My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Nigel 'ridd3r' Martin's Single-segment run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
a/v = fine
no cheating detected
accept, very hard game to SS preformed with few errors

This game is much harder to SS then it looks. Every single one of these levels could be done significantly quicker using the IL strategies. The fastest strategies have a lot of 1 in 1000 risks that just can't be done in a SS. So this game is probably more appropriate to SS then most just because few of the IL strategies are viable.
As for the run itself
The first major mistake is in chain that costs around 6 seconds.
I think Welcoming unit could be done a little quicker using a different strategy but it would only save a few seconds.
Chapter 3 has a some difficult tosses to get the fires started and going through the wall in the upper shaft worked well.
A few seconds are lost in Incineration destination with the use of time bugs but the recovery worked ok.
Grape vine virus is the ugliest level here but otherwise chapter 4 is fine.
Small mistake in chapter 5 but it's recovered well and the rest of chap 5 has some impressive strats for this late in a SS

Overall a very hard hour long SS with only a handful of mistakes, good enough for me.

Quote:
The run is well-executed, especially considering all the things that could go wrong in an SS of a game like this.  What mistakes there are don't take much time, and the runner made some good choices as far as using balancing risk and time in the later parts of the run.

The one qualm I have is that the runner does not make use of the cutscene skip glitch mentioned in the comments.  This glitch could save a large amount of time, with the only cost being some annoyance on the runner's part.  Unfortunately, as good as the run is, I don't feel I can accept ignoring that large a glitch under these circumstances, so unless cutscene skip runs and non-cutscene skip runs can be placed in separate categories, I feel the run should be redone.

Also, judging by the preciseness and swiftness of the cursor movements, I am assuming this is a run on the PC version of the game, with which I have no experience, having only played the wii version.

I then explain to this verifier that restarting each attempt would take somewhere around 10-15 minutes if the runner wanted to implement the cutscene skip glitch.

Quote:
In that case, definitely accept.  It was just that, based on the runner's comments, it sounded like viewing the cutscenes would only be needed one every day of attempts, but I guess not.

Quote:
Verifier: i feel like a real jackass doing this, but i'm going to have to reject world of goo
Verifier: not for any mistakes or lack of skill on the runner's part
Verifier: he did a very excellent job
Verifier: but he didn't utilize the skip levels feature
Verifier: (quick explanation: as you go along, you accumulate points towards skipping levels, and you can basically skip any 10-11 levels except for the end-chapter missions by the end of the game)
Verifier: this run would be better classified as a 100% run, except i imagined that to be 'get OCD on each level'
Verifier: (which is basically like s-ranking all levels)
me: why can't this just be a full-game run?
me: and is s-rank just speed?
Verifier: it varies per level, but it's either finish within a time limit, lowest # of moves, or pick up the max number of balls
Verifier: and fuck, you're right and i'm stupid
Verifier: i just saw 'not any%' and my brain short-circuited, heh
Verifier: still, i just wish the runner didn't have to do the fucking grapevine level
Verifier: but yeah, since i completely forgot sda made exceptions for major skips, accept

Decision: Accept

Reason: It's a quick SS with few mistakes.

I'm now half expecting Tiki to come in this topic and go, "World of Goo, more like World of..." I'll stop right there.
Thread title:  
Edit history:
ridd3r.: 2009-08-22 06:08:35 am
we have lift off
Quote:
In that case, definitely accept.  It was just that, based on the runner's comments, it sounded like viewing the cutscenes would only be needed one every day of attempts, but I guess not.

I will try and explain this fully. Basically you need to view ALL of the cutscenes, then you can skip cutscenes as long as you don't exit your session. In other words, exiting the game will result in you having to view all of the cutscenes again. Sometimes I might do several attempts in one session but in many instances I might want to space my goes out and in this case, I would have to keep viewing all the cutscenes. Even if I did 3 attempts per session (which can be a lot depending on how far you get), then I would have spent well over 10 hours in viewing all the cutscenes.

Quote:
a/v = fine
no cheating detected
accept, very hard game to SS preformed with few errors

This game is much harder to SS then it looks. Every single one of these levels could be done significantly quicker using the IL strategies. The fastest strategies have a lot of 1 in 1000 risks that just can't be done in a SS. So this game is probably more appropriate to SS then most just because few of the IL strategies are viable.
As for the run itself
The first major mistake is in chain that costs around 6 seconds.
I think Welcoming unit could be done a little quicker using a different strategy but it would only save a few seconds.
Chapter 3 has a some difficult tosses to get the fires started and going through the wall in the upper shaft worked well.
A few seconds are lost in Incineration destination with the use of time bugs but the recovery worked ok.
Grape vine virus is the ugliest level here but otherwise chapter 4 is fine.
Small mistake in chapter 5 but it's recovered well and the rest of chap 5 has some impressive strats for this late in a SS

Overall a very hard hour long SS with only a handful of mistakes, good enough for me.

Agree with pretty much everything there, I really think there are some strong highlights to this run (upper shaft for one) and you just won't realise the luck I get on some levels. Beauty and the electric tentacle stands out as the luckiest, you cannot get a better initial layout, normally I would easily be 15 seconds slower on that level. I think my target times basically give a good idea.

Quote:
Verifier: i feel like a real jackass doing this, but i'm going to have to reject world of goo
Verifier: not for any mistakes or lack of skill on the runner's part
Verifier: he did a very excellent job
Verifier: but he didn't utilize the skip levels feature

Interesting point and I will be honest, I never even considered this feature as I have never personally used it! I remember seeing it while playing but just never used it. I do not regret this in the least though as it would be an extremely cheap skip to just avoid all the difficult levels and would reduce the entertainment value a lot I think. I always wanted to do a full game run and I am guessing that in terms of a SS run, an OCD would surely not be attempted. While a lot of my strats would allow for OCD I think there would be some extremely nasty run killers, e.g Super fuse challenge and loads of chapter 4 levels.

So anyway thanks for taking the time to verify and provide feedback and I look forward to this run going up on SDA. There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of interest for an IL run but maybe once this is up people will tackle them.