RaneofSOTN: 2013-11-20 10:11:10 pm
RaneofSOTN: 2013-11-15 07:55:01 am
RaneofSOTN: 2013-10-26 10:02:44 am
RaneofSOTN: 2013-10-06 07:43:08 pm
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-25 07:29:01 am
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 08:20:55 pm
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 08:14:35 pm
I want off the ride....
Heyo, its your least favorite person who helps out with these things! Once again, you will have a travel co-ordinator and his name is "RaneofSoTN"! Thank you thank you!

AGDQ is a very big event and even though we are shifting venues, we are still preparing for everything... Because thats what a good marathon speedrunner does. Incase you haven't done it, make sure you have a room setup. The thread for making matches will be up soon! but if you feel the need to hurry use the following link. Please note that this code (its in the link) only works during the marathon dates (starting the 4th).

Now for all things travel!

The Location: The Dulles Crown Plaza
Address: 2200 Centreville Road • Herndon, Virginia, 20170

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnHsk-N-HxPWdEJaN21KaW9RSlpGTzFRNjJ6MkRMNFE#gid=0

All Travel Plans should be in before 12/13. This is to allow me some time to arrange any pickups that might be required! Anyone entering plans after this date that do not let me know before hand of circumstances (waiting on bus pricing or something) will be put on the "We will try" list and I'll see what I can do.
The above is listed for anyone who wants me to know their plans. If i do not hear from you, and I haven't heard anything about you traveling by anything else, i will assume you are ok with flying into IAD, and using the shuttle to get there and back. If something comes up (shuttle breaks or whatever) I will do my best to save people but, I cannot make promises if I do not know what loads are coming ing.

Travel Tips & Suggestions:
1. Plan your route NOW! - Make sure like everything you do for a marathon, you plan your route ahead of time and be ready to change it if execution falls through. I am here to be a helper and keep it all moving as smoothly as possible. But even hiccups happen, talk to anyone who gets flights delayed or other issues.

2. Inform the Travel Coordinator of your route! - If I am kept in the loop (at least slightly), I can try to provide any and all support. If things change, I can work to make sure you get there and ,eventually, get back safely. The ultimate goal of this event is to make sure the attendees attend, and get home fine! So, please make a note to tell me if your traveling to AGDQ and how! Any further details may be optional, but if I am not told anything, I can not help you out in the future.

3. Keep everything updated! - Keep your information updated, I do a lot of work to try to keep all documents used friendly and current. This helps me if things fall through (which inevitably something will fall through and I'll need to catch it).

4. If you are driving, please state if you don't mind gathering others! - People travel a lot to these events and sometimes wouldn't mind pitching in for gas instead of flying (if only cause its a bit cheaper). So please let me know if this is ok.
    a. Please also note if you wouldn't mind helping out with pick-ups or drop-offs. This is to ultimately help me divert help to people who are more willing to do it. Last year we got lucky and there wasn't a real need for double trips (thanks to Valiuse). So with the access of a hotel shuttle, I am hoping we wont need as much travel coordination. But we will see.

======================
Helpful tools for routing:
Bus Routes to Hotel (local only):
Quote from presjpolk:
Re: Buses.  First step would be to take the Metro rail.  The closest station to the Crowne at the time of AGDQ be the West Falls Church station on the Orange Line.  From DC you would take the next Orange Line train in the direction of Vienna.  So you want to get there from wherever you are.

--

To get to the orange line from Union Station you would take the next Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove or Grosvenor-Strathmore, getting off at Metro Center.  At Metro Center you can transfer to the Orange Line to Vienna, which will get you to West Falls Church.

From IAD Dulles airport, you would either take the Hotel shuttle or taxi in all likelihood.  However from Dulles you could also take the Washington Flyer bus from Dulles to West Falls Church station.

From DCA Reagan airport, you would take the next train going in the direction of DC. If you hop a Blue line to Largo Town Center, transfer to Orange at Rosslyn.  If you hop a Yellow Line to Greenbelt or Fort Totten or Mt. Vernon Square, transfer to Orange at L'Enfant Plaza.

From BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport, take the WMATA Metro B30 bus to Greenbelt station.  From Greenbelt station, take the next train (they're all going in the same direction) to L'Enfant Plaza.  There, transfer to Orange.

--

Once at West Falls Church station, you will hop over to the Fairfax Connector bus 950, which stops in I think the North Bus Bay of the WFC station.  The 950 I believe Mike pointed out goes literally right by the Hotel, so it'll get you directly there from the train.

--

Links:

A Metro map I just made highlighting AGDQ-relevant stations.  The Orange arrow marks West Falls Church station, which is where you hop the bus to the Crowne and where IAD flyers can hop a bus to.  The Blue arrow marks DCA airport.  The Red arrow marks Union Station. The Green arrow marks Greenbelt for BWI flyers.

WMATA B30 Bus for BWI-Greenbelt.

Washington Flyer Bus for IAD-West Falls Church.

Fairfax Connector 950 bus for West Falls Church-Crowne.

And if any of this is useful, feel free to spread it around. I used to commute through WFC out *past* Dulles so I'm used to researching this stuff. Smiley

The Aiports:
IAD: Dulles International (Good choice)
+Closest Airport
+Shuttle

DCA: Reagan National (Ok Choice)
+Semi-close airport, but could be a hassle getting to you

BWI: Baltimore-Washington International (Meh Choice)
+Probably going to be a hassle avoid if at all possible. But I will TRY to work with you if this is your ONLY option.

Pick the airport that is BEST FOR YOU!

Uyama Suggestions:
Quote from mikwuyma:
About the other airports:

BWI: You are going to be on the lowest priority and will be lucky if anyone picks you up, because the trip is going to be at least 2 hours round trip (likely closer to 2:30 or 3:00) from the hotel. If this is really your cheapest option then I would suggest sharing a cab with someone or looking into buses and the like.

National: IIRC, there's a shuttle from National that will take you to Dulles airport, I don't know how much it will cost, but I will look into it. Also, the drive is a bit long (about 45 minutes), but it's basically a straight shot from the area, so it's not a bad drive and I'm sure someone can pick you up. Also if you go through Dulles airport you can take a road that doesn't have much traffic and puts you right on 66 (which goes to national airport).

In other words, if the other airports are cheaper, pick National over BWI.

Also I've been in talks with Omega World Travel (the travel agency that gave us the discount) about the United Airlines discount.

Also if you want websites that will compare a bunch of prices for you, try Kayak and Mobissimo. Note that certain discount airlines such as Southwest are NOT covered on these websites.

People Driving To the Marathon! Who can Carpool

Quote from AlecK47:
I haven't decided whether I'm going to fly or drive yet, but a carpool would make me more inclined to drive.  From where I live in Grand Rapids, MI, my route would take me through the Ann Arbor (or possibly through Detroit, depending on carpooling), Cleveland and Pittsburgh areas.  My car can fit 2-3 additional people depending on luggage and gets good gas mileage.

Quote from bassdeluxe27:
I'm planning on driving up from the Charlotte, NC area, and I have an empty car that would seat 3 more.  Edit: Nothing should be stopping me from making this trip.  I'm planning on driving up on the 4th and leaving on the 12th.

Quote from chessjerk:
Here are my travel plans:

I will be driving down from South Jersey on the morning of the 9th, hopefully to be there in time for the poker tournament. Smiley

Quote from controllerhead:
driving from NJ. Around 3 and a half hours according to Gmaps. Head south on 95 etc etc. Easy peasy.

Quote from CyberBotX:
I don't know if I am coming 100% or not yet, but if I do, I'll be driving from the Detroit, MI area and I'd be willing to take maybe 1 or 2 carpoolers with me. 3 would also be doable but with the possibility of being cramped if people have lots of things to pack in my car (it's a 2003 Chevy Impala, if you want an idea on size).

Quote from elendil004:
I'll be driving from Bourne, MA (Cape Cod), and will have room for one or two folks, but I will likely be there for the entire marathon/bonus stream plus setup/take down, so bear that in mind.

Quote from honorableJay:
I'll be driving from Albany, NY. Route can be found here.

Quote from InterrupterJones:
...  Now I'm on Long Island, so...a bit far from home.  Speaking of which, I have an SUV so anyone in the LI or CT area that may need a ride, I can take quite a few and have lots of space for any bags as well.

Quote from luigimeister:
Hey Stinger I have a decently sized car and I'm driving from north alabama. You want to just carpool with me? Edit: Knoxville is literally on the path I'm taking to D.C.

Quote from lurk:
if i can get the funds together i plan on driving down from buffalo, ny. i'd be willing to share the cost of gas with anyone else for the 7 or so hour trip.

Quote from Palidian:
I'll be driving down with my wife on the 4th and heading back on the 9th. We're leaving from Enfield, CT. If anyone is traveling these dates and wants to carpool with us, or if we can join you, let's talk. We can fit 2 more in the car.

Quote from ProfessorBroman:
Updating with my route Info! I'll be passing by Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA if anyone around that area needs a pickup! Also, I could modify the route to go through Columbus, OH if that would be needed for anyone (but that would obviously leave out Cleveland) so let me know if you need a ride or need modification for me to pick ya up!
FULL VEHICLE

Quote from RaneofSoTN:
I'll be driving from Gainesville, FL through to the marathon. I can take 1 more (I believe I'll be carrying DragonDarch with me) possibly 2 more depending on luggage. Though I am sure that with the setup Darch and I will be bringing a 4th would be hell.

Quote from SquallGrieverLeonhart:
I'll be driving in on the 4th from the Lansing, Michigan area and leaving on the 14th.  This is the route I'll be travelling: http://goo.gl/maps/0kMbE

If there's anyone that's along that route, or not that far out of the way of it, I'll have room to comfortably take 2 people, maybe 3 factoring in luggage room.  If there's anyone interested, just let me know.

Quote from Tterraj42:
I'll be driving up from Manchester, KY on the 1st. Going to MAGFest then staying through the bonus stream (so leaving the 15th).

If that date range works for anyone, I'll be happy to pick you up. Could easily take two people.

Route: http://goo.gl/maps/PkDql

Quote from thadarkman78:
Probably driving at this point but not 100% certain from Charlotte straight up I-85 (though that may change if I end up picking someone up and it forces us into a detour because of it, I don't think it will but I'll update if it does) to eventually I-95. If you're within a detour of < 45 minutes I don't mind picking you up (gas money appreciated).

Quote from Valiuse:
Alrighty.  I will be going this year!  Will be driving from Chesterton, IN out that way.  Definitely looking for people to pick up.  Plan on getting there the 4th and leaving on the 12th.

Route: http://goo.gl/maps/L4CPn

Thank you PresJPolk for making the post that i quoted!

If you have a suggestion for the layout of this post, please let me know. I am not a layout god but if it suits people better I have no problem in remaking THIS POST!

to do list:
create google doc
insert own route
finish airport stuff
gather more resources on busing/train-ing to location and then to hotel.
bake uyama a cake
Figure out why Rane-luck doesn't transmit to this
Thread title:  
Edit history:
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 08:09:52 pm
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 08:08:28 pm
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 08:08:28 pm
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 11:31:26 am
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 11:30:07 am
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 11:26:13 am
RaneofSOTN: 2013-09-10 11:23:15 am
I want off the ride....
F.A.Q.

Q:Also, Is this the thread to set-up travel details or just general info on travel and etc.
A: This is aimed to be both. Though ideally most of setting up of the details will be done by yourself with this thread as a helper. I can help with the final stretches of getting to the marathon event if that is a problem. But you have to take the first steps. I am hoping to list any and all relevant information to allow people to make proper NON WRONG WARP routes to the marathon.

Q?: I'll need to take a bus to get to the site and I'm from PA.  IDK if this is good thing or if it's possible to carpool but I simply cannot fly in
A: Try using these ? http://us.megabus.com/launches-service-to-from-philadelphia.aspx
http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/tripplanner/tripplanner_form_solo.cfm
Just getting nearby is helpful. If it is troubling to get from where-ever you land up to the Hotel. We can see about getting someone to pick you up and drop you off. But do some research =D this is why route planning is good.

Q: Actually, there's a question. What are shuttle times to and from the Dulles Airport? I'll need to know this when I make my flight.
A: The Crown Plaza Dulles Airport offers 24-hour complimentary transportation to and from Washington Dulles International Airport every 30 minutes. We recommend programming the hotel telephone number in to your cell phone (703-471-6700) so that you can call us as  you are arriving from your airplane.  You will travel from the airplane gates to the main airport terminal following signs to baggage claim.  The black Crowne Plaza shuttle busses pick up outside the baggage claim level of the main Dulles Airport terminal at curbside labeled 2A.  These covered curbs are across one lane of traffic outside the main terminal and run parallel to the terminal.  Our shuttle busses arrive at the arrival pick up (curbside 2A at approximately 15 and 45 minutes after each hour.

As for any other shuttles, I am still looking into this, but I will try to have something comprehensive as we go.
Q: Am I allowed to wrong warp to the hotel in this category?
A: I am not responsible for failures in wrong warp. I do not have the technology to save runs from unintended affects of the wrong warp, such as.. STUCK-IN-WALLITIS, Death Warping, unintended location warping (I am not saving you from a crumbling castle even if there is a hot princess there), and showing up at the credits (missing the marathon).
I do have the technology to save you from delayed flights, stuck at the final bus stop, "i'm hungry", and starting you on the path home.

Q: How long is the setup for the wrong warp?
A: I do not know as this is location based. I believe the wrong warp from where I live requires 1-2 hours of setup time.
I'm Incredibly Bunny
also maybe add stuff about carpooling for people who live close to eachother?

i.e. I'm in the Washington D.C. area so it's not too much of a drive to the location, and might be able to take others if necessary?
Am I allowed to wrong warp to the hotel in this category?
Edit history:
StingerPA: 2013-09-10 09:13:57 pm
StingerPA: 2013-09-10 11:36:21 am
StingerPA: 2013-09-10 10:48:37 am
Edit: carpooling with Luigimeister unless something changes
Edit history:
Radman: 2013-09-10 11:11:37 am
Radman: 2013-09-10 11:11:15 am
Radman: 2013-09-10 11:11:06 am
For Fun! For GLORY!!
Won't be too hard for me. Flying into Dulles the day the marathon starts, so I just shuttle there. Room will be the biggest thing for me to work on, but I'll worry about that when the topic is posted.

Actually, there's a question. What are shuttle times to and from the Dulles Airport? I'll need to know this when I make my flight.
just( •_•)>⌐■-■ ..... (⌐■_■)wing it
I'll need to take a bus to get to the site and I'm from PA.  IDK if this is good thing or if it's possible to carpool but I simply cannot fly in
I want off the ride....
While I am at work right now. I'm going to try to find the answers to any and all questions asked at this point. I can't really finish what I want to here (network restrictions) but this should be good enough to start discussions and get questions out of the way.

If you have any questions please drop them; I'll try to answer them in post #2.
You asked for avatars...
I was planning on taking the mega bus, but if there's anyone around PA who needs a ride (I'll hope to be coming from Long Island) then I wouldn't mind driving personally.
Looks like flights to BWI are at least $140ish cheaper than to IAD for me.  I'm guessing bus/cab fare would be less than $140, so I might end up going with that.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anm7OyHbh5RfdEtUUWJ2dmtSbXRkVlhhNkxhQmJnOUE
The flights to IAD is $200 more than either of the other airports for me. :/
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from Naegleria:
Looks like flights to BWI are at least $140ish cheaper than to IAD for me.  I'm guessing bus/cab fare would be less than $140, so I might end up going with that.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anm7OyHbh5RfdEtUUWJ2dmtSbXRkVlhhNkxhQmJnOUE

Don't bother with a cab, because it's going to cost you around $150 for the cab ride. Yes, BWI is that far away (over an hour depending on traffic).

Bus/train transportation is much cheaper, but will require several transfers, and will take you over 3 hours or longer to get there.

----
Yeah just FYI, BWI is even further away from Crowne this year than it was the 4-H center, so absolutely do not expect anyone to pick you up, by the way.
Wow, did not expect the cab to be $150... do you happen to know what bus/train would cost?
Edit history:
Withhelde: 2013-09-10 01:36:37 pm
Withhelde: 2013-09-10 01:34:07 pm
Thinker & Dreamer
I think it would be cheap, but it WILL take a long time. Like, I have a friend  who lives in Laurel (halfway between DC and BWI); and it takes her about two hours to get from Fairfax (about 10 minutes from the Crowne/IAD) back home.

So yeah, expect three-four hours and the fact that buses stop running early.

EDIT: I just looked stuff up, and it's actually not that bad (two and a half hours), but you MUST leave BWI before 8pm EST, since the last bus is then and they don't run again until 6am.

If you sadly get caught in between that 8pm-6am timezone, it will take about six hours to get to Dulles and need five transfers.
Crawlathon WR, get down on my level.
Quote from Naegleria:
Wow, did not expect the cab to be $150... do you happen to know what bus/train would cost?

Bus/train (combined, it's kinda weird) I'd say more like $20 (no more than $20, it depends on whether it's peak times) as long as you don't have extra luggage or anything. You will need to either pay for the fare ahead of time or have exact change for the buses though, so make sure you're prepared for that.

Google Maps is actually really, really good with public transit. I recommend taking a look. It can't do dates more than a month in advance but the bus routes shouldn't change that much.
AHA
I live in the DC area and I'm willing to help out with rides.  Even though I'm not sure yet if I'll attend the entire marathon, I'll definitely be there at the beginning.  I can do pickups at Reagan National or Union Station (for those of you taking a bus/train).
I want off the ride....
SOmething I'm Thinking of is trying to setup some sort of shuttle service.
Last I looked, it might be 70$ + 12$ per person past the first. So If you rack up 6 people.. 142 / 6 = ~24-25$ a head. Its not much more. But you would be limited. The shuttle would also apparently take 2 hours to roll.
This is from the BWI setup.
Just wanted to put it down that I'm driving from Fort Wayne IN to DC. Anyone in the area that would be interested in a carpool let me know I'm happy to drive Cheesy
The Dork Knight himself.
I'll be driving from Albany, NY. Route can be found here. Not sure if you're making another thread for contact info or if you want us to post it here, but I already have your cell from last year Rane.
Anybody coming from Montreal?
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2013-09-10 04:32:34 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-09-10 04:28:49 pm
mikwuyma: 2013-09-10 04:27:39 pm
My feelings on The Demon Rush
About the other airports:

BWI: You are going to be on the lowest priority and will be lucky if anyone picks you up, because the trip is going to be at least 2 hours round trip (likely closer to 2:30 or 3:00) from the hotel. If this is really your cheapest option then I would suggest sharing a cab with someone or looking into buses and the like.

National: IIRC, there's a shuttle from National that will take you to Dulles airport, I don't know how much it will cost, but I will look into it. Also, the drive is a bit long (about 45 minutes), but it's basically a straight shot from the area, so it's not a bad drive and I'm sure someone can pick you up. Also if you go through Dulles airport you can take a road that doesn't have much traffic and puts you right on 66 (which goes to national airport).

In other words, if the other airports are cheaper, pick National over BWI.

Also I've been in talks with Omega World Travel (the travel agency that gave us the discount) about the United Airlines discount.

Also if you want websites that will compare a bunch of prices for you, try Kayak and Mobissimo. Note that certain discount airlines such as Southwest are NOT covered on these websites.
Edit history:
Radman: 2013-09-10 04:33:21 pm
For Fun! For GLORY!!
Quote from mikwuyma:

^YES! I could so use that since I have credit with them that I need to spend. It's gonna be an expensive flight for me if I leave at times I want to. :|
Edit history:
Dgaul: 2013-09-10 04:47:25 pm
I saw some other people with PA in their replies.  I am also from Pa, around Pittsburgh and my plans were to take a Greyhound to D.C..  No promises here, but if you were around Western PA, (and probably as far out as Reading or so) and would want to I might and I quote might be able to drive.  Besides that point has anyone had any experiences with Greyhound that were different from mine.  I took it once before and loved it pretty cheap, pretty on schedule, and it's pretty certain where you will end up.  Megabus is slightly cheaper but I haven't used them personally. 

Edit:  Also, Is this the thread to set-up travel details or just general info on travel and etc.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
I've heard megabus is a bit better than greyhound, but I can't say anything certain.
Edit history:
luigimeister: 2013-09-10 04:50:27 pm
luigimeister: 2013-09-10 04:49:01 pm
luigimeister: 2013-09-10 04:47:05 pm
luigimeister: 2013-09-10 04:46:56 pm
Likes SoM far too much
Quote from StingerPA:
How long is the setup for the wrong warp?

I'll be driving from Knoxville, TN, and I could go a bit out of my way to pick up anyone as I go along.  Right now I'm planning on leaving early on the 4th so I can get there before night the same day. Not 100% sure about when I'm leaving yet, but I should be there for the full marathon and leaving over the weekend.  My car seats 4 comfortably (well, as comfortably as a small 2-door car can).

I'd also be fine with helping out with pick-ups and drop-offs.

Hey Stinger I have a decently sized car and I'm driving from north alabama. You want to just carpool with me? Edit: Knoxville is literally on the path I'm taking to D.C.