Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

John 'chessjerk' Kearsley IV's bad ending run

Quote:
ACCEPT

Cheating: None
Video quality: Meh. (at least we know it wasn't emulated)
Sound quality: Good
Execution: Amazing
Planning: Perfect?

First I would like to thank the runner, because I haven't been able to accept a run until now and I was feeling like a really mean verifier. Smiley

The faults
As far as planning goes, with a lot of testing it may be possible to mess around with the warps in the last section for a better route.

For execution, small gameplay tightening is possible as far as jumping and jumping and shooting.

The praise
Wow, what an awesome run. I think it speaks volumes that even if a viewer hasn't played Zillion before, they would still find this to be very enjoyable.

Moving around in Zillion is for crap, and I can't believe how great the runner is at jumping, shooting and shooting while jumping. Simply fantastic. I had to laugh at the end of the run with the three attempts to jump up between those platforms. That must have been frustrating at the very last spot in the game where you need a little skill. Jumping over mines is hard as hell, but the runner was nearly flawless at this aspect. Entering codes in the console was perfect every time. The reckless abandon seen running through rooms with turrets was exhilarating. Can't say much more, the execution was extremely good.

Since I started considering Zillion routes from a speedrunning perspective (when I verified on the last Zillion submission), I came up with the same route used in this run. The fact that the runner only used FOUR ID CARDS in the whole run is incredible to me. No useless canisters were broken either, which is a huge time saver. (Except that one power-up, but maybe it was insurance against low health when he came back through that section.) It's very obvious that the runner knew every bit of the run and was intimately familiar with what to do in each room. No hesitation anywhere.

Conclusion
Should be obvious, but to sum up, the run was excellent with no real detractors. Any execution problems were insignificant and the planning was likely flawless. Easy accept (for once). Great job!

Quote:
Verifier: also in zillion i like have no idea about the route planning at all
Verifier: all i can say is about the technique
Verifier: which was way better than the other run
Verifier: he seemed to know it well enough that i guess i can trust him with route selection?

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a tight run, and it's much better than the last submission.
Thread title:  
Awesome! Thanks as always to everyone involved!

Quote:
ACCEPT

Cheating: None
Video quality: Meh. (at least we know it wasn't emulated)
Sound quality: Good
Execution: Amazing
Planning: Perfect?

Let's just say my SMS console has been through a lot over the past 20 years and leave it at that. Smiley

Quote:
First I would like to thank the runner, because I haven't been able to accept a run until now and I was feeling like a really mean verifier. Smiley

Glad I could help.

Quote:
The faults
As far as planning goes, with a lot of testing it may be possible to mess around with the warps in the last section for a better route.

For execution, small gameplay tightening is possible as far as jumping and jumping and shooting.

Going strictly on the number of rooms visited, I believe my path is best. I didn't go so far as to actually time one path vs. another, so I suppose it is possible. As with most runs, there is always some small tightening to be done, but I was pleased with the result.

Quote:
The praise
Wow, what an awesome run. I think it speaks volumes that even if a viewer hasn't played Zillion before, they would still find this to be very enjoyable.

Moving around in Zillion is for crap, and I can't believe how great the runner is at jumping, shooting and shooting while jumping. Simply fantastic. I had to laugh at the end of the run with the three attempts to jump up between those platforms. That must have been frustrating at the very last spot in the game where you need a little skill. Jumping over mines is hard as hell, but the runner was nearly flawless at this aspect. Entering codes in the console was perfect every time. The reckless abandon seen running through rooms with turrets was exhilarating. Can't say much more, the execution was extremely good.

It was incredibly frustrating to screw up that jump at the end. Many inferior runs were taped where that didn't happen. Sad

However, I am proud of what I did accomplish as far as computer code entry and general gameplay itself.

Quote:
Since I started considering Zillion routes from a speedrunning perspective (when I verified on the last Zillion submission), I came up with the same route used in this run. The fact that the runner only used FOUR ID CARDS in the whole run is incredible to me. No useless canisters were broken either, which is a huge time saver. (Except that one power-up, but maybe it was insurance against low health when he came back through that section.) It's very obvious that the runner knew every bit of the run and was intimately familiar with what to do in each room. No hesitation anywhere.

Conclusion
Should be obvious, but to sum up, the run was excellent with no real detractors. Any execution problems were insignificant and the planning was likely flawless. Easy accept (for once). Great job!

Thanks! Smiley