it on my own computer where I've managed to eliminate most of those issues. I might need to wear headphones (which I can supply myself) during the run as audio cues are extremely important for timing attacks and I might not hear them over a loud stream room. Calling for "serious time" won't work because I need constant consistent audio.

If it's a laptop then it's not problem as long as it can output HDMI. If it's a desktop then we'd need to set it up in advanced before the PC block if that's ok. We provide headphones with mics, so you can hear the game through it. If it's a concern, let the audio tech know and they can boost your game sound to your liking.

Quote from JRP2234:
All my equipment is in pal format

We'll be providing NTSC gameboy player + the disk. So as long as your cart can run on that, it should be fine.

Quote from MunchaKoopas:
The developers at Yacht Club Games are available for commentary if we'll have them.

I'll get back to you soon on that.

Quote from Studio:
Windows 8.1 slows the game to a crawl, so I have 2 laptops with HDMI-Output ready for the marathon (One of which was successfully used at SGDQ 2014).
Also the game captures at 4:3 instead of 16:9

Not a problem. Thanks for informing us.
INTJ
Games: "Secret of Mana" and "Goof Troop"

Both games are going to be 1p2c (1 player 2 controller) runs. I suggest providing a handcam for both of those runs.

Further, I would need a little table or something similar to place the controllers on.

In order to gain as much efficiency from using 2 controllers I have to partially place the 2nd controller on the table so I can reach the buttons on both controllers at the same time. For Secret of Mana I will also be using a Multitap, which I will have to reach to frequently in order to flip the switch on it.

The Multitap also has an extremely short cord, so I would either need an SNES extension or have the SNES be relatively closeby.

As a little bonus, a table should also provide a much better background than the regular ol' crotch cam. Example from my stream:
Just for clarification, are monitors needed if runners bring PCs? I'm assuming peripherals are needed.
All the things
We will have monitors available for all PC runs, and you'll be able to practice on identical setups prior to the actual run.
Quote from Omnigamer:
We will have monitors available for all PC runs, and you'll be able to practice on identical setups prior to the actual run.

We were told a few post earlier only two practice PCs were available, and only two were provided for the actual run?
All the things
Sorry, misunderstood your question.

As for the practice setups, we have at least one monitor for each setup. We have some other monitors available, although they may be different makes/models from the ones in the event proper, but shouldn't be terribly different specs-wise. No need to bring your own monitors.
Thanks for the clarification! Smiley
Quote from Yagamoth:
Both games are going to be 1p2c (1 player 2 controller) runs. I suggest providing a handcam for both of those runs.

Further, I would need a little table or something similar to place the controllers on.

In order to gain as much efficiency from using 2 controllers I have to partially place the 2nd controller on the table so I can reach the buttons on both controllers at the same time. For Secret of Mana I will also be using a Multitap, which I will have to reach to frequently in order to flip the switch on it.

The Multitap also has an extremely short cord, so I would either need an SNES extension or have the SNES be relatively closeby.

As a little bonus, a table should also provide a much better background than the regular ol' crotch cam.

Handcam should be doable. It would something simialr to SGDQ, so the camera angle wouldn't be that amazing since we don't have a large boom for it. I'm not confirming the incentive as accepted, just saying that it should be fine on the tech side.

We can provide a table. Would you want something like a TV tray so it doesn't take up a lot of space? Or something short?

You can put the SNES where ever you need to, and we also provide SNES controller extension cables.

Quote from MunchaKoopas:

Yeah this should be fine. We'll need some contact with the devs.
For Alien Swarm I would like to bring my own USB mouse if that's alright. It's a Logitech G5 that should plug and play (might need to automatically install drivers? don't remember) and I love their design. It has side mouse buttons I am used to and I would be useless in the run if I had to readjust to another setup without them. We should be arriving on the 2nd so I will install the game, which is about 2GB on Steam, on both of the machines sometime that day and test my mouse. I could bring the game on my flash drive but I guess the internet speed will suffice for downloading it in a decent time?

I was also curious as to how Steam accounts work at the event as our game requires quick leveling up to unlock equipment for the run which is stored per account. We are currently unsure if we will log in to our own accounts for it (worried about Steam security being annoying) or create new accounts, or are there GDQ accounts? It is a free game so it could be run from any account and we can unlock the equipment very quickly if that's necessary.
game: Portal 2

Stendec will be bringing his own laptop for the Co-op run.
I'll be bringing my own Keyboard and mouse ( Might need drivers for the mouse, Razer Deathadder 2013 )
Quote from The_Master:
For Alien Swarm I would like to bring my own USB mouse if that's alright. It's a Logitech G5 that should plug and play (might need to automatically install drivers? don't remember) and I love their design. It has side mouse buttons I am used to and I would be useless in the run if I had to readjust to another setup without them. We should be arriving on the 2nd so I will install the game, which is about 2GB on Steam, on both of the machines sometime that day and test my mouse. I could bring the game on my flash drive but I guess the internet speed will suffice for downloading it in a decent time?

I was also curious as to how Steam accounts work at the event as our game requires quick leveling up to unlock equipment for the run which is stored per account. We are currently unsure if we will log in to our own accounts for it (worried about Steam security being annoying) or create new accounts, or are there GDQ accounts? It is a free game so it could be run from any account and we can unlock the equipment very quickly if that's necessary.

Bringing your own mouse and keyboard is fine. You should not download the game there. Bring in a flash drive to install your game. Taking time to download takes away time from other people, and the internet speed is more for contingency and stability. There is no GDQ steam account. Runners typically log into their personal account to install their game.

Quote from Drastnikov:
Stendec will be bringing his own laptop for the Co-op run.
I'll be bringing my own Keyboard and mouse ( Might need drivers for the mouse, Razer Deathadder 2013 )

This should be fine. Just make sure the laptop can output HDMI and can duplicate screens.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
BTW, for Yacht Club, I already have their account from previous events. So we're good with them.