1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Zelda2.html

Kristian Emanuelsen's single-segment run (no up+a or deaths)

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Final time is 1:13:04, an improvement of 4:11 over the run in the same category on SDA.  Most of the improvement comes from a much riskier route which gets the Fairy spell as early as possible and skips the Candle and Cross.  The route changes make up for getting the Shield and Life spells, as well as 3 Heart Containers (the run being replaced got 2 Heart Containers and skipped the Shield spell).

All in all, a standard Zelda II speedrun complete with difficult crap that's hard to pull off consistently, some time loss from bad luck, lining up experience points to refill Magic/Life at critical points, a few execution errors, and the mandatory brainfart that always seems to occur in the Great Palace.  It is overly cautious at times, but this category has much less life and magic to work with than those that allow death abuse.

Let's talk about the brainfart in the Great Palace: he tries to get a magic bottle to appear a second time from the same statue.  The runner should have known this was impossible.  Even though it only cost about 15 seconds in a run over an hour long, I would not be satisfied submitting a run with an error that looks so ridiculously awful.  When I read it in his comments before watching the run, I watched carefully and this mistake is actually foreshadowed when he's leaving the fourth palace the first time and tries to get a magic bottle from the entrance statue.  This mistake alone nearly makes the run reject-worthy.

On the other hand, the run being replaced makes an even worse mistake in the Great Palace, and I can't justify rejecting a run with this much of an improvement over an existing category.  Accept.

Not this guy again! Oddly enough, he wrote a normal report for the Final Fantasy run. Not sure what happened there, maybe he was taking his meds. Anyway, read at your own risk.

Quote:
Time to serve up the fourth in my unique brand of verifier commentary not seen anywhere else, unless someone decides to be a copycat which isn't too farfetched a possiblity. My goal? To dish out the most unique verifier commentary ever seen.

WARNING: The following commentary is not suitable for all viewers. And I do mean all viewers.

Dear People,

Welcome to another exciting edition of run verification with Yours Truly! I'm your host, Yours Truly! My comments may be nonsensical, insane, and NOT done under the influence of drugs though they may as well be at times, but I sure do know my stuff! Except...you know...when my memory fails me or something.

Zelda II. The black sheep of the Zelda series. Now, I don't know about you, but I am certainly no racist, and I think black sheep are just as good as white sheep! Plus they give three bags full of wool! That's gotta be saying something about them! Its importance in the series cannot be denied, though what exactly is important i'm not so sure on. Magic, I guess? Yeah, let's go with that. So, the game that introduced the concept of magic metering to Zelda is being dashed through today by...some guy whose name hasn't been provided.

Originally, I had sent out to verify a run of Zelda II months ago! But...something happened...no response on what it is exactly happened, but if I knew, I'd tell you. The point is I didn't get it then, but I am getting it now! And though circumstances beyond my control has delayed my response to some extent, I now have it! A brand spankin' new runthrough of The Adventures of Link with no Up-A or death or any of that shit.

Yes, I just said The Adventures of Link. And yes, I know what it really is, but did it wrong anyway.

Bring it on queerbait.

So here we go! Yadda yadda yadda...can't think of a lead-in right now. This is so...well, actually, it's not my best work, I will say that. Due to circumstances beyond my control. But I will remind you once again that this commentary is not suitable for all viewers.

-----------------------

Too Cute L'il Kitten 1:
The chronicles of the mighty warrior Zelda, also known as GAMEOVER begin here! After the running man sits through the title intro! One has to wonder...did he do that at every attempt, just to have it in? I mean, I like it, and I'd do it myself if I was a run maker and not a run breaker, but I'd never actually do it! Exit stage left!

As is sensible, the running man simply runs through the darkness. Fuck candles, he says! Yeah, fuck the long phallic object. Total flamer right there! However, what he does not fuck, is Shield. Possibly because Shield is unfuckable? Or maybe he's just a fraidy cat? Or not a risk taker? Eh, who knows. Anyhow, you're supposed to use it to get through PaRappa Desert.

Something horrible happens when she picks up the angel in the dark cave. I don't know what it is. But I don't like it. A+.

Hey, anyone else notice how funky the demon magic giver's faces are? It's like...fat pulsating things! The running man uses the shield to get through some dark cave that which I can't remember what it has in. But it's the north southy one. He is a respectable monster dodger, and is certainly better than I.

The skeleton cheep cheep bridge goes by perfect. Who owns that one empty crib with the table and talking, anyway? And why even get it, since Health Restorer is completely unnecessary?

Spectacle Rock, what a spectacle of running around in the dark! Maybe a little pussification going on there, but nothing too serious! The infinity amount of glow in the dark jimmys is killed extra dead! He gets the long stick for his efforts!

No superweirdgstuffe here when he gets the magicky thingy. The running man sure loves his entering the caves to skip the enemies too! The world's largest graveyard is not visited right away so another orangey gulp gulp can be gotten. Then he goes to the snowy dessert to get the downs syndrome sword swipe from the guy with a dickbutt.

Greek Structure #1 (which just so happens to be my favorite color) is killed with the all cool stuff. Like the twinky fairy thing. The horsey is killed, and the big boobed sticklady gets a little head. Wink

===========

Too Cute L'il Kitten 2:
He steals the love muscle because he can. He runs into some Octorocks in the swamp, but no biggie.

Short section here mate. Not that there's much to say!  Just a romp through the greek palace that is my favorite color! With extra special stuff! But wait!

THERE IS SEVERE CHEATING IN THE RUN AT THIS POINT

How can a small pixie pick up a big glove? And how can a knight grow more heads than it should logically have!? What the fuck is this, Johnny Cage's glitch fatality!? There's no cheating on the part of the running man, but still, SEVERE CHEATING nonetheless. Another boobed sticklady gets head. Wink Wink Wink

===========

Too Cute L'il Kitten 3:
So impressive, yet so boring! The running man skips a P-Bag for not good reason! REJECT REJECT REJE-ah, fuck you guys too! Okay, how about this? In the next greek structure entrance, which, I might add, is my favorite color, he wants to get a red potion. However, he keeps getting a red Armos. Three times, in fact! Now that's a reason to reject if we were really obsessive-compulse! But we're not, so fuck.

Oh, but he gets the P-Bag in the greek palace. And another loose one. Now the running man's got me confused. And I don't like to be confused! I'm talking to you, Zubat. Cave-dwelling faggots.

The running man waits for the eye guy to pass at one point before going through. He also gets retardely hit by the Armos on the Hoverhorse (no really, that's what it looks like - a hoverhorse) as it enters. This time, the pretty pink boobed sticklady gets head. This dude's a playa, I say!

===========

Too Cute L'il Kitten 4:
He raises a bunch of his other stats other than attack with the boost he got from boobed sticklady. Evenly. Like some kind of communist. You're an American, buddy! Or a Canadian! I know NTSC when I see and hear it! You are a capitalist!

Apparently, fire is not necessary for the running man. Now what's he going to do when all else fails!? There's four more red potion fails at the entrance to the next greek structure. It's my favorite color. Horrible show at killing the Skultula blocking the one Pee Bag, though. More SEVERE CHEATING occurs as the pixie (who was afraid of an Armos, I might add) gets some kicks. Very ugly "GET TO THE KEY" segment, featuring attacks by red things. Then the running man just up and leaves. Because he didn't get the reflector thingy. I'll trust his instincts, though.

Severe heathenism as he walks over water. Only our lord and savior can do that! It appears as though he was going to attempt an area skip as he goes to purple sky town, but he ended up not doing it.

I don't know what the fuck he was trying to pull with the roofs, but it took like 8-9 tries. It would've been faster to go the proper way to get the upper body thrust from dickbutt man! Perfect it or die, I say!

THERE IS more SEVERE CHEATING IN THE RUN AT THIS POINT

The old woman requests our hero, Zelda, to return her child to her. The running man came prepared and did just that! However, she is very clearly an old woman! She should've hit menopause ages ago! That can't be her son! There's no cheating on the part of the running man, but still, SEVERE CHEATING nonetheless. Or adoption. One of the two. Either way, it's still pretty screwed up.

Another Pee Bag goes ignored. Tragic.

Back to thing with pillars 7! Don't know what brought on the extra long trip but hey! What do I know? Besides how to do things better in an untested yet more logical way

The Grand Wizard of the KKK is done horribly, but Judas here lucks out. Yes, another big boobed sticklady gets head!

===========

Too Cute L'il Kitten 5:
My favorite color! Another human organ is gotten beforehand, because the running man said so!

Why is the running man so much of a wimp when it comes to the pixie? You're almost U-N-T-O-U-C-H-A-B-L-E with it! Take a chance! Like all running men should! Silly white boy Gohma is beaten down quickly enough. I've done that one joke enough. I don't even know what that statue is supposed to be in reality.

===========

Too Cute Li'l Kitten 6:
THERE IS SEV-ah, fuck it. None of you fuckers care that there's a forest trench in the middle of a canyon.

A Pee Bag is NOT skipped here! Why!? All those ones from before were! Why not this too!? I don't get running men at times.

I always thought "please" was the magic word. Guess the game just showed us all, huh!?

No need to fail at the entrance here, it would seem, because he's got the magic. Nope, just the usual failures to be expected in this final greek structure. Rope is done okay, but could have been done a little more spectacularly! Least it still went quick enough though!

===========

Too Cute L'il Kitten 7:
Eviltown goes okay, but the road to it does not! Lots of nasty hits!

Skipping stuff on the lavalamp road goes swell at first. Almost too swell. He gets a pixie and doesn't know where to go! Then it starts looking bad for one skip. Takes a lot of tries. But the final one looks great@

THERE IS SEVERE CHEATING IN THE RUN AT THIS POINT

This I cannot let go. Lava glows in the dark. It's that hot. It lets off light energy. Something about energy loss or chaos theory or some shit. I never paid attention in physics class. It glows though - know that. However, why are the regions dark then!? Hell, I know there are caves with lava in them before this! They cheated too! They're also very clearly outdoors! They shouldn't even be dark to begin with! Again, there's no cheating on the part of the running man, but still, SEVERE CHEATING nonetheless.

Finally, the greatest greek structure of all the times is reached! And they made it my favorite color too! Isn't that nice? There's a near-disaster here that's averted in an amusing way. What is not amusing, though, is how the running man thinks the red potion in one part respawns when you go off-screen. That's a lotta ugly seconds of waste there!

Anyone else think the bird boss from EVO: The Search for Eden looks kinda like the semifinal boss in this game? What's with this thing anyway? It just shows up, no boss music, and starts flying around throwing things like a maniac. And the key you get for killing it? Useless!

Dark GAMEOVER is raped. And they all live crappily ever after. The midget gives the triforce #3 to GAMEOVER, and he proceeds to do it with the princess. What? Well, why else would they have to hide their faces for the moment!? They were very clearly making out! And when the curtain goes down...who knows what happens!?

-----------------------

Final Verdict:

If you use "GANNON" any time outside of referring to the one screen in Zelda 1, you are considered by some obsessive people to be GANNON-BANNED. However! GANNON-BANNED is not in that screen itself, so in summary, all people who declare me GANNON-BANNED are GANNON-BANNED themselves! It's not covered by the exceptions! So suck it, fags! You're just lucky I was too lazy to look up and specifically violate every one of your dumb "rules"! And too lazy to rip into TSA! But if I verify another Zelda run in the future, I may consider it. So keep your eyes peeled for the shocking sequel to this verification!

Say "no" to drugs and retarded sayings. Say "yes" to this run! Even if it does hate fire! And has a few utterly retarded misakes that show knowledge (or lack thereof!) of the game's inner workings! It's our policy to accept runs that are improvements, because it's an improvement! Regardless of any unfortunate mistakes or retardedness! Err...is it? Because this run can be massively improved if some of that idiocy like the potion thingy is fixed. Do know this though: if runs could be rejected for running man stupidity, I would reject it.

His excuse? It's the very first time he's ever survived through the place without the light or the thing that I'm surprised was not censored considering NOA's strict anti-religious rules! He even confesses to its sloppiness! And to the potion mistake! But you know what I say?

"That's no excuse."

But at least he never did anything like...say...miss the last orb. That's just fucking hilarious! Wait...no...I think that might actually be a contender for worst mistake an a speedrun alongside missing the last orb. Perhaps I'll have to start mentioning "tried to get a second where there's only one" in places too!

Yours Truly,
Yours Truly

Quote:
Sorry it took so long. I was on vacation. As to the Zelda 2 SS no death's no up+a.

Cheating-No
Sound/Avi-Good

Very nice job beating the last run by over 4 minutes!  I have a few concerns. As you pointed out in your comments there are ALOT of small mistakes peppered through this run. Many times you stop to kill minor enemies or collect money bags or bottles when it seems unnecessary. In the labyrinth temple I don't understand why you didn't downthrust through the blocks to get the key and exit through the blocks to the left. I assume it has something to do with the dog-heads coming out but you get jacked up there by them anyway. The most obvious thing i saw which you alluded to in your notes was going back for a second red bottle in ganon's castle when of course doesn't respawn. Except for ganon and maybe the dragon, your bossfights seemed sloppy and could be improved. I of course haven't played this game heavily since I was a kid so I may be getting picky here. If so then ignore me Smiley  I was impressed with your fireball dodging in the mandatory stages after using the whistle the first time. I remember getting pissed off as a kid going through these stages. You traversed all the caves w/o the candle very well. All in all this is a decent run considering its length and the fact that its SS with no warps or deaths, but definately beatable. I might take a shot at this game to see how hard it is to SS it. I forsee lots of anger and hope I dont break my usb Nes controller. I hope you didnt break too many!

Decision-Accept
Reason- Over 4 minutes faster? Jeez.

Quote:
Verifier: ok, that zelda 2 run is awesome
Verifier: not perfect by any stretch, but awesome
me: it seems like zelda 2 will never be perfect
me: sounds like a pretty dickish game to be honest
Verifier: and since you said you were going to pass it if I didn't chime in soon I don't think I need to play the voice of reason, so I can leave it at that
Verifier: yes, it is a dickish game
Verifier: especially in terms of speedrunning
Verifier: but hats off to Arctic Eagle, that was kickass

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's an improvement.
Thread title:  
Which institution is mikwuyma hitting up for verifiers now?  (well three of them are more sane than anyone in my family)

I still casually play through Zelda 2 once every few years, but let's just say I'll never finish in the time it takes this runner to play through five times Roll Eyes

I never thought someone would see SDA verification as an opportunity to become a star  8)
I have no idea how to interpret that second verification just skimming it, and i don't really want to read it......xD;
Yes, a worthless avatar riding my posts.
second verifier is tl;dr
I just skimmed through to read the descriptions of severe cheating. Like a tiny pixie picking up a giant glove. And lava not glowing.
Weegee Time
I read all of the second verifiers comments.  There were no massive text errors and he did manage to cover the entire game.  However, he really needs to work on all material not related to "SEVERE CHEATING" before submitting another review. Also, I have concerns that his commentary is, in fact, longer than the game it applies to.  Verifier rejected!  Tongue
Monster Tale was a good game
I want to shoot that "Yours Truly" person for every response he ever did.
Quote from BreakTargets:
I want to shoot that "Yours Truly" person for every response he ever did.

This.
Joke of all trades
congratulations on the run, definetly want to see it. 

lemme guess.  you just couldn't stand having someone elses name on the zelda 2 page.  you do realise breakdown will now be doing updates. and its his z2 run.  he's also had his fauxandu run beaten aswell, you just trying to piss him off.
Thanks guys. Great Palace not good, but the fear of dying there got to me (and some lack of knowledge).

Breakdowns Zelda II run was kind of beaten by chops with a 1.16.xx run, but I sent chops a PM telling him I had a faster run (because he asked). I think that's the reason he withdrew his run from verification/didn't send his run in. I may have pissed off both chops and Breakdown, but I had nothing to do with the Faxanadu run  Wink