Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: doesn't exist yet.

Jeff 'Korzic' David's easy difficulty run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Here is my comment about Ys Eternal verification.

Movie Quality: Good enough

GamePlay:

(1) No Death.

(2) Easy mode: I have no problem about this. I know some other great speedrunners often choose "Easy" to achieve the "fastest result time" in the game (Because normally "Easy" gives you faster result time than "Normal" or "Hard"). And this player explains the reason he chose Easy mode. That's fair enough. Different modes have their own difficulties in speedrunning. So, in my opinion, "Easy" is not necessarily easier than "Normal" or "Hard" in speedrunning point of view.

(3) The player apparently has great techniques, enough knowledge, and strategies for speedrunning this game. The course he runs (always along with the walls), route he takes (efficiently using Wings and activating story events), and quick manipulation of item menu... everything is done pretty well.

Although none of the speedrun plays is unbeatable, it must be very hard to beat this record. So, I think his play is great enough to be published at SDA.

ACCEPT

Quote:
The following are my comments regarding the Ys I speedrun.

The Video and audio are fine and synched.  I didn’t perceive any cheating and there are no inconsistencies with items, stats, or location between segments.  There are no deaths in the run.

I timed the run manually at 38:43, starting with player control of Adol in the hospital and ending with the last book of Ys read.  This does not include any time penalty for use of segments and was not determined via frames.  Please, if possible, defer timing to someone using VirtualDub.

The run exhibits both good planning and, despite a few minor mistakes, tight execution.  The route and course of action chosen by the runner is efficient and does not sacrifice time for concessions to difficulty (see Jenocres naked and underleveled).  The runner does not make any major mistakes and does a great job with luck manipulation (see Vagullion battle) although there are some delays with poor enemy placement on the longer and more difficult segments.  In particular I felt the runner did a great job minimizing time in the various menus and interactive dialog screens.  The 'item select during wing animation' and 'roda tree' tricks are legitimate and the latter saves a good deal of time.  If I had to nitpick, there are about a dozen avoidable enemies bumped (attacked accidentally) by the runner.  When this happens, Adol loses a bit of momentum, however this doesn’t amount to much more than a small fraction of a second lost.

Segment 1 - The runner bumps a blue demon a couple of times but otherwise stays out of trouble and does a great job speeding through shop menus.

Segment 2 - A very hard segment.  No misses with Jenocres but some unfortunate enemy placement in the shrine basement.  Despite this the runner does a great job clearing a path around the tight halls.

Segment 3 – There is some hesitation lining up with two chests and Adol gets hung up on one of the mine doors.  There are also about half a dozen avoidable enemies bumped.  The runner lost a couple of seconds here.

Segment 4 - The runner likely picked the best spot to level up with some brilliant execution.  Another hard segment.

Segment 5 – Likely as quick a battle as possible against a very random Vagullion.

Segment 6 - An avoidable enemy bump here.

Segment 7 - Perfect.

Segment 8 – There are three avoidable enemies bumped and Adol gets hung up on another doorway.  There is also the hiccup in the second mirror maze.  Probably a couple of seconds lost in total.

Segment 9 - A very quick Yog & Omu fight.

With a little less bumping and perfect luck, I believe some time that could be saved, but not much.  For the aforementioned reasons, the run should be accepted.

As an aside regarding the run title, the game being played is Ys I from Ys I & II Complete released in 2002.  Without going into gory details, this Complete package freshened up a few things from Ys I Eternal released in 1998, including graphics, sound, and importantly, some nuanced changes to the gameplay.  The confusing part: Ys I Complete’s in game border still reads as “Ys I Eternal.”  Despite this, both the Complete software and its retail package are distinct from that of Eternal.  I would call it "Ys I Complete."

Quote:
Sorry for the delay.  Here's my thoughts on the run.

There are no problem with video and audio quality.
There are also no cheating as far as I can tell.  All exp and money earned seems to add up.

Gameplay wise, this run is definite up to SDA standard.  All the quickest routes are use, and they are excuted cleanly without any unnecessary detour.  The story events are all triggered in the fastest possible fashion.  The bosses are defeated efficiently, including taking damage to defeat them faster.  The only noticeable mistake I spot was in segment 8, during the mirrow maze (~6:40), where he accidentally run down before he activate the mirror to teleport.  But that probably only waste about a second or two.

Overall, this is a very good run, and deserve to be in SDA

verdict: accepted.

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a well-optimized run with very few errors.
Thread title:  
Glad to see that this is accepted!

Quote:
As an aside regarding the run title, the game being played is Ys I from Ys I & II Complete released in 2002.  Without going into gory details, this Complete package freshened up a few things from Ys I Eternal released in 1998, including graphics, sound, and importantly, some nuanced changes to the gameplay.  The confusing part: Ys I Complete’s in game border still reads as “Ys I Eternal.”  Despite this, both the Complete software and its retail package are distinct from that of Eternal.  I would call it "Ys I Complete."

I'm glad someone pointed this out.  Until about a week ago, I was under the impression that there were no gameplay differences (just graphical) between the "Eternal" and "Complete" versions, so I went with the name that appeared on the title screen and in the credits.  It turns out there are a few gameplay elements that would make a significant impact should someone run the "Eternal" version.  Most notably, the cost of the Mirror and Wing items are a bit higher, and there is virtually no enemy knockback.
Just a slight edit for whoever is making the game page: Complete was released in 2001 not 2002.  Awesome run Korzic, congrats.