Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/ZeldaLinksAwakening.html

Segmented any% run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
A/V are fine, no cheating.

Exo said he wanted to make this run look as much like a TAS as possible, and the fact that he practically did the run twice over (restarting completely after the frog song skip and redoing all of Turtle Rock after an error in his arrow route) shows just how serious he was. Almost every segment has pixel-perfect or one frame tricks, and when it comes to route planning, Tompa is a merciless demon. I do not expect this to be beaten unless Tompa manages to get one of the huge skips he's attempting on a console, and even then, I expect Exo to be the one to beat it.

Accept.

Quote:
It's amazing how quickly Exo did the segments for this run considering the difficulty of the tricks and the luck needed to meet his expectations. The rooster skip and the frog song skip are the two biggies of course, but even stuff like the L2 bracelet skip and the wall clip on the way to Turtle Rock are extraordinary and it's awesome that he basically didn't hold back on any tricks he could have included, no matter how hard they were and how little time they might have saved. Even though this is on the B&W version and Tigger77's run is on the DX version (which is inherently slower), I'd go so far as to say that this segmented run should obsolete Tigger's segmented DX run because the level of gameplay and optimization is noticeably better here.

I have talked to Exo sometimes when he posted his segments and mentioned little things that he could have done differently to save miniscule amounts of time, such as doing the pit jump before the dungeon 5 boss door differently for a few frames saved or spin slashing Agahnim's balls to make sure that he hits them on the first frame possible, but in every instance where I've brought this up to him the discussion has been about frames, not even full seconds. Granted, all of the potential tiny time savers combined might add up to some seconds, but when the only stuff you can bring up in a run that's over an hour long is to save mere frames, you know you have a masterpiece.

I vote to accept, and as I said before, I suggest that this run obsoletes Tigger77's segmented DX run even though that may not necessarily be conventional for SDA.

Quote:
Really great run there. I'm glad I made you suffer to redo a lot of segments in order to get an even better run. While there are still some minor things I wanted to see in the run (Killing both Dodongos in D3, which is actually about 2 seconds faster than killing), the optimization level is very nice.

Looking forward to your SS run of this game, it better be as good!

Accepting time.

Quote:
No sight of cheating or editing (as far as I see)

Definitely a accept

The route is more than up to date and the executing is awesome
There are little things that can still be improved like in seg 11 you can kill all 4 enemy's in the second room with 1 spin attack

not really more to say about this run as this run definitely deserved a place here on SDA.

on more time

Accept

Quote:
Zelda: Link Awakening

Segment by segment description!!!(Important: 1-37-46)(this part may be annoying and/or repetitive, if you don’t want to go through this, go to the end for the verdict)

SEG. 1
-could have been faster if you go to the right after the sea urchin
SEG. 2
That was incredible, even for a short segment
SEG. 3
Flawless. (the owl part made me laugh, trying to escape but there is no exit Tongue )
SEG. 4
It’s starting to get abusive with the save cancel to save time in the discussion :P.
Flawless.
SEG. 5
The precision is incredible, good job.
SEG. 6
Short and sweet!
SEG. 7
Efficient, good control of the shield with the monsters Tongue .
SEG. 8
Menu efficient.
SEG. 9
Incredible control of the bosses. Very nice to see.
SEG. 10
Perfect
SEG. 11
All the bosses in this run so far look almost TAS(like most of the run). Very good!!
SEG. 12
I didn’t even know the Chain chomp could cooperate. I remember this part being a pain.
SEG. 13
Longest segment so far and it’s almost perfect and it’s very courageous to do a whole temple in the same segment. Most impressive so far IMO.
SEG. 14
Perfect.
SEG. 15
Perfect.
SEG. 16
From now on I’m going to call you THIEF.
SEG. 17
We should enslave monkey to do our construction(efficiency, for less than a penny).
SEG. 18
Frame efficient Tongue .
SEG. 19
Laugh at ”jumping 6 squares Tongue “ also I’m ready to pay you for cutting my grass.
SEG. 20
Very fluid. Impressive!!!
SEG. 21
Again. Short N’ Sweet!!!
SEG. 22
Flawless control. Very good segment.
SEG. 23
Same
SEG. 24
Good.
SEG 25
Same.
SEG 26
After this Speedrun, I won’t ever be able to hear the Pegasus boot again.
SEG. 27
What a fight!!!
SEG. 28
Very good cavern!
SEG. 29
Very fluid and good angle mastery.
SEG. 30
Slash trick was cool.
SEG. 31
Incredible!!!
SEG. 32
Very good control on the boss and on the jumps in the end of the segment.
SEG. 33
Result of the last segment(make the boss way too easy)
SEG. 34
Flawless!!!
SEG. 35
Good use of the smashing board in this segment Tongue .
SEG. 36
Same here!!!
SEG. 37
Could have been more fluid.
SEG. 38
Very good control on the enemies and good glitches there!!!
SEG. 39
Very good!
SEG. 40
Straight forward segment.
SEG. 41
Ridiculous and very incredible. 3 very hard glitch in a row+ perfect jumps.
SEG. 42
Great Find!!!
SEG. 43
Mountain of glitchy physics!!!
SEG. 44
Same
SEG. 45
Indeed…
SEG. 46
Could have save about 9(-0.5) seconds if he had segmented at 35 seconds to restart at the beginning of the temple.
SEG. 47.
Easy boss and everything is fine.
SEG. 48
Same.
SEG. 49
YAH 2D stair!!!
SEG. 50
Good throws!
SEG. 51
Same! Seg.+++
SEG. 52
Interesting glitches there
SEG. 53
A full segment! Everything is good!
SEG. 54
Incredible job!!! 

In resume,
Map efficient(pixel efficient), menu efficient, incredible boss knowledge, incredible game knowledge, very sure of his route and perform with a rare fluidity. Convincing Speedrun!!!
Some people say that TAS are the bound between Speedrun and perfection but I say that EXOSDA is the bound between Normal and TAS Speedrun. This can be beat by about 20-25 seconds(seg. 46+some frames mistakes) if there isn’t new glitch found. But it’ll have to be by either TAS or a sick man. This was incredible, I like almost every second of it. Hope to see you doing more Speedrun in the future(SS of this or 100% would be nice).
A/V are perfect
Definitely no cheating(who need those with all the glitches he’s using)
DECISION: Easiest accept I had to do in all the verification I did so far!!!
Congratulation to THIEF!!!

Quote:
Hey everyone!  I’m back again with more stupidly long comments because…yeah…I like to write…skip to the part labeled “SERIOUS SECTION” if you don’t care about commentary Wink

I remember Links Awakening as being the only GameBoy game I was excited for and bought on release.  I wish I’d had the SNES player at that time because staring at that little screen was quite annoying, especially when the batteries kept dying on me.

This run is segmented into 54 parts, and with the exception of the last segment being 8:24, the longest segment video is just over 3 minutes long.  As such, I'm not going to go segment by segment; just kind of a running commentary/thoughts as I watch this multiple times...

We start with Link waking up in a strange bed!  Guess that’s okay after the whole ship wreck at sea thing.  Link is quickly given his shield and quickly runs in and out towards the sea, stopping inside another house first and quickly leaving without doing anything.  This is apparently a manipulation of the save/quit system.  Clever.

So, Link finds his sword, and is introduced to the Annoying Owl who keeps interrupting your quest to tell you crap.  Then it’s up to the forest and more Owl talk.  …I swear this run’s gonna be more Owl than gameplay, isn’t it?  Link stops in a cave and finds some free rubies.  I have no idea how this world’s economy isn’t collapsing since simply killing the infinitely respawning creatures is an encouraged method of making money.

Could be wrong, but in Segment 3 I think the runner gets a bit of bad luck in just how long it takes the moblin to hit him so he can skip over a pit.  Though, from the notes, apparently to even get that to happen at all is luck in and of itself, so a couple of seconds wasted standing still is probably the best result one could hope for.

More Annoying Owl!  And a talking raccoon.  Knowing the story of this game, I’m still pretty sure this is an entirely drug induced fantasy land Link’s fallen into.

Very quick grab of the magic powder in the crane game.  Impressive timing really.  I wonder if that’s complete luck of the placement of the items or if the items are always in the same spot when you enter the building in the first place.

From the Runner’s comments about Segment 3: “I get a heart on the way back from the forest so you guys don't have to suffer through the low-health beeping noise in dungeon 1 later.”  FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, THANK YOU!  Run should be accepted based upon the Runner being mindful of the viewers…

And the trading game begins.  Oh, you got a cool looking Yoshi doll?  Awesome!  Gimme!  I’ll give you…um…oh, a Ribbon!  Link…you’re getting ripped off, man…at least he pawns the Ribbon off on some unsuspecting Chomp-Chomp…hey Link…why so Mario?

And I didn’t know you could walk over that pit.  I’m sure that didn’t require a measurable amounts of resets…

First dungeon time!  And watching this is rather amazing.  The Runner has this down to pixels.  Getting two Spikeys to bounce directly into pits like that…like…damn.

Hey look, goombas.  Link plows though some spike traps because he’s boss like that.  It’s weird how it’s just faster to go to the Save/Quit screen than it is to just let the text for each item picked up run out.  Probably takes good timing to pull off right…

Instrument one in the bag, Link…um…quits…but then comes right back to get lectured by Annoying Owl again.  Dear Mr. Owl; no one likes you.  Please go away.  Kthx.

Link trades for some bananas because they’re apparently not readily available at any store, and heads back to town where there’s trouble!  …or so the music tells us, but who cares about that?  Not our runner, he moves through the forest and heads north.  Apparently someone’s pet Chomp-Chomp ran away…or was kidnapped…or…abducted by space aliens…anyway, Link rescues him and this is the ONLY way to get into the next dungeon.  I haven’t seen this yet, but I wonder how long this part will take because that damned Chomp is random from what I remember.

…and it’s instant…Dear Runner; I hate you…as a serious aside, I would love to know if there’s really a way of forcing this other than ole “Reset until you get lucky” method…

In Dungeon Two we get a great look at the Runner’s jumping abilities.  Some of these appear to be extremely tight too.  And throwing pots at enemies is just too much fun.

*sings* It’s a Jennie in a bottle...

After obtaining the second instrument, Link returns to the dungeon for some rubies in a treasure chest he’d neglected to grab (could this have been done earlier?  Guess it doesn’t matter…).

And…now Link’s a thief.  Though, I think everyone did this because screw that bow being 980 rubies…I mean, really…that’s just stupid.  Besides, now we get to see the really cool ARROW BOMB!  God I wasted a lot of arrows and bombs because of that…

Link trades his bananas for a bridge AND a stick.  Because sticks…are…um…sticks…

Leaves -> Shovel -> Key.  And…I didn’t know you could open the lock from the other side.  That’s…that’s just CHEATING.  CLEARLY CHEATING HERE.  You can’t open a lock from the opposite side.  That defies logic!  So yeah…CHEATING!

During segment 20, one of those power acorns drops.  At first I’m like, “Hey, he should get that, it’ll make things easier.”  Then I’m like “Oh right…it would take seconds longer and this already looks way too easy.”

Segment 21…like really?  Why?  I realize it’s a segment so he can flip back to the start of the stage, but really?  Nine second segment?

Pretty sure they didn’t intend for a player to be running, swap out the boots for the Bow/Bomb combo, use it, then swap back to the boots and never lose momentum…

Stuff’s exploding everywhere, but Link don’t care.  Link don’t give a ****. 

A poke in the eye later and Link obtains the third instrument.  God forbid he get a bell someplace else LESS dangerous…

Annoying Owl spews crap and at this point they seem to be the only segments in need of a serious skipping.  Link gives the stick to a moron who beats a honeycomb to the ground, letting Link grab it while the moron gets stung hundreds of times…because he’s a moron…

Link exchanges the honey for…I think that’s a turnip…then Link takes a nap in a strange house and enters a dream world while he’s in a dream world…okay…Link-ception?

Segment 26: kinda weird how taking time to swap out the sword is more time consuming than picking up the bushes and tossing them out of the way.

Oh God, forced cutscene.  Yawn.  Boooooooring…I wonder if there was ever a reset for accidently having Marinrestate her entire spiel.  Worst. Segment. EVER!  Mandatory cutscenes are stupid.  Reject until the Runner figures out how to hack the game and skip it!

Segment 27…TAS…I didn’t know you could insta-kill that thing…so it’s therefore cheating…

Flippers!  A staple in every Zelda game!  …or…at least the SNES one and this one…that’s two…that’s a staple, right?

And some fish teach Link a teleport song.  Guessing that’ll be handy…

I’ve yet to mention the teleport pads Link just jumps into and appears at another one he’s seen.  How do they know he’s seen them?  Why does Link just willingly jump down a hole that looks like it goes straight to Hell? 

Marin teaches Link a second song and off to the next dungeon, which just happens to be underwater…what a shock…

Oh, the boss you have to beat four times in order…really hated this guy…the Runner has amazing bomb placement though.  And…I guess you don’t need the hookshot to get the Big Key in this place.  Silly me…ya know, always getting that first and stuff…

Okay, now Link’s hopping on the heads of fish to cross gaps…LINK; YOU ARE NOT MARIO.  OKAY?

You can use the hookshot while jumping?  Or…is that jumping into open air then using the hookshot before the game registers that you’ve landed on open air?  Either way, I remember these bosses being harder…

Link is seeing flying bomb dropping mushrooms…man, that shipwreck must have REALLY screwed with his head…

We’re at level 6 and I’ve run out of jokes to make, but Link keeps running through the dungeon like he owns the place.  And hello wall glitch.  Okay…HOW THE HELL does anyone figure that out?  …cheating, the Runner’s clearly inhuman…and he did it TWICE…

Horsehead toss gets in one shot…is that more luck or is there a method to that?  And apparently we ran out of cool bosses so we have to have the floor attack Link now…

Segment 41: I don’t even remember how you’re supposed to get over that massive gap anymore.  My memory of this game is leaving my mind as I watch this wondering how many times the Runner had to reset this...

You can run on the ceiling?!  …how did…who…I mean…gah!  Never mind…

Segment 44:  …I just…I don’t even know what to say anymore.  How long this took to do, I have no concept of…all that just to see a teleport pad and completely skip a section…mind: officially blown.

Look at this little guy!  Coming after Link with boxing gloves.  Dude, Link just faced a face in the floor, and hoards of other large monsters.  You think you’re gonna do much with boxing gloves on?

Not exactly sure how a firerod hurts the big giant flame monster…but whatever…

It’s time for the assault on the big giant egg.  Or…actually the GAME thinks it’s time for that.  Link, however, decided he was going to get the instruments out of order because he doesn’t like to follow the rules.  Rules are for schlubs anyway…

So, who builds a tower that you can only get to the top of by DESTROYING THE BASE OF ONE SECTION OF IT SO IT COLLAPSES ONTO ITSELF?  Who thought that was a good idea?

Link now decides to finish dungeon four because just stealing the flippers and leaving seemed tacky.  Might as well kill the big bad while you’re there…

And now there’s a ghost following Link.  I thought I remembered this, but we’re obviously not going to play out that pointless sidequest at this stage in the game.  More Annoying Owl and we’re onto the last segment.

I completely forgot how you were supposed to figure out the maze in this place…but anyway, final boss time!  …yeah…I remember that being a lot harder…

I think this is the slowest part of the run, waiting for the final boss to open its eye so Link can kill it…

And with that, Link has proven his “Wisdom, Courage, and Power” and if you’ve paid attention at all, you’d know those are the names of the three tri-forces in the first two games. 

Final note: the Wind Fish is creepy…

SERIOUS SECTION:

The audio and video quality is quite good.  The videos themselves are a bit small, but nothing manually resizing them in WMP didn’t fix.

Comments: OH MY GOD.  Seriously, you HAVE to see this run if you even kind of like any of the older Zelda games.  This run is extremely fun to watch, the Runner shows complete and utter mastery over this game…I, in no way, ever envisioned this game being played like this…

I’ve detected no outside manipulation of the game.  I’m not sure if this can be done much faster without finding even more insane area skips.

Decision: Accept.  Easy freakin’ Accept.

Decision: Easy freakin' Accept.

Congratulations to 'Exo'!

P.S. Tigger77, this run won't obsolete your segmented DX run unless you request it, which you certainly don't have to.
Quote from Verifier Comments:
Big monstrous walls of text with (almost) nothing but positive comments

Well I dare say this is going to be a good watch.
Is PJ
I am appalled at the lack of anonymity in this thread.  I daresay the verifiers were coerced into accepted because they knew it was Exo.  I demand a recount!

Awesome run, Exo!  Congrats on the accept!  ^_^
THIS RUN CONTAINS SECRET WORLDS
Congrats to Exo for his nearly unbreakable run. And yes Tranquilite, it is a very good watch. It's just not fun to watch when trying to nitpick the HUD at the beginning, middle, and end of every segment to check for consistency since the gameplay is virtually flawless and the luck is near perfect.
Sandbagging
Wohoo it finally got verified ^^
Thanks for all the positive comments <3 (and also the criticism).
I'll do my best to answer some of the questions that have come up :

Quote:
SEG. 1

Quick-grabbing the sword before the owls flying-away animation starts is actually not possible to do from the top from what I can tell.
It saves more time in the end to go in from the left and grab the sword early.

Quote:
SEG. 37

How ? Maybe I'm just blind and don't see something I did wrong/slow which is bound to happen when looking at my own segments ^^

Quote:
SEG. 46
Could have save about 9(-0.5) seconds if he had segmented at 35 seconds to restart at the beginning of the temple.

Save-quitting here would reset the switch orientation which wouldn't allow me to get the firerod from the chest in the midboss-room.

@Verifier 6 : I really enjoyed your verification comments. Thanks for taking the effort to write so much Smiley
I hope I didn't forget to answer a question :s

Quote:
Very quick grab of the magic powder in the crane game.  Impressive timing really.  I wonder if that’s complete luck of the placement of the items or if the items are always in the same spot when you enter the building in the first place.

The timing and placement is always the same. To get an item you need to press the button for "crane down" 2 items before the one you actually want. So if the conveyer belt order is this : rupee rupee powder  you want to press crane down when the shadow of the crane is above the first rupee in the row. So its not that impressive Sad

Quote:
…and it’s instant…Dear Runner; I hate you…as a serious aside, I would love to know if there’s really a way of forcing this other than ole “Reset until you get lucky” method…

Bowwow is completely random in what he eats. Sometimes he eats only 1 or 2 enemies and other times he eats them all.
Its also random which enemies he picks to eat. To me it seems like he goes for the ones that are closeset to him when his eating ai gets triggered. This has screwed up many single segment attempts Tongue

Quote:
After obtaining the second instrument, Link returns to the dungeon for some rubies in a treasure chest he’d neglected to grab (could this have been done earlier?  Guess it doesn’t matter…).

That couldn't have been done earlier because a save-quit would stop the rupee count from increasing. This is unique as in it only happens to be like that on this particular chest. (Also I didn't have the power bracelet before finishing the dungeon ^^)

Quote:
You can use the hookshot while jumping?  Or…is that jumping into open air then using the hookshot before the game registers that you’ve landed on open air?

It's using the hookshot right when the game registers you've landed on a hole tile actually. You have a short frame window in which you can use the hookshot during links cartoonish pre-falling-animation...thingy.

Quote:
Horsehead toss gets in one shot…is that more luck or is there a method to that?

The horseheads are 100% luck-based. Took a lot of resets to get :|

Thanks again to all the verifiers and all people that congratulated me so far (and to the ones that will).
<3 you all :s

P.S.: This should never ever obsolete Tiggers run. DX and B&W are 2 different games. (I'll take that as a big compliment though^^)
The Gaming Lawyer
Quote from Exo:
@Verifier 6 : I really enjoyed your verification comments. Thanks for taking the effort to write so much Smiley
I hope I didn't forget to answer a question :s

Cheesy

Quote from Exo:
That couldn't have been done earlier because a save-quit would stop the rupee count from increasing. This is unique as in it only happens to be like that on this particular chest. (Also I didn't have the power bracelet before finishing the dungeon ^^

Hah, oh right Tongue Completely forgot about that.  I think because it was just at the start of a segment is what threw me off as being strange.
Main Work!!!
Quote from Exo:
Quote:
SEG. 1

Quick-grabbing the sword before the owls flying-away animation starts is actually not possible to do from the top from what I can tell.
It saves more time in the end to go in from the left and grab the sword early.

Sorry about this, I though about bypassing by the right instead of left, but in most of 2d games, I forgot that going diagonal was as fast as going straight in a direction.

Quote from Exo:
Quote:
SEG. 37

How ? Maybe I'm just blind and don't see something I did wrong/slow which is bound to happen when looking at my own segments ^^

I also rewatch it and what I though a lack of fluidity was something you were force to do, I'm totally sorry about this one.

Quote from Exo:
Quote:
SEG. 46

Save-quitting here would reset the switch orientation which wouldn't allow me to get the firerod from the chest in the midboss-room.

I didn't think about the switch.

So overall sorry about the earlier comment, finally, your run was perfect(could be improved by some frames Tongue ) but like I said "Easiest accept I had to do in all the verification I did so far!!!"

p.s.:
Quote:
I pick up the fairy so you guys don't have to suffer through the low-health beeping Tongue

quote from your Youtube comment(seg.38). Thank God, I think it's one of the best thing I heard in my life about Zelda. THANK YOU!!!
Is there going to be audio commentary for this? I haven't played it but based on the comments I want to watch it but I don't want to be completely lost doing so Smiley
Sandbagging
At the moment there wont be any audio commentary.
The segments are pretty short and it would be hard to pack all the information needed into such small timeframes.
I'm not quite sure how I'll handle doing audio commentary for it (if at all).

@André: No need to be sorry. It's a verifiers job to question every action in a run ^^
PONY

You'd have time to commentate if you concatenated each segment to make one long video file. Easier for people to download and fewer splash screens, too. There are enough repeated tricks that it would be okay to have the explanation for one trick spill over into the segment with the first occurrence of another.
Sandbagging
The problem with that is that its virtually impossible to concatenate mp4 files that were encoded with x264 without desynch errors (especially if youre adding another audio track to the mix ^^).
Maybe I'll work on this when I have some more free time on my hands and see what I can come up with.
I don't know how you capture your files but I captured mine as .m2ts for my Borderlands and Gears runs and I concatenated them with TSSplitter join mode before I encoded them. Then you work out the trim points which can take a while but I haven't had any desync issues. You have to render at least one of the qualities before you record a commentary so you are working with the "Final" file.
Sandbagging
Quote from YoukaiDragoon:
I don't know how you capture your files but I captured mine as .m2ts for my Borderlands and Gears runs and I concatenated them with TSSplitter join mode before I encoded them. Then you work out the trim points which can take a while but I haven't had any desync issues. You have to render at least one of the qualities before you record a commentary so you are working with the "Final" file.

I record my runs to dvds. After that I rip the dvds and let anri encode them to mp4.
I might just end up re-encoding the files as one big "movie" some day to make a commentary video that'll end up on my youtube (and hopefully sda) but it's definitely not gonna happen any time soon.