Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2009-08-26 08:11:54 am
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I found no signs of cheating.

Audio and video are fine.

Normally, I would go segment by segment commenting on little things, but really there weren’t that many bad things in this. I'll just go over a few things that stood out the most.

Better movement in some parts might help (try not running into enemies causing you to bounce back so much), by maybe trying to stomp enemies that pose a problem, if it is possible to do that quickly and then get away. I don’t think you slow down all that much if you are forced to kill one or two that way; because getting caught on enemies and bouncing back and forth between them seems to take up much more time. A few misses on a couple of bosses, but like the runner said, he did some on purpose. Overall, the bosses were done very, very well. I didn’t even know that trick with the last boss, bashing the ground to stop his charging attack. That was awesome.

It seems the runner had a little worse luck near the end of the run, in the last couple of maps, but he seemed to get out of those situations pretty well. I also really liked the coin routes for each map; I had a good feeling the game could be beaten fast and still get enough money for the next map, without any replays of levels. Doing a 100% run is another story, obviously. But overall, I’m very pleased at the run I just watched. Even though it can be improved on, it’s not maybe more than a couple minutes, if that.

Verdict: Accept

It’s obvious the runner has good control with the Wiimote in areas where the player has to be precise with it. Also, getting all of the coins necessary to beat the game as quickly as the runner did, without going off course much is awesome to see, considering that’s the only way to beat this game on a normal playthrough

Quote:
Mike, the following is my verification for the Wario Land: Shake It!! Run.

Audio/Video Quality: No Problems

Gameplay:

First off, I want to make a note about Wario’s movement.  The fastest and most efficient way to move is to remain constantly shoulder charging, or dashing,  whenever possible.  This requires pressing the 1 button as soon as each dash ends to start the next.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to consistently time the button press to seamlessly dash.  Fortunately, jumping while you dash has two major perks.  Jumping at the end of your dash prolongs the dash past its normal time limit and maintains Wario’s horizontal velocity.  Also, jumping during a dash will always end Wario’s dash when you hit the ground, which takes the guess-work out of starting your next dash.  Just simply hit 1 as Wario touches down and there you have it, nearly seamless dashing.

The reason why I’ve dragged on about this is because the runner neglects to use this fundamental timesaver in the run.  While the implementation of this movement technique may not shave minutes off of the final time, it would make the run look much cleaner and faster, and I feel that it should have been implemented.

This reminds me of one more thing.  I’ve found that in almost every scenario, when falling, it’s actually faster to freefall and dash upon landing rather than use Wario’s ground pound from high up.  The landing animation offsets any saved time from falling faster.

Looking past that, I’ll delve into Segment-by-segment analysis.

Segment 1 – Intro
I understand that this one was probably frustrating to get through because of the intro video, but because there is only one level involved, I feel that it should be a little more polished than it is.  The first high ground pound in the ladder room costs time versus free-falling and the jump off of the top platform is unnecessary, as you can dash and ground pound off of the end.  In the slide room, it would be faster to dash jump and catch the bottom of the slide rather than start at the top.  Ground pounding into the treasure chest room was a big mistake, because if you freefall from the same position and hold left, Wario lands on the second platform up, so a few seconds were wasted there.  Finally, sliding into the Merfle room to stop next to the cage would have been quicker than bashing into the wall.  All in all, there are 6-10 seconds of avoidable mistakes in this one level, which lasts roughly 2:20.

Segment 2—Area 1

Stonecarving City-
  This level was alright.  The first few rooms were a little less refined than the end, particularly the dashing, but all in all, the level was pretty clean.

Whoopsy Desert-
  Killing that first Bandinero wasted a little time.  I’m glad the runner knew the shortcut in the cannon room, to shoot only 2 clicks to the right.  Jumping over the cage to break the blocks was a waste of time, as Wario can break the blocks after freeing the Merfle and still get out of the room with time to spare before the statue blocks the path.  Clipping the corner at the end to avoid the “splat” animation was a smart move.

Foulwater Falls-
  It isn’t required to build speed on the 2nd rope.  After using the dasherator, it isn’t necessary to kill the first two enemies, you can avoid them both to save time.  The rest of the level ran smoothly, save for one unnecessary high ground pound.

Run-down Pyramid-
  This level is the reason why this segment should have been scrapped.  In the staircase room, bouncing off of the bandinero’s head would have been a much faster way to reach the switch.  Again, catching the slide at the bottom would have been a little bit faster.  The first major mistake in this level is the bucket breaking fest in the next room.  All that the runner had to do was wait just a moment longer to avoid that scenario.  And to top it off, the bucket maneuvering in that room was poor.  The second major mistake is the runner jumping down into the diamond pit an extra time.  I’m surprised the segment wasn’t dropped when this mistake was made.  The next unibucket room had a couple mistakes as well.  The rest of the level is decent enough, but like I said, I’m surprised this level was kept.

Rollanratl Battle-
  Getting hit by the first quake was ugly mistake and cost time.  Fortunately, the runner still got two hits off.  Unfortunately, this battle could have been much quicker because it’s possible (and not even really too difficult) to stay atop Rollanratl after the next to last hit to finish him off.

This segment had many missed opportunities and, especially towards the end, some costly and very much avoidable mistakes.  I feel like the runner should have done better with this segment.

Segment 3—Area 2

Just Plains-
  No big complaints here, outside of the high ground pound after freeing the
merfle.

Wavy Waters-
  Since all of the water levels are side-scrollers, the only improvable spots are the boss battles.  I’m happy with the boss battle here, as they can be very frustrating.

Mt. Lava Lava-
  Pretty smooth level.  The end of the run-back with all the dashing could have been a little cleaner, but no big complaints aside from that.

Savannah Valley-
  The high ground pound at the beginning was a mistake.  Bad jump in the room where the runner misses the pole and hits a fish.  No big complaints otherwise.

Hot Roderick Race-
  I don’t find this battle to be very difficult and I’m surprised the runner had as many misses as he did.  One or maybe even two misses might have been fine, given the difficulty and good execution of this segment, but I think that 5 misses is pushing it, considering you only have to connect 9 times.

This segment looked much better than the previous one, with only the boss battle standing out as a big mistake.

Segment 4—Area 3

Wreck Train-
  One very accessible small bag is not picked up, which leads me to believe that this bag could have been substituted for another previously which was more out of the way.  Otherwise, no complaints.

Stonetooth Cave-
  The missed jump at the beginning is ugly, especially after lining it up.  Also, not getting under that piston in time was costly.

Its-all Mine-
  There is a diamond at the beginning of the level that costs less time to pick up than the diamond at the end of Stonetooth Cave.  I don’t see why this one wasn’t picked up instead.  Besides that and getting caught up on some enemies and squashed by the cage, this level was fairly smooth.

Glittertown-
  This level was smooth and well executed.  No noteworthy complaints.

Chortlebot Challenge-
  This is easily the hardest boss in the game due to his inability to cooperate.  That said, the runner’s performance could have been better, but at the same time, simply managing to not be killed by this boss is somewhat of an accomplishment, so I wont rag on it too hard.

This segment continues to show improvement in the quality of gameplay.

Segment 5—Area 4

Ropey Jungle-
  No noteworthy complaints here outside of a few unnecessary enemy kills that waste time and one small bag passed which was probably more convenient than an earlier bag.  I understand not all small bags have the same amount of gold but the difference ought to be fairly negligible.

Windbreak Bay-
  Again, a water level, and the boss battle is fine.

Airytale Castle-
  Some poor dashing at the beginning.  I’m really surprised at how tentative the runner is inside the rocket bucket .  They aren’t that difficult to steer and the runner shouldn’t take so much time with it in the beginning.

Soggybog River-
  This level has many mistakes.  There was no reason to kill the first cannon enemy, as far as I could tell.  Jumping off of the first sliding rope to the right instead of the left towards the chest would have been a few seconds quicker.  The whole ordeal surrounding the first rock dropping bird and the second diamond was ridiculous, including being eaten by the plant and killing the bird unnecessarily.  Then, upon reaching the diamond, the runner hits the wall, which costs more time because turning around and leaving while maintaining speed would have been possible.  Using the dasherator in the Merfle room before opening the cage was unnecessary, and the ordeal surrounding the two enemies at the top of the room could have been much quicker had the runner earthquake punched just once and threw the top enemy to the left before ground pounding through the boxes.  Also, I understand the runner’s panic for not having enough coins, but the time spent on the small bag in the last room was simply time wasted, as well as the time spent killing the sleeping enemy.  Also, the last large bag should have been grabbed after the first diamond, instead of interrupting the escape.

Bloomsday Blowout-
  The runner misses the opportunity to strike with the first two enemies spit out, and then proceeds to miss another throw later.

The two misses on the boss might have been acceptable if not for the poor quality of Soggybog River.  This is another segment I feel should have been redone for better quality.

Segment 6—Area 5

Mount Bighill-
  No major complaints regarding this level.

Creep Blue Sea-
  Subwarine level.  Boss battle isn’t perfect, but its fine.

Slipshod Slopes-
  Sliding down the slide by the purple penguin probably cost a little time.  Also, it wasn’t necessary to knock the ice block by the cage out of the way before freeing the Merfle.

Bad Manor-
  I don’t know what the deal is here.  I don’t know what’s going on in the first pole room with the money bag and then jumping the wrong way.  And then I don’t know what’s going on when the runner doesn’t use the dash button to swim faster and then gets hit by the fish anyhow.  Then jumping two times to get up to the platform and getting gassed by the mummy to top it all off.  Uncertainty in the next room as to when to jump to avoid the bat, and some strange hesitation in the room after that.  To be honest, this whole level looked impromptu, as if the runner had hardly practiced.  I don’t know why it was kept, especially considering how short the 1st and 3rd levels were without having to collect any money.

Large Fry Cookoff-
  The battle could have ended sooner if the runner hadn’t killed so many enemies and had to wait for Large Fry to make more.

As with the previous segment, the 4th stage was bad and I don’t know why the segment wasn’t redone for better quality.

Segment 7- Battle against the Shake King
  Why the runner bought the extra heart earlier for this battle is beyond me.  The way I see it, if you give this battle its own segment, why is there a need to buy extra life when you can just restart until you get the ideal battle.  The battle itself is great, with hardly any time lost, if any, and Wario only takes 2 hearts of damage, which reinforces what I already said.

Final Decision: Reject

Conclusion/ tldr: The Prologue could and should have been faster.  Area 1 had a very bad 4th stage and an boss fight which wasn’t optimized.  Area 4 had an ugly 4th stage, and Area 5 had an ugly 4th stage.  Since every segment is 4 levels and one boss at most, I feel that no level should be left with glaring mistakes.  It’s a fast run, but not an SDA quality speedrun.

Quote:
I'll mainly comment on the levels most criticized, but if more is needed, I'll gladly offer more:

Quote:
Run-down Pyramid-
  This level is the reason why this segment should have been scrapped.  In the staircase room, bouncing off of the bandinero’s head would have been a much faster way to reach the switch.  Again, catching the slide at the bottom would have been a little bit faster.  The first major mistake in this level is the bucket breaking fest in the next room.  All that the runner had to do was wait just a moment longer to avoid that scenario.  And to top it off, the bucket maneuvering in that room was poor.  The second major mistake is the runner jumping down into the diamond pit an extra time.  I’m surprised the segment wasn’t dropped when this mistake was made.  The next unibucket room had a couple mistakes as well.  The rest of the level is decent enough, but like I said, I’m surprised this level was kept.

Mistake #1: Only cost 2 seconds.  Not as major as the verifier makes it out to be.
Mistake #1a: I'll admit that it's not perfect, but I don't find the Wiimote's sensitivity to motion for tilting like that as good as I like.  Too bad you can't use the Wiimotion+ on this, it might help.
Mistake #2: Accidental D-pad down press.  Cost only 7 seconds.

Thoughts: Mistakes I think are blown a bit out of proportion here.

Quote:
Soggybog River-
  This level has many mistakes.  There was no reason to kill the first cannon enemy, as far as I could tell.  Jumping off of the first sliding rope to the right instead of the left towards the chest would have been a few seconds quicker.  The whole ordeal surrounding the first rock dropping bird and the second diamond was ridiculous, including being eaten by the plant and killing the bird unnecessarily.  Then, upon reaching the diamond, the runner hits the wall, which costs more time because turning around and leaving while maintaining speed would have been possible.  Using the dasherator in the Merfle room before opening the cage was unnecessary, and the ordeal surrounding the two enemies at the top of the room could have been much quicker had the runner earthquake punched just once and threw the top enemy to the left before ground pounding through the boxes.  Also, I understand the runner’s panic for not having enough coins, but the time spent on the small bag in the last room was simply time wasted, as well as the time spent killing the sleeping enemy.  Also, the last large bag should have been grabbed after the first diamond, instead of interrupting the escape.

Cannon Enemy: In case he didn't see, it actually tripped the 2nd flower, allowing me to get the large gold coin.  The time it takes between my method and waiting for the flower to close up is negligible.
Rock Bird/Plant: I need to get him out of the way before using the Dasherator, since he can interfere with the run.  I probably lost more by not getting him right away then getting eaten by the flower.  I'll admit the screw up hitting the wall wasn't smart - I know you can get back, costing a few seconds.
Sleeping Enemy: Yeah, I was trying to do math in my head.  That was stupid - I should have skipped him AND I shouldn't have needed the large bag at the end.  I probably could have gotten the giant gold coin near the end and be done with it.

Thoughts: While some of it I feel is again, a bit exaggerated, I will agree there is some stupidity here, primarily involving coin count.  Rule of speed running: Never do math in your head.

Quote:
Bad Manor-
  I don’t know what the deal is here.  I don’t know what’s going on in the first pole room with the money bag and then jumping the wrong way.  And then I don’t know what’s going on when the runner doesn’t use the dash button to swim faster and then gets hit by the fish anyhow.  Then jumping two times to get up to the platform and getting gassed by the mummy to top it all off.  Uncertainty in the next room as to when to jump to avoid the bat, and some strange hesitation in the room after that.  To be honest, this whole level looked impromptu, as if the runner had hardly practiced.  I don’t know why it was kept, especially considering how short the 1st and 3rd levels were without having to collect any money.

Poles at the beginning: The pole needs to be slammed down to allow for a faster escape at the end.  That should have been obvious.  And those money bags pop out when you do so.  Jumping the wrong way was stupid looking, but didn't cost much time.
Water/Fish: Stupid, but again didn't cost hardly any time - maybe a second or 2.
Jump Twice: I thought I wasn't going to make it for some reason, so I decided to take the lesser time waster and go back and jump again.  Cost about 2 seconds.
Bat: If I don't wait, he hits me, sending me falling down and costing a lot of time.  So I wait - that should be obvious too.

Thoughts: Again, I think the mistakes are exaggerated.

Quote:
Large Fry Cookoff-
  The battle could have ended sooner if the runner hadn’t killed so many enemies and had to wait for Large Fry to make more.

Yeah, I screwed up here.

Final Thoughts: While I think most of the stuff mentioned is blown out of proportion, I know this is segmented and the stakes are higher.  So I'll just let this run fade and try again later as time allows.

Decision: Reject

Reason: The runner decided to withdraw his run.
Thread title: