List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

B ending run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I searched for a discussion topic for this game and I don't see one, but the fastest way to beat the game is by staying in bed at the start and playing the "Invade Wario Castle" scenario. You leave the game sit with no input for like 25 seconds after play control ends instead of pressing "A" to get out of bed, and the stage automatically ends. The game's over after that one chapter's 5 stages, vs. this run's path of 14 through 3 chapters. So I don't know why this was even done, because it's not low%.

Having said that I'll write a review of it anyway for the runner's assistance. Because of the route used this is a reject, I believe.

Note: Verification video has a sickening 1px bob.

V: acceptable, hopefully the source is a little sharper than this avi.
A: fine

Timing starts when you press A to get out of bed at about 1:56.5 in this video.

1/1: hesitation right at the end? otherwise optimal
1/2: hesitation at one point with water spawning enemy, didn't pick up spearman as quickly as possible to throw at blob, rest fine
1/3: accidently went back through the door right at the start. navigating through the room with the large blocks wasn't the smoothest, either. rest of the level was nicely done
1/4: two sub-optimal door entries here, rest fine
1/5: easiest boss level evar...

2/1: well done
2/2: ~2-3 seconds worth of mistakes in the very first area, not too serious but it looks bad to miss the slam.
2/3: well done on navigating the group monsters who all go crazy when you touch one. Never considered that strategy on casual playthrough... I know the swimming controls in this game are awkward but can the eels be passed a bit faster, maybe one more stroke in the slower parts?
2/4: could have maybe dealt with the destroy walls then throw enemy situation a second faster, otherwise fine

3/1: handled the controls well with the currents. taking the hit didn't waste any time, i believe, as you had to wait for the shark to run his course back. weird issue at the end getting stuck leaving the water. this game does not like to let you enter doors easily...
3/2: good use of slam-duck-sliding. lots of feisty squeezes here and they turn out pretty well, maybe 2 seconds lost.
3/3: smooth.
3/4: one of the more annoying courses in the game imo. loses 3 seconds to a spearman hit in the first switch room. after that i liked the enemy handling well, especially the bump into the spike thrower. a split second of hesitation climbing past any groups of spearmen is acceptable in this game. I can't tell if the hit in the room with the invincible flying skulls (purples) was intentional, because it turned out well strategically: it took you straight to the exit of the room and wasn't really a timewaster. The second spearman hit after that was cheap, but still cost time... it helped move the purple spike ball to a better location i guess. Another hit on the way out that doesn't cost time and actually helps by damaging another spikeball right before your invince runs out. The final room also went pretty horrible, mostly due to enemy behavior, but this level still could have been potentially 10 seconds faster. It's a much more difficult level than any of the others up to this point.
3/5: the level went really smooth and then you pulled off a really frustrating boss perfect, well done

Alright, so I'm basically saying this runner could do this about a half minute faster. That would require a little luck, but I think he should try to do that, even for 20 seconds worth of improvement, since apparently it only took 18 attempts to make this, and this run isn't very long in terms of actual play (or difficult at all in the first seven or so stages).

In light of this not being the optimal route, obv reject. I'd be on the fence if this was optimal, because the big mistakes look bad and it's not as polished with certain types of tight maneuvers (like door entry).

I then asked the verifier about the low% category and this was his response.

Quote:
Quote from mikwuyma:
The runner says even though his run isn't low%, it's still the fastest "ending B" time, as there are five endings to this game.

It's not the fastest "ending B" time, though. The levels in the game are displayed on a branched path for you to select, once you've completed one/any of the endings. The route this runner used is very clearly the second-earliest ending possible.

I felt I should describe the branching in the game to show that

- taking an alternate path in itself does not always lead to a quicker ending
- the game does not distinguish between "ending A" and "ending B", it merely has five possible endings and a storyline that flexes based on whether or not hidden stage exits are used
- taking all possible alternate paths and alternate endings into account, from start to any one ending could occur with any of the following total levels played: 6, 14, 22 (each of these a unique route), 23 (two ways possible), 24 (several ways possible), 25 (several ways possible).
- sleeping in in 1-1 is a hidden stage exit. there are many stages in which the stage is completed by doing something other than entering a door, so we can't say this is any less valid of a route to take because it involves not pressing anything for ~30 seconds.

Here's the detailed information, if it matters.

The "main route" consists of 25 stages ("stories") across five worlds ("chapters")... 1-1 through 1-5, then 2-1.... and so on to 5-5. Chapter 1, "one noisy morning", is always chapter 1, but then there are three possible chapter 2's, two possible chapter 3's, and three possible chapter 5's (chapter 4 is again always the same). Not every alternate route terminates in an alternate ending.

1-1 has an alt-exit to a chapter 2 called "invade wario castle". It is displayed as "chapter 2" when you take that route. the chapter concludes in a game ending in six stages. This is the path the TAS takes as well.

Assuming you instead go the normal way up to the point, 1-5 has two exits: one which goes to the chapter 2 of "SS tea cup" (our guy's route), and one which goes to the chapter 2 of "go to the cellar". "go to the cellar" contains no alternate exits, but it spits you out at the main chapter 3, "maze woods", the same as if you play through "SS tea cup" without taking alternate exits. in "ss tea cup" stage 4 (2-4) there is the alternate exit to the "ruins at the bottom of the sea" alternate chapter 3, which our runner takes.

"ruins" has five stages... its can end in stage 4 with a boss fight, taking you on to chapter 4 "In Town", or you can take the hidden exit in stage 4 to ruins' fifth stage, which is a different boss and contains a game ending.

There are other branches later in the game in chapter 4, offering the potential of two more alt endings via two alternate fifth chapters.

Quote:
Comments on the run:

This is the first run of this game that would be put up, so I might seem a little more lenient than others might.

First off, I'm wondering if letting Wario sleep and doing that route is slower than the route in this run.
Second, there were a couple mistakes that wasted a few seconds each and a few more minor errors.
The audio and video quality were fine.

I clocked the run at about about 18:02(including cutscenes) based on when the first chapter pops up to the last save message going away.

All this said however, most of the gameplay was very well done and if I'm wrong about the route, then there's not a lot wrong with the run at all.

I give it a pass.

Quote:
I apologise for being so off-the-ball with this one. Here's what I've got:

Note: Run should start after 15 seconds, there’s a few restarts before that

Let me just say that this category doesn’t really make sense. The earliest ending is after six stages, and the main story (no secret exits) goes for 25 stages. This run doesn’t really do either, it takes the Ruins at the Bottom of the Sea path for a 14 stage finish. If this run were accepted it would have to create a category for every single exit. There’s five exits to the game, one after 6 stages, one after 14, and then there are three different chapter 5s that you can complete. In those last three cases in particular, the runs would be identical for the first 18 stages, so I think that’s a waste of time.

Anyway, let’s continue on the proviso that this category will have its own run.

-Missed a dash-slide in 1-1 which looked really bad
-Spent a long time on a single platform in 1-2 rather than just dash-jumping off it
-Re-entered a door in 1-3
+Bubble movement in 1-3 was good overall (got through a couple of tight gaps)
-Slid right past a door in 1-4 (you can jump out of a slide!)
+1-5 boss dealt with very efficiently
-Really slow movement through the first room of 2-2, compounded by missing a ground pound a couple of times at the end
-Very slow through the eels in 2-3 (I know you can’t go past the fourth one before it pops up, at least not reliably, but that’s no excuse to approach it at a crawl)
-Room with the stove in 2-4: Probably should have gone for the crouch-jump at least one dash earlier, and there’s actually breakable blocks in the middle of that crouch, so you can jump and dash-slide to make the section much quicker
-Swum to the left at the start of a room in 3-1? Then got hit by a swordfish and took the rest of the room really slowly
+Good technique to take out the giant spear man in 3-2
-Went completely the wrong way at the end of 3-4, and then made a big mess of both picking up the enemy and then jumping off it
-Took a long time to land hits on 3-5, but I suppose I’ll grant a bit of leeway for being the final boss

Overall, I think that not only is the category not right for SDA, neither is the quality. Strong reject from me.

Decision: Reject

Reason: This run probably isn't a legitimate category, and even if the category is okay, the run has some sloppy mistakes.

The run is available until November 11th, PM me if you want a copy.
Thread title:  
DS Dictator
These single ending run reminds me of Contra Hard Corps. However there are at least more than 1 route to go to a certain ending.

Example: The Factory Ending (Chapter 5)

1-Castle (2 way split)
2-Cave or SS Tea Cup (If Tea cup there's a 2 way split)
3-Maze Woods or Ruins
4-Town
5-Factory

The Haunted Castle ending will have a similar route to the Factory Ending but during Chapter 4, you find the hidden exit on Stage 5 to lead to the Haunted castle.

An 100% run is obviously starts off from a new file and collects all 50 treasures & map pieces. It also clears all 50 main levels and clears The REALLY FINAL Chapter stage.

For the fastest time ever, it's the Invasion of Wario's Castle route like the TAS video run has.
PAL 50Hz KILL ME NOW
I'm going for a more polished run sometime soon, but is it yes or no to the category?
if no, obviously I'll drop it like a brick.

Quote:
I can't tell if the hit in the room with the invincible flying skulls (purples) was intentional,

Yes it was, opted it to be the nicest/fastest way back.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Ah, I see that my hunch was right.  I was pretty sure that that wasnt the fastest route.  I think i should've made clear that it was only a pass if the route was correct, but it seems that didn't matter.
I'm still kind of confused by the endings in this game, are they just determined by a final exit you go through? Are the endings like Contra Hard Corps, where some stages are similar, but some are different?
Exoray
The stage path is a branching tree. The endings depend on which final stage you complete which is determined by which branch you follow.
DS Dictator
Here's a simple route map of the outcome.

The Blue box is where you start, the Red boxes are the additional chapters. When many people playthrough the game for the first time they usually endup following the boxless route (from this attached image) and end up in Syrup's castle.

Haunted house has a typo :/ from the image below.

To get into 'Invasion' on Chapter 1 part 1 you need to not do anything for 20+ seconds.
To get into 'Cellar' on Chapter 1 part 5 you need to find the hidden exit.
To get into 'Ruins' on Chapter 2 (SS Tea cup) part 4 you need to find the hidden exit
To get into 'Factory' on Chapter 4 part 4 you need to find the hidden exit
To get into 'Haunted House' on Chapter 4 part 5 you need to find the hidden exit.

For Ruin's Ending you need to find a hidden exit on part 4 and defeat the boss in part 5.
I don't see why each ending can't be a separate category. The only problem would be that the three longest endings would have similar gameplay up until the end, but each ending in Contra: Hard Corps was posted.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Quote from mikwuyma:
I don't see why each ending can't be a separate category. The only problem would be that the three longest endings would have similar gameplay up until the end, but each ending in Contra: Hard Corps was posted.

This makes the most sense.  Even if we agreed on sepreate categories, there's still the question of whether the quality of the run is good enough.  Even though I said I'd accept the run for that category, that was a hard decision to make.  The gameplay could have been better at points, but Wario is not easy to control when he's constantly charging everywhere.  That might just be my ineptitude talking though.
O Zlda?
This game is too complicated  Roll Eyes

There's a new 100% TAS out and the author's comments detail the optimal ways of moving, in order of speed, so you might want to check it out, run author, if you're considering redoing (and also anyone else who's thinking about running). That + some research of my own and I think there's still multiple unacceptable spots in this run, including failing to just swim straight past the eels without pausing in 2/3, and pretty much the entire 2nd half of 3/4.

Quote from mikwuyma:
I don't see why each ending can't be a separate category.

Alright but... there's 3 different ways to reach each of the last 3 endings, technically making for 11 unique path runs which would share a very large amount of content amongst them. Do we allow free choice there?

---

I was also thinking about a 100% run. I believe it would have to be an IL table:

The 100% problem is that there is an optional random game in each stage for a treasure, and this game costs coins earned in the stage to play... then at the end of each stage is another game which uses coins out of your total inventory. Because of the mid-stage minigame's cost, there are not enough coins in the levels to where the game can be speedrun while the end-stage minigame is played "safely"... it may cost 300 coins to determine the answer with certainty, even using optimal strategy, because of how similar some of the digits in the game are. I envision a 100% IL table to allow the player to use coins from a bottomless inventory to complete this game. A 100% SS would have to reach the earliest ending and then replay an early stage several times, at least, to accumulate enough coin inventory for the damn game. It would also have to win every mid-stage minigame on "hard" on the first try, which arguably would require either a freeze-frame type feature (illegal) or a 2nd person to watch half the tiles.
SEGA Junkie
Quote from DRybes:
There's a new 100% TAS out and the author's comments detail the optimal ways of moving, in order of speed

I don't recall doing any such thing Wink

The eels in 2-3 weren't that bad, in order to get past the fourth one there's a one-frame margin of error and even then you need to start the stroke in exactly the right place. He could certainly have approached the fourth one quicker, though.

A 100% run of this game would be a complete and utter luckfest. The way I'm envisioning a continuous run is that it would have to be done effectively as individual levels, but you'd just have to gamble on the panel game at the end. Seems awfully unwieldy.

Of course, if time in the bonus games didn't count... Cheesy

I wouldn't invest too much time into it, personally.
Quote from DRybes:
This game is too complicated  Roll Eyes

Not really, everyone made it sound more complicated than it really was. Sad

Quote:
Alright but... there's 3 different ways to reach each of the last 3 endings, technically making for 11 unique path runs which would share a very large amount of content amongst them. Do we allow free choice there?

What? Only the endings are separate categories. Why would I make each path a separate category?
Exoray
Quote from DRybes:
It would also have to win every mid-stage minigame on "hard" on the first try, which arguably would require either a freeze-frame type feature (illegal) or a 2nd person to watch half the tiles.

I used to be able to finish that minigame on hard at around 75% success rate. Also this was on a regular gameboy, which means no color clues. The trick is to fixate your eyes in the middle and look for brightness changes in your periphery corresponding to the matched image.

The digit minigame will, as you say, be hard for an SS due to the high degree of randomness. I don't see what the problem would be for a 100% IL though. The runners would just have to instantly guess a number and no extra money would be needed. If they fail, they just re-record the level.
PAL 50Hz KILL ME NOW
Quote from DRybes:

free choice would be allowed, but one branch is damned to be faster than the other two, making it THE optimal speed path to that ending, obsoleting the other routes.

That's like picking robotmasters in an order that doesn't provide a faster result...sure it's different, but nobody cares, if they did, there would be like 200 different route runs for the same ending (even tho MM games usually just have one anyways, but you get the point) wich makes very little sense to me.

Been replaying WL2 a little some days ago...and you can wiggle your way out of the grasp of them eels, making it even more ugly what I did, really, I don't know where brain goes when I do that stuff.
I'm going to watch that TAS, as I am very curious to how those stages can be optimized (since I had no example of what to do so far.)
O Zlda?
Quote from moooh:
The digit minigame will, as you say, be hard for an SS due to the high degree of randomness. I don't see what the problem would be for a 100% IL though. The runners would just have to instantly guess a number and no extra money would be needed. If they fail, they just re-record the level.

The game still costs 50 coins min. to play, so a total of 100 coins would be requisite through the stage to afford both games in an IL run... which is easy on most stages of course, but it'd still have to be a requirement to end a stage with at least 50 coins so the IL run isn't tapping into coin inventory from other stages.

Another fun IL issue is that you can't replay a minigame if you've already won it, and the game auto-saves at the end of each level. Keep one hand on the reset button...