Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Michael 'Flip714' Dix's run

Verifier Responses

The title of the following response is, "Re: Wario Land: Shake it!! (accepted)"

Quote:
Huh?  Huh?  WHAT?  You pesky kids are waking up an old man again to watch ANOTHER one of your crappy old speed run videos?  Well I'm half-tempted to show you guys the switch!  But since you have those stupid "laws" thingies, I guess I can't.  Whatever happened to the good old saying "the punishment fits the crime"?  You nearly killed this old man waking him from his sleep!

SIGH.  Fine.  I'll watch your stupid video on this "Wario Land: Shake It" game.  I hear that in order to play it, you have to shake the controller.  What?  Pushing buttons isn't GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?  I mean, we were lucky back in the day to have 4 directions and ONE BUTTON.  ONE!  NO shaking.  Well, unless you were having an epileptic fit!  Which I about do whenever you make me watch these drug fest videos.  You and your fancy schmancy graphics.  BAH.

So first I have to watch this stupid 4 minute intro video.  Well, I would have, but I decided to go tell my wife to go make me a sammich.  No, I'm not doing it myself.  What do you think I am?  Crazy?  What do you think women are for?  Collecting treasure?  No.  Wario is a REAL man.  He tells her to get lost, adventuring is for men.  Bravo, I say.  BRAVO.

So what does that stinkin' woman do?  She refuses to return to the kitchen to make sammiches!  Why, that deserves her getting a black eye, I say!  I mean, what do you tell a woman who has two black eyes?  Nothing!  YOU TOLD HER TWICE!  And not only is she attempting to be a shop owner, but she's collecting money from THE STINKIN HERO.  Now that's a practice I've never agreed with!  The hero should be getting his stinkin' shit for free.  FREE I SAY!  Reminds me of all this DLC content that's all the rage.  Why, if you wanted to add stuff to a game, you had to start the whole game all over again, remake it, and then sell the new version in stores.  But how often did this happen?  It didn't!  THEY GOT GAMES RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.  Developers think they can use this DLC content to be lazy.  Pigs, I say.  PIGS.  Money grabbing pigs.  Bah.  But I'm getting off track here, since there's no stinkin' DLC content in this game.  Programmers got it right here, I say.

Now what I know from my times as an adventurer, you have to know what you're capable of, what it's like to fall great distances, and that the promise of cake is a lie.  Now, this Wario guy here does understand most of that, but he still needs to work on understanding that the cake is a lie.  Bottomless treasure bag?  Oh, COME ON.  You can't possibly believe that one now, could you?  Bottomless pits, yeah.  Those are an adventurer's worst nightmare.

Now I understand the need to collect money.  As an adventurer, money gets you lots of things.  But collecting those little bags Wreck Train?  Bah.  Get yourself the big bags, kiddy!  Or that diamond you missed in the next level!  Bah, kids these days.

Now as for your pretty "Subwarine" levels (seriously, are you young'uns so afraid of a little letter called 'm'?), you're not as musically talented as some other adventurers I've seen.  Why, when I was shaken awake because of that Sir VG guy and his fancy videos, he knew how to make a little tune out of the missiles!  Kept people like me from falling asleep from simple boredom!  I bet he's a guy that's got a good groove and probably knows the Charleston too.  You've probably never heard of that now, HAVE YOU YOUNG'UN?!

And my, just because you have enough money to have bought all your maps, you decided to stop being a serious adventurer and money collector.  I thought Wario was GREEDY?  Some adventurer you are.  My, when I was a young lad, we adventured from sunrise to sundown, every single day!  No breaks!  No slacking!  And certainly no benefits if you didn't get your fair share of treasure in the end!  My I say, you kids are a bunch of slacker loafs nowadays...thinking you've got it so easy.

Bah, whatever.  You kids don't listen to me anyways.  A boss hunter you may be, but you're no adventurer like me.  Nor are you a world class poet, don't you know it?

I've watched your stinking "verification" video.  Here's your F+.

Now get off my lawn and let me return to my nap.

Damn kids, I swear...

Quote:
audio/video fine, no cheating.

segment 1 - aboard the sweet stuff:
just the first level due to the long intro cutscene. no mistakes, fast and clean.

segment 2 - ratl ruins:
few small mistakes in most of the levels costing no more than a few seconds, takes damage to save time in run-down pyramid. hits rollanratl's spikes to lose several seconds which should have probably have resulted in a redo. overall not a bad segment though.

segment 3 - wiggly wilds
first coin bag in just plains takes a long time to grab -- i'm going to trust the runner's coin route though and assume it's necessary. rest of segment has only a few small mistakes; hot roderick race is near flawless.

segment 4 - rocking range
the segments seem to get better and better. only saw two small slipups costing a second or so total; chortlebot challenge was great.

segment 5 - jiggle jungle
no mistakes really. maybe some dubious coin choices in soggybog river?

segment 6 - quiver cliffs
a few small slipups in most of the levels; this one's not as good as the previous few segments. creep blue sea's "boss" could have been faster. gets the gold coins at the end of bag manor rather than jumping from hill to hill - wouldn't jumping be faster? overall not more than a few seconds lost toal though, so i can't really complain. large fry cookoff is excellent which makes up for anything else.

segment 7 - vs the shake king
- excellent

accept, of course. the mistakes in each segment never total more than a few seconds and all the more difficult parts are executed near flawlessly. only one part that looks sloppy (hitting rollanratl's spikes) but no big deal really. way better than the previously submitted run.

Quote:
Verifier: Wario Land Shake It verification:
Verifier: Video and audio quality is fine.
Verifier: The run looked good for the most part, and his coin route looked fine. One thing I did I have a problem with is the final boss; it's possible to hit him at least twice every time he dashes across the screen, which would save a few seconds each time. I don't know if it's worth spending time redoing the segment over for, though. There's also a pretty bad mistake on Rollanratl, but it's more forgivable since it's near the end of a segment.
Verifier: Other than that, the run looked pretty solid, so Accept.

Decision: Accept

Reason: Because Wario will hack the site if I don't. He'll do it, he's really that evil.
Thread title:  
1-Up!
Do your homework verifiers 2 and 3, the damage on Rollanratl is INTENTIONAL.  If you don't take damage from the spikes or the fall, he will do the same move 2 more times across the room.  If you do take damage, he skips the rest of that phase and moves on to the final phase (square blocks moving in circles).  I would estimate total time saved to be at least 10 seconds.

@ Verifier 3.  Never knew you could hit shake king twice on each pass.  Oh well.

@ Verifier 2. First Large bag in Just Plains was probably the last bag that didn't get cut.  There may be a better substitute, but I think it was best kept in.  I see what you're saying in the Bad Manor runback, but I only see one applicable instance, maybe tenths of a second could have been saved.

@ Verifier 1. Good read

@ All Verifiers.  I spent a lot of time refining the coin route, and while I won't claim it's perfect, I will say that every decision made was deliberate.  The small bags in wreck train were 1200 a piece and directly in my path, cost only the time to shake them.  The diamond in Stonetooth Cave is a (IIRC) 19 second diversion to pick up.  Because large bags end game are 6000 a pop, and not too far out of the way, I felt I could make that up elsewhere (See the two extra diamonds I picked up in It's All Mine which totaled less than 19 seconds).  Thank you for verifying so quickly, btw.

Aside from what is above, I accept all criticism regarding small mistakes and subwarine ineptitude. 

Looking forward to adding this game to the site (And playing it for the marathon!).