1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

Joseph 'Tranquilite' Schurig's 100%, any%, and single-segment run with deaths.

Verifier Responses

100% run (note, it's not worth labeling with deaths because you have to die once to get 100%)

Quote:
Alright, i followed this run from start to finish in its forum thread, really enjoyed seeing the progress.

I got a kick out of the close call save skips in the tower, and especially liked the gravitron given that he survived the whole damned thing. 1 death is a great achievement for a play through this game.

I'd accept and demand to see an SS run next!

Quote:
Wow, that was amazing. I don't think it can really get much faster than that. There was never hesitation for any tricky maneuvers. Everything was performed flawlessly. And completely deathless outside of the trinket requiring one.

Accept this, it's perfect. If only someone could make an SS run now!

Quote:
This run is excellent. Mustn't be more than a couple of seconds of gainable time on this route, and what other route would make sense? Hub-based as the game is, the order of the rescues doesn't affect the time.

This is the kind of run SDA needs. Smiley

Quote:
Fantastic run! Audio/video quality is great, and the runner absolutely destroys the game. The route taken was very efficient, and extremely well executed. I can't see this run being improved upon without the discovery of some new tricks.

Accept.

Quote:
can't say no to this. legit run, very well performed, near perfect (?) ...

ACCEPT

oh, and am I assuming correctly that the player is left-handed?

any% (both segmented and SS)

Quote:
That SS borders on perfection, though I'm doubtful a run faster than just a few seconds is possible. The lack of hesitation in almost every room is really impressive.
Accept.

Quote:
I'd say the any% segmented borders as close to perfection as anyone is going to get. No deaths, no slowdown or hesitation, and since path taken is overall irrelevant, I can't see how it really could be improved.
That time saving trick in The Tower was really impressive.
Accept.

Quote:
Both of these runs are awesome. The only significant differences between the segmented and single-segment is that the segmented run is deathless and it has time-saving tricks in tower.

Why haven't I accepted this earlier? D:

Decision: Accept

Reason: These runs speak for themselves.
Thread title:  
It is theoretically possible to get 100% without deaths, on no-death mode they remove the spikes on the ceiling and change the name of the room to something like "I didn't expect you to get this far", but in that case you cannot segment, so I guess for segmented that would be correct.

Quote:
oh, and am I assuming correctly that the player is left-handed?

Actually... I am right handed, and I actually use two different hand positions through the course of the run. Normally I will use right hand on arrow keys, left hand on space bar, but during cutscenes and button mashing parts, I will use left hand on WASD, and right hand mashing space bar. It is actually kind of a retarded way to do things as I tend to make mistakes when switching between, and while the WASD+space would be the best option, but I didn't really think to do it that way until it was already too late and most of my muscle memory was with the arrow keys. I am sure everyone wanted to know that...

Anyway, as far as possible improvements, the only way I can think of would be to do no-death mode, as cutscenes can be turned off. Additionally, I found a couple of room improvements in the Warp Zone while watching time trial vids on YouTube that may save a handful of seconds Tongue

...also, does anybody else really like watching their own speedruns, or am I just really vain?
Yay. These runs were awesome.

Quote:
Anyway, as far as possible improvements, the only way I can think of would be to do no-death mode, as cutscenes can be turned off.

I would seriously be in awe of a speedrun on no-death mode. Especially a 100% run. Tongue

Quote:
Additionally, I found a couple of room improvements in the Warp Zone while watching time trial vids on YouTube that may save a handful of seconds Tongue

:O links?

Quote:
...also, does anybody else really like watching their own speedruns, or am I just really vain?

Yeah I do this too. Maybe we're both vain.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Quote from Tranquilite:

Depends on the run, I've definitely watched Jak & Daxter over again, but none of the others. I've watched parts of Vandal Hearts, but haven't sat through the entire thing since I've written my comments.
Edit history:
Tranquilite: 2011-03-27 05:36:42 pm
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
Quote:
Additionally, I found a couple of room improvements in the Warp Zone while watching time trial vids on YouTube that may save a handful of seconds Tongue

:O links?

Faster "Time to get Serious", "Shock Wave rider" (not sure if this is faster or not...), and "That's why I have to kill you". Well perhaps they weren't that much faster, but they were faster.

I kind of wish I would have spent more time looking through the videos on the VVVVVV forums. Chances are there are more little time-savers.
Willing to teach you the impossible
WOW... this game is trippy
Hail Discordia!
Congratulations, Tranquilite! These runs are a most welcome addition. Smiley
Hey tranquilite, just bumping to give you some long-overdue recognition for your awesome runs (I was a verifier).

I find the SS most impressive because you died so little that the game didn't do a good job of picking your hardest room. Tongue
Obscure games ftw
I was impressed by these runs when I first saw them.
Now that I've played the game they're several times more impressive.

Re-watching the 100% though, I have an improvement to Gordian Knot: the current run goes through the room and around through Backsliders, when I played through I flipped between the 2 platforms skipping the lower part of Backsliders completely.
Was this on version 2.X, or 1.X?
Obscure games ftw
2, since you're asking I'm guessing there's a version difference.
Which raises the question-would 1.x and 2.x be different categories?
Not a walrus
I'm not sure it's possible to get 1.X any more. I don't think the rules really account for that, so I'm not sure what the result would be.
When they ported the game from flash to C++, they introduced a large number of small differences. Chances are this is one of them. The unavailability of the 1.X versions of the game also makes things a sticky situation. Additionally, bugs are still being actively pointed out and fixed for the 2.X versions, so any of the bigger differences such as the slight game speed difference can be fixed (I pointed this one out on the developer forums, and the game dev has responded saying it has now been fixed, and will be in the next patch).

If you were to ask me though, I would say the version differences are not great enough to warrant a separate category.
Waiting hurts my soul...
Different PC versions have yet to mean a separate category, and the fastest version should be used.
Edit history:
mikwuyma: 2011-11-24 09:16:20 pm
Well the problem is that if the 1.x versions are faster, it's not like it's easy to revert back to those versions. We haven't really accounted for these situations yet, but they're becoming increasingly common. We might want to go with the latest version in these cases if there's no way to download an old version.
Talk to the Hand
How does Steam actually work? Does it force-update you to the latest versions of games? I ask more for curiosity's sake than anything else.
Edit history:
Caracarn: 2011-11-28 05:30:02 pm
You can disable auto-updating on a game-by-game basis in Steam, but there is still the problem of reverting to an older version if you have already updated it.
Exoray
Actually I've seen that disabling auto-update doesn't do what you'd expect it to do.
The only real way of keeping a game at a specific version is to have offline mode turned on. But as soon as you go online again, it'll start patching. This is not very feasible either.
Not a walrus
Maybe keeping a steam backup? Not the kind of thing we should expect since it requires some forethought...
Exoray
The thing is that anyone else wanting to compete against a particular run at a later date will have no way of obtaining the version that was used. So yeah, would require one helluva forethought Smiley
Willing to teach you the impossible
Steam sucks...
Incidentally enough, I purchased VVVVVV directly through the developers website, which is why I still have the installer for v1.2 as well as an un-updated copy. However this doesn't really change the fact that versions earlier than 2.0 are no longer legally available. I suppose that is the problem with games that are purely digital distribution.
Edit history:
ZenicReverie: 2011-11-30 02:17:36 pm
Waiting hurts my soul...
I think this is an issue that goes beyond VVVVVV. I know Aquaria is another game that had some major skips in an early version of the game, but now that version is no longer available. Maybe this should spawn a new discussion in a new thread?
I Speedrun PC games everyday.
Quote from mikwuyma:
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet.

The page does exist now.

and OH BOY do I not want to get to the 60 second level
Not a walrus
It didn't when he posted that.