List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Werewolf.html

Andrew 'All-American' Gardikis's run

Quote:
First and foremost, Data East ftw.

Second, audio is fine, video is fine, and there was no cheating.

Third, Super Werewolf is so broken Smiley

Stage 1
Little mess ups: right in the first boss and going up/down ladders.
Other than that, all the glitches and skips are well performed and the last boss of the stage goes down fast.

Stage 2
This run improves upon the current run's route by staying on top of the level. The execution is also better. Yeah and another mini-boss skip.

Stage 3
It's just SO MUCH faster to do the beginning and the stage's final boss with Super Werewolf, like in the run Smiley

Stage 4
Small problem with progression at some point here, but that was mostly bad luck and it still was handled pretty well by the runner.
This stage's last boss fight could possibly be improved, although it still manages to be a lot faster than the boss fight of the previous run.

Stage 5
This stage is very well played. And then that awesome final boss battle, what a finish.

This is one amazing run through a very tough game and a huge improvement too. Accept!

Oooh, a picture commentary!

Quote:
Lé comments:

Video: typical VHS stuff at the beginning, quickly clears itself before the run gets going. There is a quick gap missing just before Werewolf does his best shirtless Frezy impression and pulls out the skin-toned American flag. That is during the epilogue and is probably irrelevant, but it's being noted.

Audio: Crackling at the very beginning for about a quarter of a second. I'm guessing this if because of the VHS. If possible, clip the first half second before the Data East logo appears for the published copy (assuming it gets that far).

Cheating: God damn you, how dare you do that good on Fireman. Tongue Just kidding, no cheating.

Level 1:
The big screw up at the first Giant Head. I would've seriously considered resetting at that point, since it is the beginning of the game. That said, he did indeed make up for the blunder well before the level completed. Though there were two minor pauses with ladders, they only cost about 1 second each. The slime fight went exceptionally well.

Level 2:
Nice job avoiding the sewers, and skipping the Giant Head. Minor error not jumping high enough on the steel rafter section. Cost about 1/2 a second. Excellent Iron Head fight.

Level 3:
I really did not think it was possible to stay in the lower section of the level without cheating. Bet that took many resets to get right, excellent work. Skipping this Giant Head is pretty easy, as well. Also, because it bears repeating, the Fireman fight cannot possibly ever get any better. And it's the flashing yellow section, then feels the need to taunt you.

Level 4:
Oy. This level absolutely sucks. You can tell he really took his time making sure the level design doesn't knock him into the water. He also had some bad luck with the TMNT laser dudes. The Giant Head fight went rather well, possibly because of being Super Werewolf there. The Monster fight could have gone better. He jumps up to the right ledge a couple of times while still invincible, and could've gotten one more free hit in. Then he picked up the full health recovery while at full health. That didn't make much sense. Probably lost some time here.

Level 5:
Before getting to Faryan's mansion, everything goes well. The final Giant Head fight could only go marginally faster, because he missed attacking a couple times. Finally time for .

Instead of letting you go after Faryan, Werewolf feels he needs a challenge first, so Faryan morphs into a werewolf. Great for sportsmanship, bad if the fate of the world is in the balance.

All kidding aside, the first Faryan form went really well. After he croaked, it seemed like the runner was trying to keep a beat with the song between the fights. The only way the second Faryan fight goes better is if the moron wants a fist fight sooner.

I'm very impressed with the improvements, even with the few blunders. I hope there is a future run with no blunders, but even if there isn't, I accept this one.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Because it's an improvement.
Thread title:  
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
nicely done Andrew!! I never actually played this game but I enjoyed watching the 1st run of it and cannot wait to see this one!
Hi! I'm andrewg!
Yay! At the time I completed this I thought this was a really nice run. It does have quite a few mess ups though. The mistakes are mainly in level 4. I still think this could probably be completed a lot quicker, but I'm not exactly sure how much.

I really enjoy this game (and it's short), so look forward to another installment of this game in the future. I know under 11 minutes is possible. My TAS of this game is 8:59, so I know there is probably even more room for improvement. I know how difficult it is to perform various glitches just because I discovered them myself through TASing. I used the glitches that I could consistently manage, and there were quite a few I couldn't exploit.

I might be able to skip another Giant Head mini-boss, but the jumps need to be very very precise.

Anyway, all in all this was a nice run. The game threw me some difficult situations in stage 4, but beside that, there weren't too many mistakes. Also, the super werewolf glitch I discovered breaks the game in some ways, but at different points, the high jump really makes it MORE difficult. Who would have thought?
Can we make a smiley? Please?
that Metroidvania guy
Master-88
Congrats andrew. Thats might be cool run. I am only played game my emulator, im not like controlls because jump button is B and usually it is A for most NES games. That seems same as Dragon lair and its make really hard play other games.

Thats cool you did SMB2 (JPN) and this run very quickly and as far as i can tell game is also really difficult to beat too.  Wink

BTW
Which is your final time? Or want you keep it with your secret?

I just got to say that this was an amazing run. Andrewg, I wouldn't be surprised if you as a runner are saying to yourself that there were tons of mistakes and so on. However, I (and probably many other as well) can barely beat this game, so seeing a speedrun of this quality and with all the tricks/skips/glitches was both impressive and entertaining. This game is almost as brutally unforgiving as Werewolf is cool...

By the way, from my point of view, the recent update on the front page, with 5 extremely solid nes/snes runs, is the best update I have seen since I started visiting sda... Smiley
sinister1
so pro u don't even know
yeah that update was crucial. Nice job andrewg, is the TAS you mentioned for this complete yet?
Thanks for the complements Smiley This was a pretty nice run, but I definitely think I could improve it by quite a bit still. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. In my opinion it doesn't even compare to my Lost Levels speedrun though haha. Though, I think I underestimate the time I spent playing Werewolf. After TASing Werewolf I knew the game very very well. Smiley I got pretty frustrated on some Werewolf attempts, but I somehow managed to get the run you see on SDA pretty quickly.

Sinister1, yeah, I completed the TAS right before I finished by speedrun (I think)? My TAS is on youtube if you want to see it. It's a little confusing to follow so we had someone encode it with a lua script... it makes it much easier to follow what's going on:

The maneuvers used in the TAS are VERY VERY difficult to duplicate. I can't move my fingers quick enough to perform some things.
This was the greatest update ever. All thanks to Werewolf.