Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
My feelings on The Demon Rush
Game Page: Doesn't exist yet

Rob 'Mickey Mage' Whitener's run

Verifier Responses

Quote:
I think I'll have to give my first "meh" verdict here

Video quality is kinda bad. It doesn't bother me in the least since it's still very watchable and the framerate seems to be fine, but I don't know if this is acceptable with today's standards for capture and encoding quality. Audio is fine

Gameplay is mostly good, but still sub-par as far as runs of 2D platformers go. Many speed tricks are omitted and it feels like the runner didn't spend much time planning his movements throughout the levels. With the very limited testing I did, I found that there was more than a minute worth of possible improvements, which is quite a lot for a run that's easy to perform, has less than 10 minutes of actual gameplay, and doesn't involve any luck

1-1 : Not much to say

1-2 : The runner mentions in his comments a trick near the end of the level that's supposedly impossible to execute. It's actually doable and easy to do consistently without losing time to set it up. This alone saves ~15 seconds, he could also save a few seconds by jumping earlier on the movie reels

1-3 : Again, contrary to what's stated in the comments, it's possible to hit Tom twice the first time he shows up, and by throwing two marbles with each jump, he could defeat him on his third appearance. About 5 seconds worth of mistakes here

2-1 : Lost like a split second around 3:50, good level otherwise

2-2 : Instead of waiting for the crane to meet the other side of that structure, you can just drop down and walk over the floating platforms at the bottom of the screen. Saves 6-7 seconds

2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3 : All well done, but you can save about 2 seconds off each level with tighter movements

4-1 : This one is played very cautiously, and with clunky platforming. He gets caught on a bunch of objects, loses ~5 seconds

4-2 : Bad route over the aquarium. You can do a long jump directly on the purple thing after the aquarium too. 5 seconds lost

4-3 : This is a very tricky level. He could make it 20-25 seconds faster by hitting Tom three times on each of his patterns, using spare health to pass through all the enemies that are in his way without slowing down and with better execution overall

I'm gonna give this a weak accept. It's easy to improve and I really recommend the runner to do so. Still, it's a decent run that looks good and is certainly better than a non-existing game page

Quote:
Video: No problems
Cheating: Nothing, fine.
Run:

Not much to say really, it was all a very good run. I do wonder if it might've been faster, on the conveyer belts to jump less and try and use the diagonal marble shot to take out some enemies, since you slow down if you jump while on the conveyer belt, or you go slower than you would had you just kept running along with it.

Also, perhaps it may have been faster, on certain rising objects, to jump before reaching your destination, and then jump again so you get a bit of extra height, so you can get on there earlier, but that's just a small suggestion. Other than that, it was a great run, and an easy accept. Well done.

Quote:
This run is pretty tight. In fact, it’s so good that I can really only complain about the last level. The first eleven levels are flawless, and it’s only on the least speedrun-friendly one that he has bad luck. It comes from Tom’s hit detection in the three fights that the runner has with him. Even though some shots hit Tom, they don’t count. Aside from that, this run is a definite accept.

Timing:
Jerry first moved at: 1835 (00:30.614)
Final level ends at: 48340 (13:26.472)
Overall time: 12:55.858

Decision: Accept

Reason: Why not?
Thread title:  
Glitching EB 1 flying man at a time
I can see where the seconds improved for the last level, and I thought about that for awhile. The seconds saved on 1-2 sound iffy but i'll see what I can do about that trick to save more time. The little time saved here or there on other levels will just come as they do. The lego levels are possibly the most bitchy when it comes to movement. I won't be working on this game for awhile, since I'm torn between a lot of games right now (mostly improvements, and possibly even Earthbound), but I will try very hard to improve this at some point down the road.

Thanks for the accept guys, even though it might have been a hard decision for two of you.