mikwuyma: 2009-05-05 07:45:23 am
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet, and might not ever. Cry

Single-segment run as Thumper normal difficulty

Quote:
On the Twisted Metal 2 Thumper run

Audio/Video Quality are good

No Cheating

The Runners decision to run with Thumper has been a debated one for awhile now; Axel would of probably been the faster option but with Twisted Metal 2 each car is too different to create a "median" time.(Individual table please? lol) Despite this the runners time with Thumper is nonetheless impressive.

So level by level:

Los Angeles-Warthog,Grimm,Outlaw 2,Grasshopper were all good; Axel got a special off but the time lost was minimal;Twister went a lil awry. Only real mistake was that remote bomb miss but was pretty little.

Moscow-Roadkill,Sweet Tooth,Outlaw 2 were all good; Warthog got away but was a quick kill at the end; Shadow was sloppy but ended up being a quick kill. Overall the level went well

Paris-I'll point out the big mistake first, Using the Eifel tower strategy backfired bigtime whereas Mr Grimm took too long to port up. Its somewhat redeemed when Shadow ports up and the runner got him but overall Grimm got away in the end. I think it would of been much fast and better to just head down and pick Grimm,Shadow and Axel off; Big stinkeroo here. Twister starting(and getting stuck) on a rooftop didnt do any justice but Paris always has 1 enemy that starts up there. Spectre,Hammerhead,Shadow,Axel,Twister were all good, Grimm see above. Easily the worst part of the run here.

Amazonia-Roadkill,Axel,Outlaw 2 were all good; Warthog glitched in the water there and managed to get away; Spectre didnt go so well; and Twister nailed him pretty bad. Minion was OK, However the runners weapon accuracy was a lil poor.

New York-The runner employed the best strategy here, he just didnt have any luck with it, With all those enemies on 1 side it might of been faster to push them off the building they jump off after destroying Outlaw 2. Outlaw 2,Grimm,Warthog,Road Kill,Sweet Tooth and Grasshopper were all good. The level could of gone quicker.

Antartica-Mr. Slam; The runner had a golden oppourtunity to tear him up when Slam caught Twister however he didnt take it; a remote bomb,special or even a napalm followed by a quick finish of Slam would of been the best thing to do here instead he almost manhandled him when he tried to get away. Spectre,Road Kill,Shadow,Axel were all good;The runner kills Hammerhead instead of bombarding him off,this saved time;Twister manhandled him a lil bit;Slam see above.

Holland-Slam,Hammerhead,Grasshopper,Shadow,Spectre,Twister,Outlaw 2 were all good. Sweet Tooth manhandled the runner a lil bit but good recovery. Who knows what happened to Grimm but he died lol.

Hong Kong-Grimm,Spectre,Outlaw 2,Road Kill,Warthog,Axel,Sweet Tooth all were good. Not finishing Hammerhead off would of been a mistake but the runner got him in a good spot when he met up again so ill let that slide lol. Dark Tooth went well considering the death, he got a good respawn; Dieing here actually saved him time rather then running and reloading. Dark Tooth 2 was fast.

Overall the run was well done, few mistakes cost him some precious time but its a Thumper run and a good 1 at that. I'd like to see it improved a bit though but overall accept and hope we get an IL of cars going lol.

Quote:
Well I'm saying this after the fact, but I thought this run was really good, despite some shitty luck. The play was solid - the runner knew where the good item pickups were and destroyed the rival cars quickly. There were a couple of crummy moments, like hanging out in the Eiffel Tower for too long (not sure if that was a good idea in the first place) bad luck in New York, and missing a prime opportunity to rape Mr. Slam and Twister in Antarctica. Most of the bad moments were due to luck and not the runner's fault, which is naturally going to happen in such a random game. Also, I'm not sure the Antarctica incident matters that much since the runner got insane luck bumping off everyone.

Aside from those moments, the run was quite good. New York and Moscow went smoothly, and Holland was especially :o, considering the runner DIDN'T DIE IN A TINY STAGE WITH NINE CARS. The Dark Tooth battle was especially impressive. So yeah, I would pass this except it doesn't pass. Undecided

Quote:
Ahhh...fond memories of me and a buddy playing co-op on this way back when. We actually used to use a Thumper (me) and Shadow (him) combo that worked nicely.

But enough reminiscing.

Audio/Video were both fine.
No cheating detected.

Choice of Character: Excellent (not being biased either). Thumper's special is ridiculously powerful if you can keep them in the flames the whole time.

--Stage by Stage--
Los Angeles: It felt a little slow, but he was spending quite a bit of time picking up weapons, which is acceptable since you don't start with much.

Moscow: This one was fast. He made quick work of the enemies, even with the couple of problems he claimed he had.

Paris: I didn't like this one. I really feel he could have been much more aggresive. Waiting in the Tower is a gamble, which I believe cost him overall. After picking up the items up there, he waited almost 25 seconds for anyone to actually appear. 2 came up, and he only killed one, and that one almost escaped as well. I think for a speed run, unless someone follows you up into the tower (we're talking like within 5 or so seconds), then it's not worth the time to wait for them. The damage he did to both was high, I'll admit, but it could have been done on the ground as well, and the time he spent waiting I just don't think was worth the damage done.

Amazonia: Despite the fact that he was happy with this one, I thought it wasn't half bad. He made quick work of most enemies. Getting caught by Twister almost cost him a death, but she was in an awkward position, and he managed to recover.

Minion: Another he wasn't happy with that I didn't think was that bad. Minion's a bitch, hands down. While he almost die trying to kill him, the fact remains - he went down. I think he would have been better off not repositioning after the initial attack until his Flamethrower finished. He would have eaten a little damage for it, but it may have given him a better chance to get a second freeze off.

New York: Worst stage in the run. Entirely not aggressive enough. The stage has many places where a Ricochet can knock an enemy off, but he chose to wait in one spot for them to come to him. 30 seconds for Mr. Grimm, then another 15 or so for Warthog, then almost 35 for Road Kill to come up from the bottom platform, followed by almost 15 of waiting for Grasshopper, who didn't come up. Sweet Tooth went down in about 5 seconds flat when he did finally come out and play. Realistically, I think a lot of time could be shaved by actively hunting them down, and knocking them off if they happen to be close enough to an edge. Heck, just going down to the lower platform to deal with Road Kill instead of waiting would have helped.

Antarctica: Another game of wait for it. The enemies came to him a bit quicker than they did in New York, but I still feel that he could have been a bit more aggressive. There quite a few places to knock people off on this one as well, just a bit farther apart than New York. I'd say try and find people near the edge and go after them. He spent about 1 full minute on the island for 3 kills, with the last one being lucky. If he had only went with 2 and then went back some time could have been shaved I think. He also should have picked up all the items on the island when he first teleported there rather than waiting.

Holland: This one was good compared to the last 2. My only gripe is he didn't have enough focus fire on any one person early on, which could have resulted in a reduction of the damage he was taking. This stage is probably the hardest, and  I would have allowed a death here due to the fact it would have given him another special to work with and a full health bar...though he didn't need it.

Hong Kong: Aggressive early, then timid for the latter half. I think he would have been better off only hitting the harbor when the weapons in the streets weren't there. He stayed in the Harbor too long and wound up with very little ammo for Dark Tooth because of it. He probably should have gone back for ammo when he was getting health.

Dark Tooth: Went as well as it could have with what he had for ammo. The death actually helped him here since it gave him more specials to work with.

Dark Tooth Head: Why this is the final boss, I don't know. The head is easier than the truck by a wide margin, and a much lower defense, which is evident from how much damage his special does. I don't think any time could be shaved here except for possibly a better start location.

OK, so, a few stages seemed a little slow, and there were 3 I outright didn't like.

At the risk of seeming overly harsh, I'm actually rejecting this based on New York, Antarctica, and Paris. I really feel being more aggressive would have been faster on those 3 stages, rather than sitting and waiting for them to come to him. If he really insists on waiting, he needs to be more critical of how long he's willing to wait for them to come to him. For a run that's only about 25 minutes long, waiting as long as he did was outright unacceptable.

Quote:
*Edit on video quality* While the quality is fine to watch the run, verifying the ammo counts is hard because of the blocking from the encode (not sure if this can be cleaned up, but it would be helpful)

There's no cheating in the run, and all ammo matches up from previous levels. The only request for future runs would be to have runners change the ammo on the side to the listbox instead of the standard icons (the list shows all ammo/weapons instead of just what's selected, should be select + right while playing IIRC).

***WARNING FOR MIKE: There is an intentional death while fighting the last boss, this is to refill ammo and is the fastest way to fight Dark Tooth that I know of.***

From the start it's apparent that the runner has practiced this game a lot. Aside from the few random snags, the run maintains a high quality for the majority of the levels. My biggest complaints would be with Paris and New York, since in both of those levels the runner waits for the enemies to find him (for people who haven't played the game before, those spots will seem really off), and the Minion fight.

Level 1: Los Angeles
Right off the bat the run starts out great, with Warthog and Mr. Grimm going down without much of a fight. His next victims are Axel and Outlaw, who also go down pretty easily. For Twister, he decides to show off with some impressive backwards driving + shooting, then finishes off Grasshopper when she stops to say "Hi."

Level 2: Moscow
He took a few shots in this level, but nobody put up a fight at all. I was even shocked that Sweet Tooth was taken out so quickly since he's always a pain. Starting with Roadkill, he systematically wipes them all out in record time. I've now decided that he didn't choose Thumper to play the game, but his alter ego "Humper" (just watch his play style, you'll get it).

Level 3: Paris
Specter apparently didn't know what hit him, since he didn't even scream when he died. I had to double check to make sure, but he actually did get turned to kibble. Right after Hammerhead bites the big one is the first "meh" moment for me. He grabs some ammo, then waits on the second level of the Eiffel tower for a few victims, who take their sweet time showing up to the party. They get corralled into the corner with a few bombs, but he fails to use a remote mine to take them both out in one shot. I understand why he didn't want to tempt fate by taking down the tower (since the AI likes to get lost on the rooftops), but overall it probably would've saved him time since two enemies would've been wasted. He does recover since Mr. Grimm doesn't go very far and Shadow didn't get to touch the ground before he was taken out, but it's disappointing to watch him wait for two victims then pass up the opportunity to waste em both. The rest of the level goes very well.

Level 4: Amazonia
The start of the level was very well executed. Not only did he take out Roadkill quickly, but he was able to take Axel down to critical health and then finish him off immediately afterwards. The glitching through Warthog was pretty funny in itself, even if it did cost him a few more seconds. Too bad the shot of the century with the napalm missed. The only enemy to give any trouble was twister, but it didn't waste more than maybe 5 seconds since she went down quickly to the humping prowess.

The Minion fight is where I have a bit of a problem with the run. I am impressed that he went down that easily, but after reviewing it again and reading the runner's comments, it's easy to tell how much faster the fight could have been.

Level 5: New York
This is the second "meh" moment for me. The strategy was to gather some ricochet bombs and blast people off the rooftops for a quick kill. Since he already grabbed two pickups for the bombs on the previous level he didn't have to get many here. Unfortunately luck wasn't on his side and it took a long time before anybody walked into his trap. First it was Mr. Grimm, then Warthog. For Roadkill, he had to move to the right side and wait some more. The only one he went after was Sweet Tooth (Outlaw was taken out on route to setting up the trap so she doesn't count heh), and then got lucky with Grasshopper showing up to say "Hi" before getting blown off the edge. Overall, the level was a snooze since it was nothing but waiting. The strategy is fine, but I'm wondering how much time would've been saved by going after a few of them instead of just waiting.

Level 6: Antarctica
He starts off a little rough, but manages to take out Twister without much of a struggle. Getting away from Mr. Slam was rocky, but overall not a bad decision. There is another waiting section, but this one I have no major complaints about since it pays off big-time: 4 enemies (Mr. Slam, Specter, Roadkill, and Shadow) all decide to show up to the party in almost record time (Shadow was slightly late, but ya can't win em all). He does hesitate for a few seconds in case someone else comes through, but it doesn't cost him much time. The graphics glitch out when fighting Axel and Hammerhead, but it's clear to see how he takes them down.

Level 7: Holland
A rough estimate puts the time for this level at about 3:25, which is really impressive considering the amount of enemies and how little you get from the ammo pickups. The start is nothin but drive-by's to weaken everybody, then after he stocks up on some missiles, it's back to his Humpin ways. There were a few really close calls (I thought he was dead when I heard Specter's missiles) but he managed the health pickups nicely (and got lucky that the one tower wasn't taken out). Sweet Tooth shows why he's so (^&$#^%$#$# annoying, but was still taken out without much of a problem.

Level 8: Hong Kong
He starts off with a lot of luck having so many enemies around him, then runs out of ammo, which forces him to scurry around the map looking for more pickups. It only gets worse once he runs out of Turbo. While it's not as bad as his New York segment, it still burns up a lot of time trying to get enough ammo. Eventually it semi-pays off since he's able to take down 3 enemies fairly quickly, but an intentional death right there might have saved the time it took to hunt down weapons and health. The level ends on a funny note: Dark Tooth screaming "You killed my son!!!" right after he takes out Sweet Tooth. Nice timing there.

Dark Tooth:
Wow..........that's all I have to say about this fight. I've never seen Dark Tooth taken down that fast. The death abuse was a nice touch too. Anyone who's played this game knows this level flat out sucks when you run out of ammo in the last fight. He even takes down the clown face in the second fight without breaking a sweat. I had to rewind and watch the fight again because I blinked the first time.

Decision: Reject

Overall I am impressed with the progress the runner has made with this game, however the "meh" moment in New York alone, along with knowing how much faster the Minion fight can be are enough for me to hold off on accepting this. It is a shame though since a lot of the run is very impressive, and I do understand how much of this game relies heavily on luck (along with the AI playing friendly) but I don't want to let a run through that can be improved so much.

Here is what I told the runner and his response.

Quote:
Quote from mikwuyma:
There are some verifiers who want to reject your run based on what happened in New York. These verifiers think that it would have been faster to chase down some of the enemies.

You didn't explain why you didn't chase down enemies, but I think it's because the stage is stupid big and chasing down enemies might waste just as much time, if not more. If my reasoning is wrong, please correct me.

P.S. If you could provide a video where you do chase down the enemies in New York, that would be great. Or I can ask the verifiers to try chasing down the enemies themselves.

I agree with your reasoning. I don't have any such video because I decided while planning that this was the way to go.

That's my normal strategy for NY. It's a much more reliable strategy for getting good times and it also has the potential to be very quick if you get the right luck. You can't say either of those things about going after the enemies in this stage. Plus, you don't have to go around collecting weapons.

I don't think it was that slow though (2:35). I have gotten under 2 minutes twice in runs, but most of time I'm around 2:20 or so. My last five record breaking runs before this had NY times of 2:20, 2:26, 2:30, 2:19, and 2:21.

There was a little bad luck, especially having to wait for Roadkill. But I feel that any bad luck in this stage was more than made up for in Antarctica, where I employed the same strategy and had my 2nd best time ever there.

This is what the rejecting verifiers shot back.

Quote:
As I mentioned in my comments, if he really wants to stick to that strat, he needs to be more willing to restart if luck isn't on his side. New York Starts about 11 minutes into the video or so, which to me, isn't that long a period and certainly within the "restart if something isn't going my way" bounds. We're not talking having bad luck at like 1-2+ hours or something, where I would be much more lenient.

Aside, I also rejected based on Paris/Antarctica, however I'll retract the Antarctica point since he at least decent luck with the first 2 appearing back to back. I still feel he should have left after the second one though.

Paris, however, I also stand by, since he waited for about 25 seconds for them to show up, and still had to chase one down.

As for how much of a bitch it can be to chase the computer players down: Yes, I know it can be bad. But we're talking about a 22ish minute run here. If things aren't going his way, he needs to be more willing to restart. Luck manipulation is an integral part of speed running, and while getting 22 minutes of perfect luck would be something reserved for a TAS, having a least no bad luck is something within our bounds.

At the risk of (still) sounding overly harsh, I'm going to stand by the rejection.

Quote:
Verifier: when it comes to the new york segment in the twisted metal 2 run, it's not that I don't like his strategy, it's a viable one and definitely the quickest
Verifier: but my problem with it comes from the fact that he waited for about 30 seconds before anybody came after him instead of trying to bait them at all
Verifier: and roadkill he could've easily gone after to bait him instead of waiting another 10-ish seconds
Verifier: unfortunately I can't even make it back up to new york, I'm too rusty Smiley
Verifier: I also based my verdict on the fact that the runner himself wasn't really happy with that segment, and he also said he wasn't too happy with the way Paris went either, along with him saying that his fight against Minion wasn't the greatest
Verifier: the other thing that got me from his amazonia segment was that he wasted two ricochet bombs on spectre when he knew he needed them for the next level and getting the two pickups after minion wasn't even planned
me: okay that's fine
me: I guess the run is rejected then Cry
Verifier: don't get me wrong, I really love the run, but those few segments just need to have the kinks ironed out
Verifier: they just seemed really sloppy compared to the rest
me: btw
me: you know the run was single-segment right?
Verifier: yes
Verifier: okay
Verifier: just when you say segments
me: it sounds kind of funny
Verifier: hahaha, well I mean levels, I'm pretty sure you get that though Smiley

Decision: Reject

Reason: Because of two doodyheads who want better luck Angry

I'm sorry IMW. Sad

P.S. I hate not abusing my authority.

Run available upon request until May 20th, pm me.
Thread title:  
This is sad; The Runner employed some of the best strategies but didnt get much luck with them. I watched him take this run down from 30+ minutes to 22. Sub 20 is possible but EVERYTHING hasto go his way and with Twisted Metal 2 that really never happens. I urge the runner to come near this time again but without the mistakes, hes a pro and deserves the record
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How many attempts were made with the latest strategy? if it's like 500 then I say that's good enough, 20, 30 are too few. Almost all luck factors were wrong except the main one on Metal Warriors SS, and had human mistakes and everything, with a loss of at least 2 minutes and I wouldn't have expected it to be rejected, specially due to luck.
I think we should have a veto for that sort of thing.
Verifiers don't want the run to be posted. Fine.
What If it could go in the hands of the public to choose weither or not it should be posted, I mean it's still a record, right?
I think it's unfair for he who worked on a run like this, just my 2 cents.
boss
Quote from AjAX:
What If it could go in the hands of the public to choose weither or not it should be posted, I mean it's still a record, right?

That's one bad idea. There's no excuse for submitting an inferior run nowadays.
RE: Verifier #3

Quote:
Paris: I didn't like this one. I really feel he could have been much more aggresive. Waiting in the Tower is a gamble, which I believe cost him overall. After picking up the items up there, he waited almost 25 seconds for anyone to actually appear. 2 came up, and he only killed one, and that one almost escaped as well. I think for a speed run, unless someone follows you up into the tower (we're talking like within 5 or so seconds), then it's not worth the time to wait for them. The damage he did to both was high, I'll admit, but it could have been done on the ground as well, and the time he spent waiting I just don't think was worth the damage done.

I don't think Paris went that well either, but I have benchmarks for time in the early stages. I try to get under 2 minutes for LA, 3:30 for LA/Moscow, and 6 minutes for the first 3 stages and I did that here. I probably get one run that goes past the first 3 stages for every hour that I play.

Quote:
New York: Worst stage in the run. Entirely not aggressive enough. The stage has many places where a Ricochet can knock an enemy off, but he chose to wait in one spot for them to come to him. 30 seconds for Mr. Grimm, then another 15 or so for Warthog, then almost 35 for Road Kill to come up from the bottom platform, followed by almost 15 of waiting for Grasshopper, who didn't come up. Sweet Tooth went down in about 5 seconds flat when he did finally come out and play. Realistically, I think a lot of time could be shaved by actively hunting them down, and knocking them off if they happen to be close enough to an edge. Heck, just going down to the lower platform to deal with Road Kill instead of waiting would have helped.

I could've got better luck, but like I said it really wasn't that bad. The stage time was 2:35. That's like 10 seconds worse than normal. 2 seconds per car. I get the feeling that if I had the exact same time but with a different strategy you would've loved it.

Let's get some facts straight:

- First of all, any time you wait for enemies, they don't show up automatically. It takes some time for them to start to home in on you. At least 15 seconds whether here or Antarctica.

- Going to the lower level with Roadkill is not a smart strategy when I can wait a handful of seconds and kill him in one shot. You run the risk of him freezing you, him not being in the correct position, etc.

I ended up waiting 20 seconds for him. About halfway through that, I realize that he started to drive away, taking longer than normal. At that point, there's nothing I could really do. I highly doubt going after him at that point would've saved any time. He then came back and was killed.

- There is no waiting for Grasshopper. I ran over there because I saw her coming over on the radar. It turns out that she jumped to the lower level instead; I thought she had jumped off to her death. At that point I'm sitting there waiting for Sweet Tooth to be in the right position to freeze.

Quote:
Antarctica: Another game of wait for it. The enemies came to him a bit quicker than they did in New York, but I still feel that he could have been a bit more aggressive. There quite a few places to knock people off on this one as well, just a bit farther apart than New York. I'd say try and find people near the edge and go after them. He spent about 1 full minute on the island for 3 kills, with the last one being lucky. If he had only went with 2 and then went back some time could have been shaved I think. He also should have picked up all the items on the island when he first teleported there rather than waiting.

4 kills on the island, motherfucker. Pay attention. 4 kills in 1 minute, that's 15 seconds a kill. The entire run has an average of 24 seconds per kill (including bosses). "Find people near the edge and go after them." That's a really naive statement. You could make an argument for that in NY, but for this stage that's impossible. Enemies just don't hang around the edges in this stage, and even if they did it's not gonna be faster and much more difficult.

That's the second fastest Antarctica time I've ever got, and you have a problem with it. That blows my mind.

Not to mention that NY and Antarctica are both pretty luck reliant. I think you have to look at them together, and combined they turned out pretty well here.

Quote:
Hong Kong: Aggressive early, then timid for the latter half. I think he would have been better off only hitting the harbor when the weapons in the streets weren't there. He stayed in the Harbor too long and wound up with very little ammo for Dark Tooth because of it. He probably should have gone back for ammo when he was getting health.

This is not Aggressive Demos Archive. I would love to know where you think I should've picked up ammo which would've saved time. And I did get ammo while I was getting the health. Did you miss the fire missile, napalm, power missile, and remote?

Conclusion

Go fuck yourself.
lol the gay part of this is; if this run was 24:00 but didnt have the stalls of Antarctica New York or Paris it would be a hands down acceptance ;/
Well I, for one, would like to see a critic of the strategies employed by the runner post video proof of a faster strategy.  Go ahead and post a video of Antarctica, Paris, or New York where you are "more aggressive" and let's see how the times match up.

I agree it makes the run look slow, but his times are very good.  And aggressiveness shouldn't count more than overall time.
Complete. Global. Saturation.
Quote from scaryice:
Conclusion

Go fuck yourself.

This shit just got real.
Quote from The_Quiet_Man:
Quote from scaryice:
Conclusion

Go fuck yourself.

This shit just got real.

Word.
There's a thread about this kind of shit in SDA discussion at the minute. If you're going to reject something, you have a duty to demonstrate that the improvements you're suggesting actually work, IMO.
Quote from The_Quiet_Man:
This shit just got real.

Grin

I was gonna edit that part after I posted it, but whatever.
I normally don't keep defaults, but I do love SDA!
Quote from ExplodingCabbage:
There's a thread about this kind of shit in SDA discussion at the minute. If you're going to reject something, you have a duty to demonstrate that the improvements you're suggesting actually work, IMO.

Yeah, I was gonna post it in here, but i figured it would garner greater debate if I put it on the main board.

I didn't see the TM2 run, but from what it sounds like, 20 minutes are incredible while 2 are "so-so", doesn't seem right to ignore 90% of the good stuff and focus only on the 10% bad.
Visit my profile to see my runs!
Okay, I've watched the run now (thanks Mike!), and I have to say, I'm not sure I agree with the rejection.  I apologize to scaryice, because I did not know the run was in the verification stage since I haven't been around too much, and had I there's a possibility I could have defended the run as a verifier.

Now, all that said I don't want to start a flame war.  Telling verifiers to fuck themselves is fucking stupid in itself.  If the guy was just wrong, you shouldn't take it personally.  It's a discredit to the verifier's integrity that he was so lazy to not get the correct number of kills on the island, or to claim to have extensive knowledge of the game enough to determine whether or not the runner was saving sufficient amounts of time by playing passively when clearly he didn't.. or whatever. 

And on that last note, I'd like to say that while just sitting there waiting for enemies seems to waste a considerable amount of time when you look at it out of context, think about what he WOULD HAVE HAD TO DO if he were chasing each car down individually.  So, he chases down Sweet Tooth in New York, then the other cars are all miles apart from each other, jacking around in their poor A.I. mindsets, and scaryice has to then reorient himself, find the quickest route to them, grab an assload of ammo between each one, and then proceed to kill one and begin pursuing the next car on the list and accomplish the same number of kills all in that pivotal minute-thirty in the middle of the run.  I dunno, man... I sure wouldn't wanna' do that...

But anyway, I'm on the fence about how much better the run could have been.  The time, 22 minutes, I still say is pretty incredible, although after looking at the run I think it could have been improved to some extent.  If it were my website, I would probably look for other verifiers who also have not seen the run or been involved in the discussion (I guess I'm out again) and try to increase the number of opinions.

EDIT:  To post below, yeah, that's kind of how I feel a little bit.  I feel it could have been done slightly better or quicker (and I think on a couple of occasions scaryice was able to beat this run but he wasn't recording or he messed up the ending or something similar), but I don't think a rejection should be about waiting for cars to come after you.  I don't care if that strategy seems boring or passive (TAS videos comes to mind again); I think being aggressive could have only been just barely faster if everything went absolutely perfectly.  In the end, I'm not sure how much better the run could have been.  I kind of feel like what Rattlingjoint said was completely dead on, though.  If there hadn't been portions of waiting, but the length of the run ended up being a minute or two longer, I'm pretty much positive the run would have been accepted.  That seems wrong on all levels..
(user is banned)
I just watched this run, thanks to mike XD, and I was very impressed by the player's skills. But from my point of view it still could be improved of at least a minute and half easly -as long as it's played by the same person.-

If your run involves randomness, then manipulate it. Restart until you get impressed yourself by the final product, come up with a time that you didn't even think possible. If I was a verifier, I'd reject it for the simple reason that I know you can do better. Your skills are awesome, only the run was not at the same level. Come up with a video that involves both skills and luck manipulation, and your run will definitely be approved.
Quote from Wak:
I just watched this run, thanks to mike XD, and I was very impressed by the player's skills. But from my point of view it still could be improved of at least a minute and half easly -as long as it's played by the same person.-

Easily? Yeah right. I said it before, but I get maybe one run that goes to NY for every hour that I play.
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2009-06-28 06:23:36 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
How could this run be rejected?  It's probably better than at least 75% of the runs on this site.  What are the rules on whether a run is accepted or not, clearly something needs to be changed if all it takes is two people (or one imposture claiming to be two) with nothing but internet access to say no for bad reasons.  If this is all it takes, one person could single handily make sure a new run is never accepted at SDA ever again for as long as he lives.
Currently occupying the grey area.
Spider-Waffle, regarding the one verifier preventing runs, I think mike would put up with that sort of thing for about 2 seconds. having said that, I haven't seen the run or played the game, so I can't comment on this case specifically.
Honestly, since there seems to be enough outrage, why not just allow the run onto the site and then wait to see if anybody else improves it? If it is bad enough to make the case of a decline, surely someone will be able to quickly enough.
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Nah, get it on youtube.
Currently occupying the grey area.
I'd watch it, if it was posted somewhere.
spread the dirt to the populace
why would anybody even consider using axel for a speedrun
(user is banned)
Edit history:
Spider-Waffle: 2009-08-29 05:25:58 pm
Don't think!  feeeeeal
I'd love to see this, can't get a hold of the verification copy though, could someone edit out the SDA verification tag and host it if the runner approves?  I talked to him on PM and he didn't seem to care too much, this whole fiasco has just left him apathetic it seems.

I've concluded that the best to solve this would be for mike to use his power and overide.  He intuitively thought this was the right thing to do, but was affraid that would send the message that the verification process doesn't matter.  I really don't think many people would get that message though.  They verified no cheating, most verifiers liked the run, two draconian/naive verifiers thought he it could be a little better and thus reason not to accept.  I think most people would take mike's use of power well and it would improve the verification process if anything.

If I were Mike I'd be much more concerned with giving the message to runners that if you're a talented, skilled runner and you spend hundreds of hours making a very good speed run that would be very hard to reproduce/beat by anyone, it can easily get rejected by two naive verifiers and SDA will do nothing to fix the situation.
we have lift off
I have to agree with Spider-Waffle on this. The number of people who have said the verifiers made the wrong decision says it all really. The runner seems to have defended himself well. I think its important that Mike has the final say so that in very rare situations such as this he can overrule and say no, the runner has already spent ages at this and can't improve it and its a great run so accept.
PLZ PLZ stop bumping this topic... seriously

I've said a few times now I was verifier number one for this run and as you can see I voted Accept intially. BUT I also pointed out all the bad mistakes that made the Reject verifiers reject and upon re-reading the verification comments and watching the run again I wanted to overturn my decision to Reject. Why? The was good when it was good, When the run was bad, it was slow and wasnt pleasing to the eye. If anyone was being Naive it was really me lol. Again cut out the big mistakes(and a couple smaller 1s) and it would of been a run for the ages; sadly it didnt turn out that way, and if Mike uses his power to re-open a verification process then he'll haveto do it for every run thats rejected and worse, those who want to verify an accepted run in an attempt to overturn it. Let the integrity stay, After playing Twisted Metal 2 for over a decade now I'm ready to see a run more then anyone.