1 page
--
--
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
1-Up!
Game Page: http://speeddemosarchive.com/Turok2.html

This is an any% SS hard mode run and an any% segmented hard mode run.

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I got around to verifying the single segment run this month with my bandwidth resetting and what a waste as it is just like the segmented run I describe below with almost all the mistakes.

reject

There is no cheating except he does use deaths as quick warps. The quality of the video and audio are okay considering it was N64 for the time.
The actual run I felt was very sloppy. His tactics are slow and it seems he could have refined this run a lot more before submitting it. There is a part where he tries to shoot off a lock with arrows and misses 3 times then swipes it with the claw. Why didn't he do that in the first place? That may seem a silly thing to complain about but he does so many of those things that it's almost like he forgets things. Like he'll come up to an enemy, start shooting it, then 5 seconds later switch to another gun and kill it faster. He should have known that. This is a segmented run so I don't understand these mistakes. I feel a lot needs to be improved.

Reject

Quote:
Video: Well, Turok 2 has probably the worst 3D engine ever made, which results in extremely poor performance even on modern PCs, so framerate is between 5-20 fps, which is not good. Other than that, the video quality looks ok for a console.
Audio: Fine

Segmented run:

First of all, this game has been released on both N64 and PC, which I have already mentioned in "Point out minor typos" thread, but nobody cared. Both versions should have separate categories since there are several differences:

1) You can Save/Load anytime you want on PC while you can only do that via Warp Portal on N64
2) Framerate - N64 = 5-20fps, PC = 30-40fps if you have the correct settings
3) Controllers - Obvious
4) This is unconfirmed, but apparently strafe-running doesn't speed you up that much as on PC
5) Beginning cutscene in the very first level can be skipped on PC

I don't have any experience playing FPS game on a gamepad whatsoever, but when comparing this run to Marshmallow's 6 years old run, I can clearly say this run is much more sloppy and slower. Yes it's Hard difficulty, but his health is always pretty high, thus I think he should have risked more. I especially didn't understand why he had to fight basically every enemy when he can easily skip at least some of them, even on Hard. He would probably loose the same amount of health as he does fighting them or even less. He did not use strafe-running compared to Marshmallow.
I also think Autoaim should be ON to get headshots as many times as possible, because Turok 2 has the worst hitboxes I've ever seen. Even if you aim at the head, you can never be sure you'll hit it. I know this from my own experience speedrunning this game, although on PC. I was getting at least 10 seconds better times and much more reliable kills.

Verdict: REJECT - The runner utilizes new tricks and glitches that have been found since the previous 6 years old run, but the entire speedrun is much worse and slower even though it's Hard difficulty. The runner should have risked more, skip more enemies, taking ammo boxes, crystals and make less mistakes since this run is segmented.

Single-segment run:

This run is actually a bit better than the segmented one. He skips more enemies and actually tries to perform strafe-running sometimes, although not on ladders, which would easily save couple seconds. Nevertheless the run is still pretty unoptimized, sloppy and with many mistakes.

Verdict: REJECT

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure if any more input is needed on this one, but I just watched the segmented run and came to the same conclusion.

Overall, even in the first few levels, this run is filled with indecisivness and missed shots. For much of the run the runner seems adamant to avoid using ammo, choosing to use the melee weapons instead, and yet seems to have plenty of ammo for most weapons.  There are many situations where the runner starts attacking an enemy only to stop and run by afterwards, or starts by using one weapon and switches to another after it takes too long to kill it.  There are many small hangups while moving and jumping.  These problems are prevalent through all the segments.

Verdict: Reject

I'm part way through the SS run, but basically all of the same issues and play styles are there, so unless something amazing happens closer to the end, the result is going to be the same.

Quote:
Video and audio quality were good.

Well, no need to repeat stuff, I agree with what the other verifiers have said.

I especially found it painful in the single-segment run in The Lair of the Blind Ones where you used arrows to kill those big spiders which took ages, then later on you used the Flamethrower which killed them in like 1 second, then later on again arrows...
And yeah, the Primagen's Lightship... Although I can't really blame you too much since everything looks the same Wink

Anyway, rejected, both.

Decision: Reject on both

Reason: These runs are way too sloppy to be hosted here

These runs will be available for a month. PM me for a link.
Thread title: