page  <- 12345678910111213141516 -> <- 1 .. 3 .. 16 ->
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
The Dork Knight himself.
Quote from Inexistence:
In the map, there is a small point the map creator needs to put in that will trigger a map change. Sometimes, this is a trigger, so you have to walk into it and the map will change. However, sometimes the map maker will want the map to change on something happening, maybe a door closing or something. In this case, they still need to make an entity to change the level, and put it somewhere in the map. It's not a trigger, but it's still there.

Spider-Waffle has found that if you touch this entity, it will change the level, even if it isn't a trigger. So if we're waiting for some event to happen in a map before the map changes, then instead we can just touch this trigger and have the map changed. I'm not sure if this applies in the original half life, but in half life: source, this is the same, and in the test chamber near the start of the game, very high up, there is the map change entity, and if you manage to jump up to it, you can change the level, even before anything has actually happened in the chamber.

Hope that covered it.

Well that explains lvl change ents. The burning question is how high up is it and can it be reached with no weapons?
Quote from honorableJay:
Well that explains lvl change ents. The burning question is how high up is it and can it be reached with no weapons?

In Half-Life Source it's high up in the ceiling, can be reached with a VOB but landing is deadly and even if wouldn't be, changing level through that trigger screws the game, guns aren't visible and firing Tau-gun crashes the game.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
It can be used in HL, I already figured this out.  Then I found out there's no other levels with a similar a timesaver as touching the change level ents does nothing besides this one.
Quote from Spider-Waffle:
It can be used in HL, I already figured this out.  Then I found out there's no other levels with a similar a timesaver as touching the change level ents does nothing besides this one.

Do you mean that you have plans to actually use it in the run, or do you mean that it is technically possible if you can reach to it?

By the way how do you open the maps in the hammer editor, is it possible?
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Yes, I have plans to use it in the run, it saves over 30s.  You need to decompile the paks to get the map files.
The Dork Knight himself.
GCFScrape (for the newer steam released pak files) and PakExplorer (for the older .pak setup) are what I've always used.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
If anyone wants to figure out when nihilanth's head opens that could help us.  It's still a mystery.  This would help us find the fastest way to be beat him while using the least amount of cells and AR nades.  I think it might that after you kill all the orbs (1000 hp) it starts a timer for his head to open, or after you've killed all the orbs done certain amount of damage to him.  An alternate strategy could be to kill the orbs ASAP to start the timer, then kill the crystals before he can regen the orbs.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Well I did a little testing with this and seem to have found conclusive evidence that nih will open his head about 10s sooner if you go through one of his portals, going through more than one didn't seem to change anything beyond the first.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2010-10-09 02:28:29 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Quad and I found a way to get 1000 fps anywhere so we can use the jump bug, only downside is you can't see anything.  We briefly toggle the chase cam and offset it really high so your view is only of the abyss off the map.
Quote from Spider-Waffle:
Quad and I found a way to get 1000 fps anywhere so we can use the jump bug, only downside is you can't see anything.  We briefly toggle the chase cam and offset it really high so your view is only of the abyss off the map.

Ouch, don't go back to casual speedrunning... :/
Don't think!  feeeeeal
It can all be done within current SDA accepted rules.
Just a heads up, you won't be able to use movement scripts if you want it to still fall within SDA rules.

"-Scripts: Many PC games allow players to use scripts or macros to automate certain actions. These are banned. In the past, scripts were not explicitly banned from SDA, so there are currently a few runs that use scripts. However, no further submissions using scripts will be accepted."

Source: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/rules_and_faq_revision_yes_we_finally_got_around_to_it.html
^does not care for console's
Quote:
'Binds' are fine but 'scripts' are banned with the exception of weapon change scripts. As far as I know nobody has so far had any confusion about what counts as a bind and what counts as a script. Basically the spirit of the rule is that stuff like turbo scripts, the 180 degree turn scripts in Spider-Waffle's Half Life run

Quite peculiarly I'm not sure it does mean they can't. Surely they don't have to make a script to hit jump 5 times with a button press. They could easily bind that in console. It's not even a turbo script as my understanding of a turbo script is something which repeatedly spams something very fast. This just jumps 5 times.

As for 180 degree spins. They can also be bound. Maybe SDA wouldn't mind as much if they were separate binds though...
Edit history:
RandomEngy: 2010-10-11 06:36:54 pm
A Crab
I wouldn't count on trying such a squirrely argument. The "no scripts" rule is a distinction from direct mapping of keys to simple game actions and more advanced work, where one key now does several actions. I'd at the very least confirm your thoughts with someone on the staff before you start recording.
They can be bound to a key but unless they're a specific game function (I know some games do have a 180° turn button) then you're most likely going to need to code the input yourself. Hence, scripts.

The jump argument is kinda silly. Sure, you can probably bind jump to the same key five times. The difference is that all five jump commands will happen at the same time you hit that key, instead of one jump per frame for five frames.
Svart Lyser Tronen
Quote from ShadowWraith:
Just a heads up, you won't be able to use movement scripts if you want it to still fall within SDA rules.

"-Scripts: Many PC games allow players to use scripts or macros to automate certain actions. These are banned. In the past, scripts were not explicitly banned from SDA, so there are currently a few runs that use scripts. However, no further submissions using scripts will be accepted."

Source: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/rules_and_faq_revision_yes_we_finally_got_around_to_it.html

I don't think there are any no-script HL runners, so it seems like SDA won't get any improved HL runs... too bad. And I guess DemonStrates 10min Portal run won't be accepted either?
btw; is hlspbunny mod still allowed then?

I'd say they better keep the grandfather rules.
DemonStrate's portal run will be allowed as it was completed before the rules were changed.

I have no idea about hlspbunny mod. You'll need to ask mike.
Don't think!  feeeeeal
Please direct all rule change discussion to the appropriate thread: http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/rules_and_faq_revision_yes_we_finally_got_around_to_it_127.html#rules_and_faq_revision_yes_we_finally_got_around_to_it_133-
I must say that enforcing a no script rule to old games that previous have had scripts is ridiculous. For all new games I can understand but this will prohibit any new runs in any of the Half-Life games for example.

I hope you make this HL1 run even if it will not be submitted here on SDA, with a little bit of luck the rules might change later on when someone else has the power to enforce new rules.

Best of luck to all of you who are involved in this run!
Mmmh, SDA doesn't want miraculously fast HL-run if S-W is involved Roll Eyes

Do it guys, abuse everything you can think of, you are not welcome here but no doubt your run will get more popular than anything before elsewhere thumbsup
b
Quote from eV1Te:
I must say that enforcing a no script rule to old games that previous have had scripts is ridiculous.

Yet they just accepted new Metroid runs because OOB is ok today, nice way to fuck the old runners in the ass with this one, allmost as nice as forbidding grandfather-clause.
Visit my profile to see my runs!

This.  Your posts are not helping Spider-Waffle work on his run.
XXY
I'm definitely interested to see this done.
Svart Lyser Tronen
Some random clips of tricks that will/might be used in the run, ignore the tankboosts.
Also, some clips was done in TASmod

Something like this instead of snark/AR:
Excellent clips, my hype level for this run is off the charts. Keep it up