Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Zelda2.html

Jon Fessenden's single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I timed it at 1:10:36.086

Audio: desynced by .5 seconds at the start and by the end it is about 1 full second behind.
Video: Bout as much as you can expect from a VHS and a verification copy. I still wish for higher quality vids for verification...

I did not exactly keep count, but I think I held my breath 4 times. Said fuck/shit for the runner about 10 times. "Wow" at least 2 times... could have been more I forget.

My cousin walked in on me while I was playing this game for the first time and started to watch. He saw how far I was and was impressed. I went to cast a spell and he said "why don't you have heal?" I responded "There is a healing spell?" He replied "It takes some real balls to try and beat this game with out that spell... go to this town and get it."

With that said, this runner has so real balls. Accept

Quote:
Aside from the comments from the author there are only a few that I need to add for this.

Video Quality was good, Audio Quality was good, no cheating detected.

Very good menu and xp manipulation. Very cool how the runner jumped his health and magic score after the third palace. There were a few spots where a couple of seconds were lost trying to make an unsuccessful jump. Other than that nothing to complain about. A very well executed run.

Verdict: Accept!

Quote:
Verifier: alright, zelda 2
Verifier: video quality is meh, and there's audio desync, but nate can clean that up
Verifier: play quality is really good
Verifier: surprised the route he used beat the no candle/cross one, but he did it
Verifier: still the other route can be faster, but the execution here is really good
Verifier: most impressive thing, though, has to be his experience and drop management
Verifier: very, very well planned
Verifier: to borrow a fg term and piss off josh, I think this guy just leveled up the zelda 2 speedrunning community
Verifier: easy accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: This guy beat Arctic Eagle. Shocked
Great ! Actually, I'm a bit surprised to see someone "out of nowhere" (speaking about sda here) step up on such a difficult title and deliver a top quality run.

[offtopic] By the way, I wonder what Arctic is up to now. IIrc, he seemed to be pretty close to his goal on the "up+A"-variation last time he posted in the forum. [/offtopic]
Willing to teach you the impossible
Being one of the verifiers and me having a copy of this run, I think I have watched it like 20 or so times now. I find it that entertaining. I love this run.
Interesting. I thought Arctic recently improved all his Zelda 2 runs? This sure is impressive if it beats his best! Cheesy Congrats to the runner.
My feelings on The Demon Rush
The weirdest part is that this guy did his run back in 2008, but didn't submit until last month.
Hi folks,
The runner here, thanks for your comments. I just found this thread, didn't know there was a place to talk about it. Its an interesting question, whether Arctic's path is more efficient than mine - I modeled my run on the one done by the runner that Arctic topped (I think his name was Chip Vogel). I've never tried to do a run w/o the candle, and I'm not sure if I want to - taking the path I did makes for good entertainment, whereas w/o a candle I'm sure I'd get frustrated and pissed off.

I made a couple of boneheaded mistakes, but also caught some lucky breaks - I'm guessing a perfect run using this path would be about a minute less. Zelda II is definitely my fav game of all time, but I don't know if I have the discipline to try to execute another run, its so exhausting.